Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So this might sound dumb, but what kind of anime do people watch to get them pumped? I really like Initial D because it has a lot of energy both in the visuals of the races and it's music. Recently I've rewatched a few fights from Hajime no Ippo and realized out that music is a pretty big part of it; there's some stings and music cues that really get the blood flowing. Now I'm wondering what other anime might fit that little niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Garrand posted:

So this might sound dumb, but what kind of anime do people watch to get them pumped? I really like Initial D because it has a lot of energy both in the visuals of the races and it's music. Recently I've rewatched a few fights from Hajime no Ippo and realized out that music is a pretty big part of it; there's some stings and music cues that really get the blood flowing. Now I'm wondering what other anime might fit that little niche.

Does Jojo count? I mean,how could this not be full of Goddamn hype?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Does Jojo count? I mean,how could this not be full of Goddamn hype?

Not quite, but thank you for reminding me to add Jojo to my 'to watch' list as everything I've heard about it is good and that was really funny.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

SPORTS ANIME. Chihayafuru and Ping Pong The Animation are obvious choices, and you might want to also check out Haikyū!!, Yowamushi Pedal, Big Windup! and Slam Dunk.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Garrand posted:

Gurren Lagann is my go-to gettin' pumped anime, if you've somehow managed to avoid it.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Garrand posted:

So this might sound dumb, but what kind of anime do people watch to get them pumped? I really like Initial D because it has a lot of energy both in the visuals of the races and it's music.

For some reason (I'm guessing it's some kind of obscure bug in the forum's coding) nobody has mentioned Redline yet.
Until this is fixed, you might be able to work around it by mentally replacing every word in the previous few posts with Redline. It's probably what they were trying to say in the first place.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Just to be safe, you may want to Redline the next few posts as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thirded for Redline.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the music of kill la kill is really hype, the show is so-so. so i suggest putting on the music while you do your getting pumped activities

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Inferno Cop

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Gurren Lagann is my go-to gettin' pumped anime, if you've somehow managed to avoid it.

It only works the first time around, though. I wish I could purge it from my memory and watch it again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9fhQVMzlC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9jWrj0ihHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmbW6WXLeW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnY_RgdTlZo

Watch Redline.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

OOoh, Redline looks like entirely my poo poo. Definitely gonna nab it.

So one of the reasons I asked is that I like to do cycling and weightlifting to get into shape and like that extra bit of mental motivation before hitting the gym. I'll definitely be looking into that Yowamushi Pedal one, but has there ever been an anime about weightlifting before? I honestly don't know what you could even do with that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

So one of the reasons I asked is that I like to do cycling and weightlifting to get into shape and like that extra bit of mental motivation before hitting the gym. I'll definitely be looking into that Yowamushi Pedal one, but has there ever been an anime about weightlifting before? I honestly don't know what you could even do with that.

Sadly no, but there's a couple characters in Yowamushi Pedal who are SERIOUS AS HELL about weightlifting and it rules.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch nasu for cycling

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Davincie posted:

the music of kill la kill is really hype, the show is so-so. so i suggest putting on the music while you do your getting pumped activities

You could cut together an excellent show out of KLK if you somehow remove the molestation and the parts in the middle where they forget it's supposed to be funny. The good parts are really good.

Garrand posted:

Ashamed to say it but I used to watch the matches from Hajime no Ippo before working out to get pumped and it worked p good. It's been a while so I forget which series had the better music.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Garrand posted:

You could also ask for soundtracks to listen to while working out, too. Redline's in particular is a hell of a jam, Gurren Lagann's is often pretty hype, and Kill La Kill's only redeeming feature is the music(and Mako/Gamagoori). Ryuko's main theme itself, the first part with the leadup into instrumental Don't Lose Your Way, at least before it gets all twangy-weird, is hype as gently caress, I just sliced that bit off the rest and kept it separate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_oyxqId7ps

And Mako's theme just makes me happy every time it pops up in the shuffle. It's SO UPBEAT. SMILE drat IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK5Sn-hGZ7M

I forget if Mako's theme ever actually appears in the show or not, though.

If you want to talk energetic music Garrand, feel free to add me on Steam

A standard for all workout playlists should be the Punch-Out Wii theme, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH3pOt_H3Rc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Garrand posted:

Baki the Grappler. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpD3Ffz0hc

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Ashamed to say it but I used to watch the matches from Hajime no Ippo before working out to get pumped and it worked p good. It's been a while so I forget which series had the better music.

Ippo is great to get fuckin psyched to run and cycle and lift. The first series and movies (1-72 + champions road and the other one) and season 3 has great music. Season 2 has really fuckin lame music and it mangles the hawk fight IMO. S3 is totally for real the poo poo though and the brought back the first series style of music (tho IDK if it's the same composer, if it's not he totally emulated it purposefully)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watching Ippo to get pumped for working out is a great idea, and the only flaw is that you will never be as swole as Ippo.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This is going to sound odd, but my friends and I like to get together, drink some beers and watch anime, and lately we've been on a kick for bad anime that's fun to mock and make fun of, and we just finished up Psycho-Pass season 2. Do you all have any suggestions?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

This is going to sound odd, but my friends and I like to get together, drink some beers and watch anime, and lately we've been on a kick for bad anime that's fun to mock and make fun of, and we just finished up Psycho-Pass season 2. Do you all have any suggestions?

Well considering psycho pass 2 was at worst mediocre literally anything probably

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, that one left us feeling sort of bleh. I could use a real trainwreck.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I bet Mad Bull 34 would be a blast with a bunch of drunken friends

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ManlyGrunting posted:

Fist of the North Star

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

If it was on DVD,I'd suggest Build Fighters Try. But since it's not,Sword Art Online is a pretty good bet.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

^ BFT is on Youtube, isn't it?

Angel Cop would be a good one, make sure you watch it dubbed and then look up and watch the real ending after you finish it.

Really, any bad 80s OVA would do, a lot of them are dubbed, and available in decent quality on youtube. They're also all pretty short so you can have a lot of variety in one night.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Is there anything out there like Ergo Proxy?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

^ BFT is on Youtube, isn't it?
Yeah,it is. As is its superior predecessor.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

superloosegoose posted:

wolfs rain was pretty boring, too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

wolfs rain was pretty boring, too

Yeah but that was just straight boring and not bad in a fun way.

Edit: Any of the Final Fight animes are terrible

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

superloosegoose posted:

Texhnolyze has the same drudging oppression of a dying world and the degradation of the human spirit and the "what is the point of doing anything when we're all going to die?"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Texhnolyze has the same drudging oppression of a dying world and the degradation of the human spirit and the "what is the point of doing anything when we're all going to die?"

Texnolyza is also very very boring at least for loving 6 episodes.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Thanks all. We're going for Mad Bull 34: turns out we only saw part 1 of 4 of the OVA. Time for the continuing adventures of Eddie-baaaaaan and Sleepy the crossdressing supervillain.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Another for Final Destination style comedy terribad-ness

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ManlyGrunting posted:

Valvrave or Aldnoah Zero would both be good choices, I think.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

You're being unfair to AldNoah, it wasn't that terrible a trainwreck. Just... kinda mediocre.

Samurai Flamenco is another good :psyduck: trainwreck show a la Valverave.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Aldnoah isn't really crazy just sorta 'good' and then 'bad and lame'. Valverave is a good pick though: crazy bullshit followed by lovely bullshit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah aldnoah is terrible for beer and friend watching. it's just really boring and underwhelming in the end, after a good but not great start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I admit Valvrave would be the better choice, but Aldnoah absolutely has its moments. Most of them involve dramatic gun-pointing.

• Locked thread