Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OxeHunden posted:

I fell asleep so couldn't check for replies :)

Both Chihayafuru and Nichijou are available on Crunchyroll streaming if you have access to that. I know there's no US version of Chihaya on disc, sadly. Not sure about Nichijou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, Nichijou's first scene literally has Nano exploding like a nuclear bomb and yelling a lot, so it doesn't really fit your request at all. But it is also absurd and a lot of fun, so you might still like it, just not as a "wind down and chill" show.

Seconding Haibane Renmei and Mushishi.

I think that Haibane Renmei and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou share a lot in how they present their worlds; very low key and keeping some mysteries hidden while slowly revealing answers to others.

E: whoops, missed that you've seen Mushishi.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 1, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think the next time I want a show like this, I'll watch Honey and Clover. One thing I liked about the setting of NHK is the main character being poor in a city, especially that little Mitya House apartment. Does Honey and Clover have small apartments and city life? The preview image at the ATDR wiki could be either a city or small town.

Honey and Clover is small apartment and college life to start with, then it moves into some post college stuff. Being broke definitely factors into the setting.

It is also great.

So is the manga Solanin, it also covers being young and on your own for the first time in the city.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mason Dixon posted:

Nyan Koi isn't outright bad, but it is pretty mediocre.

I know I watched it, but I can't remember a single drat thing about it. I keep mixing it up with Mayoi Neko Overrun. Which at least gave us this.

e: whoa that has a lot more fanservice than I remembered, so it's kind of :nws:. Still funny.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 6, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

e: I'm also looking for a show that is heart-wrenching and depressing. Something that's NOT Clannad, Air, or any of those other terrible shows staffed by Key. The show I'm looking for is more along the lines of Shadow Star or Now and Then, Here and there, which are two of my favourite manga and anime, respectively.
AnoHana maybe; give it a couple episodes if you decide to watch, the very beginning is a little rough.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wokrider posted:

Looking for some recommendations. I am looking for something like lovely complex, light hearted romance.

Kamisama Kiss, Kimi ni Todoke, and/or Toradora! might be just what you're looking for.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm honestly drawing a blank on any anime romances (Eureka Seven is a good choice though, even if it's not exclusively a romance story) that end that way. It's entirely possible that I'm forgetting something really blatant.

Lovely Complex has a great ending, but it's not quite cranked up to 11 like you're requesting, still one of my favorite shows overall. Toradora! comes close too.
A lot of the recent shoujo shows are adaptations of comics that are still going on, so the anime version ends with story left to tell.

All I can think of are some manga stories that end that way: Octave, Love My Life, Girl Friends, and Sasameki Koto all basically end with a ton of :3:'s exploding into smaller :3:s. Kimi ni Todoke will probably end that way some time, whenever it gets there. Paradise Kiss' (anime or manga) ending is great and wonderfully written, but doesn't really fit your description either.

There are two series I can think of that have very happy endings, but knowing that ahead of time is very likely to lessen a lot of the drama that drives the majorities of their plots, so I'm not sure how exactly to go about suggesting them.
:siren:So, even though this is awkward as all hell, I'll put their titles in spoilers, be warned though that knowing they have happy ends might affect your overall enjoyment of them.:siren: Mouseover at your own risk.
Clannad: The first season is pretty mediocre, the second nails it.
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Fanservice laden, ghost girlfriend story that ends up being cute, funny, frightening and romantic. Go figure.

Alas, no metal is found among any of those choices.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If you want interpersonal relationships kicked up a notch because of something extraordinary happening, check out AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day. I can't check from here, but as far as I know Crunchyroll is still streaming it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SomniumObmutum posted:

So I've been in the mood for some balls to the wall crazy action. I finished Gurren Lagann about an hour ago, and watching that was inspired by watching the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and wanting more stuff in the same vein. I've had G Gundam and Redline recommended to me, and I wanted to get some ideas from another source. Hunter X Hunter is sounding like its probably going to be a thing I'll enjoy from reading what people were saying about it on the past few pages, what else can I watch that will make my jaw drop and my fist pump into the air while cheering?

ETA: I'm not really into blood and gore for the sake of blood and gore but its not completely out of the question if the associated stuff is awesome, if that helps, but what I'm really after is just over the top ridiculousness with likable characters and a generally fun vibe even if there is character death and pathos at times.

