Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Metal Loaf posted:

Further on my earlier question, have the Slayers movies and OVAs ever been compiled into a single DVD collection?

I believe they have. A friend of mine has the collection of movies and specials that I think ADV put out. It was 5 movies and 6 OVAs, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, I think the set is long out-of-print and going for a ridiculous price online now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

atrus50 posted:

Are there any great celebrations of capitalism out there? Like something where the main characters get stuff, and then use that stuff unapologetically to get more and bigger stuff?

[C] is about a supernatural bank that forces people into monster battles with their money as HP. It's also a giant clusterfuck.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Between the CLAMP designs and the hammy acting, Code Geass at least seemed self-aware about how stupid and absurd it was. Guilty Crown wanted you to take it dead serious despite how vapid and shamelessly paint-by-numbers the whole thing was.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Recommend me anime about REVOLUTION.

AKB0048 :v:

You could try Glass Fleet, which is basically the French Revolution, but In Space and with more melodrama. Also terrible mid-2000s Gonzo CG.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

I'm terrible at writing, so I left the Main description blank. If someone's up for it, a description would be great to have.

I usually just paraphrase the synopses from ANN, MAL or TVtropes, but I'll take care of it.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm looking for something psychological, with a bit of anime plot weirdness. I really like all of Satoshi Kon's stuff, and Lain is one of my favorites of all time. Is there something out there like that?

If you haven't seen Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum, I suggest those. If you like Lain, you should check out ABe's other works, Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei.

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, I love shows that have conventional plots, but with the main character being a horrible, broken person. Is there anything outside of Evangelion that's like that?

Black Lagoon. Not so much the main character, but basically everyone else is some kind of sociopathic lunatic.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

I'm looking for something with... interesting characters (and a focus on them).

Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Bakemonogatari, Spice and Wolf.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Something like Fairy Tail might be closer to what he wants.

The best thing about Fairy Tail is how little it cares about it's overarching plot. It's basically badass kung fu wizards doing badass things.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Sinking Ship posted:

friendship, magic, a protagonist that is really competent, and it can be dramatic even without big fight scenes and powerlevels.

Madoka Magica, though it may be a touch on the dark and dramatic side for you. It's a lot closer to Higurashi than it is to TWGOK, that's for sure.

On the lighter side, you can try A Certain Magical Index and/or A Certain Scientific Railgun. I suggest Railgun, but your mileage may vary. Also, Shakugan no Shana.

SomniumObmutum posted:

what I'm really after is just over the top ridiculousness with likable characters and a generally fun vibe even if there is character death and pathos at times.

Have you seen Code Geass or Star Driver?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Endorph posted:

Digimon Tamers is legitimately a really good show. Like, no irony or 'if you like monsters' or whatever. It is a well-written show with a lot of interesting ideas, nice characters, and a cool plot driving it.

Tamers is written by Chiaki loving Konata, otherwise known as the guy who wrote Serial Experiments Lain. Why Bandai thought it was a good idea for him to write a show for children is anybody's guess, but the result is probably one of the most mature and thoughtful "children's anime" ever made.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

If some of them actually hold up, that'll be pretty nice.

Adventure isn't any worse than every other modern shounen marketing vehicle. I'd go so far as to say the fact that it's actually a complete story with dynamic characters may actually make it better.

02 is almost universally considered the worst season. Especially that epilogue... which doesn't exist :ssh:

Tamers, as already stated is still legitimately good even outside it's own franchise. Like Princess Tutu for guys.

Frontier is pretty mediocre, but deviated heavily from the formula(basically becoming Digimon Super Sentai) and almost tanked the entire franchise as a result.

Savers is basically Digimon trying to ride the coattails of the "Big 3" by becoming more hot-blooded and mature(though not nearly to Tamers levels).

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all. I finally finished watching Perfect Blue, so now I've seen all of Satoshi Kon's work, which has left me incredibly depressed. My favourite anime series that I've seen is Paranoia Agent. Are there any series/mini-series similar to this? I enjoy how with much of Kon's work the media becomes so obsessed with its own metaphor that it becomes outright fantasy by its end.

You'd probably enjoy Yoshitoshi ABe's works, Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei and Tehxnolyze. As well as Ikuahara's stuff, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

but the lack of budget in Madoka Magica was pretty apparent sometimes.

Did you watch the broadcast version? A lot of that is cleaned up in the Blu-Ray release.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Baccano is great and all, but I still think the king of "crazy people with guns shooting crazier people with guns in the most over-the-top way possible" is Black Lagoon.

