Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

teagone posted:

I watched a bit of anime in high school (circa 2001-2005), but ended up losing interest in anything anime related for almost 10 years. Cut to about a week ago, and I'm turning around and am looking to catch up on the best stuff I may have missed in nearly a decade. So, that said, if my absolute favorite OVA is Battle Angel, and I thoroughly enjoy everything related to Ghost in the Shell, what series should I be looking at? I'm not limited to cyberpunk/tech-noir genre; I enjoy comedy/action fantasy, a bit of mech (I really enjoyed Full Metal Panic, naturally), but mostly I'm a fan of that darker, gritty/violent stuff akin to the Ghost in the Shell movies, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Gantz etc.

I'm currently keeping up with Sword Art Online which I'm liking, and I recently finished up Attack on Titan which I absolutely loved. A friend of mine recommended that I take a look at Claymore since I liked Attack on Titan so much (I binged through the 1st season this past weekend). What else should I consider?
If you're looking for a general look back on the past 10 years, you might want to take a gander at what ADTRW liked the most year-to-year over that span and jump on anything that sounds interesting.

That said, I think Baccano! is The One for you. Watching Claymore is fine just jump ship once they get into the final arc in the north because the anime-only ending it has is baaaaaaad.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch Jojo. The answer is always Jojo.
This and also Cowboy Bebop, which is a "space opera" I guess, though it's very noire.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Nate RFB posted:

If you're looking for a general look back on the past 10 years, you might want to take a gander at what ADTRW liked the most year-to-year over that span and jump on anything that sounds interesting.

Somewhat offtopic, but goddrat did 2006 ADTRW overrate Haruhi. Ranked above Black Lagoon, Death Note and Eureka Seven? :psyduck:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You've no idea how big Haruhi was at the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
2006 Haruhi with its out-of-order broadcast was before the franchise lost any semblance of good will with its endless dicking around; at the time it was a pretty ambitious project for a single 13-episode show. People bought banners for the thread, it was seen as a big deal. In retrospect I certainly wouldn't put it above E7 but I think its a fair placement otherwise given that context.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

2006 Haruhi with its out-of-order broadcast was before the franchise lost any semblance of good will with its endless dicking around; at the time it was a pretty ambitious project for a single 13-episode show. People bought banners for the thread, it was seen as a big deal. In retrospect I certainly wouldn't put it above E7 but I think its a fair placement otherwise given that context.

I still want to know what the producers were huffing when they thought eight semi-identical episodes (literally the same episode with very minor details changed) in a row was a good idea.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about Haruhi. I got pretty big into it during he summer of 2009 I think. But I didn't bother watching anything past season one, and I guess I didn't miss anything important. Did it die off in Japan as well? Since I recall an article on Siliconera talking about Haruhi making an appearance in some recent VN.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still want to know what the producers were huffing when they thought eight semi-identical episodes (literally the same episode with very minor details changed) in a row was a good idea.

There was one time in the first season that showed nothing but a character reading a rook in complete silence for at least a full minute, so I wouldn't say it's completely unprecedented.

And I think I'm alone on this, but I'd say the only consistently good Haruhi show were the Haruhi-chan shorts. In retrospect, Haruhi proper had a lot of padding and more than a few uncomfortable scenes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about Haruhi. I got pretty big into it during he summer of 2009 I think. But I didn't bother watching anything past season one, and I guess I didn't miss anything important. Did it die off in Japan as well? Since I recall an article on Siliconera talking about Haruhi making an appearance in some recent VN.
There hasn't been a new novel since 2011, and even then between the latest one and god drat Disappearance in 2004 nothing of note has really happened in the story. The author used up all of his tricks and ideas extremely early on and to be honest I think we were spared a whole lot of trouble by not having anything beyond Disappearance animated.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nate RFB posted:

There hasn't been a new novel since 2011, and even then between the latest one and god drat Disappearance in 2004 nothing of note has really happened in the story. The author used up all of his tricks and ideas extremely early on and to be honest I think we were spared a whole lot of trouble by not having anything beyond Disappearance animated.

