Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Copycat Zero posted:

All the dialogue is on the wiki (with the exception of the endings, which I would imagine the LPs cut out anyways).

Huh? No, so far the LPs have included the endings.

That's sort of the denouement of any LP. I wouldn't think of any reason why the ending would be excluded except if the poster had a stroke right before the last update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

There's a semi-formal rule among the Japanese Touhou fanbase: post as much gameplay footage as you like, but never post or seek out footage of the endings. So for anyone who knows an ending, you know they earned that poo poo. Or something. This was the reason for all the jokey censored ending footage in the last thread. Someone shout at me if I'm misrepresenting poo poo.

Didn't know that.

Regardless, that rule? Totally ignored on the LP forums. Not even mentioned.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Raenir Salazar posted:

In fairness the songs that wind up in the "Related Videos" tab in Youtube do tend to fit the mold, it takes some luck or digging to find other kinds in my experience, and somewhat depends on the character as well.

Well if all you listen to are mopey emo songs then that's what will be recommended. If you bothered to use the search function, then you find there's a heck of a lot more out there. :smugbert:

EDIT: Oh, and Crino's Perfect Math Class wasn't even one he showed. :smugbert:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 2, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ElMaligno posted:

Posting this and not SONIC SPARK! is bad form dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSnq5YMJ5qE
Dat Macross plus feel :allears:

I know me and some others were talking about what a Touhou/Dynasty Warriors fangame would be like, and that first minute or so really caught that vibe.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

It is now literally canon that Byakuren once rocked so hard it killed a man youkai.

:black101:

I was thinking about this post and it eventually expanded into a Touhou/Tenacious D crossover: "Greatest Remix Tribute"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nages posted:

The game is about a religious conflict so Yuugi really wouldn't make much sense as a character.

When has "sense" ever factored into anything in Touhou? :colbert:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Namtab posted:

Parsee is like the only good post-IN character.

I will fight you.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

If I remember correctly, the real-life person being inserted as Yamame is from Osaka and has a heavy accent. The translater just did the standard Osaka->Louisiana adjustment.

For once I'd like to see an Osakan accent translated in english as a heavy Chicagoan accent in english :sigh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mazed posted:

Didn't even see the Remilia hat at first. That's beautiful.

Wonder if he'll bring any of his beer when he comes over to the US?

I wonder if he'll hate all our beer? :ohdear:

Get him Kentucky Bourbon Barrel. It'll either knock him on his rear end or cause him to draw a Jackalope Touhou dressed like Huck Finn.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jigoku San posted:

:3: Poor Sakuya having to clean all that wreckage up though.

The youtube account had a Reimu vs Remilia up too, Youtube.

I like how they included Remillia's "Charisma Break!" duck in that one :3:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Namtab posted:

Clearly all religions lose to the one true faith of Druidism

That's an odd way to spell Scientology :lron:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I like Miko's cape-it looks like Nobunaga's from the SW series. Maybe she's going to talk in third person? :shobon:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

HellCopter posted:

Stop saying SA, it makes me think there is somehow a Something Awful/Touhou crossover.

Who am I kidding, it probably already exists.

DrSunshine, you know what you must do! :japan:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Aliginge posted:

Google Translate.

I'll be fine not contributing though, I'll just be over here in my non-japanese-reading Touhou fan ghetto. :goleft:

I saw one that translated to 'character borer' and I knew that it had to get a vote.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BlitzBlast posted:

Another Comiket trailer, another batch of Touhou fangames. This time we have:

Still waiting for a "Touhou Mouso" game :colbert:

I mean how hard can programming be anyway?:v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fighting Falken posted:

Another game like IN that lets you make your own teams would be nice, then Master Spark Yin Yang orbs could be a thing all day, every day. A game like that could probably work.

It would likely be impossible to balance, but the sheer amount of banter would make it worth it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

By the way, they posted the full version of the Art Scroll they gave to ZUN at AWA.

http://totaku.deviantart.com/art/AWA-Touhou-Scroll-Project-397181272

Really nice effort. I especially like that even though each touhou is drawn by a different artists, they still look like they're interacting with each other.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

KataraniSword posted:

Eastern religion, actually; it's not just Japan it has meaning to. In fact, Buddhism and Hinduism use both the swastika and the sauwastika/reversed swastika as symbolic for different things, and amazingly, none of them have negative connotations. The idea of it representing solely the Nazi party and/or antisemitism is entirely a creation of the Western world.

Isn't there a doujin where one of the touhous (Reimu?) puts up a reverse swastika, and her shrine is visited by skinheads?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Speaking of crossovers, who was the artist for the Touhouvania game? Does he/she have a pixiv account?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Not really a new 4koma, but I'm sharing it anyway:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1515492?tags=setz

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kheldragar posted:

SA contains my top two characters, my top favourite theme, and a cast where I can like every single character in it. (Bosses that is) Hate playing it though :v:

In terms of music, the Stage 5 theme was so good that it made grinding that level bearable.

