Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

failedninja posted:

Those guys must really like Part 5, I can't think of any other reason to include someone like Fugo.

Abbachio makes even less sense, how are you going to fight with Moody Blues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Koichi could work as a stance-based fighter with Echoes' different Acts.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Meme Emulator posted:

Abbachio makes even less sense, how are you going to fight with Moody Blues.
Programming attack patterns into it ala the Capcom game (but unable to cancel the sequence one it's initiated) and duplicating physical attacks from other characters (especially ones that don't make it into the game).

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

On the latter, I don't think that at all because Yoshihiro is far more involved with Kira than Otoishi was and generally acted a sidekick to his son. Even to the point where he acted as a much bigger rear end in a top hat than Kira and protected him while in a friggin' photo.

What it probably comes down to is that Akira has a power that is easily applied to a fighting game, he shoots lightning and can hit people with a guitar, and is notable enough. I wouldn't be surprised if there were characters they considered that either had interesting powers but weren't thought to be big time enough characters to really work into the game, like that guy in Part 4 who thought he was a shapeshifting alien, or characters that they thought were a big enough deal for whatever reason but weren't sure how to use their abilities in a fighting game, like Donatello and Underworld. That said, if we don't at least get an Underworld themed stage where you can get hit by random, charging football players, I will be disappointed.

Rei_ posted:

Koichi could work as a stance-based fighter with Echoes' different Acts.

This would probably be best because they really only need to work in Acts 2 and 3. 3 is supposed to retain the sound effect power anyway, so you have one stance for sound effects that makes Koichi into a trap/projectile character and the other stance where for the make things heavy with punching power that makes Koichi into a brawler or something.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah, Act 3 and his ability to weigh down people, but reduced range could make him a good grapple type in comparison to Act 2 with its more high speed keep-away game.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

yeah, plus Koichi just stops using Act 1 after he gets Act 2, so I really can't see them using it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sex_Ferguson posted:

There is no way they're putting Young Dio (Especially if that list doesn't have Old Joseph)

Actually I think Part 1 Dio could be a full fledged character, his abilities are totally different, icy touch, eyes ripper, boxing...

I think Part 1 Dio has more to him than Old Joseph who didn't have many conventional fights in Part 3.

Fiend Computer posted:

yeah, plus Koichi just stops using Act 1 after he gets Act 2, so I really can't see them using it.

He used Act 1 to survey the area when searching for Kira, because Act 1's range is bigger.

Sherlock Hyde
Jul 22, 2007
I really hope that list is wrong, because if it isn't that means that Soundman might not be in the game, and that would be a massive bummer. I guess his "In a Silent Way" is kinda like Echoes act 2 though...

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
Actually, Echoes Act 1 can be useful in a fight, or at least as a super. Remember, Koichi used it to drive a man to near insanity by having it cause loud sounds right next to his ear drums.

And I hope that list is fake too. If there's one minor antagonist I want from Part V, it's Prosciutto. Though I can understand why he wouldn't be in the game, since they would probably need to make additional models of all the characters being aged.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Pompadour Diamond posted:

Actually, Echoes Act 1 can be useful in a fight, or at least as a super. Remember, Koichi used it to drive a man to near insanity by having it cause loud sounds right next to his ear drums.

And I hope that list is fake too. If there's one minor antagonist I want from Part V, it's Prosciutto. Though I can understand why he wouldn't be in the game, since they would probably need to make additional models of all the characters being aged.

Maybe as a super, but "this sound annoys you a lot" isn't really on the same level as "I wrote 'burn' on you and you burst into flame" for a fighting game.

They could cheat it with Prosciutto by having some sort of marker above the other character, maybe their model gets darker alongside the decreased health and slower movement or something. I don't know if I'd be behind that because that seems like it would be super easy to cheese and it seems like a very limited amount of moves you could have him do. Don't get me wrong, Prosciutto's fine and all. I just don't think his power would work well in a game like this.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

Actually I think Part 1 Dio could be a full fledged character, his abilities are totally different, icy touch, eyes ripper, boxing...

I think Part 1 Dio has more to him than Old Joseph who didn't have many conventional fights in Part 3.

The main problem I have with Part 1 Dio is there's nothing about him that can't be covered by Dio, hell this game is taking cues straight from the Part 3 game which gave Dio his laser eyes too, there's no need to waste time making another Dio model especially when there's not enough unique about him to do so.

onepixeljumpman posted:

They could cheat it with Prosciutto by having some sort of marker above the other character, maybe their model gets darker alongside the decreased health and slower movement or something. I don't know if I'd be behind that because that seems like it would be super easy to cheese and it seems like a very limited amount of moves you could have him do. Don't get me wrong, Prosciutto's fine and all. I just don't think his power would work well in a game like this.

