Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The main problem I have with Part 1 Dio is there's nothing about him that can't be covered by Dio, hell this game is taking cues straight from the Part 3 game which gave Dio his laser eyes too, there's no need to waste time making another Dio model especially when there's not enough unique about him to do so.
Seems like you could just give him his fabulous Pt 1 outfit as a skin. If you simply must have Pt 1 Dio, do it like Iron Zangief; tougher, stronger, different supers but essentially the same character. Perhaps replace The World's super abilities with a human-monkey-cat swarm or injecting the vampire chemical into the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Don't forget he can freeze blood and shoots laser eyes, which he doesn't do in Part 3.

Also technically isn't Dio less buff in Part 1 considering Johnathan is bigger than him?
I got the loose impression he was not able to use his evil vampire physique to full effect because he was still slowly integrating with Jonathan's body, while The World didn't have that problem other than the time stop issue. He only starts throwing around steamrollers and stuff after juicing up on Joseph's blood drinks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

The weird thing about that is that it means The World doesn't actually have anything to do with the Joestars, so The World's similarity to Star Platinum is just a coincidence.
Perhaps The World is the harbinger of things like Soft and Wet. You get weird poo poo if you combine 2x2 "Joestars." e: But only one DIO

Nessus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 15, 2013

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, where'd this outlet come from? poo poo I'M MAGNETS.
"Strange, veal scallopini usually doesn't make someone's thigh muscles burst out of their skin."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Uznare posted:

Nah, theres an explanation around volume 57(?) or so, where they talk about the meteorite and it's likened to natural selection. The crappy scans don't really explain it that way because they just make poo poo up on the spot.
This poo poo really makes me think Araki had a half-assed idea to make Stands derive from Cars somehow.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Some rumors of storyline alterations, spoilering just in case: In an ultra jump interview, David Productions said that Araki suggested 'some stuff he'd like to have done,' including that "one of the villains who initially stays a villain will join the group in our adaptation." My guess: Hol Horse just goes to the Enya situation with the group.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

So would mean Hol Horse becoming a good guy.
Not necessarily! It would probably be relatively simple for him to tell the Joestar crew that he was being threatened and wants to help them take down Dio after all and put the blame for Abdul on J. Geil. (Or perhaps they're just going to drop the "Abdul dies" angle since he comes back anyway.) He attempts to sell them out but Enya is like "gently caress you, I'll feed you your own balls" and he has to actually cooperate with them to save his own rear end. Story resumes more or less normal track when they hit that guy with the Lovers.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 18, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

darealkooky posted:

Also Dio can for some reason know that Joseph is spying on him and use a crystal ball to show Abdul something, which is the actual thing that doesn't make any sense.

Granted as a vampire Dio could somehow make dogpeople so he just does whatever the gently caress he wants.
Pretty much, if it wasn't for Stands this would've been a long weekend for Joseph

I heard that in France and such, Polnareff is 'Eiffel' so that might just be localization for the EU release. Here's hoping!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mimir posted:

Hey, remind me: what was Dio's plan in Part 3, anyway? was he just trying to build up his time-stop ability and freeze the world, or was he after world domination like in Part 1, or what? I realized I couldn't recall.
DIO seemed to just be hanging out but his malign influence was what was awakening Stands in the Joestars. This specifically started killing Jotaro's mom. I believe it is also implied that drinking Joestar blood would greatly accelerate Dio harmonizing with Jonathan's body and therefore increasing his time stop duration.

I don't think anyone questioned the morality of hunting down Dio to kill him over something he had no idea he was doing, on account of he was an evil vampire with a magic ghost power.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kabanaw posted:

I still love how clear Araki made it that Dio is not a tragic villain. He pre-empted people thinking that he was only selfish and cruel because he had abusive parents and grew up poor by having Speedwagon say "No dude, it doesn't matter how this guy was raised, he is evil as poo poo." :allears:
Araki knew people would like the attractive blond killer man a little too much, perhaps :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I still can't get over the fact that they had to change Kiss and Echoes yet they were able to keep Soft and Wet.
Perhaps Araki's been able to enslave Prince with the bud of flesh, so he won't be a problem.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

They kept Funny Valentine yet they changed Pucci to "Pucchi". I don't even understand.
Girl, you need Pucci control.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

pinegala posted:

He was transitioning out, but the whole knife throw by Dio was because Joseph wrapped himself in ripple infused Hermit Purple.
I thought that's why he smashed the building beneath Joseph?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I never said he was any good to begin with :v:

