Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I watched Kaiji lately and as far as I could tell the moral of the show is basically "You might be literally Hitler but who cares if you're ultra-rich and really unrepentant about it" so maybe that counts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

I've been watching Legend of Galactic Heroes and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sci-fi manga. Everything I've come across seems either for young audiences, or involves giant robots, but I'm looking for something space opera-ish or otherwise more Western sci-fi.

I think you want banner/crest of the stars (crest comes first). It's been a while since I watched it but it's very space operatic.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I feel like I might have something wrong with me because I just can't make myself like Grave of the Fireflies. I like almost everything about it, but there's something about the way the characters are written that makes me totally unable to feel sympathy for them which makes the tragic story bereft of any emotional impact.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Also, having just come off of Steins;Gate and MHS, I REALLY want to stay away from time fuckery for a bit, so I'll pass on Tatami Galaxy for now.

Please don't do this, it's pretty much the best anime ever and has nothing to do with time travel :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Never really cared for G Gundam either, just thought it was sort of boring. :shobon: Wing is absolutely trash though! But hey, not like it hurts to check out an episode of G or W or whatever if you haven't seen them and see if you like them.

This basically sums up my feelings, I tried watching G Gundam because the thread is generally very positive on it and it was just boring as poo poo and campy as all hell.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Corte posted:

What I loved about the animes I listed(notable expceptions being Toradora and K-On obviously) are the following:
-mysterious pasts that you learn about over the length of the show
-interesting and complex characters
-smooth over-arcing plot that doesn't always dominate the story but has some substance to it
-good balance between comedy, action and emotional moments
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music

The Tatami Galaxy - if you can get over the weird art and general strangeness (you watched FLCL so you can) - sounds basically perfect for you. The 'overarching storyline' doesn't really become apparent until much later, though, other than some recurring themes.

Mushishi definitely fits some of those points and I think that it's probably the most mature anime I've ever seen and I generally recommend it to everyone, though it doesn't have any real plot other than the fun of piecing together the main character's backstory from the disjointed episodes. More or less the same comments apply for Kino's Journey which has already been recommended by someone else. I also second the recommendation for Mononoke if you like Mushishi and/or Kino's Journey and are looking for something similar-but-different.

If you find GITS:SAC to not have enough storybuilding continuity for you to enjoy then these suggestions are probably all trash though :shobon:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 19, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I was going to suggest The Tatami Galaxy but then like 6 people beat me to it but it's amazing so I will recommend it anyway! If you liked Mononoke then I'm fairly sure that the art style and general weirdness won't be a problem and it's just a fantastic story once the pieces start to come together.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a lot better if Togusa is your favourite character.

I don't know how anyone can have a favourite SAC character, even if there are definitely some less amazing characters at least half of the cast is way too interesting / awesome to rate any one of them as the best.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Try Sword of the Stranger, it probably has the best animated fight scenes in anything, ever.

I'll second this even though I found the plot a bit overly cliched for something that otherwise takes itself pretty seriously.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've watched HnI while working out and it's a pretty good fit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I have a friend whose anime experience basically went Ghibli => LotGH => FLCL and now he's addicted.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Not sure about dry wit exactly, but if you haven't seen Spice & Wolf the verbal sparring between the main characters is the highlight of that show.
Seriously, I am still pissed off that it doesn't look like they're ever going to make another season of the anime considering how unfinished the end of the second one felt, though it was a fantastic character arc. I know they just want people to buy the LNs but it still sucks :smith:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Depending on what your definition of horror/mystery is, Mushishi might fit, there's certainly a lot of weird mysterious poo poo and some of it is extremely unnerving. I watched it before Mononoke and thought that they had a lot of common ground.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I watched every episode of TTGL, Tiger & Bunny and GaoGaiGar consecutively over about a 2 month stretch of glorious anime heroism and it was pretty drat :911: so I second all those recommendations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

linall posted:

Then there is that one :catdrugs: episode. Good stuff.

Hah, I'd forgotten about that. Man I should rewatch that series it had some great moments.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

a kitten posted:

I want something that is both sad and good.

I guess I'm looking for something that will put my emotions through the wringer, it doesn't have to end on a down note, but the journey there should be rough. Preferably I'd like things that are closer to 5cm/second and AnoHana rather than Now and Then:Here and there or Grave of the Fireflies. Interpersonal drama and heartache rather than existential despair at the world.

Bit late on this suggestion but I watched Wolf Children Ame and Yuki recently and it might not quite have the overall tone and/or pace you're looking for but you might really like it, plus it's only a movie so it's not like you have to make a big investment to watch it. Bonus: baby wolf kids are goddamn adorable :3:

Your post reminds me that I should really get round to watching 5cm per second.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

This is probably one of the only suggestions you're going to get where the main characters actually spend a fair amount of time floating around in space rather than being inside a spaceship, also it is loving fantastic. Everyone should watch it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Oasx posted:

So I guess I am looking for a Science Fiction or Fantasy series that is fairly serious, or at least avoids the worst overtly cute things.