Yeah, Prosciutto would be one of the minor villains from part 5 I'd like above all else, but Grateful Dead is not really a stand that could be applied to a fighting game very practically. They could do what the Part 5 game did where one of his specials "poisons" you to mimic it aging you, but he wouldn't really have a lot to work with unless they gave him a bunch of unique stuff.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Actually, I'd like to see Pesci in the game, with Prosciutto as his support character, like with Hol Horse.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I heard that that list isn't necessarily supposed to be a roster list, but a casting list. That would make a lot more sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The main problem I have with Part 1 Dio is there's nothing about him that can't be covered by Dio, hell this game is taking cues straight from the Part 3 game which gave Dio his laser eyes too, there's no need to waste time making another Dio model especially when there's not enough unique about him to do so.
Seems like you could just give him his fabulous Pt 1 outfit as a skin. If you simply must have Pt 1 Dio, do it like Iron Zangief; tougher, stronger, different supers but essentially the same character. Perhaps replace The World's super abilities with a human-monkey-cat swarm or injecting the vampire chemical into the enemy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nessus posted:

Seems like you could just give him his fabulous Pt 1 outfit as a skin. If you simply must have Pt 1 Dio, do it like Iron Zangief; tougher, stronger, different supers but essentially the same character. Perhaps replace The World's super abilities with a human-monkey-cat swarm or injecting the vampire chemical into the enemy.

Don't forget he can freeze blood and shoots laser eyes, which he doesn't do in Part 3.

Also technically isn't Dio less buff in Part 1 considering Johnathan is bigger than him?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
How the hell is Risotto going to work? I love him as a character but I can't imagine him working in a real-time fighting game.

Is he just going to point at people and their health chips away while a panel tweens on screen of them going "Ow, my blood is knives! :emo:"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
A fight between Risotto and Wham would be a sight to behold...or not.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Morter posted:

How the hell is Risotto going to work? I love him as a character but I can't imagine him working in a real-time fighting game.

He just has to have that blob of liquid metal that represents his stand. He can turn it into weapons to hit guys with, use it as a projectile, use it as a grappling thing, make it into a sheet for a shield. As far as characters go, Risotto would be one of the easier ones to use.

Kurtofan posted:

Don't forget he can freeze blood and shoots laser eyes, which he doesn't do in Part 3.

Also technically isn't Dio less buff in Part 1 considering Johnathan is bigger than him?

As was already brought up, they can just incorporate those things into Part 3 Dio like they did with space ripper stingy eyes in the original fighting game. I think they are doing that with this Dio if I remember.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

onepixeljumpman posted:

As was already brought up, they can just incorporate those things into Part 3 Dio like they did with space ripper stingy eyes in the original fighting game. I think they are doing that with this Dio if I remember.

I don't think they've shown Part 3 Dio do this in this game, only Part 3 related attacks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

I got the loose impression he was not able to use his evil vampire physique to full effect because he was still slowly integrating with Jonathan's body, while The World didn't have that problem other than the time stop issue. He only starts throwing around steamrollers and stuff after juicing up on Joseph's blood drinks.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Nessus posted:

I got the loose impression he was not able to use his evil vampire physique to full effect because he was still slowly integrating with Jonathan's body, while The World didn't have that problem other than the time stop issue. He only starts throwing around steamrollers and stuff after juicing up on Joseph's blood drinks.

I always thought that too, since Dio explains to Hol Horse that because he's not able to regenerate fast enough yet, he doesn't want to risk going out and fighting himself. But then I think about the flesh buds he went around implanting into people. Then again, the eyes and the freezing might be more taxing on his body to use actively, while the bud of flesh is just something he makes then can forget about.

While the eyes and the freezing is cool and all, it would only work on a user's body and not the stand itself. With The World's power, its better to just use all his energy for the stand and the regeneration rather than trying to push those other vampire powers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The answer is Araki completely forgot he had those powers and didn't use them, meanwhile the guys down at Capcom are JJBA fans and of course remember it, so they added lasers to his moves in JJBA. Just add his poo poo from Part 1 to his Part 3 self, there's no reason to make another Dio for like two more moves. There's no canonical reason Dio didn't use them and it's best to not think about it, because Araki certainly didn't either.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 14, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The translation patch for the SNES Stardust Crusaders game is out!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
This is a sacred relic of magic and wonder.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The little dinosaurs in the part 7 poster is the best part.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

The little dinosaurs in the part 7 poster is the best part.

