Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

This part of the story is going to be great animated.

YES! YES! YES! YES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The answer is Araki completely forgot he had those powers and didn't use them, meanwhile the guys down at Capcom are JJBA fans and of course remember it, so they added lasers to his moves in JJBA. Just add his poo poo from Part 1 to his Part 3 self, there's no reason to make another Dio for like two more moves. There's no canonical reason Dio didn't use them and it's best to not think about it, because Araki certainly didn't either.

Dio suddenly not using almost any of his crazy vampire powers and the hamon not really coming up hardly ever in part 3 is one of those quirks of the series, really. There's other stuff like Dio's mysterious ability to see and communicate through the hermet purple's precognition being used upon him, suggesting stuff about bigger and broader psychic powers instead of very specific stand use.

Dio works as a fantastic villain for the end of the arc though - and quite frankly, him using his crazier vampire powers would have complicated things.

Anyway, I think that Araki became very self-conscious about how he was loving with his own storyline via sloppy retconning later on, and this is what lead him to start doing timeline and alternate reality fuckery that gave him more freedom to quite purposefully 'remix' the roles and abilities of his cast. A lot of it does feel like a big self-referential tongue-in-cheek - especially in Steel Ball Run's treatment of the multiple Dios. Much like how Dio's powers changed drastically to something that worked for the end of the arc, Dio towards the end of steel ball run is resurrected from an alternate reality with powers that make for an exciting ending. Also, observe SBR's somewhat more seamless blending of stands and hamon powers.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 15, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Something to think about that I'm sure Jojo fans have brought up - while everyone already is plenty familiar with hamon and stand powers, there's actually a THIRD source of superpowers in the Jojo series whose implications seem to be brushed aside in the world's continuity: Cybernetics.

Granted that's because this is a pulpy fun crazy series that doesn't take itself seriously whose continuity errors and oversights are part of the fun sometimes - to the point that the universe reset for steel ball run and Jojolion to create a new remixed narrative on was both necessary and an enhancement of the series crazy flavor.

Anyway, let's say Araki was being anal or a bit more visionary about the scope of the implications of things in his world-building, and that instead of Joseph Joestar just having a cybernetic hand, the cybernetics that were developed during this alternate-world's WW2 would have lead to military and civillian implications. In the background scenery here might be full on cyborgs, people with prosthetic eyes and limbs, and so on by the time Joseph is going to meet Jotaro for the first time.

Of course, this presents a few distracting problems. First off, it partially changes the tone of the series from modern fantasy adventure to scifi. Second off, it distracts from the importance of stands. Lastly, it makes the story no longer taking place in 'our' world with 'hidden history' that is presumably going on where the general public won't hear/see about it, but in a distinctly alternate world. (Aside from bits here and there such as the Stone Ocean prison, it's not until Steel Ball Run and Jojolion where the true 100% 'alternate reality' kicks in.)

That said, I could see a few oblique references to cybernetics thrown in that simply occur in the series - a background character might have a cyber-eye. A bartender might be cleaning a glass with a metal robot-hand. A standuser-of-the-week might be a partial cyborg, and so on.

Anyway, just thought I've bring that up. It's one of those little-explored facets of the series - I would be interested in seeing what Araki would do if he took what he did with fusing Hamon and Stand stuff (with the spiral) in Steel Ball Run with fusing/remixing the use of cybernetics in his world. (For example, maybe biology-based body-computers and modifications that are linked to Stands somehow?)

Edit: I just remembered that Steel Ball Run had a cybernetic Stroheim. Was there anything else cybernetic there?

PS - The animated tv show I got hired to recently (Axe Cop - I always loved the comic) has a LOT of Jojo fans working on it. I wish I could talk more about that as it's not out yet, but you guys will love the show if you love Jojo. Must...Bite...Tongue...

Also, I found Waldo. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/169614/jojos-bizarre-adventure-little-by-little-doujinshi_v1_by_no-group/17

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 12, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Red Bones posted:

At the risk of you breaking any NDAs, is there going to be... posing?

:ssh:

I'm not going to get into specifics, but let's just say that you guys will greatly enjoy the show for a number of reasons.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I ran across this at random.

Araki's recent interpretation of Fist of the North Star.

Somehow he lapped himself in fabulousness and made Kenshiro more manly. How is that possible.* :psyduck:

*Probably because he looks more like a punk rocker in this outfit than anything.

