Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Baldbeard posted:

I'm not really a big anime watcher, but I just finished kyousogiga after seeing it in the GIF thread and I really enjoyed it. Any recommendations on more serious or mature story-telling series like this? Stuff like school boy unlocks special powers + many upskirt shots immediately turns me off of a series, and I find myself having to watch like 20 pilots before finding something I can stick with.

Other things I've enjoyed over the years:
FMA: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Berserk

Samurai Champloo

Maybe Blood Blockade Battlefront?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Baldbeard posted:

I'm not really a big anime watcher, but I just finished kyousogiga after seeing it in the GIF thread and I really enjoyed it. Any recommendations on more serious or mature story-telling series like this? Stuff like school boy unlocks special powers + many upskirt shots immediately turns me off of a series, and I find myself having to watch like 20 pilots before finding something I can stick with.

Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Berserk

If you like Kyousogiga that much you'll probably like Katanagatari, and there's always the works of Masaaki Yuasa such as Ping Pong The Animation and The Tatami Galaxy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
If we're recommending Yuasa then Kaiba is totally fantastic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could try The Eccentric Family too, it's on CrunchyRoll.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Awesome, thanks goons. I'll check these out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Berserk

If you like mature storytelling, look no further than this thread's title.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

The Colonel posted:

If we're recommending Yuasa then Kaiba is totally fantastic.

+1 on this it is great!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

If you liked the fun, charming, and wistful story of kyousougiga, stay far away from the thread title

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You can't go wrong with anything Yuasa directed. All his shows and films are gorgeous, charming, have something positive and insightful to say, and have virtually none of the compromises or hangups someone who's only watched bad anime might expect.

I haven't seen everything he's worked on as a key animator or guest director, but what I have seen is generally good too. (If nothing else it will be well-animated.)

I'm sort of responding to the Kyousogiga guy but this goes for everyone, really.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 29, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

If you liked the fun, charming, and wistful story of kyousougiga, stay far away from the thread title

Warning against Legend of Galactic Heroes is something you should only do to someone you hate.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

legend of galactic heroes is good but it has plenty of flaws and it gets annoying when people try to recommend it regardless of what the guy actually said.

i don't think it's a bad recommendation in this case since he just said serious/mature, but it is nothing like kyousogiga

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Warning against Legend of Galactic Heroes is something you should only do to someone you hate.

Kyousogiga is a lively, colorful show, and LoGH is a real dry sci-fi series. There's definitely the sort of person that digs sci-fi that will eat LoGH up, but enjoying the former definitely won't correlate to liking the latter.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I started Crunchyroll's free trial to checkout My Love Story (which is great), is there anything else good to make a paid subscription worth it? The last anime I remember watching were the first season of Chihayafuru, Nichijou, Daily Lives of High School Boys and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

gmq posted:

I started Crunchyroll's free trial to checkout My Love Story (which is great), is there anything else good to make a paid subscription worth it? The last anime I remember watching were the first season of Chihayafuru, Nichijou, Daily Lives of High School Boys and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/kyousougiga

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

There's also gatchaman, wakakozake, working, etc

CR does a good job of picking up the good shows

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

gmq posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/galaxy-high-school

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

gmq posted:

Shirobako.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Linnaeus posted:

There's also gatchaman, wakakozake, working, etc

CR does a good job of picking up the good shows

TheEye posted:

Shirobako.

These are all fantastic recommendations and I second all of them

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

gmq posted:

Squid Girl is fun, Non non biyori is super chill and sweet, Girl Und Panzer is a super cool sports anime about tank battles, Mushi-shi is worth checking out to see if you're into it and Humanity Has Declined is really interesting and charming!

There's a couple more recs from Crunchyroll's front page but all the previously mentioned ones are pretty great too

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Humanity Has Declined is so good. Also check out House of Five Leaves.

Basically any good anime from the past three or so years is either on there or on Funimation's service.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Devil Tesla posted:

Humanity Has Declined is so good. Also check out House of Five Leaves.

Basically any good anime from the past three or so years is either on there or on Funimation's service.

Humanity Has Declined is fantastic, but it does lose its steam a little in the last few episodes just because they're (deliberately) not in chronological order.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Humanity Has Declined is fantastic, but it does lose its steam a little in the last few episodes just because they're (deliberately) not in chronological order.

