Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

2. No Yukurri, they are downright creepy.

Yukurris own, gently caress the haters.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder what he's going to say? Up until now, hasn't he regarded the entire outside world as merely an amusing novelty?

"Please pay for my games", guessing by how most touhou fans operate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

So she has the outward trappings of a religion but no real spirituality. Zun's parable for real life in Japan, I assume?

Once I asked a Japanese friend who they pray to when they pray at shrines at New Year's and such. She said "I dunno...anyone is okay, I guess?"

edit: Shinto wasn't very unified at the time Gensokyo was closed away, either. It was codified and centralized and made into the state religion starting in the Meiji period. Before then it was not only all over the place but also mixed with Buddhism and stuff.

It's more like Reimu respects the gods, but unlike Sanae she doesn't spend all her time on it. It's not that she's not spiritual, it's more that she kinda takes the gods for granted.

Reimu is the deepest character, she takes some time to really get.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Faith in HER, or in the god she represents but never tells anyone about? That's what I don't understand. Asking people to just have faith in her (and give her donations) isn't much of a religion.

edit: or is that part of Zun's take on modern religion too?

She wants them to
a.) Have faith in the Shinto religion, which is one of many gods. Just because Reimu's shrine has a specific god doesn't mean Reimu specifically wants them to worship her god.
b.) Use her shrine as opposed to Sanae's, in order to increase the level of donations.

So yeah, there is an element of self interest, but to suggest that Reimu isn't spiritual is wrong.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ah, it makes sense when you put it that way.
As for a), my point is that at the time that Gensokyo was closed away, Shinto wasn't really a thing yet, every shrine or group of shrines was in it for themselves, based on the gods that were enshrined there. It's really not so different now either, the shrines in the town I lived in were mostly to Hachiman, for example. That's why it's strange if she's like "whatever's good as long as it's Shinto (but not Moriya)".

Gensokyo has modern things come over all the time, why can't it have modern shinto?

DrSunshine posted:

:stare:

Man, using the concepts "Deepest character" and "Touhou" in the same context just gives me the most massive case of cognitive dissonance. -- are you saying this unironically?
No
:thejoke:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

One of my favorite characters is Parsee Mizuhashi.

You probably haven't heard of her; she's pretty underground.

Parsee is like the only good post-IN character.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

/\/\/\One of many reasons Reimu owns

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, in the translation. I never agreed with translating western Japanese dialects into southern American dialects. The cultural analogy just doesn't work out at all.

I don't know, kinda makes sense to translate linguistic nuances from one language to another in a way that's culturally appropriate and maintains the feel of the character.

E: Although I'll admit I'm not a pro linguist or whatever

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 15, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But like most of those things he says are primarily based on characterisation as opposed to voice. Having Reimu be a white lightning chugging chav is changing Reimu entirely to make her into a Brit so you can do your own thing with her, whereas giving a western translation of a Touhou speaking an Osakan accent a US Southern accent is just emphasising the fact that she's speaking the same language as everyone else, albeit with a different accent. It's exactly the same as if you gave Reimilia an upper class accent, or had Cirno played by a literal 5 year old.

Basically one is a valid technique to use to translate something into one language to another (although making Osaka = Southern is kinda cliché, theres a reason it's used), while maintaining the "feel" of the original, and the other is just you making your own touhou stuff.

Geordie and Scouse, East Coast USA and West Coast USA, Tokyo japanese and Osakan japanese are just different accents, and nothing more.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I'm saying is that dialects are linked into different cultures/social groups whether you want them to or not, so why not either think about them carefully and what they mean, or have some fun with it, instead of just going with the cliches over and over again?

Besides, by "speaking the same language as everyone else", you really mean American English, right?

No, I mean Japanese in the case of the original, or English in the case of a translation. Someone speaking in an Osakan dialect in a Japanese thing is still speaking the same language (Japanese) as everyone else, but in a different way It's not like the equivalent of me speaking British English and my mate speaking French. Same in a US setting with Northern/Southen dialect. Same in British English with a Scottish/English dialect. Just because Osakan mannerism don't actually parse well with Southern US mannerisms what with the two groups being from different countries and all doesn't make it a valid translation technique. It's a tool to get the point across that these people are from different parts of the same country.