Too bad I was too fatigued to finish the game by the time I get past it :negative:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mazed posted:

What, is every Touhou now the worst Touhou?

(but gently caress that 'cause Subterranean Animism still has the highest concentration of awesome characters)

Speaking of, can you tell me what google translates Okuu into?

EDIT: nvm figured it out.

On another subject, can someone summarize the story of Double Dealing Character?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 28, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Reoxygenation posted:

I'm poo poo at the games but SA is the best because music.

Same here.

Though being poo poo at the games has it's bonuses, like never getting into silly slapfights over game mechanics :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Clarste posted:

Conversely, I'd say Touhou is pretty notable for continuing to not have voice acting, even in the fighting games. From what I can tell, voice actors in Japan work for crumbs and need any job they can get.

Funnily enough, The Touhouvania fangame has voice-acting

And your comment about VAs working for crumbs helps explain why its actually decent, at least as far as I can tell. For all I know they may sound like the first Resident Evil game to native Japanese speakers.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Excited to hear that Touhou is getting a western release.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'd be up for a 4kidz version of Touhou, but only if the cartoon is then sold to the Cartoon Network who then release a parody version of that on Adult Swim.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This is a pretty accurate drawing guide:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DrSunshine posted:

No lie, I had to use up every star and two restarts in order to beat IN on easy, the one time I ever managed to beat a Touhou game!

I was able to Icc IN on easy, but that was because I had the cleared version that let me practice all the stages. And I only managed with the Boundary Team (Reimu always kicked my rear end, and Netherworld is just too weird for me).

EDIT: DrSunshine, are you still drawing? I'd like to make a request: Reimu introducing Sanae to Genji, but Sanae is visibly dissapointed because when she heard 'flying turtle' she automatically assumed it was Gamera.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 19, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

leather fedora posted:

Not sure how many people in this thread are going to Reitaisai, but I figured I'd post about this: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=43158918

The guy who made the Touhou Peanuts comics is releasing a compilation (260ish pages), but instead of using a combination of machine translation and his own guesses, he's asked me to edit/translate all of the old strips and most of the new ones, so it's more or less readable even if you don't know Japanese.

And if you're not going but still want it, PM me or something and I can hook you up, provided you have Paypal.

Did he have any problem with copyrights? I know ZUN doesn't give a crap, but I'd imagine Mr. Schulz's estate feels differently.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

err, on a less disturbing topic...

I really like ~xi-on~. Yeah it's basic butt-rock, but I'm into that sort of thing. Whenever I think about my idea for a Touhou-meets-Dynasty Warriors fangame that'll never be made, ~xi-on~ would be the obvious choice to do the soundtrack.

Emotional Skyscraper
Nostalgic Blood of the East
Lunatic Princess
And my favorite: Nuclear Fusion, which reminds me a lot of Lu Bu's theme.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

AdorableStar posted:

How does it feel to be wrong?

No clue, but why don't you tell us?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

leather fedora posted:

I used to keep extended vowels in everything but lately I've been thinking they may not always be necessary (like in 'youkai/yokai'). However, I try to keep them for names, because 'Yuuka' is different from 'Yuka' (although I make exceptions if it would make the pronunciation to confusing for a non-Japanese speaker).

I support Touhou over Toho though, mostly just to give it distinction, as described above.

Well, for the longest time, I thought it was pronounced as a hard-'u', like :stat: and :wal: laughing. Or the King of Town from Homestarrunner.net

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Music request: has anyone ever put together a mashup of the moon 2hu themes with a Star Trek theme?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A Meat posted:

The problem with sports in Gensokyo is that you need to have a sport where it doesn't make a large difference if everybody cheats at it.

So Nascar? :v:

Richard Petty (I think) posted:

"If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying!"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Touhou translations remind me a lot of Sandy Frank films, especially the really bad translation jobs like Gamera v Guiron

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

That doesn't explain the shirtless guy.

Does it?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

WeeabooJudas posted:

She's a blond, cocky western magician who lies and cheats both man and demon.

Insert relevant Monty Python & The Holy Grail quote here :witch:

As for shaman Reimu, maybe it's a joke that she's so bad at her job that casual observers would miss that she's supposed to be a miko :downs:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

WarpedNaba posted:

Satori harbours weapons of mass destruction with very poor control standards

Kanako meanwhile has violated numerous anti-proliferation treaties.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is Arucharm still making peanuts crossover comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You know what the world needs? A Touhou/X-COM game.