Wasn't there a volume or two involving an Anti-SOS Brigade and parallel timeline fuckery? I haven't read or watched anything past Disappearance, so I've only picked up on stuff through hearsay. I assumed the author had left that arc on an incomplete note though. Anyways, I still think the first season, as well as the movie were still pretty solid though granted, a lot of the first season's appeal came if you watched it in broadcast order, so you ended up trying to figure out things due to the disjointed order. It was fun catching things before they officially aired too, like seeing the laptops in the clubroom. Has a better climax too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Allarion posted:

Wasn't there a volume or two involving an Anti-SOS Brigade and parallel timeline fuckery? I haven't read or watched anything past Disappearance, so I've only picked up on stuff through hearsay. I assumed the author had left that arc on an incomplete note though. Anyways, I still think the first season, as well as the movie were still pretty solid though granted, a lot of the first season's appeal came if you watched it in broadcast order, so you ended up trying to figure out things due to the disjointed order. It was fun catching things before they officially aired too, like seeing the laptops in the clubroom. Has a better climax too.
That was the latest novel, Surprise. And while the concept of having a nega-SOS Bridgade sounds promising the author seemingly did not put much thought into it beyond the concept because he spends the entire set of two books having Kyon just :words: the entire time rather than doing anything interesting with it. Then there's 10 pages of action at the end and another non-ending "twist" which is exactly the same as every other non-ending twist since Disappearance. I'm pretty sure the author straight up admitted in one of the post-words that he's had severe writer's block and it certainly shows. He is deathly afraid of doing anything to upset the status quo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Holy crap, thanks for all the recommends! Haha, I'll cherry pick some of the stuff and go from there :) And I never actually watched SAC properly; I caught a few episodes out of context on toonami and it seemed ok. I was more a fan of the films but quick google searches leads me to believe SAC is really good so I'll pick that up from the start. Also Black Lagoon and Tiger & Bunny looks awesome, I think I'll start with those first.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

As someone who loved the first movie and didn't really get why sac was popular from random cartoon network eps, definitely sit down and watch it. It's incredibly good, and it took me near on a decade to grudgingly give it a chance.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ghost in the Shell, Innocence, and Stand Alone Complex are all really cool but sometimes people don't like all of them or only like one of them

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

teagone posted:

I watched a bit of anime in high school (circa 2001-2005), but ended up losing interest in anything anime related for almost 10 years. Cut to about a week ago, and I'm turning around and am looking to catch up on the best stuff I may have missed in nearly a decade. So, that said, if my absolute favorite OVA is Battle Angel, and I thoroughly enjoy everything related to Ghost in the Shell, what series should I be looking at? I'm not limited to cyberpunk/tech-noir genre; I enjoy comedy/action fantasy, a bit of mech (I really enjoyed Full Metal Panic, naturally), but mostly I'm a fan of that darker, gritty/violent stuff akin to the Ghost in the Shell movies, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Gantz etc.

I'm currently keeping up with Sword Art Online which I'm liking, and I recently finished up Attack on Titan which I absolutely loved. A friend of mine recommended that I take a look at Claymore since I liked Attack on Titan so much (I binged through the 1st season this past weekend). What else should I consider?

Ignore everyone else before me and watch motherfucking Sword of the Stranger right now.

Also Claymore isn't very good, it's a poor mans version of several other shows IMHO. It's not awful but if you want blood soaked tales of battles and such there are a lot better things (Fate/Zero, FMA:B, Moribito, Tokyo Majin if you want to be needlessly obscure), it did have some smart fights but now that JoJo is out they aren't that notable.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

teagone posted:

If you like dark and more violent stuff you need to watch the 3 Berserk movies.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Brasseye posted:

If you like dark and more violent stuff you need to watch the 3 Berserk movies.

I'd say skip the movies and watch the TV series, the drawn animation (notably, Zodd) is far superior to the shiny polished CGI.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Recommend me something to cure my post-JoJo withdrawal. Something with a lot of really fun colors, sound and animation. Cool characters, too.