So yeah, quite frankly you're right in that they go with the same cliche over and over again, but the reason for that is that it is cliche. If you have every character speaking in one kind of accent and then a clearly different, but still recognisable as being from that country, accent comes along then you know what that means. With the US being the primary source of translations into English it's only natural that the Southern accent be used.

Saying "but why use a Southern US accent when the person what from Osaka that doesn't parse" is kinda dumb when you have a thing where people take bento boxes to school and go to arcades unironically. If you really want to go the whole hog with making things match you may as well start calling onigiri "doughnuts".

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sorry, I'm really not following your logic at all. When did I say anything about French, or about translating to English from different countries, or anything like that? And what does it have to do with bento boxes or whatever? Maybe it's just too early in the morning for me, I dunno...

Then what the hell did you mean by

Samurai Sanders posted:

Besides, by "speaking the same language as everyone else", you really mean American English, right?

because that's the point I was primarily arguing against.

Unless you're implying I speak American English, in which case look this way (and up a bit)
<-------

And the rest of my point was a continuing argument against your original point that translating Osakan japanese into Southern US wasn't culturally appropriate, which is where the bit about the bento boxes came from, for example. You went from originally saying "I don't get it" and then when told about the reason behind the cliché were all like "Man, why can't they just have more fun instead of sticking to cliché", which I also answered just now.

Now let's just talk about how much Imperishable Night owns (because it's literally my fave touhou game)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Do you know what the best thing is, Sanders? If you play Imperishable Night enough, you can play Stage 4A with Solo Reimu. That's how awesome the game is. In fact, I will make a replay JUST FOR YOU to prove this point.

I think you got him mixed with me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sorry, I just see Reimu and assume it's for me all the time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Namtab, your avatar reminded me of something. There's a long MMD series going on right now called Red Alert, which I believe is not translated right now, but it included this in the latest episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_931rN1m1o

drat Soviet Nazi fairies.

If it's not translated I don't understand it. Please translate it for me tia.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

You need me to translate a video of a fairy army marching over Gensokyo?

OK I actually watched the video and it was boring, I don't get the joke it's just touhous and russian music what's the deal?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

New Finnish 4-koma, fully translated - http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1398795?pool_id=1754

In which Ichirin brings an onion ring to her fight with Marisa in HM.

Thanks, both for your services as a human RSS feed, and for telling me the punchline before I even read the comic. Saved me a lot of time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

I'll concede the point about the human RSS feed, but that's just the premise for the comic and not the punchline. It's like saying "One Piece is about a rubber-man sailing the oceans with his crew" or "Attack on Titan is about man-eating titans attacking the last bastion of humanity".

That said, I appreciate that such posts have annoyed you and others in the thread and will stop posting them from now.

Yeah, the premise of a comic is the setup, what the comic is about, in this case it's "Ichirin can't find her gold ring to go and fight Marisa", what you posted was the punchline "so she brings an onion ring instead".

In making a post about a specific 4 panel comic, you never want to be posting anything past the first two panels.

To further clarify, take this 4 panel K-ON comic (the one on the right). The premise here is that "The girls are cleaning the clubroom", and the punchline is "While cleaning, they find a doofy lookin' frog statue that belongs to Yui".

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I sure hope ZUN-sama enjoys gaijin beer~

The fucker can drink what he's given and be grateful.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

What's Reimu doing in what's otherwise a collection of second-to-last bosses?

Because reimu is that one character that's really amazing.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clearly all religions lose to the one true faith of Druidism

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've worked it out from the silhouette guys.

I'm p.sure the new touhou is a girl

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm actually ZUN irl. The new character will live in Gensokyo. Don't tell anyone.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

I know I'm simply ruining the joke, but quite a lot of characters don't live in Gensokyo proper. Usually other dimensions or afterlives. Yuyuko, Eiki, Tenshi, Miko... Just counting final bosses those are actually 1/2. Only 50% of Windows Era final bosses live in Gensokyo.

