Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Norwegian Uber Goon Connoisseur
So, I've been sick forever with a cold that's just not letting go and have more or less run out of things to watch. Would love to hear some suggestions on what's new out there as I seem to re-watch older shows instead of looking for new ones. From the info below you'll see I touch many genres so a good plot with interesting characters is more important than specific genres for me.

New Stuff I've recently discovered and enjoyed; Sword Art Online Season 1; I really really liked this one, probably since I loved .Hack//sign back in the day, unfortunately I thought they botched it with season 2. Jormungand; only watched the first 10 or so episodes but so far enjoying it. The new Hunter x Hunter; I liked the first version but the new is even better.

Old stuff I've been watching for the 2nd, 3rd or more time; Hikaru No Go, Hajime No Ippo, .Hack//Sign, Death Note, Baki The Grappler, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fafner, Planetes and Prince of Tennis +++

Stuff I've watched a lot of episodes of but eventually got bored with: Naruto; I liked this up until about 100-120 or so of the initial series but watched it up until about a year ago then haven't bothered. Bleach; This one I enjoyed up until about 70-80 or when the first long filler arc started but watched until a year/year and a half ago.

New and old stuff I tried but just didn't like; One Piece; This is too hyper and I don't like many of the characters. Gundams in various z's, seeds and wings; I thought I'd like this from the mechas and sci-fi but I just seem to watch a few episodes then putting it away. Fate Night or what it's called. Ranma 1/2; I read the manga and enjoyed it but the anime didn't do it at all for me, will pass on Rumiko animes. Jojo's Adventure; It was fun for about 4 episodes then my head just stopped working :)

Hopefully someone has some good suggestions to keep my running nose company this easter, as the tv will be my best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

One Piece I tried both. Back in the day I got the US shonen jump and read it for about a year in that. Then a couple of years later I thought I'd give the anime a shot but couldn't get past the first 15 or so episodes. I'll give Legend of Galactic Heroes a go. It's one of those things that's always been at the back of my mind but never got around to actually watch. I'd kinda forgotten about FMA tho I completed the first FMA and was ok with it so Brotherhood is a good suggestion.

Have the battle angel alita mangas and enjoyed the first series but fell off Last order after a couple of tp's (viz manga?). Have just re-read Lone Wolf and Cub and might pick up Samurai Executioner and Path Of the Assassin as well. So yeah, I'm all over the place in genres :)

Thanks for the suggestions, it gave me something to look for.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Hmm I don't think I tried OO, I think a buddy of mine has it so will ask him. Worst that could happen is I don't like it :) Mushi-shi, I think I've seen the manga around but haven't picked it up. Just watched a fan-made trailer on youtube and it looks very well done. Will definitely check this one out.

I did watch the first episodes of Azu-manga but never got around to continue it. It was funny enough so if someone around me has it I'll give it another go.

The list I posted wasn't a complete list of what I've watched, it was more of a guide line to what I liked/didn't like but so far some great suggestions have come from all and I am getting my indoor easter sorted I think :) thank you everyone.

On the mangas, can you go directly to biomega and skip blame?

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

I fell asleep so couldn't check for replies :)

More stuff to check out! I checked out the trailer for Chihayafuru and it looks like fun, I'll see if I can get a hold of a copy. Nichijou looks fun as well so will try to find that. Regarding One Piece, I'm not really sure how far it was covered cause I gave my jumps away a long time ago (space issues) so I don't really know. The anime I watched just past that liar fellow.. usoi? or something and he alone made me stop watching. I think I'll wait till the kid gets old enough to watch it and then give it another go then with someone who'll probably go berserk watching it. Will be a few years, he's just 4. What is the age rating on One Piece?

Black Lagoon is another one of those "always been at the back of the mind - remember to watch at some point" so will look for it.

Space Brothers is also a live action movie? is it "good" ? Seeing I liked Planetes I'm pretty sure I'll like this as well, added to the list :)

Regarding Slayers, I couldn't find any complete set available from any of my us or uk distributors. I work at a place that carries dvds so I had a look, I think you'll have to find it secondhand. ADV stopped publishing manga but I don't know if they stopped with dvd as well. Then it'd probably be an issue of rights to release a complete box or something.

Well, thank you all for a lot of great suggestions, I have a lot to go through and try to find. I think I will be set for a good while.

Edit: yeah you can get most of it in individual boxes. And someone suggested "Lost Universe" as a Slayers in space but I haven't watched it myself so I can't back that up.

OxeHunden fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 26, 2013

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

I'm outside the US but seem able to watch some series on crunchyroll and prefer streaming but yeah, what's impossible to get on dvd etc I will look for elsewhere.