It's a movie, rather than a series, but you should check out Sword of the Stranger.
Trailer (in English):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iI31EKaLZE
It's not crazy and over the top like Gurren Lagann, but the action is pretty incredible regardless.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 24, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I just finished watching Madoka Magica.

Are there any animes out that that wont seem worthlessly inadequate under the smothering shadow that masterpiece?

Paranoia Agent, Eureka 7, and Haibane Renmei are three shows that I would rank as high or higher than Madoka (which is also one of my favorites). None of them are like Madoka in terms of plot or anything, just well fantastically well-crafted shows all around.

I didn't really love Fate/Zero, I thought it was alright, but it didn't blow me away, ymmv of course.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The movies Ghost in the Shell and GitS2: Innocence and the series (Stand Alone Complex) are in completely different continuities.

e: Beaten like crazy so I'll add a bit.

Both the original movies and the SAC series are based on Masamune's manga, the series takes the characters and setting and explores them in a different way than either the comic or the movie did. There's concepts and even scenes that appear in virtually all of the variations, and things from the original manga that showed up in SAC that didn't make it into the film.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 7, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Last Emperor posted:

Just finished Steins Gate, another very enjoyable show. Is the OVA worth watching?

Yes, definitely.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hulu has some shows with both dubs and subs, and most, if not all, of the anime on Netflix is dubbed too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

A while back someone recommended the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga to me. I've read the first three volumes and I think it's lovely. The art has an elegant, lyrical quality and really brings out the feeling of a world in graceful deterioration. The writing, which is always from the POV the characters, does an excellent job of conveying a larger narrative without clods of exposition - the characters have a sense of history and place. A gentle, elegant story so far. I think this is the first thing I've read/seen that captures some of what I liked so much about Time of Eve, beyond the superficial resemblance of having robots in cafes (two of my favourite things, I suppose).

God drat do I wish that YKK had an English version that I could buy.

As long as I'm wishing for poo poo I also wish the same for Aoi Hana and Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. :sigh: rip Jmanga.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The first season (iirc) does get better once the focus shifts away from the terrible main character a bit. Almost nothing I liked about the show had anything to do with him (if he's the butt of a joke it's fine, basically), and there's still a character or two to be introduced--all of whom are better than he is.

He'll always be aggravating (to say the least), but even in the first season there's some good situational comedy that takes place with the rest of the cast.

The show is a long way from being perfect, but as an actual anime sitcom set in a restaurant I thought the funny bits outweighed the bad.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 1, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It seems like Sailor Moon should be included because she's an action/adventure hero written and drawn by a women for a female audience. I'm not sure if her popularity matches those others though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh man, I didn't realise the US release for Daily Lives wasn't until August, that seems like forever away. I also completely missed the news that there's a live-action adaptation coming out in October.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's a Steins;Gate movie hitting Japanese theaters soon, the trailers have me pretty excited to see it.

For your request: I think Otome Youkai Zakuro has a great cast and the whole bunch of them bounce of each other really well. And for great characters and interaction you really can't go wrong with Chihayafuru and Kids on the Slope. Neither of those are scifi, if that matters though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tsuritama has one of my favorite semi-recent OPs. The show itself rules too, so everyone should watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVY7gylrxk4

Maybe we're due for another favorite Openings and Endings thread? Not sure this is the best place for them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Kimi no Todoke anime is definitely worth watching, I flip back and forth about whether I like it or the manga more. Definitely watch (and read) Paradise Kiss. Lovely Complex anime is amazing and so is the manga, the comic drags a bit tho. Also watch Honey and Clover!

Toradora is better than it has any right to be, but is definitely set in anime land rather than the real world.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Whoops. Double post. :shobon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't Aquarion the mecha show where the robots are powered by orgasms or something like that?

Bwahahaha :suicide:

wikipedia posted:

During Unification, the Elements experience an influx of power and energy, which in classic Japanese fan-service style is shown to be a feeling of wondrous power for the men, while for the women it is blatantly orgasmic in nature.