Seriously, from this

to this

Jesus Christ araki :anime:
Huh, I thought Smokey looked a lot more wacky than that in the original. (Not that his anime edition isn't better.) As for the other one, dear God she literally has a banana, what the gently caress

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm also in for a Jojo tabletop thing, I remember posting something JJBA-related in one of the game design threads once. Sadly it had no rules so I'm useless (useless, useless). I do remember that it seemed like M&M would permit you to model Stands but you'd have to somehow mandate the acquistion of lengthy weird-rear end limitations, above and beyond "Stand."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sleepy Owl posted:

I liked part 1, but I'd almost rather it end where the mansion burned down. Zeppeli is great, but the whole Tarkus and Blueford bit was kind of tedious. Not sure how that'd segue into the next parts though. v:v:v
Yeah this is pretty wrong in terms of opinions. I'd say the mansion burning down represents the point at which we truly enter the Jojo's Space, which we have not yet departed, and God willing, never shall.

Now that said it is kind of neat how up to that point it could just be a gothic horror show.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pt 9: A slice of life focused on a wacky marine institution struggling with addressing the challenges of climate change, funding, and academic culture, made a little spicier by those wacky names and some of the people having Stands, that they use for mischief. Two volumes in, Dr. Kujo gets back from overseas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

RubberLuffy posted:

It's really kinda baffling how many comments and such I've seen since Stardust started airing about how "Hamon" was way better and more interesting, and "why doesn't Joseph teach it to Jotaro, it'd be more useful than a Stand".

I mean, Stands are the iconic JoJo power, and have been really influential and whatnot. So it's weird that people are acting like the show is "less original" now than it was in Parts 1 and 2. Now I'm curious how Japan reacted when the manga switched to Part 3 and Stands.
Even if you thought Stands were bland at this point, and I can see how that might come to light, the implicit way the fights are structured has been real good. It's making em appreciate them all the more. J. Geil and Hol Horse are yucking it up in large part, I imagine, because they know how Kakyoin and Polnareff work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

What? Dio lost because Jotaro outsmarted him with a properly placed time stop. Polnareff did save Jotaro in one of many moments where he nearly killed him, but it's not as if Polnareff is entirely responsible for Dio's defeat. He still ended up not putting a dent in Dio's offense, but he did distract Dio long enough so Jotaro could get back up and crush his skull.

So if you mean Polnareff acting as bait made him more useful than most other allies in the past, I guess you could say that, sure. I mean it was a team effort that they figured out Dio could stop time, but chances are Jotaro would've figured it out anyways given he started moving through the stopped time without realizing he could do that to begin with.
The crew also were able to support Jotaro effectively and are basically why he managed to get that far. Without Kakyoin they likely would've died in a plane crash, etc. Besides which, Kakyoin actually was the one who figured out The World's power, wasn't he?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

If I'm correct in recalling my JoJo trivia, it isn't translated super-literally, but rather the exact opposite. Like, the people doing the translations outright couldn't read Japanese with anywhere near the level of fluency demanded by a translation project, leading to them doing a lot of :effort: stuff and outright making poo poo up because they couldn't read the words on the page well enough. And not even in an endearing way, like the duwang guys, just in an incredibly :geno: way.

That's the reason why, for instance, nobody in the English-speaking world knows how King Crimson works.
As I recall, Duwang was duwang as hell but got the actual plot right if you scrape past the rat gutter sickness sex crimes, while Part 5 was plausible and grammatical but also wrong.

In short, Duwang is the way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was rereading the Justice chapter of Stardust Crusaders, and I can't help but notice something.

The problem that Jotaro points out to Enya is that she called him Jotaro when he signed Qtaro in the sign-in book.

But she also refers to Kakyoin as Noriaki Kakyoin, and his name is signed Tenmei Kakyoin.

Do they ever explain that?

Ah, I found an answer on Tumblr. Tenmei is apparently an alternate pronunciation of Noriaki. So, it's either an error or Kakyoin was suspicious, too.
Like anyone ever calls him anything other than Kakyoin.

I also like how nobody told Polnareff this particular scheme, but then he's pretty hard to conceal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Star Platinum posted:

Speaking of Phantom Blood, I only recently discovered that "Wang Chung" was a music reference too. I thought it was just an unfortunate stereotype like his design. :downs:
Had he survived, his Stand would have been Dance Hall Daze.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The blood-brain barrier would clearly prevent Joseph from using the Ripple on his own brain without possibly scrambling his eggs. Young Joseph would have probably improved from the experience but old Joseph has things to do and Japanese women to cheat on his wife with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Polnareff does say it takes a lot of "stand energy" to make them this size, I guess there's no other fights where it's worth making your stand tiny.
Yeah, they seem to remain proportionately as fast, so all shrinking them down would do is hide them. Maybe? I don't know.

