Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

a cartoon duck posted:

But anyway, apparently ZUN's afterword in one of the artbooks talks about how LPs, or whatever the closest Japanese equivalent was at the time, is the death of gamer culture or something. I know Zorak made a post about that in Rising Grandpa's old thread, but I don't got archives so I can't dig it up right now.
There was a recent interview where he spoke more favorably on such videos, but then again, it was Nicovideo running the interview so I guess he wanted to be a little more positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Drama and overcoming it is a natural part of life and if you can't accept it then there is something wrong with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAsmuVA5ihc

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
If you have a JP iTunes account (which you can set up with a JP iTunes gift card) you can download from iTunes or can buy through DLSite which has their own system.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

KataraniSword posted:

Iceman in MvC3
what

But to be on topic, this is pretty cool, but it seems odd to have Rinnosuke there when he would much rather be in his store and not have Akyu or Kosuzu when they live in the village.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I'd say the markup is more harmful than the shipping, unless they only offer EMS regardless of size/weight.

I can buy and ship a standard Touhou game to someone for around $30 USD.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Also, dude went to Germany for his honeymoon.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Casull posted:

Marisa becomes Melissa and Reimu becomes Reye Hackray.

(I don't know how to localize Kirisame.)
Kirisame literally means "drizzle"

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Well, Cirno's theme song title has been fixed, so I don't see why a few other things about that game can't be, considering how big that song has gotten thanks to Cirno's Perfect Math Class.

Also it should be "Was She U.N. Owen?" imo

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Namtab posted:

The real answer is that none of this "true translation" stuff matters in a game series about shooting each other with beautiful bullets.

Whether it's Flandre, Flandoll, or Flanrananamfkjahnlka it doesn't change the fact that she's Reimilia's little sister and the EX boss in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, which is literally all of the plot about her that actually matters.
Considering how the EoSD crew is far and away the most popular group of characters in the fandom, it kind of matters a bit imo

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Namtab posted:

Only if you care about the fandom.
You're right, I don't care about you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I have always been a strong proponent of Hepburn romanization (which gives KomeiJI and ReiuJI instead of ZI), even if ZUN doesn't always use it, simply because it lets people who are unfamiliar with Japanese at have a better chance at pronouncing it correctly.

BlitzBlast posted:

who came up with "Bitch, get out of the way!"? Because they are literally the worst.
Fixed that typo there, although it isn't as bad as that terrible misinterpretation of Remilia's "ふん" when you encounter Mystia.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Ranpire posted:

The encryption in particular is really absurd and totally unnecessary, to the point where we think it actually is targeted at us meddling fans. For anyone who does want to work on it, it would probably be easier and better advised to actually contact Tasofro and try to work with them than to try chopping into it independently. I'm contemplating doing that myself, but we'll see. Hopefully ZUN's visit to America can establish better guidelines going forward.
Short of Tasofro selling this game online, this seems wholly unlikely. But yes, I do agree that ZUN's visit to the States could do a lot in bringing legit accessibility to the series outside of Japan.

ElMaligno posted:

this absolutely loving stupid conversation about translation, localization and the proper pronunciation
wow ok sorry for trying

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
There's already speculation that the boss in one of the screenshots is Orin, but there's just too much up in the air.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
The English lyrics are actually relatively well-done in that Mystia song. The singer could stand some more practice but it's still a lot better than, say, anything by Sound Holic's 709sec.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Well, well, well. Look what the tiger dragged in: http://www.tasofro.net/touhou135/index.html

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
"Gaijin 4koma" is NOT a "dumb" old meme. :colbert:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Well, figures that even in Gensokyo there is the Dawkins approach practiced by the gooniest race of youkai.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
(Well, that's what I get for being too vague, I guess.)

All I had was Yoshi's Safari but that was interesting enough.

I've heard theories of Tenshi or Kasen being playable characters, given their religious backgrounds.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Well, no sense in beating around the bush.