Also loving: the snail getting punched out, the line-up of referential character designs including Chef Excellence, Joespshiro's frown being upside down.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

I tried this out yesterday and it seems pretty neat so far, but how the hell do I save my game?

Also, be wary of glitches. The status menu randomly locks up, and if you don't hit Start immediately as the opening "Jotaro in jail" cutscene plays at the title screen, both the main menu and the first screen of the actual game get really bad graphical glitches.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Simon The Digger posted:

I tried this out yesterday and it seems pretty neat so far, but how the hell do I save my game?

I've been using save states myself.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
You can save at the Speedwagon Foundation, but yeah, I've been save stating too because of the random freezing.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Nice. I think I might do a Let's Play of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Nice. I think I might do a Let's Play of it.

But that's what I was planning to do.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Ah, well you go ahead. I just want to see someone do it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The answer is Araki completely forgot he had those powers and didn't use them, meanwhile the guys down at Capcom are JJBA fans and of course remember it, so they added lasers to his moves in JJBA. Just add his poo poo from Part 1 to his Part 3 self, there's no reason to make another Dio for like two more moves. There's no canonical reason Dio didn't use them and it's best to not think about it, because Araki certainly didn't either.

Dio suddenly not using almost any of his crazy vampire powers and the hamon not really coming up hardly ever in part 3 is one of those quirks of the series, really. There's other stuff like Dio's mysterious ability to see and communicate through the hermet purple's precognition being used upon him, suggesting stuff about bigger and broader psychic powers instead of very specific stand use.

Dio works as a fantastic villain for the end of the arc though - and quite frankly, him using his crazier vampire powers would have complicated things.

Anyway, I think that Araki became very self-conscious about how he was loving with his own storyline via sloppy retconning later on, and this is what lead him to start doing timeline and alternate reality fuckery that gave him more freedom to quite purposefully 'remix' the roles and abilities of his cast. A lot of it does feel like a big self-referential tongue-in-cheek - especially in Steel Ball Run's treatment of the multiple Dios. Much like how Dio's powers changed drastically to something that worked for the end of the arc, Dio towards the end of steel ball run is resurrected from an alternate reality with powers that make for an exciting ending. Also, observe SBR's somewhat more seamless blending of stands and hamon powers.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 15, 2013

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Spacedad posted:

There's other stuff like Dio's mysterious ability to see and communicate through the hermet purple's precognition being used upon him, suggesting stuff about bigger and broader psychic powers instead of very specific stand use.

Actually, this is explained as Jonathan's body developing a stand with the same utility as Hermit Purple. It doesn't really come up again, but it does give Dio and Joseph awareness of when the other one is watching them. I don't think they ever show him using it other than right before everyone boards the plane with Tower of Gray on it, though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Soulcleaver posted:

This is a sacred relic of magic and wonder.

Rohan as a shopped Araki is pretty spot-on :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Actually, this is explained as Jonathan's body developing a stand with the same utility as Hermit Purple. It doesn't really come up again, but it does give Dio and Joseph awareness of when the other one is watching them. I don't think they ever show him using it other than right before everyone boards the plane with Tower of Gray on it, though.

The weird thing about that is that it means The World doesn't actually have anything to do with the Joestars, so The World's similarity to Star Platinum is just a coincidence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

The weird thing about that is that it means The World doesn't actually have anything to do with the Joestars, so The World's similarity to Star Platinum is just a coincidence.
Perhaps The World is the harbinger of things like Soft and Wet. You get weird poo poo if you combine 2x2 "Joestars." e: But only one DIO

Nessus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 15, 2013

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Nessus posted:

Perhaps The World is the harbinger of things like Soft and Wet. You get weird poo poo if you combine 2x2 "Joestars." e: But only one DIO

I'm thinking of it as something like this: despite Jonathan's body developing its own stand, maybe it still had a degree of influence over what Dio's stand turned out like. So, even though The World is Dio's stand, its similarities to Star Platinum could be explained by Dio effectively having Joestar blood running through his veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Well, Stands are basically manifestations of the spirit, so DIO would have The World regardless of which body his head is planted on. That said, DIO does go on and on about how his antagonistic relationship with the Joestars completes him, so a Joestar having a Stand similar to his own isn't that far-fetched.

Mostly though it's that Star Platinum would be the world's most Stand if it didn't have sudden time stopping powers.

• Locked thread