Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's her excuse and she's sticking to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

That's her excuse and she's sticking to it!

Excuse?! Getting rid of such a masterpiece clearly would have hurt her deeply and if wearing it wouldn't literally have killed her i'm sure she would have used it all the time. :colbert:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

brave nazi aviator posted:

Well i would but,

Well duh, I did not say to share your filthy findings in this thread.

brave nazi aviator posted:

So was my original question. I guess there's no point in asking "how and why this happen, why did it turn out this way"?

Excluding fanworks, touhou is one of the least sexualized shoot them up games featuring under-aged girls out there. Sexualizing under-aged girls is sadly nothing new and will sadly never end.

But the answer to your question is beyond the scope of this thread and anyone in here.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

WarpedNaba posted:

Did Kokoro throw the new mask of hope away in HM, or did she discretely deposit it afterwards? I can't remember.

I believe Mamizou told her to keep it, because she needed to use it to stabilize her emotions long enough to grow out of her need for it. It's unclear what the time frame for that is, but I'm assuming it's decades or centuries because Touhou's very much a "everything is exactly the same as you left it unless it changes on-screen" series. Using it would not immediately kill her, it's more of a "smoking gives you lung cancer" risk.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I believe Mamizou told her to keep it, because she needed to use it to stabilize her emotions long enough to grow out of her need for it. It's unclear what the time frame for that is, but I'm assuming it's decades or centuries because Touhou's very much a "everything is exactly the same as you left it unless it changes on-screen" series. Using it would not immediately kill her, it's more of a "smoking gives you lung cancer" risk.

I thought Kokoro's emotion problems were largely resolved by the end of HM. At the very least she seemed to have developed an ego and enough control over her emotions to get a new perspective on the incident and realize that the religious figures used it for their advantage. And that they should get beaten up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought Kokoro's emotion problems were largely resolved by the end of HM. At the very least she seemed to have developed an ego and enough control over her emotions to get a new perspective on the incident and realize that the religious figures used it for their advantage. And that they should get beaten up.

I figured it was a Koishi-style "and her eyelid twitched while she began to feel regret for the first time" ending. We see that progress has been made, but it's just the first step. Mostly because it would be pretty boring to have a mask character who overcomes her maskness immediately. The FS chapter also seemed to show that Kokoro was pretty much the same.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I figured it was a Koishi-style "and her eyelid twitched while she began to feel regret for the first time" ending. We see that progress has been made, but it's just the first step. Mostly because it would be pretty boring to have a mask character who overcomes her maskness immediately. The FS chapter also seemed to show that Kokoro was pretty much the same.

I didn't mean that she had gotten complete control over her emotions, just at least enough to not unknowingly mind-control a village or need to use a mask that could literally kill her.

I should probably catch-up with FS though, it probably has a clearer picture than whatever I gathered from the dialogue.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I didn't mean that she had gotten complete control over her emotions, just at least enough to not unknowingly mind-control a village or need to use a mask that could literally kill her.

I should probably catch-up with FS though, it probably has a clearer picture than whatever I gathered from the dialogue.

Honestly the dialogue of her route didn't give me the impression that she'd gotten any control of her emotions, rather that she just felt anger for the first time in her life and was overcome by it. She's feeling emotions, which is a step in the right direction, but she's still got a gaping hole in her psyche that needs to be filled by a Mask of Hope. Losing control of her emotions wasn't really the problem anyway, it was being unbalanced. Her ultimate goal is to make her own Mask of Hope out of her own hope.

Her portrayal in FS isn't very interesting, and doesn't really go in depth. It's just her performing her play at the shrine like it says she does in her ending, while Kosuzu gets all freaked out because she's a youkai. I suppose the most interesting moment is when it's confirmed that Hopeless Masquerade was a play she was putting on (written by Mamizou?) with exaggerated caricatures of the characters and funny voices.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Honestly the dialogue of her route didn't give me the impression that she'd gotten any control of her emotions, rather that she just felt anger for the first time in her life and was overcome by it. She's feeling emotions, which is a step in the right direction, but she's still got a gaping hole in her psyche that needs to be filled by a Mask of Hope. Losing control of her emotions wasn't really the problem anyway, it was being unbalanced. Her ultimate goal is to make her own Mask of Hope out of her own hope.

