Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Last Celebration posted:

I've never personally understood all the One Piece fans who said the manga/anime was unremarkable before Arlong Park. Like, isn't the whole point of One Piece is that it's a charming goofy magic pirate comic book that never really forgets that it's a children's comic book? I mean, it only gets more ridiculous after Arlong Part anyway, which is what the guy seems not to like about the show.

No, those people are right. It took me four years to give One Piece a second chance -- and I'm glad I did -- but the first 200+ episodes are horribly formulaic and repetetive and it's not until Water 7 that the show does anything to deserve that second chance.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Recommend me anime about REVOLUTION.

Difficulty: I've already seen Utena, as well as One Piece, Code Geass, FMA, and about half of Chevalier d'Eon. The overlap between those shows is a pretty good indicator of what I'm looking for, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

McNagah posted:

Kaiji uses heavily on a lot of revolutionary themes inside of it's story, but it's something different then most of the shows you listed.

Thanks, this one I never would have guessed on my own.

I've seen most of the suggestions too, but I'll put Rose of Versailles and Glass Fleet on my list and maybe give LoGH that second try I've intended for it for god knows how long.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, I love shows that have conventional plots, but with the main character being a horrible, broken person. Is there anything outside of Evangelion that's like that?

I'll second Fate/Zero and especially Welcome to the NHK.

Mirai Nikki also qualifies, but it's as tonally and thematically different from Evangelion or Welcome to the NHK as you could get.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

Btooom! fits this well, but it's not that great. Mirai Nikki also turns into this (excluding the main character, mostly).

Uhh no, not excluding him at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

e: I'm also looking for a show that is heart-wrenching and depressing. Something that's NOT Clannad, Air, or any of those other terrible shows staffed by Key. The show I'm looking for is more along the lines of Shadow Star or Now and Then, Here and there, which are two of my favourite manga and anime, respectively.

If you're only looking for depressing there's always Saikano; I hated it and thought it was nothing but unrelenting miserablism, but I tend to be a much harsher critic of tragedy than comedy.

If you want tragedy in the more traditional sense (protagonists with actual agency, brought down by their own mistakes and failings) then yeah, anime at large sucks at tragedy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 11, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

What can I watch that's got wuxia influences?

Katanagatari's got a little of that in its DNA, depending how strictly you define wuxia. (It doesn't fit the "set in China" part, for instance.)

Plus it's re-airing right now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, this might be a long shot, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good romantic (dark, slice of life- poo poo, I'll go for ecchi in a pinch) anime that has really sappy, happy endings? I'm talking shouted declarations of love, happy smiles all around, tears of joy, deep kisses only broken when they come up for breath, hugging, soaring music, cherry blossom petals every-loving-where, "And they lived happily ever after", the WORKS. Again, genre or even level of fanservice doesn't matter, and hell, neither does the orientation of the characters. Just an awesome love story with a gloriously happy ending.

Eureka Seven.

Also count me as interested in "more like this, any genre, please." I know a few other action + romance series that could kind of count but don't dial it up to eleven as effectively, but I could do with branching out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! I've actually watched Eureka Seven already, should have mentioned that :shobon: In any case, I'm going to try Emma and that second suggestion of a kitten for now. As for the mteal- meh, I can live without it.

What I'd give for some unholy combination of Brutal Legend and Kannazuki no Miko...

Just to be sure, you've seen Detroit Metal City, right? It's a series of skits so there isn't really an ending*, but I'm pretty sure you'd love it.

*There's a live action adaptation that gives it an overall narrative, but it's clumsily handled and the best parts of the movie are scenes from the manga that would work just as well out of context.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Relambrien posted:

I just really want to see a parent invoking their position and trying to do something cool/touching with it. I don't even know why.

fake edit: Actually let's generalize this to any character invoking their relationship with another character as a reason for doing something climactic. Boyfriend/girlfriend, parent/child, brother/sister, teacher/student, whatever.

Gankutsuou should be right up your alley, and is excellent.

Phantom Memories Kurau is about a pair of sisters (sort of) but with an age difference such that the older sister acts like a parent to the younger one. Also their father figures in pretty significantly. I had issues with the pacing, but it's worth a shot.

The parents in Mawaru Penguin Drum are almost universally awful, but that aside the entire show is about different permutations of this.

I'm actually having trouble coming up with better examples because anime suffers from the Disney Orphan effect so goddamn badly.

Comedy option: One Piece is basically 600 episodes of nothing but "character invoking their relationship with another character as a reason for doing something climactic." :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If I remember correctly there's only one event in Tatami Galaxy that really counts as "time travel": towards the end Watashi meets a future version of himself and it helps scare him into getting his poo poo together. But it's more of a metaphor made literal than a science fiction plot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Saturday Mornings posted:

I just started Mononoke today on a whim and it's everything I wanted it to be. Fantastic, and it's going to break my heart when it's all over. What a wonderful, weird, and colorful (the colors!) ride.