The last arc is my favorite!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gmq posted:

Kids on the Slope. It may not be a comedy as much as you'd like, but it's an incredible series about some kids who love jazz in 1960's Japan.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

So the first of the recommendations I checked out was Samurai Champloo, and I'm enjoying it so far.
Only complaint is there's been a couple really terrible filler episodes that are just awkward. Like the meteor episode where the mining crew are literal zombies.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Watched Kaiba and Kemonozume, because I'm a sucker for unusual animation styles.

Kaiba is really, really good. And somewhat horrifying. It's easy to overlook how incredibly bleak, terrifying and downright murderous this show is with its cutesy style. I kinda wish it were longer, because the early planet hopping episodes were really fascinating (not that the later plot-heavier episodes aren't good, mind you). Also, that has to be one of the best intros I've ever seen!
Conclusion: gently caress you, Popo.

Kemonozume is... well...
I'm not sure. It certainly isn't very good-looking, but it kinda works for it? And I gotta say, this is one of the most nauseating and macabre shows I've seen. At times, it's simultaneously repulsive, hilarious and plain weird. Also, quite a memorable villain. Hats off to the creators - Ooba is one disgusting, sadistic son of a bitch. That really is one guy who enjoys torturing people in all kinds of ways, for pretty much no reason at all. I really liked how deranged he was - it really felt like he had no real plan whatsoever, he just did whatever the hell he wanted, and violently so; and it worked.
If I had to sum this show up, it'd be "fascinatingly unpleasant". Weird.
...I'm not gonna watch this again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"Fascinatingly unpleasant" is an apt description for Kemonozume, though for my money it starts out more fascinating and ends up more unpleasant.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

"Fascinatingly unpleasant" is an apt description for Kemonozume, though for my money it starts out more fascinating and ends up more unpleasant.

Given the reveal of the main villain in the late episodes... yeah.

Yeah. :stare:

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Can you read manga in Japanese anywhere online?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah there's like a dozen sites for it. You could also just download them off nyaa

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

google whatever series you want and then add 'raws'

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Here's a legal site if you want to pay for it

http://www.ikki-para.com

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I've been very slowly introducing my boyfriend to anime for a while, so far he's seen Cowboy Bebop, FMA:Brotherhood, Attack on Titan and some Lupin III and Outlaw Star as well as a bunch of Ghibli films.

I'm looking for some decent action/sci-fi without any overly Japan-ness (wasn't a fan of Spirited Away). In general he likes stuff with a good amount of character building and decent plot so any recommandations would be much appreciated.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Black Lagoon is a decent action show with limited Japan-ness.

Well, there's a maid servant terminator and a swordsman that cuts bullets shot at him, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CherryCat posted:

I've been very slowly introducing my boyfriend to anime for a while, so far he's seen Cowboy Bebop, FMA:Brotherhood, Attack on Titan and some Lupin III and Outlaw Star as well as a bunch of Ghibli films.

I'm looking for some decent action/sci-fi without any overly Japan-ness (wasn't a fan of Spirited Away). In general he likes stuff with a good amount of character building and decent plot so any recommandations would be much appreciated.

Planetes
Silver Spoon

The new Arslan series

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice

That Works posted:

Planetes
Silver Spoon

The new Arslan series

Arslan could be good, I'm also considering Gurren Lagann and Parasyte.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

baccano

everyone should watch baccano, and it sounds like just what you need

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

CherryCat posted:

If you're okay with a show with a bit of a longer burn, you guys should check out the show right in the title, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, in the order recommended by the ADTRW thread for it. It's one of the best space operas ever made, period, animated or otherwise

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CherryCat posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates.

No, I'm not joking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CherryCat posted:

Psycho-Pass
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
The Big O
Redline (in 1080p/Blu-Ray quality if at all possible, or you're doing your eyes a disservice)
Trigun
Gungrave
Last Exile
Jormungand (it's not as good as Black Lagoon, but it's good if you want more in the same vein)
Hellsing: Ultimate (the original series isn't as good, and this is a direct adaptation of the manga).

Psycho-Pass and GiTS are both set in Japan, but are reasonably grounded in a general 20-minutes-in-the-future sci-fi setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Monster.

• Locked thread