I tried Gatchaman Crowds based on someone's recommendation but was turned off by how juvenile and stereotypical the plot/characters were.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kubla Khan posted:

I'd say skip the movies and watch the TV series, the drawn animation (notably, Zodd) is far superior to the shiny polished CGI.

I'd only recommend watching the TV series if you liked the original TV broadcast ending of Farscape.

(Seriously, show is good, but you will howl out loud when it's over)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Berserk TV series has some rough animation, but it does have a nice soundtrack and a solid dub (even if you're not a fan of dubs, definitely look up the dub outtakes).

I recommend against the movies because it feels like you're not even watching a movie at all. It's like you're watching someone playing a Berserk video game. Not just because it's CG, but in that the combat comes across as rather video game-y and the talky bits are directed kinda like a video game cutscene.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Che Delilas posted:

I'd only recommend watching the TV series if you liked the original TV broadcast ending of Farscape.

(Seriously, show is good, but you will howl out loud when it's over)

Didn't mind the ending, honestly. It had a certain real gravity to it, something most anime lack. For a while I assumed it was THE ending, too.

Checked out the manga much later to find out how sketchy the whole TV affair was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kubla Khan posted:

Recommend me something to cure my post-JoJo withdrawal. Something with a lot of really fun colors, sound and animation. Cool characters, too.

I tried Gatchaman Crowds based on someone's recommendation but was turned off by how juvenile and stereotypical the plot/characters were.

I was gonna say Tsuritama but if you didn't like Crowds you might not like that either.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was recommended this series called Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha and it was a very fun, hilarious, cute light romance/comedy in which a young girl gains the power to transform into other people as a reward for helping a goddess out at a shrine she visits near her school. This leads to lots of trouble and shenanigans. Other characters get their own storylines that sometimes are better than the main one(similar to Kimi no Todoke's sideplots), while some others get pretty terrible ones(Sumizome's winds up being really awful in a "oh, right, Japan is terribly backwards in a lot of ways" type) but other than that one and the goddess's brother, it's really lighthearted and progresses at a natural, brisk pace.

It also has some greaaaaaat faces.

edit: whoops, this was supposed to go in the Convince Someone (etc) thread. I'll leave this here since it's a fun series anyways.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

I was recommended this series called Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha and it was a very fun, hilarious, cute light romance/comedy in which a young girl gains the power to transform into other people as a reward for helping a goddess out at a shrine she visits near her school.

To make this more relevant, how was the anime adaptation? I remember seeing the name earlier this year, but never heard much about it otherwise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I started to enjoy Inari so much more once it sort of ignored the transformation ability as a plot device and instead settled into a more natural romance/drama groove with some supernatural aspirations. The early chapters made it seem like it was just going to be a story that relied heavily on awkward/cringe humor and thankfully that turned out to be not the case. It also helped that the secondary couple with the brother and you-know-who is charming as hell. Now I look forward to new chapters as much or more as some of the other Romance thread big guns.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've had Inari in my to-read list forever and I keep trying to start it but am having a hard time getting into it. How long does the cringe/awkward run because I really hate that stuff. I'm up to Ch. 4, which is already way more than I would have given it ordinarily because the first bit has not grabbed me at all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

unpronounceable posted:

To make this more relevant, how was the anime adaptation? I remember seeing the name earlier this year, but never heard much about it otherwise.

Quite good! The spot where it ends works, but I definitely want to see another season once they build up more source material.

Inari never stops being Inari, if that's what you're asking, but it shouldn't be much longer before she's having actual conversations and interactions with people that are super fun.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kubla Khan posted:

I'm mostly saying this since I just watched episodes 177-181 of Gintama which was amazing (I've been watching Gintama off and on the last couple of years), but seriously Gintama is really good and should be recommended more often. The arc I just mentioned is also fairly self-contained so it's a pretty great story arc for anyone who's curious and wants a pretty good action story with solid emotional beats. To be fair though, it's not fully representative of what Gintama is like majority of the time, which is ridiculous comedy and parodies (including a few Jojo episodes among other things), but it shows off Gintama's range and strength that it has developed over time, since I have a feeling Gintama tends to fail the 3 episode test for most people, and its early episode comedy tends to fall flat.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kubla Khan posted:

If you haven't seen Tiger and Bunny, Cromartie or Michiko to Hachin you might try those. Heat Guy J is a modernish anime done by some 90's style heavy hitters (the Escaflowne dude) and it generally shares a more classic anime aesthetic. Also has a great episode about the economics of produce importation.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you haven't seen Tiger and Bunny, Cromartie or Michiko to Hachin you might try those. Heat Guy J is a modernish anime done by some 90's style heavy hitters (the Escaflowne dude) and it generally shares a more classic anime aesthetic. Also has a great episode about the economics of produce importation.