Sorry, I googled One Piece names and the character is Usopp who starts out as a "kid who cried wolf (pirate)". I think the kid will love One Piece tho so I will wait until he's old enough and then watch it with him. He gets so into things it even makes Dora the Explorer watchable. "SWIPER NO SWIPING!!!"

Been finishing up Sword Art Online today and will go at Space Brothers tomorrow on crunchy :) Thanks again for all the help.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Regarding Beck: mongolian chop squad, there is a small chance that it might gets translated again. Tokyopop no longer releases much (it seems they're still doing ebooks and print-on-demand?). However, in Japan it seems beck was published by Kodansha, who is now a major US manga distributor and they have been reprinting series that was under the Tokyopop banner earlier. But, and it's a big one, I don't remember Beck selling that well under Tokyopop, at least here in Norway, so I wouldn't set my hopes that Kodansha will reprint a 34 vol. manga series. It also looks like it ran 12 volumes under tokyopop, if you want the first 1/3 of the series.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

It's been a while but now I need some new recommendations. I was recommended a lot of good stuff early in the thread and have found some new ones I like as well that I keep up with every week.

First off, I tried LOTGH and it was not for me. I gave it 10 episodes or so and just couldn't get into it.

I watched both Gundam OO seasons and enjoyed them, definitely one of the better gundam series. Is Unicorn comparable or is it very different?

Still only watched the first Mushi-shi cause the bf wants to watch it as well and he wants it dubbed :/ I really don't like watching dubbed so it's just sat there. Might go back to it at a later point. Chihayafuru I am going back to whenever I'm out of stuff to watch and it's good but I don't get the same vibe as Hikaru no go and prince of tennis gave me. Any other sport/game anime that really pulls you in?

Nichijou was good fun, I'll go back to Azumanga when I run out of other stuff :)

Tried Black lagoon but the only one I could find was badly coded that kept skipping/pixelating so gave that up.

Space Brothers is one of my favorite shows ever, great recommendation. It's lifey enough without too much romance and stuff getting in the way.

Btooom so far is interesting enough. Attack on titan is one of the better action animes I've watched in a long time and the animation is really good. Just started Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and well, yeah it's bizarre but enjoyable. The new Hunter X Hunter is also good though I'm not a huge fan of the current arc, it feels too filler-ish and there's potential plot holes. Hopefully it will get better again.

Stuff I've got but haven't started yet: Stein's Gate, Psycho-pass, Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

I guess I'm looking for something like Space brothers (life without too much romance), Attack on titan/HxH (action/fighting with blood and guts flying but no fanservice or very little at least) and sports/game stuff like Prince of tennis/Hikaru no go.

And on the side, I've got a 4,5 year old (he made me put the ,5 in) who also wants something to watch with me but it can't include any or very little violence cause I'm not gonna be up all night cause of bad dreams. It can have some story but not too difficult to follow or he'll lose interest. We tried Pokemon but he didn't really go for it and hamtaro wasn't much good either. I'm pretty sick and tired of dora the explorer so please help me out.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Robert Denby posted:

Tsuritama has very mild cartoonish violence, zero sexual content, and language that never goes above 'drat' and 'hell'. Not really anything scary either if I recall, though there are a few sad scenes about the main character's sickly grandmother. I think it'd be hard for a kid that young to follow the plot, nonsensical as it is, but the visuals and music would probably keep him entertained.

Some of Makato Shinkai's work would be fine to have on. "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" has two violent scenes, however, they don't dwell on injury or gore and are pretty discreetly done.

Throwing out the required Ghibli stuff: "My Neighbor Totoro", "Kiki's Delivery Service", "Howl's Moving Castle", "The Secret World of Arrietty", et al.

Wait til the kid is a little older for "Nausicaa", "Castle in the Sky", "Porco Rosso", and especially "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke" as those have a lot of frightening, often violent scenes.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions, I will look into the ones we haven't tried yet. I should have specified that we've watched some ghibli like totoro and the cat prince. I've been waiting with the rest because they are PG and I'd like him to be 6 or so before watching the rest. You did remind me of Ponyo which he might like cause its so weird and colorful.

ViggyNash posted:

Get on that right now..

I will try it this week :)

AnacondaHL posted:

Watch One Piece with your kid? Sometimes the answer does not have to be complex.

As for recommendations, I find it odd that you, or anyone ever, would even give BTOOOM a chance, it's really throwing a curveball in what to recommend, especially if you are looking for action with minimal fanservice :psyduck:

Watch the second episode of Mushishi. It should clearly define if you want to watch the rest immediately or keep it on your backlog.

Sports: How about Hajime no Ippo? Boxing or not it's a good show with plenty of episodes.

