Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Somehow the WaHH chapter always make me think it's the work of an enemy stand, I'm not even sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Good news everyone Remilia and Sakuya visited my city and had a good time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW3Ck1Y6CWk

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

no tour of castro district
no homless guy urinating or defecating
no eating sourdough bread

0/10 not the real frisco would not visit

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

anime is real

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

it took me about five years to realize this, but sa is probably the best game

i can't really think of any flaws the game has, except maybe the obnoxious glitch that locks extra again

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Volt Catfish posted:

sa is the best game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Remember that fanime about Renko and Maribel that was announced ages ago? The guys making it recently released a trailer for the first episode that is supposedly coming out soon.

Some of it looks pretty neat, such as remembering that the Sealing Club exists in the future and also randomly ULiL for whatever reason. Also, the animation seems pretty alright and i'm a sucker for people trying to explore some of the backstories from the games. So I hope it turns out half-decent.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

i can't really think of any flaws the game has, except maybe the obnoxious glitch that locks extra again

Well, there's the weird-rear end shot-types and bombs that hardly anyone likes. Also I personally really don't like the lives system in SA. Getting life pieces by not losing lives during boss phases just means that the more lives you get, the less you need them.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Resource systems that don't make the player care about point items are bad resource systems

(coincidentally sa is a bad game)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nook posted:

Resource systems that don't make the player care about point items are bad resource systems

(coincidentally sa is a bad game)

you're a loving loon buddy get outta here!!!

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 29, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
SA teaches good instincts, ie: always bomb and never die. This is the way to beat any Touhou game, everything else is a distraction.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I started with IN and it instilled terrible habits despite being the easiest

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

SA is the best to me, a person who is bad at video games and thus pays little attention to the intricate mechanics, because it has the best touhous and music.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
PCB is best. It has Bloom Nobly and the Supernatural Border mechanic either lets you bomb for free or take a shot in the face without dying.

SA is pretty good, though.

Stelas posted:

I started with IN and it instilled terrible habits despite being the easiest

Touhou in general has instilled bad habits. Now when I try to play other shoot them ups I try to deathbomb and immediately feel like an idiot.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bloom Nobly is great, but I still think Utsuho is one of the best final bosses.

Of any video game.

Though thinking about it a bit more, yeah, PCB does have better music overall.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
DDC is probably my favorite touhou and the one I recommend first to people.

I really like the risk-reward mechanic of choosing when to pop up to the top of the screen to get the most stuff, and it has the best music and best Seija to boot.

As a side note: SA is good but UFO and TD are both bad, gameplay-wise.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
UFO is the game where you plan out a (completely unnecessary) UFO route for maximum lives/bombs/points, then just constantly restart stage 1 until At the End of Spring is burned into your ears forever because you keep loving up and getting the wrong UFO.

It is Great.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Each Touhou game has a different reward system and it's great.

UFO's system is my least favorite but it feels the most rewarding when you get a resource when you absolutely need it (while losing a resource in the process).

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Is it cool to talk about fangames in this thread? Because Touhou Puppet Dance Performance (the standalone game made by the people who used to do the Touhoumon/Touhou Puppet Play romhacks) now has a full English translation.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Simon The Digger posted:

Is it cool to talk about fangames in this thread?

Always and thank you.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Simon The Digger posted:

Is it cool to talk about fangames in this thread? Because Touhou Puppet Dance Performance (the standalone game made by the people who used to do the Touhoumon/Touhou Puppet Play romhacks) now has a full English translation.

Yeah, I picked this up a few weeks ago. Took quite a bit of fiddling to get it working, but the instructions cited in the link worked in the end.

Not really tried it much yet - but everything I've seen so far is very impressive - much more detailed and indepth that the old Touhoumon hacks. Travelling tomorrow and plan to take it with me as a time killer.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm sad Clownpiece will never get a figure because I probably would have bought it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
just break a regular clown figure and you'll get a... clownpiece

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Just take a poo poo in the bathroom and pull it out of the toilet and you'll have one

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

but enough about your posting...

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Their posting is like Clownpiece?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Do any of the games take place during the Winter? It seems like eternal spring in Gensokyo with the exception of MoF.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

amuayse posted:

Do any of the games take place during the Winter? It seems like eternal spring in Gensokyo with the exception of MoF.

SA appears to be the only one.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

PCB is in the winter, or at least one that has been unnaturally extended.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sakuya even wears a cozy scarf

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010
Subterranean Animism is winter - it's snowing in hell, Reimu and Marisa are wearing winter clothes, the Moriya shrine is all frosty. I really enjoyed the transition from the last stage to the extra stage in that game.

Perfect Cherry Blossom transitions from winter to spring as you play, which is also cool. The two best Touhou games by miles.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

but enough about your posting...

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

winter touhous are extremely my poo poo

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ikaragu posted:

Subterranean Animism is winter - it's snowing in hell, Reimu and Marisa are wearing winter clothes, the Moriya shrine is all frosty. I really enjoyed the transition from the last stage to the extra stage in that game.

So what you're saying is that it'll be a cold day in hell before there's a Touhou game that isn't set in spring?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have no explicit basis for this, but I feel like DDC is set in autumn. The fighting games also generally take place during the summer. Touhou is usually pretty specific about its timelines (you can see in the manga that they're always talking about the seasons or the weather).

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
What's hosed up is that there's a clear passage of time and years have passed since EoSD but the only one that has visibly aged is Akyuu.

Like, it would be easier to explain away if no one really aged but since one character does it throws it all out of whack. Reimu and Marisa should look like they're in their late 20s by now.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
In FS at least Reimu/Marisa kinda feel to me like they're in their mid-20s, which mostly syncs up with Akyuu being explicitly 21 years old. It's mostly just a feeling though, and there's nothing about the characters physically that would really make that apparent - Marisa in particular is really short (shorter than Kosuzu, even, and I'd peg her as being 14-15 or so) so working off heights isn't very helpful.

e: other age facts while I am here: the only other characters who we know the explicit ages of (to my knowledge anyway) are Remilia and Flandre, who are 513 and 508 respectively.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 4, 2015

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Reimu and Marisa will continue to be nebulous teenagers forever, and you're not supposed to think too hard about it. It's like Calvin & Hobbes.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

They turned into ageless youkai already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

e: other age facts while I am here: the only other characters who we know the explicit ages of (to my knowledge anyway) are Remilia and Flandre, who are 513 and 508 respectively.

Miko has an age because she's based off of a historical figure. She was born on February 7, 572 AD. Which makes her 1443 years old.