Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

The weird thing about that is that it means The World doesn't actually have anything to do with the Joestars, so The World's similarity to Star Platinum is just a coincidence.

Well, Stands are basically manifestations of the spirit, so DIO would have The World regardless of which body his head is planted on. That said, DIO does go on and on about how his antagonistic relationship with the Joestars completes him, so a Joestar having a Stand similar to his own isn't that far-fetched.

Mostly though it's that Star Platinum would be the world's most Stand if it didn't have sudden time stopping powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Err, yeah, I meant Star Platinum is the world's most boring stand, what with its power being punching really fast, a power that's already shared by many Stands even in Part 3. Hell, being the fastest melee stand was already kinda Silver Chariot's thing. It's just kinda jarring to read through progressively crazier stands and then look back to Star Platinum.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Eiba posted:

I think most of the bad things about Stone Ocean, including my own less than stellar first impressions, would be greatly ameliorated if people took a nice long break after part 5 before getting into it.

That must be it. After binging through all of Vento Aureo and starting immediately with Stone Ocean, I got tired after its first volume and stopped reading for a good month or two. When I got back to Stone Ocean and then binged it, I wounded up loving. It's probably my second-favorite part right after Steel Ball Run.

I guess the moral of the story is that Vento Aureo just completely kills your ability to read and enjoy more JoJo.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Being hit by KC pauses the game and leads to a prolonged debate on just how his powers are supposed to work. Whoever cannot deal with that tedious argument anymore and leaves loses the match.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Fiend Computer posted:

This trailer just makes me want to get this game all the more. It looks like there are alternate skins for the characters, so hopefully they'll give Jotaro his part four outfit and Kira as Kawajiri. Maybe even some of the splash art made into in game outfits. :allears:

Well, considering Kira's description didn't have any of his post-makeover attacks, odds are we're gonna have two Kiras rather than Kira having alternate models.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The pretentious answer is it's King Crimson's natural counterpart. Whereas Diavolo was all about results mattering, not how you achieve them and therefore having a Stand that basically deletes everything leading up to his desired results, Giorno as an anime protagonist learns it's the journey that counts, not the destination, so GER works as a polar opposite to King Crimson: It deletes the destination, repeating the journey. That's why King Crimson's power didn't work, and that's why he experiences dying over and over, because GER deleted the end result of dying, death.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I hope Fugo's gimmick is throwing the match and leaving if his health falls below 50%.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

From what I heard Araki just considered his stand overpowered, so he wrote him out of the story.

I honestly found it kinda cool, actually. You don't often see people on the protagonist's side in these kinda stories go "gently caress that poo poo, I don't wanna die fighting impossible odds". It's a surprisingly reasonable stance when the genre standard is everyone deciding to fight for friendship or what have you after ten seconds of thoughts.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

onepixeljumpman posted:

Iggy is voiced by Shigeru Chiba, which I'm for because Iggy sounding like an annoyed old man is perfect, and Fugo is voiced by Hisao Egawa.

Also, I like that Iggy gets to turn The Fool into Shadow Dio from the Part 3 game. I hope that becomes a trend.

Actually Iggy created a fake sand Dio to fool Vanilla Ice in the manga, I'm pretty sure that's what they're referencing rather than the old fighting game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Does Valentine have a napkin attack, this is important.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Now he knows how Fugo feels.

Fugo just saying gently caress it and leaving the story was my favorite part of Part 5. Right after the torture dance, anyway.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

He saw himself in the future. Diavolo can temporarily give Epitaph to other people.

It's been a while since I read Part V, but didn't he "give" Epitaph only to his split personality? Doppio probably always had King Crimson and just convinced himself his boss gave him Epitaph to keep his delusion going. You know, like how he uses ice cream cones as phones and poo poo.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Polnareff is the loving best, the anime should just skip all episodes before he is introduced.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Bruno didn't die because he was too loving badass to let some minor thing like death affect him, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

No matter what Araki says this will always be true in my heart.

As for Diavolo, his shtick was all how results matter, not how you get there, so his Stand is all about time-skipping and the confusing poo poo he does during time-skips. GER is its polar opposite, it removes the result but keeps the action leading up to it hence why it's effectively immune to King Crimson and can nullify it.

VVV Part 3 ends with Jotaro learning that he can also stop time and being able to beat him only because of that. Also learning to fly or something? Compared to that using the established power-up arrow to power yourself up to beat the antagonist isn't quite as out of nowhere.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 23, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Jolyne's the best, just wait until her ex enters the story again.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

That's what I really liked about scene. He wasn't just some two-bit douchebag, he was honestly regretful over ruining his girlfriend's life to get on with his own, but at that point Jolyne went through so many near-death situations that I honestly couldn't begrudge her for getting in some cheap revenge.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Soulcleaver posted:

Dio's powers like body freezing or Space Ripper Stingy Eyes, all of which would have definitely come in handy on many occasions.