I thought the supposed point of Kokoro's arc wasn't to balance out her emotions, but develop her own sense of self without relying on the masks. I mean she's still a mask tsukomogami so they are a part of her but wasn't her whole thing with Mamizou about developing an ego and not just thinking of herself as individual masks or something? I mean, Mamizou notes that she should stop referring to herself as "we". I think it also fits with how literally everyone other than Mamizou was incredibly unhelpful in solving the problem. Most don't care or leave it to their bosses to deal with. Miko creates a mask that would balance her emotion so well, she would just return to being an inanimate pile of masks and Byakuren tries to teach her to control her emotions, which doesn't help her either. It's only after chatting with Mamizou that she stops searching for the Mask of Hope and starts having thoughts beyond retrieving it. Sure, she gets a little too attached to earning The Title Of The Strongest but at least she's not fixating on her lost mask anymore.

Man, it's kinda hard to think about Kokoro because she's actually supposed to have some slight character development in like the last two stories, but I don't think the way Touhou games are written is really suited to showing that sort of stuff.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

I suppose the most interesting moment is when it's confirmed that Hopeless Masquerade was a play she was putting on (written by Mamizou?) with exaggerated caricatures of the characters and funny voices.

Tbh that would make a great official manga, having the HM story told post-incident via Kokoro, some strong-armed cast as the Greek chorus, and irate comments from the assembled peanut gallery.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought the supposed point of Kokoro's arc wasn't to balance out her emotions, but develop her own sense of self without relying on the masks. I mean she's still a mask tsukomogami so they are a part of her but wasn't her whole thing with Mamizou about developing an ego and not just thinking of herself as individual masks or something? I mean, Mamizou notes that she should stop referring to herself as "we". I think it also fits with how literally everyone other than Mamizou was incredibly unhelpful in solving the problem. Most don't care or leave it to their bosses to deal with. Miko creates a mask that would balance her emotion so well, she would just return to being an inanimate pile of masks and Byakuren tries to teach her to control her emotions, which doesn't help her either. It's only after chatting with Mamizou that she stops searching for the Mask of Hope and starts having thoughts beyond retrieving it. Sure, she gets a little too attached to earning The Title Of The Strongest but at least she's not fixating on her lost mask anymore.

Man, it's kinda hard to think about Kokoro because she's actually supposed to have some slight character development in like the last two stories, but I don't think the way Touhou games are written is really suited to showing that sort of stuff.

The masks are a part of her, so missing a mask means that she's missing a part of herself. It's not for no reason that she's compared to Koishi. Developing her own ego is a step, but the final goal is still to create a new mask for her. It's just a mask made of her own ego, so she doesn't need to rely on anyone else again.

And, well, Kokoro isn't really thinking her own thoughts for most of her route because she's just imitating people. Her fixation on the The Title of the Strongest is just what the first person she met (Ichirin) told her to do, and this is hard to convey in the translation because we never gave the characters strong voices, but after she beats people she starts talking like them until she beats the next person. It's a journey to discover herself by taking on parts of everyone else. I think the theme isn't that no one helped her, but instead that everyone helped her in a small, incomplete-on-its-own way that wasn't put together until Mamizou. In the end, she actually goes berserk for the first time, but that's also kind of cathartic because it means she's finally feeling her own emotions, which is a powerful moment of losing control.

Er... yeah, Touhou is a weird place for storytelling. In the end though, her "power to cause emotions" is just the same thing as telling a story. Her thing is just telling stories.

WarpedNaba posted:

Tbh that would make a great official manga, having the HM story told post-incident via Kokoro, some strong-armed cast as the Greek chorus, and irate comments from the assembled peanut gallery.

No, the point is that HM itself, as in the game dialog and everything, is already the story being told by Kokoro. We never saw the real events in the first place. The newspaper is the Greek Chorus.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

No, the point is that HM itself, as in the game dialog and everything, is already the story being told by Kokoro. We never saw the real events in the first place. The newspaper is the Greek Chorus.