I should have specified why I didn't want fan service and yet watched btooom. I watch anime while riding the bus to work and the stuff I allow myself to watch in public can be gory but I don't want people watching me watch rape scenes and tits bouncing. I watch stuff like Btooom at lunch and mainly because I try to keep up with anything that's new to manga which we sell a lot of at work. My coworkers are all nerds and don't care. To give an example, people read "the boys" while lunching. Commuting I watch about 3 episodes a day and 1 during lunch which is why I keep coming back to this thread for advice on what to watch.

I will definitely watch one piece with him but it will be when he's older and I'm sure he can follow that long a story as well as the violence. He's still just 4,5 yo and one piece and naruto etc are teen shows.

Will give mushi-shi another chance when done with steins gate. Hajime no ippo I've watched the first 50-60 episodes of but fell off when they changed the animation style.

Chas McGill posted:

Have any of you actually met/been a 5 year old? Haibane Renmei? Most adults don't have the patience for that.

The obvious thing is Avatar: the Last Airbender and even that might be a bit too complex. I don't have any actual anime recommendations since 99% of what I watch is 'seinen', or at least, I think it is.

Avatar looks and sounds cool, I will watch a few episodes to see but googling it was recommended for 8-9 yo. I'll give it a watch and see for myself tho.

Redcrimson posted:

Princess Tutu is a great kid's show specifically because it doesn't talk down to it's audience or sugarcoat it's story. Though I'm not sure it wouldn't be too girly for a boy to sit through.

Alternatively, some light comedies like Azumanga Daioh or Squid Girl might be good.

Azumanga might be short, fast and weird enough, I'll give it a try :) haven't heard of squid girl or princess tutu, will get the first few episodes and see.

Lastly, tl;dr thanks for a lot of good recommendations, I will check most, if not all of them out.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Lovely Complex is pretty drat funny. It also makes the GREATEST faces.

Also getting this, just based on those gifs :D

so, watched 15 or so episodes of steins gate and can't deal with the characters. it's a shame but just no, I hate each and every one of them bar 1 person; the lady who shoots that annoying chick in the face (for that reason alone I don't hate her as well)

my anime week is as follows;
monday morning bus to work - attack on titan, lunch break - naruto sshhiippuuddeenn, evening bus from work - hunter x hunter
tuesday morning bus to work - Free!, lunch break - more naruto, evening bus from work - space brothers
rest of week catching up with naruto, alternating with cowboy bebop and GITS SAC episodes when I just can't take the poor quality of naruto (I only watch it to catch up cause every day at work customers ask me about stuff from naruto)

am getting cromartie now and lovely complex as well. Psycho pass I watched half the first episode but there's always someone hovering over my seat when I try to watch it and it's got some pervy scenes here and there.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Ha, man. That would be way too much anime for me. I struggle to watch more than 3 episodes a week. Psycho Pass actually gets pretty good. I don't usually like Urobochi stuff, but I was eventually won over. There are scenes throughout that you probably wouldn't want anyone watching over your shoulder.

I do fine on planes and trains but I can't read on buses or cars, and the ride is about 30 mins so perfect for an episode. I used to save up like 3-4 months of stuff and then marathon watch series for a few days then start saving up again.

Nipponophile posted:

If you're only watching Naruto because people at work are asking you about Naruto, then you should probably stop watching Naruto. Also, find a better job.

I know but it's all about keeping up with what's current and Naruto is what all the kids here like. Being able to shoot the poo poo and then recommend them better stuff is worth it. I like my job, I work in a huge sci-fi/fantasy store with boardgames, comics, mangas, dvds, lego, miniatures etc etc etc. I'm just glad I'm not into superheroes, if I were I'd be shelling out so much money to keep up to date. (I'm kinda hosed any way cause I just took up magic the gathering again...)

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

I have a dilemma, I watched the trailer for Kill la Kill and didn't like it, then watched the first episode on the bus to work and loved it. Problem is I can't really watch it on the bus cause it goes super fan service almost immediately, so I'm wondering if there's anything as random without the almost nude characters every 3 minutes? (will still watch kill la kill during lunch where no one can judge me)

fake edit: also super happy that the new Hajime no ippo is back to the old style again. I really recommend Hajime no ippo for sport anime fans.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

both I think, it's weird cause from the trailer I really didn't like it at all but watching the episode it just worked for me. So action-comedy deal

edit: re-watching cromartie high school for comedy value. I had forgotten about this until mentioned earlier in this thread.

edit 2:

VVVVVVVVVV Yeah FLCL is great fun, I might re-watch this again. I didn't like Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi as much tho. Will have a look at Dead leaves this weekend, thanks.

OxeHunden fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Just wanna throw a quick recommendation out there for you sport anime fans. I was browsing and found Kuroko No Basket and having watched the first 5 episodes today I'm loving it. Opening song here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwAkthbKMc

oh, and the new hajime no ippo - rising is also fun and captures a lot of the original series' humor and pace. Opening song here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8PQr5PDPq4

• Locked thread