Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're going to get this though, do yourself a favour and get the big-rear end boxed hardcover set. It's gorgeous :allears:.

I can't find an amazon listing, so you'll probably have to look in actual stores for it, but it looks like this.

Regret not getting this back when it came out and was $20 on Amazon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421550644?ie=UTF8&tag=craetive-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1421550644

???

I mean 20 bucks is a bit low but 40 is absolutely reasonable for this massive hulking pair of hardcovers in a sweet box

Literally my only complaint about it is that it has a loving index of sound effect translations in the back of the books. Who the hell is going to see a sound effect and then go to those pages and see what it was, it seems utterly pointless and a waste of pages instead of just translating them off-frame

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 29, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Literally my only complaint about it is that it has a loving index of sound effect translations in the back of the books. Who the hell is going to see a sound effect and then go to those pages and see what it was, it seems utterly pointless and a waste of pages instead of just translating them off-frame

Yup, what a baffling decision.

Still totally worth it!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahahaha what? SKET Dance has a Gintama crossover episode? :laugh:

I can't believe how great this show is.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What do people think of Haruhi? I started watching it, and it's enjoyable enough, but at the same time the moe poo poo is a little bit ... uncomfortable? Like there's not really anything in particular I can point out as objectionable, the tone just seems really really pandering, juvenile, and, like, emotionally stunted? I guess?, in a vaguely negative way. I like the scifi stuff , like the :black101: as heck fight between Rei-clone and the class president, but the characters themsevles just seem sort of off

I understand that Haruhi basically set off the torrent of LN adaptation moe shows? That makes a lot of sense, having watched it. I have not watched any other moe shows, for reference, outside of a few episodes of Nichijou, is this pretty much all of them?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 1, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first season is pretty clever in its original broadcast order, and the Disappearance movie is fun, but nothing ever loving happens otherwise in the rest. It's not that good and we are probably better off the rest did not get adapted.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

icantfindaname posted:

What do people think of Haruhi?

Haruhi is like one-half clever sci-fi dramedy, and one-half everything dumb and bad about anime in the last decade. It mainly gets by on sheer energy and ridiculously high animation quality(the concert scene is still one of my favorite things ever in animation), but it's one of those shows that is just inevitably tethered to its own legacy. Haruhi was sort of the first anime to do the whole self-referential otaku-humor schtick and be really successful. I personally like the interpretation that Haruhi is really an avatar for the anime fandom. But like I said, that's only one part of the show. The other part is the show using its cookie-cutter character archetypes in smart and effective way to explore some legitimately clever and fun ideas. Haruhi is just a silly and fun show that knows its just a silly and fun show, which ironically allows the dramatic beats land so well. My favorite detail about the show is Haruhi Suzumiya being listed in the staff credits as "ultra Director" on the back of the DvD cover. That's the kind of show Haruhi is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You should finish Nichijou.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You should finish Nichijou.

And then watch it again.

Haruhi is a good show, but that's as far as its own merit takes it. What makes it so famous is how absurdly popular it was to the point that KyoAni could use the profit to fund a show with animation that embarrasses full length movies.

Also because no one else in the history of anime will probably ever have the audacity to pull anything like the Endless Eight arc in the second season.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ViggyNash posted:

Also because no one else in the history of anime will probably ever have the audacity to pull anything like the Endless Eight arc in the second season.

I still don't understand how this is a thing that actually happened, at first I thought "oh that's clever, now there's going to be loads of weird / funny stuff happening like you always get in these episodes" but nope it was supposed to be ~~meta~~ and you have the exact same poo poo over and over.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The other thing about the second season was that it came almost completely unannounced other than the rumors that there might be new episodes in the reairing of Haruhi S1 in chronological order, so it caught a good chunk of people off-guard as well. Season 2 in general was handled weirdly.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I still don't understand how this is a thing that actually happened, at first I thought "oh that's clever, now there's going to be loads of weird / funny stuff happening like you always get in these episodes" but nope it was supposed to be ~~meta~~ and you have the exact same poo poo over and over.

I mostly just hated how minimal the payoff was. That was not worth 8 full episodes. 4 would have been perfect:
First pass: nothing unusual
Second pass: noticing some odd things, and having that meeting
Third pass: more odd things, the meeting, and an inkling of what the answer might be
Fourth Pass: He slowly puts it all together and breaks out.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I appreciate that it was 8 full episodes, one a week. Great trolling is an art and the tears of those who hated it are delicious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

I mostly just hated how minimal the payoff was. That was not worth 8 full episodes. 4 would have been perfect:
First pass: nothing unusual
Second pass: noticing some odd things, and having that meeting
Third pass: more odd things, the meeting, and an inkling of what the answer might be
Fourth Pass: He slowly puts it all together and breaks out.