Well, that and you'd have to be a badass to walk around looking like this with peace and love-hearts tattooed on your arms in a post apocolypse wasteland.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 13, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Ryaomon posted:

That Kenshiro is more manly than the original in the same way DmC Dante is more manly than the original Dante.

He isn't.

It's subjective - to me he's more manly in that I can picture him kicking rear end and not giving no fucks wearing that.

I should warn you that this is probably because I've spent the last 7 weeks of my life in Hollywood. I keep seeing people who look like they stepped out of an Araki comic.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 13, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

So more manly not in the traditional sense but in the sense that he seems more confident and secure in his own masculinity?

Pretty much. Like I said, you'd have to be a badass to go walking through a post apocalyptic wasteland dressed like that.

When you consider the original Kenshiro is just an outfit carbon copy of Mad Max who turns into a Bruce Lee clone whenever his regenerating shirt is ripped off, this is something of a weird improvement. At least it's more unique now. His trademark Jojo hand-posing also looks more like he fights ready to push pressure points than straight up punching.

failedninja posted:

Speaking of manly I'm loving that androgyny symbol pointing at his crotch.

Which is pretty tame fare for the heterosexual goth-punks up around here. :allears:

...I've...seen things you people wouldn't believe. Mistaken men for women and come off feeling like a 1970's conservative hard-hat...

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 13, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Stairmaster posted:

How the hell is this a flaw?

It's not. I'm saying it's just not *fabulous.*

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Zeppeli will be making a hidden cameo in an episode of Axe Cop. I was responsible for it. :allears:

In fact, I've been able to insert a lot of cameos for various things in episodes. (They give colorists a surprising amount of freedom to add/drawin-in hidden jokes or design colors on things.)

Also, several of the animators and designers are big Jojo fans. They want to see an axe cop video game made - either a beat-em-up like turtles in time, or a street fighter or smash brothers type of thing. (I'd hope for both coop brawler and also a versus fighting game.) There's also a couple poses that are sly Jojo nods in the most recent ep.

Oh and they've been nerding out over the animation and design in All Star Battle lately.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 14, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Is that already on the air?

There's a preview night on the 21st sunday on Fox where they'll be showing an episode. (I believe it will be the pilot - if so, it's an episode I didn't work on.) Then there's the premiere on 27th.

There's also going to be a ton of promo stuff at the san diego comic con too, so if you're watching livestreams of comic con coverage or checking out photos of what's going on down there, you'll see a lot of it. Fox is also doing a lot of stuff outside the convention center to promote the animation by my company, so even if you don't have comic con tickets you can come down for pizza and fun.

My company's given me a comic con pass - I'll be there thursday friday saturday and sunday.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The Axe Cop animated show started up - there's not really any Jojo references hidden in the current episode, but I managed to sneak Zeppeli into an episode they previewed at comic con. ;)

First episode to air is here - also the first episode I worked on: http://www.foxadhd.com/#!/shows/axecop?show=7

I'm always looking for opportunities to insert hidden jokes in the show - including Jojo references. They're pretty open about letting me do that.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

mikeycp posted:

I don't imagine anything from JoJo would look out of place in the background of that show.

Not a bit. ;)

Today I managed to insert Akira Otoishi (red hot chili pepper) and also Musashi Gundou (most hilariously bad anime ever made) into the background...along with several other recognizable characters.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Nope.

Also, I had to do some wee drawing fixes on one of the backgrounds that included the 'boss' characters from street fighter 2. (Balrog, Sagat, Vega, Bison.) For some reason Sagat was drawn with a shirt. (Had to remove that and a shoe.) The animator had labeled them on their flash layers all with their respective SF names so it was immediately obvious and intentional though.

Sadako from Ringu also makes an appearance in that shot.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 26, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks!

For practice, I'm actually working on a character model for Jotaro (in the style of the show) that I hope to get permission to insert into a crowd shot in the future.

Also the episode I'm talking about has some *original* villain characters that make brief appearances, but were so fun to pick colors for for me that I hope they show up again or get their own episodes. Look for the glow-in-the-dark vampire ninja. ;)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 26, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of Bowie Kira, here's a piece of fan art I ran across.

I could actually see David Bowie playing Kira.