Would they though? In Part 3 at least stands are completely unaffected by anything that's not a stand as well so he wouldn't be able to block stand attacks by freezing, and his eye beams would be subject to stopping time.

Then again if he had just laser-eyed Jotaro when he was pretending to be dead Jotaro wouldn't be pretending anymore, so.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nahxela posted:

Also, freezing time and throwing knives and unfreezing time is infinitely cooler than eye water lasers.

I'd love to see the list of games and animes that unabashedly copy DIO's stop time and throw knives routine. That more than anything is probably Jojo's most iconic thing.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

You can gain a Stand by perfecting a skill hard enough. It's like how Tonio got his Stand by practising cooking like a motherfucker.

Underutilising Tonio was Part 4's greatest failing. Hell, underutilizing most stand users that weren't Okuyasu, Koichi and Rohan was. They all showed up to those "pose together to show that poo poo's getting real" shots but then never actually did anything.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pocoloco is a true American hero.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If stands are based on the user's body rather than their soul the gang from Part 5 would've suddenly ended up with each other's stands when Silver Chariot Requiem did its mind-swapping shenanigans. Also alternate universe Dio from Part 7 had The World and he wasn't a vampire using his arch-rival's body.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tubular Bells is the one that made attack dog balloon animals out of nails, right? Because if so that's basically brilliant.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I still don't get how the dude in part 5 who can turn your blood into razor blades didn't just instantly murder anyone he fought with.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Everyone just reads this to watch fabulous men pose anyway.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, if you take a wide enough definition of "hinge," you could just straight-up delete people's knees and elbows.

Taking stand powers to their logical extremes and then beyond is what JoJo is all about. Araki's at his best when he still works within the "constraints" of the stands he makes up, it's why I found the final confrontation in Part 3 so disappointing. It starts out with Jotaro having to try to outmaneuver a vastly superior opponent, then it ended with "by the way, I CAN STOP TIME WHILE YOU'RE STOPPING TIME". Also they learned how to fly for some reason?

Compare to say, Jolyne (spoilered in case Pomp hasn't reached this part yet) turning her torso into a Mobius strip to counter her torso being turned inside out. Honestly, I think having the shittiest stand In theory went a long way in making Jolyne my favourite Jojo.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dio was at his best in Part 6 when he was chilling on a bed with Pucci reading books. Anyone remember which chapter that happened in? It's seriously one of my favourite all-time JoJo panels.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nessus posted:

Some rumors of storyline alterations, spoilering just in case: In an ultra jump interview, David Productions said that Araki suggested 'some stuff he'd like to have done,' including that "one of the villains who initially stays a villain will join the group in our adaptation." My guess: Hol Horse just goes to the Enya situation with the group.

Finally, guy with one strong arm who drives a car gets the proper spot he always deserved.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

yes but how does king crimson work

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'll go against the grain here and say you can skip part 1. The main take-away is that proper breathing techniques kill vampires and vampires can put their heads on other people's bodies.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Like half the final Jojo antagonists have their stand powers alluded to halfway through only to have those allusions get contradicted or otherwise made silly when the stand power gets actually codified for the final confrontation. Like CJ said, Araki probably just figured he'll give Valentine weird alternate-reality powers but didn't bother actually fleshing them out or thinking them through until near the end.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Chibs posted:

Remember DIO? He's back! In raptor form. Maybe next time...

Not including Diego Brando and alternate universe Diego Brando are the game's two biggest flaws, really.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Diego is the only character in SBR that's exactly the same as his namesake. Having him voiced by anyone else just wouldn't make sense.

Does he have a move where he blocks an attack by covering himself with fangirls tho. It's the only thing I want out of this game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I love that MANDOM gets his own little corner on that picture. Ringo Roadagain is pretty much the only monster-of-the-week in Jojo I wish we'd have gotten more of.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 29, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Strings are kinda soft I suppose.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

But how does Jotaro and DIO learning how to fly in the last battle figure into this.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Isn't Rohan also an anti-social, arrogant douchebag? I am pretty sure Araki is on record saying that Rohan isn't based on him at all in the first place.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If there's one thing about JoJo that never stopped being eighties as gently caress it's eye-popping gore.

Also didn't Araki explicitly deny that Steel Ball Run is the result of the ending of Stone Ocean? I coulda sworn he just felt like starting JoJo from a mostly blank slate again independent from the whole universal reset ending of part 6.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I dunno, it was the torture dance that really sold me on part 5. If there's one thing about Vento Aureo I wanna see animated, it's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The moment Jotaro was born he became a racist grandpa, as is the fate of all grandpas. Not that it's too surprising for a man who chummed it up with a Nazi war criminal anyway.

• Locked thread