Wark Say posted:

A quick question. Now that Summer's here, I kinda haven't made up my mind on what to watch and given that, while magnificent, Legend of The Galactic Heroes is not precisely a cheery show (except when the most charming man among men appears :allears:) and I kinda want to watch an Anime that's more upbeat in overall tone, a friend made me the recommendation of the Aquarion Duology.

Since he's made me watch some anime that went from so-so to horrible poo poo in the past, I kinda wanted to ask here: Are they any good? I'm not asking for the second coming of Gurren Lagann, I just want to see a series whose characters bust a move and strut their stuff.

Have you seen Hyouka? It's not science fiction or action like some of the other shows you've mentioned, but it is pretty upbeat and a lot of fun in addition to being really well animated.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

I kind of want to see a series with an upbeat tone inside a sci-fi / mecha setting. But...

Bodacious Space Pirates

That's a serious answer by the way, there's basically no fanservice and I thought it was a super fun science fiction adventure story, with a good batch of characters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Be warned that Demon Prince Enma is extremely fanservicey.

I'd recommend Mononoke. Its art-style is a bit weird, but it takes a lot of inspiration from traditional Japanese horror stories and monsters.

Another series that I would recommend is Shiki. Its a slow paced horror that gradually builds up an atmosphere of despair and hopelessness. I also really liked how the village ultimately discovers the true nature of the entities tormenting the village. Be warned that the character design is anime as hell though.

Does Demon Prince Enma have fanservice? I thought it was the straight horror version. I know that the original manga and recent anime Dororon Enma-kun aka *Bamf*It's Enma!~crickle crackle~ aka Demon Prince Enma: Burning Up! is chock full of fanservice based comedy.

It's kind of confusing!

Shiki is, in fact, pretty good. Even with the aforementioned hair wackiness.

E: vvv aha!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 29, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of Kon; is there any word of a reprint of Paranoia Agent happening? Or will I have to trawl used sellers if I feel the need to own a physical copy for a reasonable price?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Watch Kimi no Todoke, also on Crunchyroll. I don't think either is streaming anywhere, but you would probably also enjoy LoveCom and Paradise Kiss.

And yeah, while it's inclusively romance rather than exclusively, watch Chihayafuru because it is the best, CR has that too.

Then if you feel like ranting and/or raving about any of the shows, or just want more recommendations head over to the Misc. Shoujo and Romance thread.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Not anime but if you haven't watched the movie version of Battle Royale, do so. It's one of the best films ever made. Err, stay away from the sequel though.

Scott Pilgrim author Brian Lee O'Malley's take on a Battle Royale poster.

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more manga or anime with that kind of setup. Or maybe I just don't know about them, other than Battle Royale it's not really a genre/storyline I particularly enjoy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:doh: Well poo poo, the only reason I didn't suggest that over in the other thread is because I didn't think you'd like its languorous pacing. Glad to hear you liked it, Shimura is one of my favorite manga artists, I especially love her line-work and every time she busts out the watercolors. If you're on the adtrw wiki you should add to its page!

As far as Girl Friends goes, it's not "moe" if by that you mean it's the old "four girls hang out in a club, nothing much happens" sense. It's almost laser focused on the main character realising she's gay and is falling for her best friend, and the whole plot moves along at a pretty good clip. Unlike both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto the side cast isn't noticeable at all, the two leads are fine, the rest of the cast is just kind of there.

If it still doesn't look like something you'd like you should check out anything by Takemiya Jin, her work is probably tied with Shimura for being some of my favorite. She's also an out lesbian herself, which might help with how real her characters feel.

And, in case you didn't know, both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto had 12 episode anime versions produced. Sasameki Koto is actually up on crunchyroll and Aoi Hana just got a US dvd release a while back, both stop before the stories really get rolling (Aoi Hana at least covers the whole of Fumi and Sugimoto's relationship), but are still nice to watch if you're a fan. Aoi Hana's anime is really nice looking and Sasameki Koto's isn't without its charms.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 19, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Katanagatari can get kind of of wordy sometimes I suppose, it never was a problem for me though. :shrug: Plus sometimes it looks really, really cool.

I really liked it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

In the meantime, any good shows like "Working!!" or "Servant x Service" out there, where character interaction is what makes the piece really click, and its preferably not set in a high school?

