Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Bremen posted:

Didn't they say that women are more likely to survive the operation, and that's the reason they actually bring women on such a dangerous assignment? The fact that it was said so matter of factly really surprised me.

I don't know if I'd call that sexism on the part of the text or the author though. The simple fact of the matter is that many countries on Earth still don't allow women to fight in frontline combat roles in their militaries, so stating there's a reason for that to not be the case here probably qualifies as just a handwave rather than some kind of comment. Granted, this is 600 years in the future, and not a formal military expedition, and funded by the United Nations rather than any one country, but society and technology doesn't seem to have changed all that much. I don't think noting that the main reason for gender equality on this dangerous combat mission which stogy, conservative higher ups probably would have preferred to leave to THE MEN was necessity rather than some kind of societal enlightenment we go through in the future is sexism.

AnonSpore posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that with the exception of Michelle, no woman has done anything worthwhile. Even in the badass Russian team, the woman was one of the only two casualties. There's also the fact that (untranslated content spoiler) Isabella, the tough woman on Team Germany, also goes down in pretty much the exact same way that the Russian woman does, and also the bit where (also untranslated content spoiler) it's revealed that his child doesn't have a mosaic organ, since it's another man's baby.

There is a second woman on the Russian team, and she is doing just fine. She kicked plenty of rear end in that sequence with her sweet scorpion ponytail. In the earlier chapters, the South African woman was using her Roach Mind Control to great effect as well. Granted, she was a villain, and a megalomaniac with delusions of conquest, but she was still competent. The First Officer of Bugs 2, despite her gruesome and pointless death, was one of the last people standing and did have a position of authority being second in command and all. Considering how most of the men seem to die just as pointlessly and contribute just as little, I wouldn't say there was an unfair or biased degree of worthlessness on the female side.

As for the cheating wife thing, I can't really comment since I can't read japanese, but I feel like there's probably more to that situation than is immediately apparent. But I could be wrong, I dunno.

I guess it all comes down to opinion in the end. But I just don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that with the exception of Michelle, no woman has done anything worthwhile. Even in the badass Russian team, the woman was one of the only two casualties. There's also the fact that (untranslated content spoiler) Isabella, the tough woman on Team Germany, also goes down in pretty much the exact same way that the Russian woman does, and also the bit where (also untranslated content spoiler) it's revealed that his child doesn't have a mosaic organ, since it's another man's baby.

I don't know if I quire agree that it's sexist per se, since men go out as easily as women do in this series, but I do see how you could get that impression very easily.

There's this, the fact that the bios tend to go "tragedy tragedy tragedy THIS IS HER TIT SIZE," and the fact women in this series tend to act more... infantile I suppose would be the word, than the men do. Michelle is pretty much the exception, any other woman either attempts to do something and is smashed immediately, or does absolutely gently caress all. I'll admit it's considerably more arguable than the racism aspect (though really that isn't saying much), but it's definitely coming across that way to me.

In the end, it's just the dumbest of dumb action manga and not really worth getting worked up over, so whatever.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Man, they really threw a curve ball with Shiela. Plus, that's not going to be the most fun death. Sternum, windpipe and spine all gone completely.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Rodyle posted:

There's this, the fact that the bios tend to go "tragedy tragedy tragedy THIS IS HER TIT SIZE,"
Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny how in the Bugs 2 crew the only women whose backstories we got related to things like prostitution and female circumcision. It was edgy and seinen as gently caress.

I'll grant that the women in Bugs 3 seem to be better off generally.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

Maybe we'll get some one with the dung beetle as the base. That person will win the war by playing Katamari with the cockroaches.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Oh Snapalope posted:

Maybe we'll get some one with the dung beetle as the base. That person will win the war by playing Katamari with the cockroaches.

One of those Russians had antennae a lot like that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I personally would love a GrizzlyBearMan.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If plants are valid sources of powers then protozoans should count too. Where is AmoebaMan?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bumping this thread to say that volume five is up over at http://manga.displaynone.us

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be honest, I get this feeling of "why bother" from Terra ForMars. They just keep introducing characters, hyping them up and then letting them get killed off or rendering their power ineffective in one fell swoop just to show how powerful the cockroaches are. Bugs #2 had "awesome army dude with combat experience with the power of flamethrower hands" and he gets chumped just to shows the readers how strong the roaches are. And then when it looks like they have a chance, we're treated to new roaches, who are impervious to former tactics and better. And that's just the first arc, since the second arc has roaches with powers from the Bugs #2.

The manga might throw around "don't look down on humans" and "heroic willpower" all around the place, but it just doesn't reach me. Whenever the narrative talks about a new character's powers, I'm not thinking "holy poo poo that's awesome" but rather "oh, I guess roaches will be able to evolve past that soon enough" and "welp, guess he/she is gonna die". The powers are useful enough for taking out your run-of-the-mill basic cockroach but can't do jack poo poo against the evolved ones. It takes some loving fantastic writing to be able to talk about heroic resolve and instill in a reader the exact opposite.

Even the captains get chumped, for all their supposed strength. I just don't see how humans are supposed to have a chance unless the manga gets into a DBZ-style power-up fest. Roaches already have the powers from Bugs #2, and I can't help but think they're going to have access to powers from Bugs #3 down the line. What happens then? Another timeskip so humanity can try to recoup? Another miscalculation, repeat?

It doesn't come off as an author's willingness to kill of characters to interject harsh reality, but rather an attempt to appear edgy and dark. It's as if you got a teenager to write a manga and gave him free reign - sorta like Axe Cop but nowhere nearly as good.

