Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
One tactic you can use is to pre-emptively bomb attacks that you don't like - for instance, say on Marisa's midboss attack Milky Way, you dodge normally and shoot down about half of Marisa's lifebar, then immediately bomb regardless of whether or not you're in danger, which will get rid of the other half and end the attack. The idea being you spend only one bomb on the card, and don't have to deathbomb or lose a life.

As long as you single out attacks for each boss that you don't like, and use all your bombs on each life before you die, you'll find that suddenly you can progress a lot further.

Finally, once you unlock Eirin or Kaguya's spellcards in Spell Practice, go practice them until you feel more comfortable dodging one or two of them. Kaguya in particular has some spellcards which are intimidating on first sightread but can be captured pretty consistently on subsequent runs.

EDIT: Er, sorry, was a bit late there. This still applies generally to all the other games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aliginge posted:

British Touhous :stare:

Now Reimu, wearing red, white and being poor as poo poo would clearly have to come from Liverpool, support Liverpool FC, Sing You'll Never Walk Alone all the time (Justice for Hillsbrough) and have an awful scouse accent. Marisa would be a classy geordie-speakan Newcastle lass, like (Black White like the football team). Yukari, Ran and Chen are clearly Bullingdon club Tory politicans currently running government, Suika is a tracksuited white-lighting-chugging chav, Yuugi is Yorkshire-born-and-bred goddess of the saturday night pissup/fight dahn t'pub while Yuuka is a down to earf Landan lass straight out of an episode of Eastenders who'll knock yer fookin teef aaht if you say anyfink abaat ma Wriggle.

Oh and Aya is both a page 3 photographer, tabloid writer for the Sun and Diana conspiracy theorist, while Okuu is the entire Trident Nuclear defence system

:britain:
See, this is what the choice of dialects for translation does, it makes people consider some characterizations and not others. Since it seems that 99% of anime stuff is translated into English by Americans, for Americans, it's leaving out a whole crazy world of stuff like this.

edit: Speaking of weird characterizations by non-Americans...

Setz: Charismatic as always.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 16, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But like most of those things he says are primarily based on characterisation as opposed to voice. Having Reimu be a white lightning chugging chav is changing Reimu entirely to make her into a Brit so you can do your own thing with her, whereas giving a western translation of a Touhou speaking an Osakan accent a US Southern accent is just emphasising the fact that she's speaking the same language as everyone else, albeit with a different accent. It's exactly the same as if you gave Reimilia an upper class accent, or had Cirno played by a literal 5 year old.

Basically one is a valid technique to use to translate something into one language to another (although making Osaka = Southern is kinda cliché, theres a reason it's used), while maintaining the "feel" of the original, and the other is just you making your own touhou stuff.

Geordie and Scouse, East Coast USA and West Coast USA, Tokyo japanese and Osakan japanese are just different accents, and nothing more.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Namtab posted:

But like most of those things he says are primarily based on characterisation as opposed to voice. Having Reimu be a white lightning chugging chav is changing Reimu entirely to make her into a Brit so you can do your own thing with her, whereas giving a western translation of a Touhou speaking an Osakan accent a US Southern accent is just emphasising the fact that she's speaking the same language as everyone else, albeit with a different accent. It's exactly the same as if you gave Reimilia an upper class accent, or had Cirno played by a literal 5 year old.

Basically one is a valid technique to use to translate something into one language to another (although making Osaka = Southern is kinda cliché, theres a reason it's used), while maintaining the "feel" of the original, and the other is just you making your own touhou stuff.

Geordie and Scouse, East Coast USA and West Coast USA, Tokyo japanese and Osakan japanese are just different accents, and nothing more.
What I'm saying is that dialects are linked into different cultures/social groups whether you want them to or not, so why not either think about them carefully and what they mean, or have some fun with it, instead of just going with the cliches over and over again?

Besides, by "speaking the same language as everyone else", you really mean American English, right?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I'm saying is that dialects are linked into different cultures/social groups whether you want them to or not, so why not either think about them carefully and what they mean, or have some fun with it, instead of just going with the cliches over and over again?

