Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stravinsky posted:

I am looking for some really dark/violent/horror SciFi anime. Think genocyber,battle angel alita,akira,betterman, and the like. Espers, evolution, 80s Japan's love of fascism are all welcome.

:hf:

I can say with certainty that Angel Cop, MD Geist (and its sequel), and Baoh the Visitor are all really entertaining. They're not particularly good but they are fun as hell with a couple beers.

Blue Gender is okay- it's basically an anime of Verheoven's Starship Troopers, but with the satire replaced with bitter, bitter cynicism. I kinda liked the ending, but a lot of people think it's horseshit, so be forewarned.

Pretty much anything by Yoshiaki Kawajiri is loving awesome. Just look up his filmography and go hog wild, watch the first thing you recognize that you haven't already seen.

Black Lion is insane. I really can't do it justice with words.

Megazone 23 is pretty entertaining, though I can't speak for part 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Garrand posted:

OOoh, Redline looks like entirely my poo poo. Definitely gonna nab it.

So one of the reasons I asked is that I like to do cycling and weightlifting to get into shape and like that extra bit of mental motivation before hitting the gym. I'll definitely be looking into that Yowamushi Pedal one, but has there ever been an anime about weightlifting before? I honestly don't know what you could even do with that.

Baki the Grappler. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpD3Ffz0hc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

Bleach seems like exactly the kind of thing I'd love but I'm so late I don't think I'd ever be able to get through all of it.

It's pretty much just regurgitated Yu Yu Hakusho but more nonsensical.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

There you go, YYH is near enough to perfect, I'll gladly take more of that.

I'm with you on YYH, but Bleach is just not good. It'll make you want to just go rewatch YYH instead to see a show about ghost punchmans done right.

If you're looking for a shonen, you like YYH, and you haven't watched Hunter x Hunter, do that instead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

I've wanted to before, but there's one very critical problem I have with that series: I hate the main character's look. His design is a loving disaster. I seriously can't get over it.

Mentally replace him with Goku whenever he comes on screen and imagine everyone is just calling him Gon because they have speech impediments that make it difficult for them to say Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mapparu posted:

hi, i got into this japanese drama (the liars game) and i was wondering if there are animes that have the "escape the room" genre. like specifically like the zero escape series. i watched eden of the east and i really enjoyed so maybe i'm looking for something like that. i used watch slice of life animes like a couple of years ago but, i eventually stop watching anime. tia.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is all about escaping the metaphorical room of war

• Locked thread