Keep in mind that Mononoke is a spin-off of an earlier series, Ayakashi. Although full disclosure, I've seen Mononoke and never got around to watching Ayakashi myself. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tsuki posted:

Right now we're watching Space Brothers weekly and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I guess a bromance or buddy show with fast-paced action or comedy would be a good fit. Old (80s, 90s) shows are fine.

Tiger and Bunny. (I didn't care for it but a lot of people here loved it, and it suits this description perfectly.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Second, I would like it if anyone could recommend a really well animated anime that is just no-nonense adorable. I'd like my heart to bleed.

Nichijou.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

I just finished ep 4 and 5, and its definitely a lot better. It's at least enjoyable to watch now, even if it hasn't yet lived up to everyone's monumental praise yet.

It took me till like episode 10 to "get" Eureka Seven, you should be fine. :v:

Also it doesn't look like anyone recommended Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is probably the single most relevant answer to "what is as good as Madoka?"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Booya posted:

What's a good show about stylish, fabulous, and colorful men beating the poo poo out of each other, or maybe even doing other cool things? I watched and enjoyed Gurren Lagann and the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime.

Redline's good if you want them driving cars. (Though it's a movie, not a show.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Well, IIRC there's a ton of setup and jumping around from year to year before it settles into the main action arc aboard the train. I could see getting put off by the way it goes "We're going to tell this story, and that story, and don't worry we'll get around to continuing each of them sooner or later, but meanwhile over here..."

That said once it does pull them all together, it's spectacular.

Durarara!! is worse at narrative economy and the kids kind of suck as protagonists, but the other characters make up for it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

I just started FMA and HOLY gently caress THIS SHOW IS FANTASTIC. All the magic-babble is actually quite entertaining and really defines the world and its mechanics in a very simple and straightforward way.

Make sure you go with FMA: Brotherhood if you don't want another case of "what is this bullshit" at the end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Personally, I think the first anime's ending is decent in its own right. It doesn't just abruptly stop; it ties everything together.

Nah it's pretty much the epitome of a Bones Ending, "narrative logic breaks down in favor of abstract dream scenes regardless of whether they're appropriate, the characters pass over to some kind of alternate world and leave everything behind, we really want to be Gainax but are terrible at it."

And that's being charitable and pretending Conqueror of Shambala doesn't exist.

Nate RFB posted:

TBQH I think people should just read the manga and avoid this hassle.

This works too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Recommend me a show with the anime equivalent of Mulder and Scully -- an adult man and woman whose relationship is professional rather than romantic/family/etc, who work as equals to solve problems. If you know of something similar that only follows most of those guidelines, that's fine too; I'm willing to budge on anything except "they're both teenagers."

The near-perfect example would be Roger and Dorothy's interactions in The Big O, except that he's her boss.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Relambrien posted:

Psycho-Pass.

Excellent example, but I watched it as it aired.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

I remember Mulder and Scully as having quite some romantic tension. About as much as the guys from Black Lagoon.

If it's there but not the focus of the show that's fine. I guess I should have said "professional first" and not "professional rather than."

I've seen Black Lagoon and Ghost in the Shell too, though. :shobon:

I'll give Tetsuko no Tabi a shot.

StandardVC10 posted:

So I guess I'm curious about comedy animes. I watched all of Azumanga Daioh and liked it quite a bit, and I have enjoyed Hataraku Maou-sama so far. Hidamari Sketch was decent but very slow paced. That's about all that I've ever bothered to watch more than one or two episodes of.

edit: Also, I guess I prefer more self-contained, sketch-type stuff, rather than following a long story arc across a bunch of episodes. But it's not a deal breaker.

If you liked Azumanga, try Nichijou.

As for comedy recommendations in general, Level E is really good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

Try "Hare+Guu". Its strange, fast-paced, and even though there's some semblance of arcs as far as characters are concerned, the whole show is so aggressively off-kilter that they're essentially just background noise.

Seconding this. Every other comedy on this page, however good, pretty much ran their course and I'm happy to let them end. Hare+Guu got two seasons and two OVAs and I'm still bitter that there isn't more.

(Well, that and I haven't seen Cromartie.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eva's really good but a big part of what makes it such a conversation magnet is how ambiguous it is, rather than how good it is. There's just so much to talk and argue about.

If all you want is something with the same depth and substance, there's always Revolutionary Girl Utena or Welcome to the NHK.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Also, "internet nerd" was translated into "networking four-eyes" in the sub somehow, which ended up being pretty amusing.

No, she literally calls her "megane" i.e. glasses. The "networking" part is a reference to her having connections in high places, not computers. It's more like calling her "teacher's pet" than "internet nerd" but I guess that wasn't precise enough for them.

We've got an Eva thread if you're interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541145

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure SAC is its own continuity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ed Mungo posted:

I've been checking out posted recommendations looking for good stuff I might have missed (have seen most of what tends to be recommended); just gave this a shot and couldn't make it through the second episode. I got to the cat-maid cafe scene and had enough. Disappointing, because I like shows with older characters and the design of the main guy caught my eye.