The Imaginary Personality - Koishi Komeiji

She couldn't remember a thing.
Before she knew it, she had joined the crowd.
No one noticed her presence.
She lived her life day in and day out without any dreams or hopes.
But these unusual events caused her to throw down the gauntlet,
creating just a tiny change in her daily life.

Special Skill: Super Reflexes
When the command for heavy melee attacks, heavy projectile attacks and special moves are entered, the move is "set" and will activate will come out automatically when certain conditions are fulfilled such as enemy placement or passage of time. One of each of the three attacks can be set at a time, and an icon will indicate when a move is prepared.

Last Word: Brambly Rose Garden
Pulls the opponent into a storm of rose danmaku.
The roses are unblockable and the suction of the attack
will slowly draw them in.
If performed within a certain distance,
it will forcefully submerge enemies in a sea of roses.

By the way, Tasofro's Twitter account said she is the last (non-boss) character.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Volt Catfish posted:

What a mess of a roster. What happened to the theme, ZUN?
Both Byakuren and Miko showed interest in Koishi in the latest book, so it isn't as nearly out-of-left-field as it seems.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
For whatever reason Miko's attitude never really stood out for me until this game.

I guess it's the cape.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Oh man, I knew she laughed but I never caught the (super-short) first and the third stages of her three-stage laugh.

Also Mystia has the power to make her fingers meld together

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
While we are talking about reading material, I highly suggest reading Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red on the wiki again if you haven't recently. I went back and fixed a lot of errors (including a bunch I was responsible for) and the ZUN interview at the end is kind of neat since you find out what ZUN considers important video game design.

also please read bkub

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Makes me glad no one else got to the Game Center Touhou video before I was able to get it out.

Too bad no one really watched it. :smith:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Still the only subs up, so yes.

I really wish I could've authenticated my account so I wasn't limited to 15 minute videos. Part 2 doesn't even have a third of part 1's views, and I don't know what the deal is. Maybe people just don't like yukkuri voices.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I imagine Summer Comiket or so.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
How about some South American folk-style arrangements?

http://zephyr.halfmoon.jp/jersey/TPCH/

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 21, 2013

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
They're all over the place in Japan since they make everyone play it in elementary school, so understandably they are a little biased.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Relambrien posted:

And now I'm thinking about French Touhous too.
So, the Scarlet Sisters?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I just want the next part of that Valkyrie Profile-ish game to come out already.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

HGH posted:

Didn't that turn out to be a disaster? Kinda fitting considering the name.
It wasn't as smooth as the real VP, naturally. If you had the patience to fiddle with it, it was pretty fun. Also, it still isn't nearly as hard as the real VP (yet).

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Prismrivers + Mystia/Kyouka

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
EX Boss owns so much.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Gamma Nerd posted:

I can't find any touhou IDM or touhou shoegaze or touhou powernoise, these remixers need to get on that poo poo.
I am about 40% sure there was a group selling an album of at least one of those genres at the last Comiket.

If you're going to link jazz, at least link stuff done with real instruments by groups like Swing Holic, Tokyo Active NEETs, Accord on Codes, flap+frog, Twitter Touhou-bu...

But I'm just going to link this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79flq3Db8TY

and then this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLhSq8nhxY

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

waddler posted:

AWA starts Friday, though they refuse to post their schedule online. No idea when his panel is, or what the announcement will be, if any.
It's been up for like a week at least: http://schedule.awa-con.com/

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
IT BEGINS

https://twitter.com/korindo/status/383603795168481280

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I think moot and ZUN know each other to some degree, since pictures of them drinking together in Japan showed up on their Twitter accounts last year or so.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Hokuto posted:

(Commenters: "Did they ask about Saccharin?!")
Satsuki Rin but I don't know why they used half-space katakana for her name.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised nobody brought some quality beers as a gift or anything.
I'm sure everyone wanted to, but AWA is pretty strict against giving gifts directly to guests. There was that mural of all the Touhou characters made into a scroll that was going to be given to ZUN, but a staff member had to make the actual presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Someone tweeted that he was in talks about getting the series on Steam, apparently.