Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Koichi and Echoes are going to be voiced by Romi Park.

This is endlessly amusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

I think Japan's kinda taken notice.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Jojolion 20 is out. It is surreal as hell and it looks like we're going to see Joushuu's stand.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hahaha Araki has been hitting some serious :catdrugs: this Arc. I guess the Robbing Road dudes are supposed to be this universe's version of "Fatty" Shigekyo due to the fact that the tiny dudes reminded me of Harvest? Also Joushuu can unscrew people's body parts out goddamn

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
His stand looks like Pinhead. Anyway I love abilities like this, and Joushuu is obviously good at thinking on his feet so I'm excited to see how he'll use it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Plutonis posted:

Hahaha Araki has been hitting some serious :catdrugs: this Arc. I guess the Robbing Road dudes are supposed to be this universe's version of "Fatty" Shigekyo due to the fact that the tiny dudes reminded me of Harvest? Also Joushuu can unscrew people's body parts out goddamn

I don't think those are their stands, it's probably a stand similar to the tree one in SBR

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Plutonis posted:

It seemed more like Venus Flytrap to me. A Stand in a set location that can gently caress you over but you can also use to do crazy stuff when you figure out how it works

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

It seemed more like Venus Flytrap to me. A Stand in a set location that can gently caress you over but you can also use to do crazy stuff when you figure out how it works

You mean Superfly?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I can't quite figure out how the leaves stand works. Does it just move you in a set direction when you're pushed? How did it make Josuke beat up those cops?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Red Bones posted:

I can't quite figure out how the leaves stand works. Does it just move you in a set direction when you're pushed? How did it make Josuke beat up those cops?

I think all it does is just move you with the leaves under your feet. So it just shifted Josuke in a way that made him hit the cops. Also it seems to be able to quickly move stuff under the leaves around fast, hence the attempted drug deal.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

It's terrible waiting a month for more jojo. Jojolion is unbelievable and I wish it released more often.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Akira and Koichi detailed a bit.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

How far are the retranslations in Part 4? I'm itching to reread Part 3, and It'd be nice if Part 4 was finished soon so I could go through it in a solid week with non-lovely translation.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ineffiable posted:

How far are the retranslations in Part 4? I'm itching to reread Part 3, and It'd be nice if Part 4 was finished soon so I could go through it in a solid week with non-lovely translation.

Its been 3/4ths done forever. I dont know whats holding up the last bit, but id say just go ahead and read it. Duwang gets better as it goes along, and that last quarter makes 100x more sense than the first quarter does.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The retrans is currently up to Highway Star.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Meme Emulator posted:

Duwang gets better as it goes along, and that last quarter makes 100x more sense than the first quarter does.

When I was young and stupid (somewhere in High School), I had read all of part 4 Duwang-style and never really had an issue with it.

Somewhere, there was a point where Okuyasu and Josuke where spreading false rumors about Koichi, where one went "Koichi steals???" and Josuke replied "No diggity".

It took me about 2 pages before my mind did a double take and I had to go back and realize what he was saying. Reading over the speech balloon 5 times over I finally realized Josuke was saying "No dignity."

But at that moment, it made so much sense. What a beautiful DUWANG :downs:.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I was checking out Jojo fanarts in Pixiv and for some reason Prosciutto's stand is often written as "Greatful Dead" rather than "Grateful Dead", and the official Chinese translation is 偉大之死 which is something like "great dead".

Did the fans/translation mess it up or is Araki deliberately using that spelling instead of the straight band name?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Probably just a translation messup due to hoow the Japanese language is translated.

Speaking of, can anyone confirm the rumor I head that Aqua Necklace was really just a DUWANG of Aqualung?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Nah, Aqua Necklace is its actual name, or at least that's how all the official artbooks and such translated it. I'm not really sure what the reference is supposed to be, although the Jojo wiki purports that it's referencing 'Aqua' by Asia which I really don't know about.

Also, just for reference, its Duwang name was 'Silver Chain.' Dunno if that was a Duwang translation error or just an error that came from the original Japanese -> Chinese translation, though.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008

Jeek posted:

I was checking out Jojo fanarts in Pixiv and for some reason Prosciutto's stand is often written as "Greatful Dead" rather than "Grateful Dead", and the official Chinese translation is 偉大之死 which is something like "great dead".

Did the fans/translation mess it up or is Araki deliberately using that spelling instead of the straight band name?

Araki messed up the translation.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Also, just for reference, its Duwang name was 'Silver Chain.' Dunno if that was a Duwang translation error or just an error that came from the original Japanese -> Chinese translation, though.

The Chinese official translation of Aqua Necklace is 銀水鏈 which, when translated literally, would be "silver water chain". The DUWANG translator probably thought that "water" is awkward and left it out.

Speaking of DUWANG, I would probably do the same thing if I were a big fan of Jojo back then and knew that the English world was desperate for a translation. There would probably be no such gem as "a feeling so complicated" though. :shobon:

AntAskew
Apr 25, 2013
I've only been a fan of jojos for a short while. I started reading the manga and then the anime was released.

I put the manga to one side and really got Into the anime. I just hope stardust crusaders lives up to battle tendency.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Oh, it will, trust me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ryaomon posted:

Probably just a translation messup due to hoow the Japanese language is translated.

Speaking of, can anyone confirm the rumor I head that Aqua Necklace was really just a DUWANG of Aqualung?

Nope, Aqua Necklace is used in the commercial quality French edition.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

2nd OST is out. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hzd66mcsinx6xl6

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just finished Stardust Crusaders and was blown away. Really lives up to its title.