Meanwhile, Dio is pretty much Tim Curry in his prime for me.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: I'm removing the art I posted because I managed to make it fit into a shot for the show. Nothing to see here, moving along. :allears:

Anyway, long story short - I've managed to insert Jotaro into a shot for Axe Cop. I'm going to see if the shot gets approved first with my addition though.

Next week's episode of Axe Cop is the one they previewed at comic con - and has a small cameo of Zeppeli I inserted. ;)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 6, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Akira Otoishi/Red Hot Chilli Pepper inserted by me into an episode of Axe Cop.

Along with several other familiar faces I added.

Bonus:

The resolution on this gif is crap, but in HD or the original flash file:

:cry:

Now it's also worth noting that in the next few moments, literally everyone in the room gets their head chopped off.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The Jojo series has gone a lot of places, but all of them more or less have been some variation on Shonen battle comics - even with the mystery stuff in diamond is unbreakable.

Right now with Jojolion though, it's in a rather new and unique place that I'm really enjoying - surrealist psychological horror. :stare:

Was always interested in seeing what would happen if basically just relatively regular people with no pretense of battling it out Shonen style with stands happened to get stand powers, and how that would affect them. It seems to have brought us to a very strange and interesting place.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 30, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm using the Jojo series as a jumping off point to do some research into pop music history - and in particular, how it relates to Japan. I'm trying to get a sense of the influences that impacted Araki's work, as well as get a better sense of how pop music culture developed in Japan.

Right now, I'm focusing on Cheap Trick - as many people here probably already know, Cheap Trick was treated back in the day by Japan to the same degree that the Beatles were treated when they first came to the US. I don't believe this fame is undeserved - Cheap Trick are fantastic, and having taking a little more time to dig into their work beyond the radio top hits, there's a surprising amount of depth to be found.

The 'live at Budokan' album and footage in particular can help give a sense of just how MASSIVE they were (and are) in Japan. The audience's screaming enhancement to the songs makes the album feel like it's elevated to become a transcendent icon of 'this is what rock music is all about.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVxna2smkg

I'm digging around on youtube mainly right now looking for old interviews, live performances and other things - documentaries will probably help as well if I can find any of those. If anyone knows of anything in particular to help me out, I'd appreciate.

Meanwhile, Cheap Trick is the userless stand in 'Diamond is Unbreakable' that attaches itself to Rohan Kishbie's back, and will kill him if anyone looks at his back. Rohan of course is the author's self-insert character, so a cultural phenomena attaching itself to his back is almost like a humorous little mirror of how Araki used pop tunes as a jumping off point to inspire so much of his work - he just can't seem to shake this little trope he invented for his work.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Punching is the reward at the end of a fight, while the actual fight consists of beating your opponent at a chess game and all the chess pieces are Rubik's cubes.

Yeah, and Stardust Crusaders is where Araki cemented that formula for himself - where the characters have to endure & problem-solve a crazy amount of bullshit that keeps them in check from punishing the bad guy.

The epic and imaginative level of that bullshit that keeps them in check is what the series is all about of course.

And it makes sense to make the payoff an amazing iconic explosion like this: http://i40.tinypic.com/168zrck.jpg

The punching in Jojo (except for arcs 1 and 2 - though 2 had the punching severely reduced) is generally withheld and used as punishment and payoff, rather than a combat technique you might regularly use in say, a fighting game. :cool:

Zorak posted:

Finally caught up with JoJoLion today. I have to say, I'm enjoying it but sometimes I do wish Josuke would take a more Jotaro-style approach to his problems. That is: punching.

Josuke seems to be more of a sensitive and friendly type of hero that the gruff Jotaro - his stand's name "Soft N' Wet" is named after a Prince song, and he reminds me of Prince a lot. I feel like Josuke is meant as basically an alternate universe Jotaro, with his personality flipped.

His sailor boy outfit makes the comic feel at times like a throwback to early 20th century comics, or French comics. Might even be some kind of snide Popeye reference somewhere in there. Well blow me down.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 5, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Dio actually seemed pretty content to just do gently caress all, but saw the Joestars as a threat to him doing nothing. SO ROUND UP THE GANG WE'RE KILLING A FAMILY.

I always felt like if Dio wasn't stopped, he was basically going to become some kind of world domination villain - but he wanted to wipe out the Joestars and their allies first because they presented him with his only real threat.