Where do you even get that idea? Pretty sure the events of the game happened as shown in it and it's just that both the game and the play Kokoro does are named Shinkirou.

FractalSandwich posted:

How does ZUN feel about underage drinking?

From Mountain of Faith.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Where do you even get that idea? Pretty sure the events of the game happened as shown in it and it's just that both the game and the play Kokoro does are named Shinkirou.

The writing style of the game is quite different from previous games, most notably the characters being exaggerated. For example Nitori being completely money-obsessed at the expense of everything else, or Miko going full on supervillain with the cape. Koishi's more childish, Futo's more oblivious, etc. Kokoro herself is also shown as a tragic heroine.

So... I guess you could say I got the idea from the fact that the play Shinkirou is described in ways that also describe the game quite well. But that would be a lie because the idea was floating around even earlier than that and I took FS as confirmation... Well, it's also related to the nature of the entire game as "putting on a show". Heck, you could even call it the only game that actually has a real story with character development and everything.

That said, feel free to dismiss it as a crazy theory.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 9, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If Miko going full Evil Overlord, complete with dramatic cape flourishes, evil laughs, and dynamic poses surrounded in sparkles was supposed to a dramatic exaggeration then I don't think I can enjoy canon anymore. :colbert:

Also, Nitori turning out to be a huge rear end in a top hat, Byakuren being really bad at acting like a peace-loving priest and Ichirin actually getting a character were also nice.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 9, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Does bkub still go to NY ComicCon? I remember buying from him two years ago, but I seem to have missed him last year. I can't imagine it's profitable.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be fair, everyone always forgets that Nitori was also an rear end in a top hat in SA.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

To be fair, everyone always forgets that Nitori was also an rear end in a top hat in SA.

Everyone is an rear end in a top hat in Gensokyo it just wasn't until HM that the fans realised Nitori was.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ichirin actually getting a character were also nice.

I think I missed this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Behold:

a testament to my eternal manchild. Akyu's Untouched Records are basically the PC-98 games okay gently caress decimal games

Also FMW3 comes with some really silly trading cards.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Akyu's Untouched Records are basically the PC-98 games

Wait, you can get those? Is it for Windows? It'd be nice not having to deal with an emulator

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

I think I missed this.

Well, I mean Touhou has never been known for deep and complex characters but she was more than the non-entity she was before. She was generally well-meaning and nice but still pretty pumped about beating up heretics. Also very prone to missing the obvious, somehow not noticing that the eerie mask youkai she was talking to and the entire village putting on a Noh performance were not connected. I think it's interesting just because she was pretty much the opposite to how the fandom portrays her.

She also inspired Kokoro to earn The Title of The Strongest so she was pretty cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Justus posted:

Wait, you can get those? Is it for Windows? It'd be nice not having to deal with an emulator

They're just music CDs with the soundtracks.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Justus posted:

No, but it's not like the PC-98 emulator is hard to set up or anything.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

No, but it's not like the PC-98 emulator is hard to set up or anything.

Patching the games to English though takes a bit more effort.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've started on the Touhou music collections again because I'm tired of the 80-some-odd gig folder of music wasting space on my hard drive.

Great then that the first thing I open is a half dozen albums of uncompressed MIDIs that take up a full half a gig. Into the loving trash with that, except two vocal tracks that were so unbelievably bad I had to keep them for Booby Prize Folder Mark II

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can't patch the PC-98 games to english though (unless something changed very recently?) The main menu is easy enough to understand, and the story is now non-canon, so you're not missing a lot.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Something did change recently. I even posted about it here. Let me dig up the post.

HGH posted:

EDIT: Don't really wanna double post but someone finally bothered making English patches for all the PC-98 games. Comes with a ton of trivia.
It's also the corniest thing ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmWNuuZPRMk

The script can be worth a couple laughs even if it's got nothing to do with future games anymore.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Captain Invictus posted:

I've started on the Touhou music collections again because I'm tired of the 80-some-odd gig folder of music wasting space on my hard drive.