Have you considered Legend of the Galactic Heroes? :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

From the New World is a notable exception.

Since this is the recommendation thread: I'd heartily recommend From the New World, it's pretty good. It probably could have been even better but in spite of some flaws they manage to pull off the "society as you know it is just a thin veneer over how amazingly hosed the world is" thing really well, the action scenes are excellent if you like people blowing up / being ripped into pieces, and the pace at which the world is revealed to the viewer is basically perfect, giving you just enough to make you really crave more.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Srice posted:

Well there's the recent special and a season 2 was announced so let me be the first to say: Welcome, to a better world.

2nd best news I've heard so far this year :allears:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I try not to recommend S&W to anyone (even though it's excellent) because I still find the dangling plot hooks after S2 excruciating :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm a huge fan of All-Rounder Meguru, it can be a bit difficult to follow exactly what's going on in some of the bouts/spars but that's the only complaint I can really muster. A high realism, low/no fanservice sports manga with characters you care about.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Guyver posted:

It ended a couple months ago, after 15 years spanning 20 volumes.

I thought HnI had pacing issues :psyduck:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

There's JoJo's and Mushi-shi from this season if you want to continue watching stuff, but they both have previous seasons you should watch. I'll wait to recommend anything else until you give some further info.

:stare: thanks for pointing out that Mushi-shi was having another season, I don't really follow current anime at all and another season of probably my absolute favourite anime of all time is a huge deal. Everyone should watch this show it's loving amazing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you don't think Charles zi Britannia is the best I don't know what to say :colbert:

Code Geass isn't perfect but it's fun and has some great characters V:)V

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If someone said to you "I found this great anime with a sexy cyborg spy lady and fighting robots!" you'd assume it was 90% action scenes and rear end shots, I think the reason GITS:SAC gets so much praise is because it spends most of its time on character and world building (which makes the action scenes more fun because you actually care about the characters). YMMV, obviously, but I personally think it's amazing though I wouldn't exactly call it "really intelligent" except when compared to other anime.

I think the movies mostly suck complete rear end if that opinion is worth anything :shobon:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'd second the recommendation for Wings of Honneamise but that's because it's probably my favourite anime movie of all time and too many people don't know that it exists.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Let's not miss the big picture here guys: everyone should watch Nichijou and if you don't like it you're a Bad Person who kicks puppies.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Seirei No Moribito is a really drat good series that I don't see get enough praise, nothing groundbreaking but everything about it is very well executed, I found it extremely watchable and badass female leads are always cool.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Try Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei and Mononoke. All fairly slow paced shows with varying degrees of weird supernatural poo poo happens that the characters have to deal with. Throw Seirei No Moribito and Shin Sekai Yori / From the New World in there if you want more action but with some similar themes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Davincie posted:

The live action 2010 chinese one is really good. Its also in its entirety on youtube. From what I've seen of any anime adaptions they weren't any good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHnX4xsplo

As for your abridged question, i really liked the yugioh when I was like 12, but I was also like 12.

I'll recommend this version as well. Souten Kouro is mega terrible don't watch it unless you want shounen as gently caress and missing most of the cool poo poo RTK.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I watched Scrapped Princess a long time ago but I remember it being solid, not amazing, and not terribly fanservicey. Of course I could just have forgotten all the horrible parts and I do distinctly remember being not that satisfied with the series as a whole, so that doesn't sound like a great recommendation :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

loving noooooo :negative:

I know nothing about these kinds of situations, what are the odds of it getting finished in a different publication? Non-zero?

Captain Invictus posted:

Fuuuuuuck, I thought Dorohedoro had finished already, but apparently there's one volume not yet published, and I just hit chapter 127. I've not bought the series yet, but it's definitely on my list of "series to buy when I have the cash" because poo poo, Dorohedoro is fantastic.

I think one of my favorite aspects of the latter parts of the series is (major spoilers)Nikaido's transformation and her antics related to it. I'm not one for fanservice normally, but this artist draws it really well and it never hangs around for too long, often being used in humorous ways as well(Nikaido's idea of a devilish outfit, for example). There's something about devil-entranced Nikaido's EXTREMELY HAPPY FACE that makes me laugh at almost every panel she's in. I'm actually glad she's the "main" character and not Kaiman, as happy as I am to see him make his inevitable return. Jonson is also a surprisingly solid character even without any backstory to speak of, and seeing Lil' Baby Jonson in one of Nikaido's time jumps was adorable :3:. My biggest complaint might be that there was a fairly long period where it dragged with all the poo poo about Risu/The Boss/Aikawa but that's come to a head(or multiple :v:) and I'm really curious as to what'll happen in the finale.