Everything about him is meant to imply that he's bent on that so it's not a big leap to make.

Jojo fans really are the best. :allears:

Maremidon posted:

I like that we know that Yatsuho likes Cherry Coke. It really puts his whole character in perspective.

I feel like that was meant to go with the arc's theme of splicing things with other things to make new things.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 24, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Found at random.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEprhLmM2-k&t=34s

JOJO

Also, this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJwlT2BnS7Q

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 24, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Look for Yoshikage Kira somewhere in the crowd shot in a future episode of Axe Cop.

:ssh:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Well, it would be nice to have a stand that's big enough to throw a huge party on.

I don't see how anyone sensible with that power would ever want to do anything other than float around on the ocean and chill out though. Dio would basically HAVE to mind control me to get me to want to battle any other stand users. I mean, I have a loving cruise ship stand I could just ride around on forever not bothering anyone else.

Figures that perfectly chill power would go to an rear end in a top hat ape. :mad:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 6, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

DamnGlitch posted:

I loved Part 1 animated for a lot of reasons but specifically with as limited animation as it had cuz just felt right for that part of the manga.

Yeah, it was a weird case where the budget fit the story really. It's like the animation studio is undergoing a mirror of Araki's own artistic growth.

Now they need to do a Baoh anime that looks like original Gatchaman level quality of budget. :v:

As a side note, I have a real soft spot for Baoh - biohorror mutants and teenagers endowed with scientific superpowers is just such a delightfully 80's thing. :allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 6, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Pomp posted:

Hi, Iggy.

Since Stardust Crusaders is so long, I can see them making new or revised intros between now and its conclusion. We'll likely start seeing Iggy after his introduction, obviously.

Herr Tog posted:

Is it okay for me to skip part 1?

Start with Baoh. Then part 1. :smug:

Seriously - it's worth it because you get to see Araki's development as an artist. He wasn't trying to imitate fist of the north star before he did Jojo, and you could see inklings of his originality starting to come through in Baoh. Jojo starts as a fist of the north star clone that takes a turn for the FANCY :gay:

Arc 1 of Jojo though is worth reading just for this guy:

Zeppeli embodies the earliest strong example of the *FANCY* that permeates through Araki's work. Instead of a muscle-man fist of the north star type, he's a svelte european gentleman, and fights vampires with the sheer power of his fanciness. He takes the tone of the story in a wildly fun direction when he's introduced.

Both Baoh and Jojo arc 1 are relatively quick reads too. So there's no reason not to read them. They're short, sweet, and fun. It's straight-up boy's manga action fun, vintage from the 80's.

Arc 2 is where Araki establishes himself completely - everything there lays the groundwork for how things will be for arc 3. Arc 2 is very memorable and worth reading, with lots of hilarious moments where Araki consciously 'breaks' the rules of how manga heroes should behave.

If you really wanted to though, you could just start with arc 3 as it's a classic for a reason, and relatively standalone. Then read the other arcs (and Baoh) at your leisure and curiosity. It's up to you. But for the full experience, it's loads of fun to start on Baoh and work up.

Speaking of Baoh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOpabjjGTeQ

There's also a Baoh anime that's kind of a fun little watch. In spite of a very racist native American stereotype that's also in the manga. :allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 13, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Baoh is only really worth reading if you want to see something that encompasses the 80s so wholly it's hilarious.

Agreed. It's a short comic mini-series that represents a laundry list of 'fun' cliches in 80s stuff, manga and anime especially. While not quintessential to anything from that era, it reflects a lot of what was popular then.

In Baoh, there's:

-A teenaged kid with superpowers from a mad science experiment

-Hero pursued/persecuted by a evil underground secret society

-Bio-horror mutant stuff

-Gratuitous spectacle-gore

-Meaningful award-winning dialogue such as "Baoh has a LASER CANNON!"

-Murderous henchmen-hitmen with special talents/superpowers

-Cyborg added in because the creator just watched Terminator :allears:

-Psychic powers

-"Disproportionately massive to the hero" bad guys

And MORE!*

*BarubaruBARUBARUBARU

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 14, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

And translators don't have time to write them.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Side note about a subtle touch in the anime: Anyone else notice that the soundtrack for stardust crusaders has a lot of jazz hard-rock fusion on it?

I am taking a guess in that this might be the music that Jotaro's father performs. So we can say the absentee father who they didn't bother to notify about his wife being ill is there in spirit maybe. :allears:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

This isn't far off from how I imagine stands might move around their users in something more realistic. Maybe even just kind of amble behind them sometimes like a distracted pet when not being unsummoned or fighting.

That and the trademark Araki stand/user hip-grinding. Which I guess is a bit like massaging your ego, since stands are just a part of their users. :allears:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Hace posted:

I dunno if this has been posted in here but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCk2udVFvo

Probably one of the more elaborate pieces of Jojo fan art out there. :stare:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

jyrque posted:

re: Jotaro's time stop

It makes perfect sense if you think about Star Platinum's power of moving really, really fast and precise. When someone or something can achieve ultimate speed, it can move faster than anything else. Extend that to enable Jotaro to move in sync and you have someone who essentially stops time. See D'arcy fights for this.

I wonder, what is the range of either guy's time stop ability? Does the whole city just stop? Country? WORLD?

Yeah. The time stop is really IMO just an extension of Star Platinum's power. It's not an ability Jotaro could use until he was pushed to the limit against Dio, and felt the power of the stop. But his stand's precision is really just like a lesser version of the time stop.

That's how I justify it really though. The reality is that Araki pretty much wings it on his plots most of the time. (Though he clearly is better about them lately given that he has time to work them out in advance now.) The logic behind it all is scatterbrained at best. Which is why you will get 'pulls a power out of his rear end' moments like the suspiciously convenient Star Finger.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 10, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

In the anime, I'm actually secretly hoping that the orphan girl winds up becoming a stand user and the plot diverges suddenly from the core series. :o:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

This music video feels very very very Araki/Jojo-ish, so I wanted to share. (Crosspost from the animation thread.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB7R0ZY9w94

I would love for Araki to actually collaborate with some western music artists on a music video in the future - basically be a vignetted Jojo story in live-action.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

For all the flaws of the old OAV of Stardust Crusaders, there are some pretty fantastic parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqumqsEEB0U

This is actually pretty close to how I imagine a live-action depiction of Star Platinum's powers might be staged.

I think it was okay overall though - meanwhile the Phantom Blood movie by the same company sucked mainly because one of the producers (or director or someone else - I forget) died and the film lost most of its budget money as a result.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Not anymore. It's being released digitally.

Where at? Crunchyroll?

Really want to 'vote with my dollars' for quality official manga releases online.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

:laugh: Oh my god:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4VR86Os4wo

Also, gotta say that Josuke's big cinematic combo is the coolest in the game. The setup of him talking to the DORAORAORAORAORA punching is pretty badass.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Quick sketch just now I wanna come back to finish later.

HEY  HEY!

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 27, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Kabanaw posted:

Ay Caramba.
DOH!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Do you remember how many donuts you have eaten in your life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Ryaomon posted:

Are we reading different manga or something because ever since the jump to monthly chapters every character has had the same exact face.

I strongly suspect that may have been a conscious decision on Araki's part.

Here's why:

This is a universal model of scientifically quantifiable attractiveness that can be applied to any human face regardless of ethnicity or gender. People from every part of the world always respond to any features on any person that more closely fit this model, and you can find this model occurring in every ethnic group on the planet.

The Steel Ball Run arc deals with among other things, the idea of the Golden Ratio - the idea that you can mathematically quantify beauty in composition through patterns in nature.

Basically it looks like Araki put a golden ratio in the faces of his characters. (As well as mimicking the often-samefacey look of high-fashion models.) Unfortunately in doing so, his characters lost their individuality in features.

As people have already pointed out, I think one of the Jojolion stand abilities which was literally to 'sameface' everyone with a very unattractive mug was some self-mockery about this too.

Also, I hope he plans on breaking away from Sameface fashion designer art faces over the course of Jojolion and pushes expressive facial contortions that he's also historically known for. I was really happy when I saw this panel for that reason.

He seems to be doing a lot of fun caricaturing of non-central characters lately though at least.

As for the latest Jojolion chapter - I'm really starting to like Josuke a lot. He's starting to fit the role of a roguish detective-thief with a heart of gold that his stand implies pretty nicely.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 28, 2014

• Locked thread