Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm pretty convinced that this was done on purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ICQOX70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Hey guys, the Terra ForMars anime started on Crunchyroll this week. Airs fridays at 12:30 eastern, I think. It's the series, so it's launching directly into Annex 1.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I haven't actually sat down and watched the episode yet, but from what I've seen elsewhere, it's a very censored version. Even more censored than Jojo's Bizarre Adventures. If this is true, I am disappointed.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Daler Mehndi posted:

I haven't actually sat down and watched the episode yet, but from what I've seen elsewhere, it's a very censored version. Even more censored than Jojo's Bizarre Adventures. If this is true, I am disappointed.

The version on Crunchyroll is pretty censored. Akari's fight with the bear was pretty much nothing but a black screen in the last half of the fight. Nevertheless, the first episode was pretty good, though most of the backstory isn't really touched on. So unless you've read the manga or seen the first OVA, some things about the plot won't make much sense.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
as it stands there's no reason to watch when it's that censored. just wait for the blurays.

OVAs have a chance of being b-movie fun.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah I agree. Going in blind from the TV series is like starting on Dragonball Z right when the Cell arc starts.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Gah, it was bad. Worse than even some of Tokyo Ghoul's fights. At least make the blood white or invert the colors or something. Giant black bars across the screen just looks horrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

amuayse posted:

Gah, it was bad. Worse than even some of Tokyo Ghoul's fights. At least make the blood white or invert the colors or something. Giant black bars across the screen just looks horrible.

Yeah, but they're easier to remove for the BD release, aka where the actual money is.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
The problem with me liking this anime is the fact that I always feel there is a severe racial undertone and that everything is there "because reasons of them existing". I could be wrong but; man everything feels off in this anime.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I remember reading the manga and giving up because while some of the fights were cool, I just could not get over how much it felt like Gantz by way of A. Wyatt Man.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Except its better than Gantz because it's at least entertaining reading about the Brazilian Farting Beetle and its toxic farts that when scaled up to human level are like pooping out sarin nerve gas. Gantz is poo poo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I read the first 3 volumes or something of this in a binge and then when there was no more to read it was like a spell was broken and I didn't feel any need to read anymore when more came out.

I'm still reading Gate, Thus the JSDF Fought there though :smithicide:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jesus Christ episode 3 was bad. The action scenes were confusion and barely animated, while the non-action scenes were painfully slow and boring.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This show seems like it has potential to be a fun ride, but holy poo poo the censorship makes it completely unwatchable in the fights, and anything that isn't a fight is just terrible.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The manga is better anyways, you can absorb the beauty of the stupid gore while glossing over what the author pretends is a plot. Plus the cockroaches look waaaaay better cause of the contrast in colouring.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I might just go that route, it seems like a fun little story.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm finding this anime frustrating. I may check out the manga simply because I know I'll get some answers to my questions. What the gently caress did they do to their bodies in that operation? We know they can breath on Mars but that was pretty-much a given from the get go.

We're on episode 3 and none of the basic questions have been answered. How the freaking bug-guys got into the space ship in the first place isn't really answered either -- I got the impression it was a setup and they were placed their prior to take-off but that leaves a lot of unanswered questions too --

They keep focusing on our Japanese hero guy but he doesn't do anything. Gah. In the first episode he turns into this semi-monster and defeats the bear in the cage fight. Since then, nothing. What's going on?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I might just go that route, it seems like a fun little story.

It's garbo. You need to know it's garbo. It's poo poo. That said, it's immensely enjoyable poo poo.

Dan7el posted:

I'm finding this anime frustrating. I may check out the manga simply because I know I'll get some answers to my questions. What the gently caress did they do to their bodies in that operation? We know they can breath on Mars but that was pretty-much a given from the get go.

We're on episode 3 and none of the basic questions have been answered. How the freaking bug-guys got into the space ship in the first place isn't really answered either -- I got the impression it was a setup and they were placed their prior to take-off but that leaves a lot of unanswered questions too --

They keep focusing on our Japanese hero guy but he doesn't do anything. Gah. In the first episode he turns into this semi-monster and defeats the bear in the cage fight. Since then, nothing. What's going on?