Baccano has a better narrative, but it also has way too many characters.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 2, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Corte posted:

Just finished rewatching Samurai Champloo and looking for something in the same vein if possible, I've already watched Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist which I figure would be go to recommendations. The recommendations in the wiki don't really sound like what I'm looking for either. Basically want something more adult that doesn't center around children and isn't just silly. I did some searching on myanimelist.net and the only thing that really stood out was Rurouni Kenshin but from what I know of it it doesn't strike me as in the same vein as the animes I've mentioned.

Seconding Black Lagoon. Also Fate/Zero and Ghost in the Shell:SAC.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Corte posted:

I'm not sure about Fate/Zero, I've read the synopsis and it seems interesting but the setting seems potentially overwrought. Is GitS:SAC similar to the movie incarnation or different? I just remember the movie being so hyped back in the day that when it didn't blow me away I was disappointed.

The magic Fate/Zero is complex enough to make the Death Note look like a coloring book. Thankfully, after the infodumpy first episode it starts to focus more on the characters and the fighting.

As far as GitS goes, the series is a lot lighter and more coherent than the movie. I'm not sure what you didn't like about the film, but the series is a lot closer to Bebop in tone and structure.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ShardPhoenix posted:

Is it necessary/recomended to watch A Certain Magical Index before A Certain Scientific Railgun, and why would I want to watch either of them? (Honestly the main reason this even interests me is because A Certain Scientific Railgun is a really good name for a show :v:).

General familiarity with Index's existence may help, but I honestly don't think it's worth bothering with.

Aside from the protagonist being magnitudes more interesting, I like that Railgun plays out more like a detective novel or a Batman comic than a run-of-the-mill shounen brawlfest. Misaka stumbles upon some weird poo poo going on in the city and goes to actually investigate it by using her powers in an intelligent way, while still retaining her brash shounen-hero(ine) personality.

Railgun also has way better cinematography. Maybe because it was adapted from a manga, so it's already set up to make use of visual cues.

Granted I only got through the first season of Index, but boy was it a slog. Railgun is just a much more competent series, overall.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

As far as I know, 3.33 hasn't even been optioned yet. I wouldn't expect a US release until 2014.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

What is Seirei no Moriboto about? I cant find an entry on the wiki for it.

A badass female swordspear-for-hire tasked by an empress with kidnapping her young son, the prince, to prevent him from being killed to exorcise the water spirit that inhabits his body.

Corte posted:

So the novel of S;G is available in english? I have only ever read Battle Royale so I'm definitely interested in expanding my horizons in terms of fiction reading.

By "novel" he does mean Visual Novel, in case that wasn't clear. There is a fan translation available on the internet.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 8, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Ed Mungo posted:

I've been checking out posted recommendations looking for good stuff I might have missed (have seen most of what tends to be recommended); just gave this a shot and couldn't make it through the second episode. I got to the cat-maid cafe scene and had enough.

Steins;Gate starts very slow, but it's also extremely rewarding. All the early babbling and dicking around sets up a lot of really great characterization and builds tension for the second and third acts. As for the maid cafe thing, that's just a serious knee-jerk reaction.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

is there any reason to watch Fate/Zero if I'm put off by the premise?

A Yuki Kajiura soundtrack, near cinema-quality animation, engaging characters, and not a highschool in sight.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

From the few dubbed episodes of Steins;Gate that I saw, that dub is also fantastic. I've heard that Okabe's english VA does a much better job.

Michael Tatum, who plays Okabe, was also head script writer Steins;Gate. He's also a big Doctor Who fan. In the audio commentary he describes staying in character for months, and covering his desk with post-it notes to keep up with all the world lines. He put a lot of genuine effort into the dub. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he's better than Mamoru Miyano, but the dub is certainly at least as equally solid as the Japanese.

Endorph posted:

This isn't the 90s, where dubbing was incredibly hit or miss and sometimes a show just got completely butchered.

Unless it's a Sentai Filmworks dub, those are still pretty hit or miss.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Screw you guys, Fate was my favorite route :colbert:

As far as KnK goes, it's pretty much pure distilled Type-Moon. It's a slow, long-winded and cerebral slog. And it's absolutely fantastic. The animation is nearly flawless and the soundtrack may be some of Kajiura's best work, which is saying something. The actual experience of watching KnK might not be the most fun thing ever, but it certainly is rewarding.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

I guess I'm looking for something that's serious about its plot and characters but isn't afraid to also be entertaining and amusing every now and then.

Code Geass?