You're overreacting. The point of the maid cafe scene isn't that maid cafes are hilarious and awesome, it's there to characterize the protagonists as maladjusted nerds. Steins;Gate is basically about Okabe's transformation from that annoying kid who quotes 4chan all the time and doesn't really understand how human interaction works into -- well, not exactly "a healthy well-adjusted human being," but certainly something better than what he was.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bruc posted:

As for an actual recommendation, I am really enjoying this Attack on Titan show, is there anything relatively comparable? I like the whole feeling of dread/doom it has to it and how brutal it is so far without being outright depressing, plus the action is pretty neat.

Just to confirm the obvious, have you seen/read Berserk yet? (The "read" part is important, because the show by itself is hella depressing, but only because it turns what should be the 1/3 mark of the story into the ending.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I tried to get someone to watch it with me on the condition that we'd watch the dubbed version. They laughed out loud at the protagonist's 'anime' voice and refused to watch anymore. I didn't really want to watch it either, even though I was a big fan of the Japanese version.

Roger sounds fine in The Big O, and I don't say that about many dub voices. The trouble is everyone else.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone suggest a lighthearted action show along the lines of Gurren Lagaan/E7?

You might like Tiger and Bunny, if superheroes are a reasonable replacement for robots.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Redcrimson posted:

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Listen to this guy.

Mawaru Penguin Drum (by the same director as Utena) and Katanagatari might suit you, too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Endorph posted:

The Utena movie wasn't a recap movie so much as an entirely different thing - it was almost intensely nonsensical and Utena and Anthy had vastly different personalities. And Utena had a much better fashion sense.

I always saw it as an emotional/spiritual sequel, obviously not something that could have literally happened "after" the show ended but still a way to complete what was arguably an incomplete story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eddie Dingle posted:

Ok, so Masaaki Yuasa is by far my favorite director in anime. I'm also a big fan of Satoshi Kon's work, as well as, most of Kenji Nakamura's. Is their anything else out there like these dude's stuff? I've also seen what Yoshitoshi Abe has to offer and while I enjoyed it I didn't love it. looking for something with some artsy and/or surreal elements. Oh, and I loooves FLCL too.

Kunihiko Ikuhara (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mawaru Penguin Drum) is less prolific but excellent.

Hiroyuki Imaishi isn't always as consciously "artsy" as the others, in part because he usually collaborates with a screenwriter instead of writing his own scripts, but Dead Leaves and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are really cool and experimental in a visual/stylistic sense.

Mahiro Maeda doesn't seem to have a ton of work where he was the sole director, but he worked on the designs of the Angels in Evangelion and directed Gankutsuou.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 21, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eddie Dingle posted:

Cool, thanks. I watched Penguin Drum a while back and really liked it, so I guess It's on to Utena now.

Panty and Stocking looks really interesting, but I don't generally find anime's brand of humor that funny. I do find FLCL, Cowboy Bebop/champloo, and Golden boy to be genuinely hilarious though. Is it something that might be up my alley?

Imaishi directed Haruhara Haruko's rampage in the hospital, so if you liked the distorted animation and slapstick comedy of FLCL P&S is very much more of the same.

The rest of P&S's sense of humor is very influenced by Western, Cartoon Network-type shows, and if that's still not enough the English dub tweaks or outright replaces a lot of the jokes with stuff American audiences would recognize. (It's a good dub, too.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Blhue posted:

I dunno, the main emotion Planetes inspired in me was wanting to punch the male lead everybody in the mouth.

I may revisit it some day because obviously the point is to give them room for growth, and Eureka Seven (for instance) started out nearly as bad. But not today.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

And in the same case, any recommendations for any good slice of life animes?

Nichijou is spectacular.

Hare+Guu (aka Hale Nochi Guu, "The Jungle Was Nice, Then Came Guu"), while it might stretch the definition a little, is another good one.

Stalins Moustache posted:

EDIT: Oh, and I saw Mirai Nikki and Gurren Lagann some while ago as well and I really enjoyed them for the batshit crazy stuff going on. Any recommendations on that as well?

Watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Valvrave the Liberator, and Code Geass.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

JD posted:

Hey guys, a girlfriend asked me about anime and said she really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist and FLCL. Any recommendations based on those? Movies would be cool too. I was thinking of watching a Miyazaki and maybe some of Evangelion with her.

Eureka Seven. The show was designed to pick up the timeslot after FMA ended.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, I'd swap Luffy in for Amuro.

Also, which Jojo -- I assume Jotaro?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

He asked for comics and for "heroes," which probably influenced the selection process. If the comparison is (I'm guessing) to American and European superhero comics, then a lot of the results in that poll (including the top four!) aren't applicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mercrom posted:

I really liked the first 14 episodes of Death Note. I wanted to watch something else with a magnificent bastard of a main character, so I watched the 3 episodes of Code Geass. It's like everything terrible about anime except pedophilia combined in one gigantic clusterfuck, and so far it is the worst anime I have ever seen. Does it get better or what?

Code Geass has one of the best first episodes in anime, and Death Note is mediocre trash. Sorry. v:shobon:v

EDIT: In fairness I thought exactly the same thing the first time I tried to watch it, but my opinions back then were stupid.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 10, 2013

• Locked thread