While it is set in high school, the characters and their interaction is a large part of what makes Chihayafuru so great. (The other parts are: fantastic animation, direction, music, writing and voice work)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In addition to the Wandering Son and Aoi Hana mangas, you might also like Love My Life which is about a woman who comes out to her father as a lesbian and is surprised as hell when he in turn comes out to her as gay.

And Honey and Honey which is an autobiographical story about the author and her girlfriend and their life together in Tokyo.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 31, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm just looking for recommendations for new and good/popular shows.

Chas McGill posted:

Surprised more people haven't mentioned Chihayafuru as a great recent show. I'm not as enamoured with it as a lot of people, but it's one of the best 'new' things I've seen and definitely one of the best sports animes out there.

Emphatically seconding the suggestion to watch Chihayafuru.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kimi no Iru Machi is awful.

Claymore is alright, it's the only full-on shonen series with lots of fighting that I stay up to date with.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 6, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sylphid posted:

Are there any really good yuri shows that tend to be pretty character-oriented and deal with the more emotional aspects of relationships?

I've recently finished up Maria-sama ga Miteru and loved it, so I was wondering if there were any other shows that are a lot like that.

Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto are basically it, and unfortunately both shows end before a whole lot happens. I still highly recommend watching them, but overall you'll have better luck with manga.

e: typos

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 10, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Terry van Feleday posted:

Well, recently I've been looking for something like Bodacious Space Pirates or the early parts of Gatchaman Crowds (which, by the way, is a thing you should watch) - a show that's colourful, dynamic and relentlessly brimming with positive energy. One of those "feel good" kind of shows that doesn't feel too low-key or slice-of-life-esque (though I'd be willing to try something like that, too). Bonus points for female protagonist. Are there some shows like that you'd recommend?

Tsuritama if you haven't seen it yet. e: ^^^^see!vvvv

It's not science fiction and is kind of slice of life-y, but Hyouka is a whole lot of fun. The production values are through the roof and the cast is lively and engaging.

You might possibly give Rinne no Lagrange a glance, it's not even close to being as good as Bodacious Space Pirates or the things I suggested, but it is pretty positive with a mostly female cast. It also has problems with fanservice and a boring second season.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OxeHunden posted:

And on the side, I've got a 4,5 year old (he made me put the ,5 in) who also wants something to watch with me but it can't include any or very little violence cause I'm not gonna be up all night cause of bad dreams. It can have some story but not too difficult to follow or he'll lose interest. We tried Pokemon but he didn't really go for it and hamtaro wasn't much good either. I'm pretty sick and tired of dora the explorer so please help me out.

This is from a while back, but he (and you) might like Shinryaku! Ika Musume / Squid Girl I think Netflix has the dub available for streaming.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I literally flip-flop on whether I love Kimi ni Todoke's anime or manga more. Unlike most recent shoujo anime this one actually gets to a reasonable stopping point in the story, and the manga is still going strong even past that point. They're both really well done: the anime has some great production values and if I was forced to decide which way would be the best way to experience the story first I would (just barely) go with the animated version.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mr. Belding posted:

So Attack on Titan convinced me to snag a crunchyroll subscription and now I need a couple more shows to get my money's worth. More actiony/sci-fi stuff is great. I like Lovecraftian creepiness too as well as steampunk/victorian/sherlockian shenanigans as well.

Basically anything well written that is more horror than harem would be right up my alley. Well-written as far as plot and pacing at least. The dialog is going to be destroyed by cheap translations anyway.

Fate/Zero and From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori).

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 12, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Now I desperately want someone to do a perfect adaptation of Gibson's Bridge trilogy. Production IG or Madhouse would be perfect for Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties.
Starring Hatsune Miku as Rei Toei! :v:

I'd be happy either with an animated show or a live action HBO miniseries really. Just seeing a well realized version of the Golden Gate bridge as a version of Kowloon Walled City would be wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's basically the same, the side cast does stay very relevant, maybe even a bit more so. If you're asking if they ever actually start dating the answer is: yes, it is pretty near the end of season 2 though, the manga has long since gone past that point now.

It isn't ever going to speed up however. It's always all about small steps, both forward and back, and individual interactions among the cast. It's really, really not about being a big rush to get them together.

• Locked thread