So, uh... that's not actually a safe bet to make.

Those dimensions themselves are within Gensokyo. QED

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

Touhou doesn't really have anything objectionable that a censor would need to change, does it? Well, I guess there's the whole afterlife/religion thing which is omnipresent, but it seems simple enough to just never mention it at all. Heck, we even had someone in this thread who figured all that was just part of Gensokyo with no deeper meaning.

Clarste posted:

Maybe I'm just insane, but I think about this stuff a lot. I mean, Touhou. I guess you could say I overanalyze it as a hobby.
I'd rather be the first thing than the second though.

quote:

Dub names for touhou characters

Guys what are we gonna call alice????

Namtab fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 30, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But how do I pronounce Reimu???

Reim?
Ray-moo?
Ree-moé?

Please help.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The real answer is that none of this "true translation" stuff matters in a game series about shooting each other with beautiful bullets.

Whether it's Flandre, Flandoll, or Flanrananamfkjahnlka it doesn't change the fact that she's Reimilia's little sister and the EX boss in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, which is literally all of the plot about her that actually matters.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

leather fedora posted:

Considering how the EoSD crew is far and away the most popular group of characters in the fandom, it kind of matters a bit imo

Only if you care about the fandom.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ranpire posted:

*exaggerated for comic effect. They probably did something right somewhere. Probably. Also sorry for driving the thread into this derail.

Please bear in mind the last discussion in this thread was "what would touhou characters be called in English", and this "derail" seems like a breath of fresh air.

Plus this is legit interesting.

[/postingaboutposting]

Namtab fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 6, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

While y'all talk about the dying doujin scene or whatever I just wanted to let everyone know that this VN EoSD for busy people is literally changing my life as we speak.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 8, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sakuya!?

Way to get back to basics with this outdated third character I guess.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mima confirmed?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nages posted:

Bosses for th14 confirmed:
Stage 1: Youmu
Stage 2: Sakuya
Stage 3: Sanae
Stage 4: Marisa
Stage 5: Reimu
Stage 6: Mima
Ex Stage: Mima again

EX Stage is Runia, you moron

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Hey Clarste you know what I would appreciate? If you told us when you've finished translating a new chapter. As it is, I only check the Touhou Wiki every other week or so to see if there's something new.

Of course, please include some sort of description of the premise so we don't yell at you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

Also interesting that Reimu basically tried to kill everyone on the moon by throwing kegare ("impurity") at it.

Sometimes you've gotta break the rules in order to stand up for what you believe in.
Reimu's a hero :japan:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

That poll reminded me of a question I want to ask - Why exactly does Septette for the Dead Princess win the music polls so consistently? It's a nice song and all but I wouldn't even rate it in ZUN's top 5 of final boss music, let alone the entire series.

MY NOSTALGIA
:goonsay:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I did what all Real Touhou Fans® should do and voted for Reimu.

Good man.

Revalis Enai posted:

Best Touhou:Rumia
Also acceptable.

FYI I voted Reimu, Parsee, Rumia.

Septette is a p.sweet song fuelled by nostalgia. Green Eyed Jealousy and Nazrin's theme also own.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah all she can do in the past is look. She can't stop anything from happening.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arujei posted:

When has anything in canon stopped interesting ideas? Do it!

Touhou canon is an absolute reality, I will not accept any fanworks that go against ZUN's grand vision.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

So it seems that although she herself cannot travel back into the past to change it, she can summon stuff from the past and the future into the present? Instead of you going to the past, you bring the past to you? What if she tried summoning herself?

She apparantly can affect the past to "return things to where they should be" according to the touhou wiki, obviously the most practical and most seen application for this is with her knives.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Well obviously the games are the supplemental material now.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Same in the UK, I think I remember using one for like the first two years of secondary school too I guess, but recorders aren't a grown-up's instrument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nothing feels better than Reimu supremacy.