I mean some of them are tiny on their own.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It always bothered me how senile and oddly characterized Joseph is in Part IV.

But after seeing the Lovers literally bores through his brain and tears up a number of his brain cells, maybe that's not so unrealistic.
Well, he was in his early 70s, right? Obviously he was doing well thanks to the Hamon, but he was probably less assiduous than Lisa Lisa, and Lisa Lisa was also only 50 or so when we met her. (Doesn't Joseph mention speaking with her, at least in the manga, as if she was still alive at the time? We know Suzie Q is, and I don't think she had the ripple...)

Leaving aside the stress of the situation, he gets beat up repeatedly, has a Stand suck juice out of him until he kills it, has Polnareff loving around in his brain, gets knocked around in a bunch of different ways, has his blood sucked out and then reinfused from a vampire's dead body, and nearly gets his crap punched in. He probably cashed in most of his remaining adventuring chips here.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

darealkooky posted:

I seem to recall the part 4 epilogue saying he was just pretending to be retarded.
I hope Jotaro and Josuke meet this with skepticism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Giorno is actually Jotaro and Kakyoin's son, hatched from an egg.
No that's Jolyne, learn the lore.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

I'd rather the scene be dead silent after Jotaro triggers the time stop.
Total soundtrack silence during stopped time. Then, they can roll the "Jotaro's kicking someone's rear end now" theme cue as he rises up behind DIO.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why is it called "Stardust Crusaders", anyway? I mean "Crusaders" I get, but I'm not sure what Stardust has to do with anything unless it's a reference to Star Platinum. The next three parts mention the main characters' Stand in their titles, after all.
The traces coming from their linked star birthmarks, are like dust, you see.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm reading Part 6, and Jolyne just called F.F. a queer. Twice. But this is Jojo. Araki talks about drawing DIO shirtless so he can see how pretty his abs are. Also they showed Pucci eating two cherries without his hands in between all that. I am receiving mixed messenges and I feel lost. :(
I imagine this means "Jolyne is not the most progressive of people," rather than being an editorial statement of homophobia on Araki's part. Sort of like Joseph palling around with Nazis.

Beef Waifu posted:

It's Florida
Yeah, Florida is pretty awful.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Clearly the role of the Ultimate Being and the equation "SEX = USELESS" indicates that Araki was an early asexual.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

OH MY GOD!!
I assume his Stand did the pouring.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MelvinBison posted:

It's weird that SP can catch Lovers but couldn't touch Tower of Grey. How fast is that thing? :psyduck:
Star Platinum can only go like 2 meters from Jotaro's body. While there seems to be some wiggle room that also leaves a whole lot of airplane for the guy to do murders in. (There is the open question of how Tower of Grey KNEW, but he might just have been cagey, while also knowing how Kakyoin's Stand works.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, there's also Josuke and technically Giorno, but as far as anime viewers know neither of those people exist.

Like, I could honestly see the argument for crying spoilers over those two since they kinda come out of left field, but you can pretty easily extrapolate that Jotaro has a kid at some point just from watching up to where we are in pt. 3 and being aware that other parts exist. This is like when people were crying about the figure ads in the first season because Dio was in one of them... in spite of Dio being the villain of Phantom Blood anyways, and the figure version of Dio not even existing in canon.
For all they know, Kakyoin is going to go make the next Jojo with Holly after Jotaro dies, I guess.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mr. stefan posted:

To ponder a question posed in the anime thread, I'm actually having trouble thinking of any part 3 enemy stand users who would be able to stand up against Dio, aside from Death 13 or The Sun, and Sun is still dependent on whether it's light would work on vampires or not.
Was Mannish Boy one of DIO's various bastard children? Or does that make too much sense?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Is there something special about 4U?
There is a great power to "Four."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Moltrey posted:

Let's see who can eat these oranges the fastest and put the most cigerates in their mouth
That's gonna get censored to hell and back, won't it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Wouldn't that mean nobody else could use it?
A subtle homage to that famous moment in Swamp Thing, only this time it's a different sort of [Hand] getting used on Heaven.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Patware posted:

The real question that raises: Who the gently caress managed to kill Stroheim?
Sgt Yakov Petrov using his stand [Back in the USSR], obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Like right from the get go Jotaro has all that stuff in his cell, then you find out Star Platinum can't go more than a couple of meters away so―
His cell was right next to the contraband locker?

• Locked thread