You could pull off Eight, but the most damning thing of what we got is that Yuki mentions a wide range of different actions taken in all the loops. There's no reason whatsoever for the eight we see being identical.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

icantfindaname posted:

What do people think of Haruhi? I started watching it, and it's enjoyable enough, but at the same time the moe poo poo is a little bit ... uncomfortable? Like there's not really anything in particular I can point out as objectionable, the tone just seems really really pandering, juvenile, and, like, emotionally stunted? I guess?, in a vaguely negative way. I like the scifi stuff , like the :black101: as heck fight between Rei-clone and the class president, but the characters themsevles just seem sort of off

I understand that Haruhi basically set off the torrent of LN adaptation moe shows? That makes a lot of sense, having watched it. I have not watched any other moe shows, for reference, outside of a few episodes of Nichijou, is this pretty much all of them?

I finally watched it last year, and while I found that taken as a whole it was fairly good, and the non-chronological broadcast order was an interesting choice, but at the same time, when I had gotten through season one (plus a few episodes of that 4-minute chibi spinoff, which isn't really the same thing) I just didn't feel compelled to want any more of it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Haruhi was one of, if not the first thing I ever watched fansubbed. Before that I'd just rent or buy things that seemed interesting based on reviews or recommendations from friends and stuff.

And that was literally because I was intrigued by this banner ad that someone in ADTRW made:

e: that and the Kyon-kun I hear anime is cool now! one.

I liked it just fine, even if I haven't felt the need to watch it since then.

As for endless 8...well i think it's funny to read about, and I like the idea, but holy poo poo was it ever boring to actually watch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think the Haruhi Suzumiya novels had the promise to be great, but they just never got past the point of being good. The first season, for the most part, did wonders with the material (especially with the story arcs episodes), and the movie is pretty swell. I do think that the books have this unfortunate tendency of losing steam on their way to the end and you end up just wishing that the books would be over.

Apparently, the novels are marked as still ongoing, but after the last two books I'm not sure if there's anything else to go on. If you are somewhat intrigued by the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise, you should give Kokoro Connect a chance.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wark Say posted:

I think the Haruhi Suzumiya novels had the promise to be great, but they just never got past the point of being good. The first season, for the most part, did wonders with the material (especially with the story arcs episodes), and the movie is pretty swell. I do think that the books have this unfortunate tendency of losing steam on their way to the end and you end up just wishing that the books would be over.

Apparently, the novels are marked as still ongoing, but after the last two books I'm not sure if there's anything else to go on. If you are somewhat intrigued by the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise, you should give Kokoro Connect a chance.

It's taken so long for a new Haruhi novel to come out that the English releases have caught up to them. What's the author even doing at this point?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He did write a new novel/series called Round Trip. Haven't actually checked it out.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I'm looking for something stylish but melancholy. I want to feel like poo poo, but not while being bored (so no Haibane Renmei). Doesn't matter what i've seen before, most of it was too long ago to remember properly anyway. Might check Eureka Seven again but I can't even remember if that will do it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Now and Then, Here and There?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

NeilPerry posted:

I'm looking for something stylish but melancholy. I want to feel like poo poo, but not while being bored (so no Haibane Renmei). Doesn't matter what i've seen before, most of it was too long ago to remember properly anyway. Might check Eureka Seven again but I can't even remember if that will do it.

I feel like Eureka Seven has too much hope to qualify as melancholy. Maybe if you follow it up with Astral Ocean (oh god I'm joking don't do this).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blhue posted:

Now and Then, Here and There?

or Texhnolyze or Casshern Sins

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

NeilPerry posted:

Saishuuheiki Kanojo, or Saikano

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nipponophile posted:

Saishuuheiki Kanojo, or Saikano
When you want to feel like poo poo, accept no substitutes.

My other recommendations would be Shigofumi or Melody of Oblivion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NeilPerry posted:

Shigurui: Death Frenzy. I kind of want to make that sound like a joke suggestion, but it's also not.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

NeilPerry posted:

Tetsujin 28 and seconding Casshern Sins

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NeilPerry posted:

Watch Mushishi.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch Mushishi.