But I'm wondering how much of the Ripple will we ever see again? Or has the rest of the manga gone full-Stand territory ever since?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The Ripple will literally never appear again, although part 7 introduces a non-Stand ability that is somewhat similar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Ripple will appear one more time and be proven as completely useless. Just as good, Stands are a million times better.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Fair enough. It can't be the Joestars who are having all the fun! Sometimes my head just hurts trying to parse the Stand battles, though. In which I should just reread Part 2.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

So for a school project I made this. Contains spoilers for Part 3.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Cook Polnareff, Native American Abdul, Sheriff Jonathan Joestar and cowboy Hol Horse?

I am sorry, but the quality is so bad that it warps back into being hilarious.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Yeah, the thing with Alice is that you have to work with pre-made models. You can edit them a bit, but you aren't given too much leeway.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Vol. 42 of the retranslation is out: http://www.mediafire.com/?5n3u2y9bp2wgbyz

What is it with Kira and cats? Stray Cat is a good stand name but it should have been Pet Sematary instead. :v:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Which one of the seasons is considered the weakest one? I'm on Vento Aureo and it's killing my will to keep reading Jojo. This jojo barely does anything, all the characters are pretty weak and it's a real bummer to see how the plot is developing considering the potential of the main character's background.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Vento Aureo is generally (and correctly) considered to be the lamest. A dull protagonist, a dumb villain, and not as many cool fights as the rest if the parts. The lousy translation doesn't help, either. It does, however, have some cool supporting characters and the greatest stand, Sticky Fingers.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Soulcleaver posted:

Vento Aureo is generally (and correctly) considered to be the lamest. A dull protagonist, a dumb villain, and not as many cool fights as the rest if the parts. The lousy translation doesn't help, either. It does, however, have some cool supporting characters and the greatest stand, Sticky Fingers.

Hey, Bruno was awesome.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

nerdz posted:

Which one of the seasons is considered the weakest one? I'm on Vento Aureo and it's killing my will to keep reading Jojo. This jojo barely does anything, all the characters are pretty weak and it's a real bummer to see how the plot is developing considering the potential of the main character's background.

Vento Auero and Stone Ocean are the weakest, imo.

Stone Ocean improves in every regard but I got serious fight fatigue around that point and it seems like Jolyne never got to take a break from constantly getting into fights.

Steel Ball Run reaches a much better balance.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soulcleaver posted:

Some of the fights are pretty great, it's the strong part of Part V.

Article on Jojo All Star Battle: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/02/jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle-is-ultimately-about-reading-your-opponents-moves/

quote:

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure is a franchise that fighting game fans should be quite familiar with, even if they’ve never read the manga series or watched the anime, largely due to the Capcom 2D fighter first released in arcades over a decade ago. The game was re-released now re-mastered in HD for Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network.

Matsuyama allay any fears that All-Star Battle might turn out to be just like the Naruto Shippuden games, which are accessible to anime fans, but otherwise alienating fans of core fighting games such as Street Fighter IV or Persona 4 Arena.

"JoJo is ultimately about reading your opponent’s moves in a fight, more so than in Naruto," Matsuyama said when we asked him how All-Star Battle would be different from their Naruto fighting games. "And so the style and controls here are shaping up here more like a conventional fighting game," he continued.

"Having said that, our mindset here is that we’re not exactly tailor-making the title to suit the tastes of hardcore fighting game fans. Rather, we’re striving to make a game that JoJo fans will enjoy."

As a fan of the manga series himself, Matsuyama also mentioned that his favourite character throughout the entire franchise is Part IV’s Rohan Kishibe, but that his favourite storyline over all is that of Part V.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Vento Auero and Stone Ocean are the weakest, imo.

Stone Ocean improves in every regard but I got serious fight fatigue around that point and it seems like Jolyne never got to take a break from constantly getting into fights.

Steel Ball Run reaches a much better balance.
I honestly think the main problem with Stone Ocean is fatigue. I'm going to assume that most people binged all of Jojo up through the majority of Stone Ocean at least, since it finished up back in 2003. There are only so many uninterrupted crazy fights one can take. It didn't help that you just slogged through Vento Auero, which had little going for it outside of a few fights and Bruno, and had an absolutely exhausting nonsensical finale (which admittedly is kind of par for the course).

Stone Ocean is a lot better. The fights are a lot more interesting, as are the characters, as is the premise. In fact, I think they're all really good. But like you said, there's just so many fights, and they tend to have increasingly elaborate and over the top premises.

I think most of the bad things about Stone Ocean, including my own less than stellar first impressions, would be greatly ameliorated if people took a nice long break after part 5 before getting into it.

I guess that's still a problem with Stone Ocean, as Steel Ball Run has no such issue. It's just utterly fantastic and fresh that you there's no sort of drag at all from binging it right after the entirety of Jojo before it.

Edit: I've heard of people liking part 5 (Japanese people especially?) but I've never really understood why. And I don't mean that in an arrogant "I have better taste" way, I'd really like to enjoy part 5 more, so it'd be cool if someone could explain why it'd be well received.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I honestly think Phantom Blood is the weakest part of the series. Parts 5 and 6 aren't far behind it, and it's true that they have a lot of issues of their own, but I think they make up for their shortcomings more than part 1. I don't think 1 has much going for it other than being endearingly goofy. 5 has a lot of issues with the main cast and 6 is kind of exhausting to read, but (5 especially) they do have some of the coolest fights in the series.

• Locked thread