Besides, by "speaking the same language as everyone else", you really mean American English, right?

No, I mean Japanese in the case of the original, or English in the case of a translation. Someone speaking in an Osakan dialect in a Japanese thing is still speaking the same language (Japanese) as everyone else, but in a different way It's not like the equivalent of me speaking British English and my mate speaking French. Same in a US setting with Northern/Southen dialect. Same in British English with a Scottish/English dialect. Just because Osakan mannerism don't actually parse well with Southern US mannerisms what with the two groups being from different countries and all doesn't make it a valid translation technique. It's a tool to get the point across that these people are from different parts of the same country.

So yeah, quite frankly you're right in that they go with the same cliche over and over again, but the reason for that is that it is cliche. If you have every character speaking in one kind of accent and then a clearly different, but still recognisable as being from that country, accent comes along then you know what that means. With the US being the primary source of translations into English it's only natural that the Southern accent be used.

Saying "but why use a Southern US accent when the person what from Osaka that doesn't parse" is kinda dumb when you have a thing where people take bento boxes to school and go to arcades unironically. If you really want to go the whole hog with making things match you may as well start calling onigiri "doughnuts".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Namtab posted:

No, I mean Japanese in the case of the original, or English in the case of a translation. Someone speaking in an Osakan dialect in a Japanese thing is still speaking the same language (Japanese) as everyone else, but in a different way It's not like the equivalent of me speaking British English and my mate speaking French. Same in a US setting with Northern/Southen dialect. Same in British English with a Scottish/English dialect. Just because Osakan mannerism don't actually parse well with Southern US mannerisms what with the two groups being from different countries and all doesn't make it a valid translation technique. It's a tool to get the point across that these people are from different parts of the same country.

So yeah, quite frankly you're right in that they go with the same cliche over and over again, but the reason for that is that it is cliche. If you have every character speaking in one kind of accent and then a clearly different, but still recognisable as being from that country, accent comes along then you know what that means. With the US being the primary source of translations into English it's only natural that the Southern accent be used.

Saying "but why use a Southern US accent when the person what from Osaka that doesn't parse" is kinda dumb when you have a thing where people take bento boxes to school and go to arcades unironically. If you really want to go the whole hog with making things match you may as well start calling onigiri "doughnuts".
Sorry, I'm really not following your logic at all. When did I say anything about French, or about translating to English from different countries, or anything like that? And what does it have to do with bento boxes or whatever? Maybe it's just too early in the morning for me, I dunno...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sorry, I'm really not following your logic at all. When did I say anything about French, or about translating to English from different countries, or anything like that? And what does it have to do with bento boxes or whatever? Maybe it's just too early in the morning for me, I dunno...

Then what the hell did you mean by

Samurai Sanders posted:

because that's the point I was primarily arguing against.

Unless you're implying I speak American English, in which case look this way (and up a bit)
<-------

And the rest of my point was a continuing argument against your original point that translating Osakan japanese into Southern US wasn't culturally appropriate, which is where the bit about the bento boxes came from, for example. You went from originally saying "I don't get it" and then when told about the reason behind the cliché were all like "Man, why can't they just have more fun instead of sticking to cliché", which I also answered just now.

Now let's just talk about how much Imperishable Night owns (because it's literally my fave touhou game)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Namtab posted:

Then what the hell did you mean by

because that's the point I was primarily arguing against.

Unless you're implying I speak American English, in which case look this way (and up a bit)
<-------

And the rest of my point was a continuing argument against your original point that translating Osakan japanese into Southern US wasn't culturally appropriate, which is where the bit about the bento boxes came from, for example. You went from originally saying "I don't get it" and then when told about the reason behind the cliché were all like "Man, why can't they just have more fun instead of sticking to cliché", which I also answered just now.

Now let's just talk about how much Imperishable Night owns (because it's literally my fave touhou game)
Yeah, I guess I'm just confused. Also from your avatar I thought you were saying "English scum!" to someone else, not directed at you. But it's red, so I guess that means it is directed at you. Yep, too early in the morning for my brain (here in Hawaii it just passed 8am).