Yeah that was a surprising twenty-minute lesson on stock market economics out of nowhere. And I don't mean that in a bad way either.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Ignore everyone else before me and watch motherfucking Sword of the Stranger right now.

Also Claymore isn't very good, it's a poor mans version of several other shows IMHO. It's not awful but if you want blood soaked tales of battles and such there are a lot better things (Fate/Zero, FMA:B, Moribito, Tokyo Majin if you want to be needlessly obscure), it did have some smart fights but now that JoJo is out they aren't that notable.

Holy poo poo Sword of the Stranger was amazing. The fight choreography/animation :stare:. Thanks for the recommendation. And I watched the first two episodes of Claymore...not as good as my friend made it out to be. Not sure if I'm going to keep up with it. Looked up the stuff you mentioned and Fate/Zero looks pretty sweet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is Samurai Flamenco worth watching? My best friend just got most of the BD's from his former students in Japan (The fact that they still remember him fondly despite him being a grumpy-rear end curmudgeon kinda warms my heart :3:) so when I get to go to his city, we're planning on watching 2 or 3 episodes a day.

Will it be fun? (Avoid spoilers, if possible)

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Is Samurai Flamenco worth watching? My best friend just got most of the BD's from his former students in Japan (The fact that they still remember him fondly despite him being a grumpy-rear end curmudgeon kinda warms my heart :3:) so when I get to go to his city, we're planning on watching 2 or 3 episodes a day.

I really enjoyed the first arc. The second arc had a really jarring transition but I ended up enjoying it just for how weird it was. After that I lost interest pretty quickly and never actually finished the show. I've heard from several people that they really liked the ending, but I'm unsure if they just have awful taste or if I was so influenced by my expectations based on the first few episodes that I ended up hating what would have been a good show.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Wark Say posted:

I will guarantee that you will have fun.

It sounds like glomkettle is one of the people that was having too much fun and jumped out of the ride, but I insist you watch it all the way through.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Wark Say posted:

It's a fantastic show, probably one of the best to air this year. And if I remember correctly you are a fellow Sugita lover so it's definitely worth watching.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Uznare posted:

It's a fantastic show, probably one of the best to air this year. And if I remember correctly you are a fellow Sugita lover so it's definitely worth watching.

Well, that's a surprise! I just went to search for some basic info and indeed Sugita seems to be one of the main characters! Among the three main I also saw Haruka Tomatsu's name, who was really fun in Binbougami and My Neighbor the Monster.

Also, it's not so much that I'm a Sugita lover... well, I kind of am, but my appreciation for him started because I had the opportunity to meet and both interact with him in and out of recording studios at several points in my travels to Tokyo, and the dude is both a legit bro and super easy to work with.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What are some (preferably bad, preferably 80s) horror anime? October is rolling around and I'd like to show some as part of a yearly bad horror-thon I have with some friends. The shorter the better, an OVA or movie would be ideal. So far I have Vampire Wars and Baoh.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

GorfZaplen posted:

What are some (preferably bad, preferably 80s) horror anime? October is rolling around and I'd like to show some as part of a yearly bad horror-thon I have with some friends. The shorter the better, an OVA or movie would be ideal. So far I have Vampire Wars and Baoh.

Try Demon City: Shinjuku or the Devilman OVAs.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Maybe The Laughing Target? It's a 45 minute OVA. I really liked this one, but I watched it with a friend and she thought it was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I suggest the Dracula anime where Dracula is seen eating a hamburger.

• Locked thread