Some of this stuff is covered in the OVA. They can breathe on Mars because of the terraforming algae and poo poo. The operation just gave them animal powers. Also the current series doesn't focus as narrowly on one or two people, it's about groups struggling against each other, but the Japanese guy and one other character definitely have major plot significance beyond that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, I'm guessing a lot of the important plot info is covered in the OVA. No idea why they didn't just make it a pre-air special or something, because without it there's so much going on in these last two episodes that make no sense to first time viewers/non-readers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a quick recap: They sent algae and cockroaches to Mars, the algae produced O2 and the roaches produced ???? and they sent up a crew to go check on poo poo and it turned out the cockroaches had mutated and they killed that crew so they sent another one but with bug powers and that crew got murdered too and now this is the third time they're trying it, also the fat dude on the UN council thing was on the second crew to go up, same with hornetcommander guy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The cockroaches were sent because of their black bodies would absorb the rays of sun trapping more heat into the planet or something really dumb like that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dan7el posted:

We're on episode 3 and none of the basic questions have been answered. How the freaking bug-guys got into the space ship in the first place isn't really answered either

It's easy to miss if you don't know what, but it is stated in show that they know where to attack because they are probably the same ones that came back with the second mission.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

Here's a quick recap: They sent algae and cockroaches to Mars, the algae produced O2 and the roaches produced ???? and they sent up a crew to go check on poo poo and it turned out the cockroaches had mutated and they killed that crew so they sent another one but with bug powers and that crew got murdered too and now this is the third time they're trying it, also the fat dude on the UN council thing was on the second crew to go up, same with hornetcommander guy.

How the gently caress did the roaches make guns? Not only that but they seem to coordinate attacks without any technological communication?

Too many things are based off "reasons", this kinda blows rear end.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

They didn't. The guns are from the first landing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

How the gently caress did the roaches make guns? Not only that but they seem to coordinate attacks without any technological communication?

You're approaching this POS from the wrong angle: don't give a poo poo about "reasons" and enjoy the idiocy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Stole the guns from BUGS 2, communicate via bug magic. Boom.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Could someone please explain to me the "JOHJ" thing I keep seeing? Is it really a character's name or some kind of onomatopoeia? (I'm not actually reading/watching this)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's the sound the roaches make.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
It's something the cockroaches often say, usually to each other. It seems to be more of an emphasis than actual language, and that they're actually communicating mostly through another mean. I'm not sure how much of a spoiler that is because I'm not watching the anime, I've only read the manga, but I doubt anyone cares.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Crunchyroll now have uncensored episodes going up. So far it's only two episodes as of this post though, no idea if they're going to catch up all at once an simulcast both versions, have them slightly behind the censored version or ration the uncensored episodes out at a slower rate.

Edit: It looks like the uncensored version may very well be either simulcast or one week behind, as there is now a third episode up.

Second Edit: looked on the proper CR site, the first three episodes will be online for 24 hours as a sneak peek for them getting the full series at a, as yet unknown, future date. Which sucks if the censoring is as bad as they say.

I just went through the first two episodes, I haven't seen much of Gantz but I get the comparison, though going in cold I though that from the first scene it was going to be like Deadman Wonderland (which I liked as a bit dumb but fun) though maybe Attack on Titan is closer in the "don't get attached to any character outside the Protagonist and one or two other" stakes.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 26, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I think the thing that grosses me out most about this show is the fact that the roach dudes are filled with the same poo poo actual roaches are, head to toe. loving gross! lol

Also, I'm not watching it anymore until the rest of the uncut episodes come out, this poo poo is meant to be watched like Berserk-- totally free of censoring

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Episodes 4 and 5 didn't seem as bad censorship-wise.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Is it me or does the show seem to be bad at giving a sense of how quick things are happening? Specifically in episode 3 when the blonde woman gets her head pulled off by the charging roach it seemed like more than enough time passed for them to defend themselves since they were actually armed at the time.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Volume 10 is out and, uh, that sure was way more sexist than usual. Which is saying something.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Does the fighting in the anime ever pick up? I stopped watching because there was barely a lick of it in the first two episodes and what little there seemed to be was heavier on viscera than good looking action scenes.

I am willing to give it another shot because frankly karate bug people is kind of a big deal with me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OnimaruXLR posted:

Does the fighting in the anime ever pick up? I stopped watching because there was barely a lick of it in the first two episodes and what little there seemed to be was heavier on viscera than good looking action scenes.

I am willing to give it another shot because frankly karate bug people is kind of a big deal with me

Haven't watched the second episode but the first one was mostly getting them to Mars. Once they're on Mars it's just Fights The Series.

Display-None just dropped volume ten and oh my god people you need to read this.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

Display-None just dropped volume ten and oh my god people you need to read this.

:biotruths:: The Manga.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Please expand on this for those of us watching this train wreck from the sidelines.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I can make an actual post about the headache inducing hilarity of volume 10 later but for now enjoy this page presented with no context whatsoever.

http://i.imgur.com/f2CWUkZ.png
(Obviously spoilers for anyone who actually wants to read the volume)

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Simply golden

• Locked thread