Edit: Also, stick with Tiger and Bunny. It gets better.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Where do I find anime dubs? Like legally.

Funimation streams almost everything they license. Some of the dubs are available free, some require a subscription.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

I just finished rewatching Eureka Seven, and I'm in the mood for something in the same vein. What I really enjoyed about it was the great character writing/development, the unique setting, and the eventual breadth and scope of the plot

I'm just gonna throw out Vision of Escaflowne.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

G Gundam is just so drat cheesy, ridiculous, yet somehow sincere that it's difficult not to enjoy it. It's like a proto-TTGL.

08th MS Team is great because it is literally a story about the guys that get blown to smithereens in the background of every battle scene in a normal Gundam series. And it is actually more interesting than the teenage prodigy mecha pilot that saves the universe.

Edit: Yeah, okay. I'm dumb.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 15, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Corte posted:

What I loved about the animes I listed(notable expceptions being Toradora and K-On obviously) are the following:
-mysterious pasts that you learn about over the length of the show
-interesting and complex characters
-smooth over-arcing plot that doesn't always dominate the story but has some substance to it
-good balance between comedy, action and emotional moments
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Corte posted:

I guess by kick it up a notch I meant have the over-arcing plot get into gear. I've enjoyed the first couple episodes but if it's just going to be encapsulated episodes where section 9 faces a problem and averts catastrophe I can't see it holding my attention for the entire series.

GitS:SAC is divided into "stand alone" and "complex" episodes. Stand alones are pretty self-explanatory, complex episodes are the actual story episodes that cover the overarching Laughing Man incident.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Stravinsky posted:

I am looking for something that is very chill, and relaxed and melancholic.

Lain is chill and relaxed? :psyduck:

Maybe try Spice and Wolf, Shigofumi, Bartender, and Princess Tutu.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

For it's genre, Railgun is pretty solid.

Pros:
* Surprisingly complex characters for an action series
* Likable cast
* Interesting setting
* Intelligent use of superpowers
* Crisp and fluid visuals
* Good OPs

Cons:
* Relatively low on the action for an action show
* Fanservice. Not ridiculous levels, but it can definitely be off-putting
* Not much in the way of over-arching narrative
* Inevitably linked to Index

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Is Oreimo worth the watch? I watched a couple episodes and while it seems well written and has decent art and animation, the premise is a bit hard to deal with. Does the whole shameful otaku beauty pervade the rest of the show or does it change later on?

Oh, it changes alright. It actually gets worse. It has pretty much dropped all pretense in the second season and crashed straight into otaku incest fantasy. Which is a shame considering it actually started rather strong. But you gotta move them Blu-Rays and LNs, I guess.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

And on top of that, she has a deus ex machina moment and is shown the truth of what Lelouch accomplished with his death.

Actually, that ability does have precedent in the series. CC was shown to be able to share memories through contact in the first season. So you could argue that Lelouch put Nunanally there specifically for that purpose.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 10, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Well, you might as well complete the 90s space western trilogy and watch Outlaw Star too. It's a pretty light-hearted space adventure.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

RebBrownies posted:

Is Revolutionary Girl Utena good? I have never really gotten into too many magical girl animes (aside from Sailor Moon), but I have heard Utena is a lot more mature.

Utena is art, plain and simple.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

PonchAxis posted:

I just rewatched Akira and now I'm itching for some more cyberpunk related shows. Can anyone recommend some good cyberpunk anime?

Serial Experiments Lain

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Orv posted:

"dark" anime in the vein of Hellsing or Baccano!.

Try Black Lagoon. It's an anime send up to 90s anti-hero action movies. It's got guns, swearing, explosions, guns, blood, sex, organized crime, more guns, and Nazis!

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any word on that third season/OVA getting dubbed, incidentally?

I have my copy pre-ordered on Rightstuf. It's slated for an August release.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

I'm getting my friend into anime, she really liked Madoka Magica and Cowboy Bebop. What else should I show her? She likes stuff that "isn't 'fluffy'".

Revolutionary Girl Utena. Literally the pinnacle of shoujo anime.

Steins;Gate and GitS:SAC might be good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

After watching Serial Experiments Lain and Texnolyze, I'm wondering if there are any other animes as serious and mature and with the quality of writing and directing of these 2? I plan on checking ABe's other shows, but outside of those are there any other shows that meet that criteria?

I feel like a broken record, but Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Also, Kino's Journey and Paranoia Agent.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Just watch everything written by Chiaki Konaka at this point really.

Even Digimon Tamers. No, seriously.

• Locked thread