It's a vicious circle. Characters are killed off so frequently before I can connect with them so I stop giving a poo poo, and because of that when the few survivors are given depth I don't give a poo poo because they're going to be killed off anyways. Which is sad, cause I want to like the Russians, but it feels like they've set themselves up for death simply by being the most competent squad and God knows we can't have that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand I'm pretty sure there's a shark dude.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Also a spider man and a hawk bird girl.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dickeye posted:

On the other hand I'm pretty sure there's a shark dude.

Sorry to disappoint you. He's actually an orca dude.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AnonSpore posted:

Sorry to disappoint you. He's actually an orca dude.

This is almost as cool, but still disappointing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I just wanna say that I don't actually like this manga, but I have to give the artist props for the roaches design. They are creepy as gently caress, and even after 30 odd chapters they're still as disturbing to look at as when they were introduced.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Only two chapters into the latest volume but there's already so much crap that has me laughing way too hard. The new insect that gets two pages of introduction and then immediately dies, the car full of roaches just rolling up to the fight, Adolf giving roaches the finger as he electrocutes them. This is too good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm really hoping that the reason the roaches keep saying "johji johji" is because their leader is named George.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

To be honest, I get this feeling of "why bother" from Terra ForMars. They just keep introducing characters, hyping them up and then letting them get killed off or rendering their power ineffective in one fell swoop just to show how powerful the cockroaches are. Bugs #2 had "awesome army dude with combat experience with the power of flamethrower hands" and he gets chumped just to shows the readers how strong the roaches are. And then when it looks like they have a chance, we're treated to new roaches, who are impervious to former tactics and better. And that's just the first arc, since the second arc has roaches with powers from the Bugs #2.

You're taking giant-space-humanoid-roaches vs animal-powered-humans way too seriously. Whomever wins is not the most powerful or cunning or whatever, it is just whomever the author felt like they would win. The series is full of little reminders of how ridiculous everything is, from the arachno-whatever mkII, Adolf and Eva's little (German) love story, and shout-outs to DBZ. All in the latest volume. It's dumb as gently caress, but it is aware of it and having fun.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm really hoping that the reason the roaches keep saying "johji johji" is because their leader is named George.

See? This is the correct perspective to enjoy this poo poo. For all we know this could actually be right!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I'm aware that I'm taking it far too seriously.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

trucutru posted:

Adolf and Eva's little (German) love story,
Oh god I didn't even notice. :gonk:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This comic is utter garbage with no redeeming qualities. Fortunately the author agrees with me and just has gun drawing silk worm/cockroach hybrids fighting bird ladies with sword backpacks.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Dickeye posted:

This comic is utter garbage with no redeeming qualities.

adtrw.txt

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nah.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dickeye posted:

This comic is utter garbage with no redeeming qualities. Fortunately the author agrees with me and just has gun drawing silk worm/cockroach hybrids fighting bird ladies with sword backpacks.

That sounds like a redeeming quality to me.

adrammalech
Jul 22, 2012
I keep reading this even though they're repeatedly coming back to that same retarded spot in between hard science fiction (all the spergy stuff about insects and space flight) and raw idiocy (if they have all that why didn't they just use robots or drones or nukes or something?). They might have had a decent sci-fi story despite all that, if they didn't waste three-thirds of their pages explaining the AMAZING super abilities of some character that's promptly beheaded as soon as the explanation is finished.

I'm still waiting for a few creatures to be introduced... like the water-bear man who can survive even a nuclear explosion in the face, the mantis shrimp man who can see absolutely everything inside thirty miles and can chop in half a dozen roaches at Mach 15, or the six-hundred-year-old Maine lobster man, or the army of five thousand untrained and disposable rainforest-frog men that release horrible death poison that kills everything in a half-mile radius when they die.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Volume 6 :getin:

Science-fact: Giant Hornets are badass.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

adrammalech posted:

the mantis shrimp man who can see absolutely everything inside thirty miles and can chop in half a dozen roaches at Mach 15

You sure won't get disappointed! He got a bit roughed up but GODDAMN THAT LAST PUNCH

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'M A JAPANESE GIANT HORNET.

I loving love this comic.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Dickeye posted:

I'M A JAPANESE GIANT HORNET.

I loving love this comic.

Which begs the question... why didn't they just make everyone giant hornets and send them off?

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Oh man I got so pumped when team Japanamerica got reunited. It wasn't as good as GIANT HORNET, but close enough.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
Terra ForMars: I'm the only one who can handle your balls.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dazoner posted:

Which begs the question... why didn't they just make everyone giant hornets and send them off?

The type of animal you can turn into is random, they screen potential bugkillers to see what they're compatible with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Holy poo poo, a Japanese comic that actually acknowledges that the whole idea that "more muscle mass makes you slower" is total bullshit.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

dazoner posted:

"compatibility", dude. It's mentioned a couple of times, whatever that means.

KoB
May 1, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

"compatibility", dude. It's mentioned a couple of times, whatever that means.

They even mentioned it like 3 times in the last batch of chapters, whats not to understand at this point :psyduck:.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KoB posted:

They even mentioned it like 3 times in the last batch of chapters, whats not to understand at this point :psyduck:.

Wait, are we supposed to understand *anything* in this manga? drat, I am reading it wrong.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

trucutru posted:

Wait, are we supposed to understand *anything* in this manga? drat, I am reading it wrong.

They seemed to do a pretty good job of explaining it. Generally, there aren't that many things they can successfully plug in to people and it varies from person to person. Some people have more than one thing they MIGHT work with, maybe.

It just happens that the Japanese Giant Hornet really IS badass.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:siren: Seventh Volume is up! :siren:

Oooh poo poo now things will get to human x human x roaches!

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Pretty big vol 7 chapter 60 spoilers

loving russians are the kings of fake outs. I spent like a good half minute just staring at my monitor cuz I just could not believe that they killed giant asian hornet man. Then the next few pages happened. Ughhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This was basically the gently caress You China volume

• Locked thread