Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I heard that that list isn't necessarily supposed to be a roster list, but a casting list. That would make a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Jojolion 20 is out. It is surreal as hell and it looks like we're going to see Joushuu's stand.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I honestly think Phantom Blood is the weakest part of the series. Parts 5 and 6 aren't far behind it, and it's true that they have a lot of issues of their own, but I think they make up for their shortcomings more than part 1. I don't think 1 has much going for it other than being endearingly goofy. 5 has a lot of issues with the main cast and 6 is kind of exhausting to read, but (5 especially) they do have some of the coolest fights in the series.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I wish Giorno had shown up, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure GER could've completely shut down Stairway to Heaven and ruined the entire ending.

Jotaro really should have called his Morioh friends in for backup. If Koichi had been around, Pucci would have been mega-hosed.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I can't tell what's going on in the pages right before Johnny gets crushed by the rock. It looks to me like he uses Tusk Act 4 to shoot his son, then he goes flying back from the shot and the disease passes on to him. Then I can't tell what happens between then and the rock crushing his head.

Since the narration specifically said that the holy corpse can "take things away", I'm guessing that Jousuke is a combination of Kira's corpse (killed by whoever that was Jousuke saw at the end of the apartment fight) and the holy corpse.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Part 5 is pretty good all the way through, but I definitely think the intro is its strongest part. After the main team gets assembled it starts sliding downhill.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The decision to show off the game through AI players is totally nonsensical. Who is that supposed to appeal to? Is there anyone who would be turned off by seeing two reasonably skilled human players fight? I know the game isn't going to be that technical of a fighter, so it might not look THAT impressive when played well, but surely grabbing any two interns out of the CC2 office would result in videos that sell the game more than what they're doing now.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The impression I got is that the universe that was made after Pucci died is not like the one he would have made with Made in Heaven at all. Jolyne and Jotaro were replaced with vaguely similar people in the universe that Pucci made, but their second replacements that we see in the ending look (and mostly act) identical.

This is just speculation and it might be kind of nonsensical, but I think the idea is in the JJBA setting, the universe (and Earth, and humanity) are going to go through that cycle again and again. So even if Pucci hadn't done anything, trillions of years after parts one through six take place and after that planet has died off, there will be another Earth and the story will happen again, but not the exact same way. When Pucci used Made in Heaven, he ended the current cycle and then replaced the next cycle with a copy of the current one. But when Emporio killed him, the universe "snapped back" to what it would have been if he hadn't interfered, and everyone was properly replaced or reincarnated. So I don't believe that Josuke, Giorno, or any of the old characters aside from Emporio actually exist in the world we see at the end of part 6.

I also don't believe that the world at the end of part 6 is the same one parts 7 and 8 take place in. I think Araki ended part 6 the way he did so he could wipe the slate clean and leave that continuity behind.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
That scan looks really, really fake.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The new Jojolion is out.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Morter posted:

I read one half of SBR a very long time ago...and finished it up recently. I don't remember when exactly the "buff" Valentine showed up. I thought it was a gradual thing rather than something instant. Can someone point around when non-fat Valentine(s) show up?

No, it's a sudden shift. The last time you see fat Valentine is when he steals the corpse at the end of the Civil War fight, and the next time you see him (with Lucy, in the scene where she gets found out), he's buff.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
No, the OPs didn't come out before the episodes did.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

I don't see how the Time stop stands won't be completely broken. You just have to get within a few feet of someone, stop time, kill them.

So it's just like the actual series, then.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'm not going to defend Gold Experience Requiem too hard because it makes for an unsatisfying ending, but I don't think it was really an asspull. The whole point of the last act of Vento Aureo is that whoever gets the arrow first wins; Giorno becoming unbeatable as soon as he grabs it wasn't really a surprise.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

The way it sounds, it's pretty much a worse version of The World then. Not really a bad thing I guess, but I was expecting something way more confusing the way I've heard people talk about it.

The thing that makes King Crimson one of the strongest stands in the series is that it makes Diavolo completely invincible provided he doesn't gently caress up. As long as Diavolo is using Epitaph to watch the future, he can always erase any period of time where he gets attacked. His offensive powers might be a little weaker than The World, but his defense is much stronger than just about any other stand.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

Speaking of part 5's translation, I didn't understand part of Diavolo's backstory. His mother was in jail, but who was the person they found buried? They said his mother was the reason she was there, but that didn't seem to have any purpose or make any sense.

That was a translation fuckup. The person they found buried was his mother.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I got "One Heart" with the power to completely destroy the universe.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
If Diavolo could act completely freely during time skips, I think things probably would have gone differently. The impression I got was that during times when he appeared to act during time skips (when he grabbed Trish out of the elevator, and when he killed Narancia), he was actually just using the time skips to cover up his attacks (skipping through the periods of time immediately before and after he attacked). I don't remember him ever being shown attacking anyone during the periods of time he erased.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Doesn't he splash blood in someone's eyes during the erased time once?

I think he throws it so that it floats in front of their face, instead of directly putting it in their eyes.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
People say "deus ex machina, Giorno just got lucky and got a power that perfectly countered King Crimson" but I don't think that's really the case. I get the feeling if Polnareff could properly control Silver Chariot Requiem, he could have beaten Diavolo just as easily. Same for any requiem stand. I won't disagree that it kind of makes for an unsatisfying fight (although it is satisfying to see Diavolo be completely crushed and humiliated, at least), but it was already established that requiem stands are on a completely different level than regular stands.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I dunno, the end of Cheap Trick was pretty amazing. I didn't see it coming, at least.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think he means that in that prospective barebones rework of the series, Polnareff would be largely irrelevant. It'd be hard to deny that he's among the most focused-on members of the man cast in the actual story.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Well, if it weren't for Dio, the pillar men probably would have ended up conquering humanity, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Pomp posted:

I can't believe anybody expected or wanted muda muda to be translated, jesus christ.

Not translating it in part 1 is totally nonsensical from the point of view of someone reading through part 1 for the first time. Yeah it's iconic (and somewhat untranslatable given the context) in part 3, I get that's why they're leaving it untranslated, but that doesn't mean people checking these new official translations out as their first Jojo experience aren't going to go "uhh wtf" at some random word being left in Japanese. I think leaving The World's battlecry as-is and sticking in a translation note saying "this is 'useless useless', you know, Dio's catchphrase" would have been a lot more elegant.

• Locked thread