And yeah, IN rules, but the thing is that I want to use Reimu, but I also want to fight AGAINST Reimu in stage 4, I find that fight so much more fun than against Marisa.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Everyone should just go and play Imperishable Night today and post replays. Here, lemme start. I just made this earlier today after Artificer mentioned the game, 'cuz I just love replaying dem Touhous.

Go ahead, play on Easy and with 7 starting lives, ain't no one gonna judge since we're just having fun playing video games here.

Do you know what the best thing is, Sanders? If you play Imperishable Night enough, you can play Stage 4A with Solo Reimu. That's how awesome the game is. In fact, I will make a replay JUST FOR YOU to prove this point.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Do you know what the best thing is, Sanders? If you play Imperishable Night enough, you can play Stage 4A with Solo Reimu. That's how awesome the game is. In fact, I will make a replay JUST FOR YOU to prove this point.

I think you got him mixed with me

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Namtab posted:

I think you got him mixed with me

Nah I meant Sanders, what with him saying he wants to play as Reimu and fight Boss Reimu

Speaking of, here's the Dream Duel everyone was waiting for! Reimu versus Reimu! Who will come out victorious? (spoilers, it's Reimu)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sorry, I just see Reimu and assume it's for me all the time.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

a cartoon duck posted:

Everyone should just go and play Imperishable Night today and post replays.

This is a cool thing for people to do and as we all know ghosts are the coolest people in Gensokyo. So here is a replay of me playing the chillest team in the chillest touhou.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Namtab, your avatar reminded me of something. There's a long MMD series going on right now called Red Alert, which I believe is not translated right now, but it included this in the latest episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_931rN1m1o

drat Soviet Nazi fairies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

a cartoon duck posted:

Everyone should just go and play Imperishable Night today and post replays. Here, lemme start.

It's been years since I last played IN. I forgotten most the mechanics.

That said, here's Yuyuko up to Reimu.
See if you can spot all the times I forget to bomb!

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=27817

I'll post a second replay later today, to see if I improve any with practice.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 17, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Namtab, your avatar reminded me of something. There's a long MMD series going on right now called Red Alert, which I believe is not translated right now, but it included this in the latest episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_931rN1m1o

drat Soviet Nazi fairies.

If it's not translated I don't understand it. Please translate it for me tia.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Namtab posted:

If it's not translated I don't understand it. Please translate it for me tia.
You need me to translate a video of a fairy army marching over Gensokyo?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

It's been years since I last played IN. I forgotten most the mechanics.

I think my favorite clue that you haven't played IN in years is that you actually take a moment to read the dialogue. I am so used to having my finger firmly plastered on ctrl whenever a boss shows up when I replay it that I almost thought the replay was broken, haha.

Nages, that was a pretty chill replay.

Samurai Sanders, that is not a replay and is in fact an MMD. I know this is an easy mistake to make but please try to pay more attention next time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

You need me to translate a video of a fairy army marching over Gensokyo?

OK I actually watched the video and it was boring, I don't get the joke it's just touhous and russian music what's the deal?

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Watch me bomb everything past stage 4 like a pro.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=27819

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
It's been a good couple of weeks since I last played a Touhou game, so I did this in Easy to get back into it.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=27820

I could probably beat this game on Normal if I work on fixing those stupid mistakes I make.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ryza posted:

Watch me bomb everything past stage 4 like a pro.

I had actually forgotten about bombs until I has already been hit.
Then I had to remind myself which button that was.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I saw people posting IN replays, so I thought it'd be a nice break from SA kicking my rear end. Have a 1CC Normal run here.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Man I find these shooting games so dull. I don't have the patience for such lousy gimmicks as "focus" and "dodging"(or surviving past stage five)

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

I have no need for this elitist bullshit of "reflexes" and "timing". gently caress haterz.

(The only level five boss I've gotten to was Toyosatomimi on Easy. :negative:)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

JackMackerel posted:

I have no need for this elitist bullshit of "reflexes" and "timing". gently caress haterz.

(The only level five boss I've gotten to was Toyosatomimi on Easy. :negative:)

But she's not a level 5 boss???