Honestly my biggest issue/fear is that I am really unsure of how the author will tie up everything they've set up nice and neat with a bow on top in a single volume including epilogue for this long-running series. I mean, it's the final showdown, sure, but I feel like we're still going to get at least one or two more exposition dumps which will likely take up a chapter or two on their own.

I agree with this analysis almost 100% by the way, I felt like the period after Kaiman lost his head / died but before Nikaido started to really become the main character and the whole devil thing was a bit weak but apart from the pacing maybe being a little bit erratic lately everything else has been great.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 19, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Who the hell hated Spice & Wolf?

Came here to make this exact post, unless you meant "hate the fact that they didn't make more than 2 seasons" :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's not the most diplomatic way of putting it but Nisemonogatari basically has a bunch of times where varying degrees of sexual assault / harassment are played for laughs, if the concept of this is awful to you then you probably don't want to watch it. I think that it's pulled off well enough that it actually works as humour but it's definitely not tasteful in any way and is probably grossly offensive to many. The toothbrush scene is probably less questionable than many because it's so obviously intended to be excessively suggestive that it works better as a joke than some of the random molestings that happen in other scenes.

The other seasons are much better for this sort of thing, though sadly not totally free of it IIRC. I'm not sure how much story you'd miss if you just went S1 => S2 since I forget where Nise sits in the canon chronology but I'd still recommend that to anyone who may not enjoy the themes in Nise.

It's kind of a shame because if it wasn't for the occasional questionable scene it would be one of my top recommendations to others.

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, just how skeevy is Monogatari? It has a thread here in ADTRW and is supposedly good but the wiki has a gem of a review about it being "harem anime for the sophisticated pedophile". I watched the first episode and it did not seem bad although I can believe it gets (much) worse.
This is still a dumb description of it though, I find it really hard to categorise it as a harem show unless you claim that it's one by default because there's a male main character who hangs out with a bunch of girls.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 23, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Ah man, I've read Death Note already (though I kind of lost track of it after L died) and just a few months ago I binge-watched Code Geass with a friend of mine. Death Note was really engrossing, seeing the intricate plans and all, but I found Code Geass rather too melodramatic and hammy at times.

If you read Death Note and didn't watch the anime you wouldn't realise how hilarious this sounds :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Fuuuuuuck, I thought Dorohedoro had finished already, but apparently there's one volume not yet published, and I just hit chapter 127. I've not bought the series yet, but it's definitely on my list of "series to buy when I have the cash" because poo poo, Dorohedoro is fantastic.

I think one of my favorite aspects of the latter parts of the series is (major spoilers)Nikaido's transformation and her antics related to it. I'm not one for fanservice normally, but this artist draws it really well and it never hangs around for too long, often being used in humorous ways as well(Nikaido's idea of a devilish outfit, for example). There's something about devil-entranced Nikaido's EXTREMELY HAPPY FACE that makes me laugh at almost every panel she's in. I'm actually glad she's the "main" character and not Kaiman, as happy as I am to see him make his inevitable return. Jonson is also a surprisingly solid character even without any backstory to speak of, and seeing Lil' Baby Jonson in one of Nikaido's time jumps was adorable :3:. My biggest complaint might be that there was a fairly long period where it dragged with all the poo poo about Risu/The Boss/Aikawa but that's come to a head(or multiple :v:) and I'm really curious as to what'll happen in the finale.

Honestly my biggest issue/fear is that I am really unsure of how the author will tie up everything they've set up nice and neat with a bow on top in a single volume including epilogue for this long-running series. I mean, it's the final showdown, sure, but I feel like we're still going to get at least one or two more exposition dumps which will likely take up a chapter or two on their own.

Quoting this from uh 3 months ago I guess but good news!

I'm sure everyone knew about this already but I'm extremely relieved that this fantastic story will actually get an ending, eventually :)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Also because no one else in the history of anime will probably ever have the audacity to pull anything like the Endless Eight arc in the second season.

I still don't understand how this is a thing that actually happened, at first I thought "oh that's clever, now there's going to be loads of weird / funny stuff happening like you always get in these episodes" but nope it was supposed to be ~~meta~~ and you have the exact same poo poo over and over.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, Kino's Journey is the closest thing to Mushishi out there, except maybe Mononoke, but that's more horror-centric.

Anyone who cares even slightly about good storytelling should watch all 3 of these, preferably consecutively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I can't possibly imagine Dandy being any better in a dub, his original voice acting was so good.

• Locked thread