No, do not watch Mushi-shi for that reason. Watch it because it is the most relaxing, beautiful, and all around wonderful thing ever made. Kinda the opposite of what was asked, really.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

Kyousougiga. You're welcome.

If you've already seen it, you should watch it again anyways.

btw i did this and it owned

watch Kyousougiga

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also when i last asked for recommendations and ended up watching an episode of rwby i implied it was kinda charming in its cargo cult anime

turns out i was just drunk

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NeilPerry posted:

Dogs: Bullets and Carnage OVA - Post-Apoc Cyberpunk gangster stuff. Feels a lot like the more depressing parts of FMA:B and Baccano.

Gankutsuou - Speaking as a huge fan of the original work this is by far the best adaptation of Count of Monte Cristo. They solve a huge issue many adaptations have by changing the PoV character and changing the ending to be not poo poo (a lot of people think Dumas changed the ending on request from his publisher to keep the possibility of a sequel open so a lot of adaptations change the ending to be less fanfiction-esque). It has been known to give some people motion sickness tho, so watch out going in. It's like if the parts of E7 that were about betrayal as an aspect of growing up (because every part of E7 is about a different stage of becoming an adult) got their own full length series. There's also some, uh, sort of gross incest in one episode but it's in the original novel and it's not like Game of Thrones level or anything.

Paranoia Agent - Classic violent murder mystery anime.

The Skull Man - Adaptation of the famous comic by one of the pioneers of super robot anime that deconstructs the genre in a sort of Kick-rear end kind of way.

Sunday Without God - It's like a magical girl anime, only there is no magic and everyone dies. When I briefly worked at Crunchyroll people discussed this manga as something you deserved a medal for finishing.

Ibara no Ou/King of Thorns - It's like a magical girl anime meets hunger games! The manga is better than the movie tho.

Zetman - Imagine if Megaman's plot was, like, super serious and dark, that's this show.

Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou - Take Bleach, now steep it in cool buddhist mythology, creepy lovecraftian villains, a sense of crushing dread and one of the saddest "this character is actually a ghost" episodes ever. Watch the first episode, you'll know if its your kind of thing by the end.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 2, 2014

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

NeilPerry posted:

but not while being bored (so no Haibane Renmei)

Man, I loved Haibane. I can see why it might be boring to some, as it's very slow, but I think it's all worthwhile in the end. It's been about ten years I guess but I remember the ending just wrecked me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

TheEye posted:

Man, I loved Haibane. I can see why it might be boring to some, as it's very slow, but I think it's all worthwhile in the end. It's been about ten years I guess but I remember the ending just wrecked me.

Haibane's a show I can appreciate, and I like many elements of it like the music and the art, but I can't bring myself to like the show overall. I felt that the world was far more interesting than the character drama, and it hints at enough mysteries to make me want to learn more about the world, but nothing come of it at the end. I was disappointed by that.

Still, it's a fantastic show, and I wouldn't discourage anyone from watching it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ViggyNash posted:

Haibane's a show I can appreciate, and I like many elements of it like the music and the art, but I can't bring myself to like the show overall. I felt that the world was far more interesting than the character drama, and it hints at enough mysteries to make me want to learn more about the world, but nothing come of it at the end. I was disappointed by that.

Still, it's a fantastic show, and I wouldn't discourage anyone from watching it.

You appreciate HR the same way you appreciate going to an art museum. I encourage people to watch it, I expect that they will get something out of it and possibly be deeply touched, and I expect them to be bored for most of the experience.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, I guess I'm going on a grand tour of lovely LN garbage, so what's peoples' opinion of Toradora? Based on what I've seen the main girl is awful, but the the two side girls are pretty hilarious. Is there anything like this show but without the bad female protag out there?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

toradora is good and so is taiga and also i will fight you

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, I guess I'm going on a grand tour of lovely LN garbage, so what's peoples' opinion of Toradora? Based on what I've seen the main girl is awful, but the the two side girls are pretty hilarious. Is there anything like this show but without the bad female protag out there?

Toradora has stronger character writing than any of the similar shows I can think of and I would suggest sticking with it.

I guess maybe try Lovely Complex if you really can't stand her.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, I was going to finish watching it anyways. I guess Taiga's not that bad. Ami and Minori definitely make up for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

watching the dub helps because the dub is pretty good and she's not rie kugimaya again

• Locked thread