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

This isn't quite as far as yours, but whatever I get bonus points for hard. I'm able to beat it like this, but this will do for now. http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=27825

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Turns out when you haven't played and sort of STG for a while, spamming Malice Cannon is not a very good idea.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012
Wow I didn't realize that this got a new thread. Thanks to BlitzBlast for reminding me :v:.

But I'll get in on the IN action: Lunatic 1cc with Netherworld Team. This was the first time I played this game in over half a year, and I still managed to grab the 1cc after like 20 minutes of practice (and liberal use of bombs). Thank God this game gives you so many resources. But as for how well my run went... I think my clear stats screen tells the picture quite well:

I still hate this game for requiring so much memorization though.

RacMutau
Jul 4, 2012

I don't need to bench press!
No time to do a full run. gently caress you Marisa!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Finnish 4-koma, fully translated - http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1398795?pool_id=1754

In which Ichirin brings an onion ring to her fight with Marisa in HM.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 17, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

New Finnish 4-koma, fully translated - http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1398795?pool_id=1754

In which Ichirin brings an onion ring to her fight with Marisa in HM.

Thanks, both for your services as a human RSS feed, and for telling me the punchline before I even read the comic. Saved me a lot of time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I think JosephWongKS needs an intervention at this point. :colbert:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Namtab posted:

Thanks, both for your services as a human RSS feed, and for telling me the punchline before I even read the comic. Saved me a lot of time.

I'll concede the point about the human RSS feed, but that's just the premise for the comic and not the punchline. It's like saying "One Piece is about a rubber-man sailing the oceans with his crew" or "Attack on Titan is about man-eating titans attacking the last bastion of humanity".

That said, I appreciate that such posts have annoyed you and others in the thread and will stop posting them from now.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

I'll concede the point about the human RSS feed, but that's just the premise for the comic and not the punchline. It's like saying "One Piece is about a rubber-man sailing the oceans with his crew" or "Attack on Titan is about man-eating titans attacking the last bastion of humanity".

That said, I appreciate that such posts have annoyed you and others in the thread and will stop posting them from now.

Yeah, the premise of a comic is the setup, what the comic is about, in this case it's "Ichirin can't find her gold ring to go and fight Marisa", what you posted was the punchline "so she brings an onion ring instead".

In making a post about a specific 4 panel comic, you never want to be posting anything past the first two panels.

To further clarify, take this 4 panel K-ON comic (the one on the right). The premise here is that "The girls are cleaning the clubroom", and the punchline is "While cleaning, they find a doofy lookin' frog statue that belongs to Yui".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Who cares about unfunny Finns when you got official Touhou mangas to read?

Our protagonists, ladies and gentlemen.

Just download it over at Touhouwiki or check it at your favorite manga reader sites, I know you nerds all have one.

Also confirmed: No one gives a poo poo if Yuuka's around. Suck it, trite and boring fanon bullshit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I guess the maid fairies are all out of a job now.

a cartoon duck posted:

Also confirmed: No one gives a poo poo if Yuuka's around. Suck it, trite and boring fanon bullshit.

Where was she in that chapter?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BlitzBlast posted:

I guess the maid fairies are all out of a job now.

Where was she in that chapter?

She's standing off to the side in one of the party spreads. Not sure how that contradicts any part of her canon databook entry that messing with her flowers is an incredibly bad idea, though.

Edit: At this point they could end up revealing Kasen is not an Oni and it'd be one of the more shocking plot twists.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 18, 2013

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
So at some point Kyouko and Mystia rocked out twice as hard due to their personalities changing for a little while. It's not really important, not as big as the plot twist we all see coming, but it's awesome to think about. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

JosephWongKS posted:

Not to disrespect your own enthusiasm for them, but by the time it gets to where someone's custom-titled you about it, it might be worth taking into consideration.

a cartoon duck posted:

Our protagonists, ladies and gentlemen.

For some ungodly reason I'd never thought to actually track this manga down and read it. Now I will.

Speaking of supporting official Touhou products: Does anyone know if importing the games from sites like Paletweb properly gets royalties out to ZUN?

It looks like the expenses must add up, but considering what goes into making these games and what you get out of them, it seems right and proper.