Great then that the first thing I open is a half dozen albums of uncompressed MIDIs that take up a full half a gig. Into the loving trash with that, except two vocal tracks that were so unbelievably bad I had to keep them for Booby Prize Folder Mark II

:allears: I love musical Russian roulette. I kind of love lovely MIDIs too, but I won't ask you to upload them or keep them around in any way shape or form.

Has there been any news regarding Touhou coming out in the west? I remember there being some talk about it a while ago but I didn't really pay attention and I don't really know what's up with it now. I'm assuming no English language Steam/GoG/Whatever release on the horizon?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
DDC is on Playism now, so you can buy it legally here. Still in Japanese, though.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

On that note, does anyone know if there's an offline translation patch for DDC? I run things on a Mac, and thcrap configure's window just freaks the gently caress out whenever I try to run it in Wine.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I have been trying to one cc ufo on normal recently so somebody please give me the pro tips to beat it.

I can usually get to Murasa with full lives and a couple bombs but then I just fall to pieces during her final card and I can't can get ufos that I want on the next two stages because there is too much poo poo on the screen to see their color, much less get them while they are the right colors. The furthest I have gotten is Byakuren's spellcard with the curving lasers that go horizontal across the screen which completely ruins what resources I have left because I can't even see when I am about to get hit to do a preemptive bomb.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

If you're just aiming for the 1cc and don't give a gently caress about score, only get red ufos or green ufos. And use your bombs judiciously! With the red ufo strategy, you get so many freaking extra lives, and each one gets three bombs! If you're eating it without using all your bombs, develop a looser trigger finger for bombing. It's cheap, but it works.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nages posted:

I have been trying to one cc ufo on normal recently so somebody please give me the pro tips to beat it.

I can usually get to Murasa with full lives and a couple bombs but then I just fall to pieces during her final card and I can't can get ufos that I want on the next two stages because there is too much poo poo on the screen to see their color, much less get them while they are the right colors. The furthest I have gotten is Byakuren's spellcard with the curving lasers that go horizontal across the screen which completely ruins what resources I have left because I can't even see when I am about to get hit to do a preemptive bomb.

The trick to Murasa's last spellcard is to keep moving acrosss the full border of the screen, that way you only have to deal with each set of ripples individually, and when you don't have to deal with overlapping ripples it's actually pretty easy.

The thing about stages four and five is that they spawn a ton more UFOs, but it's often wiser to just resist their siren's call because they'll be hidden in patterns that are either very easy to stream or just easy to dodge as long as you stick to the bottom of the screen. On a particularly good run you will probably end with full lives before hitting Murasa, and while full bombs are nice and don't reset down to 2 if you have more, they reset back up to 2 if you have less so you probably don't wanna sacrifice a life only to get only half a life or a bomb.

What I usually do for Byakuren's maelstrom spellcard is that I align myself directly under her and only move vertically. The four stars she shoots aim on your current position, so if you move up or down after they spawn they won't hit you. The only trick is to familiarise with those curving lasers because it's pretty hard to intuit or predict safe spots at first, so I guess you just gotta stick to it and get used to them.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I beat it, thanks for the advice.
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=35060
Got to Shou with full lives and lost three almost immediately without bombing because I am good at video games. The Byakuren fight was won by pretty much bombing through everything and came down to the wire. Next on the list is SA (I can barely get past Yuugi).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

My 2nd favourite genre of touhou remixes are the ones that are Britney Spears songs. Putting in a request for more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKOINZZ5J6k

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

If we're doing music requests I wanna know if there is an arrange of Satori's theme that goes full JRPG Final Boss with it.

vvv :vince: Looks like I have another circle to check out!

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 30, 2014

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Tonfa posted:

If we're doing music requests I wanna know if there is an arrange of Satori's theme that goes full JRPG Final Boss with it.

This is literally a thing that exists, it's literally 3rd eye combined with a JRPG final boss theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ4-TvwCso4

sturgeon
Sep 13, 2011
Surely there are some more kicking rad 3rd Eye remixes.
Maybe?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Of course there is, 3rd Eye is one of the best songs in the series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNb6POcT_1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNla4uk7AYY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CBW5uwPpbA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU