Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

AnonSpore posted:

I guess this is the part where I mention that the terraformers were pretty clearly modeled after the first google image search result for homo erectus, and then get promptly ignored because I'm not pointing out how hilariously racist the manga is or something. :smith:

Thank you. I swear if I read one more post on one more forum about how racist teraformers is against black people I'm going to pop a blood vessel. It's like those people who go into Mass Effect discussions to talk about how the Batarrians are obviously a negative stereotype of Arab/Muslim countries because they're infamous for terrorist actions against humans. It's depressing how overt racism is always the first assumption at first proverbial hiccup anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

lil baby anime posted:

The whole diving beetle/locust fight against Michelle and w/e the dude's name was pretty great.

As a Punchsport Pagoda poster, I'm sure you can imagine that I was screaming BAH GAWD, THE FIGURE FOUR IS LOCKED IN!:bahgawd: in ecstasy during that fight

On the subject of the whole "something for everyone, let everyone think what they think," topic, I enjoyed the book so much when I read the whole thing yesterday because I sincerely believe after reading that it's and intentional homage to and parody of the Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/Power Rangers genre of action shows.

I had a wall of text about it over in the Seinen thread because there had been a half-page long discussion about how terrible and trashy the story is and it annoyed me because sincerely believe that the writing is deceptively clever. Some spoilers within the :words: :

Sanguinia posted:

On the subject of why one should or should not like Teraformers, I just finished reading the whole thing and I think people going on about it being a guilty pleasure that is obviously objectively bad are completely misguided. The whole story is a brilliant parody/homage to Super Sentai and Kamen Rider type shows. The completely absurd super science created by stereotypical super scientists (in the first volume at least), the army of identical monsters being fought by transforming heroes with animal powers, the futuristic jump suits and other ridiculous costumes, the full-on edutainment dialogue being spouted by an omniscient narrator mid-battle, the completely absurd manly hotblood, such as lines discussing how important the BURNING PASSION AND HEART of the martial artist is to the space mission. It's all textbook Power Rangers, and juxtaposing it to the Gantz despair formula of meaningless deaths, constant failure of any kind of plan and generally negative pictures into the daily life of humanity like abusive parents and cheating housewives really drives the absurdity of such a setting home. Of course at the same time there's still plenty of badass battles and heroic one-liners right out of any good showdown between Riders and Monsters to give the subject matter it's due respect as well.

The Karate guy's introduction so perfectly mirrors the typical introduction of the "uninitiated leader" to an already assembled team of rangers that you see in some Sentai shows (In english, Wild Force and Time Force are perfect instances, though the idea was borrowed from Japan) it was hard not to giggle. Heck, the basic premise of the protagonist's mission to save overpopulated dying earth by taking over mars for colonization is basically a darkly warped version of the typical "protect the peaceful future of humanity" plot those shows have.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Rodyle posted:

The racism and sexism mean it's something I would never, ever pay for but so what else is new?

If you want to say the manga has racism in it even without the roaches, fine. There is plenty of nationalistic stereotyping among the cast and some debatable NIPPON STRONG glorification. But what sexism? The costumes and bodytypes of the females aren't even a blip compared to 90% of entertainment in general, let alone manga specifically. I don't remember a single instance of patronizing or infantilization of any female cast member. I guess there was one misogynistic incident but I think focusing on the "demonization" of the high school girl and ignoring the male teacher's mutual role in the exploitation of the character with the false rape claim is taking the wrong message from that scene. They're both guilty parties and they're both taking advantage of an innocent person to cover up their crime.

There's virtually zero sexual exploitation in this manga, no gender bias in the violence against the heroes or in the assignment of combat or non-combat roles within the heroe's team... I mean, if this manga is sexist, I don't know what isn't. Please feel free to explain.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Bremen posted:

Didn't they say that women are more likely to survive the operation, and that's the reason they actually bring women on such a dangerous assignment? The fact that it was said so matter of factly really surprised me.

I don't know if I'd call that sexism on the part of the text or the author though. The simple fact of the matter is that many countries on Earth still don't allow women to fight in frontline combat roles in their militaries, so stating there's a reason for that to not be the case here probably qualifies as just a handwave rather than some kind of comment. Granted, this is 600 years in the future, and not a formal military expedition, and funded by the United Nations rather than any one country, but society and technology doesn't seem to have changed all that much. I don't think noting that the main reason for gender equality on this dangerous combat mission which stogy, conservative higher ups probably would have preferred to leave to THE MEN was necessity rather than some kind of societal enlightenment we go through in the future is sexism.

AnonSpore posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that with the exception of Michelle, no woman has done anything worthwhile. Even in the badass Russian team, the woman was one of the only two casualties. There's also the fact that (untranslated content spoiler) Isabella, the tough woman on Team Germany, also goes down in pretty much the exact same way that the Russian woman does, and also the bit where (also untranslated content spoiler) it's revealed that his child doesn't have a mosaic organ, since it's another man's baby.

There is a second woman on the Russian team, and she is doing just fine. She kicked plenty of rear end in that sequence with her sweet scorpion ponytail. In the earlier chapters, the South African woman was using her Roach Mind Control to great effect as well. Granted, she was a villain, and a megalomaniac with delusions of conquest, but she was still competent. The First Officer of Bugs 2, despite her gruesome and pointless death, was one of the last people standing and did have a position of authority being second in command and all. Considering how most of the men seem to die just as pointlessly and contribute just as little, I wouldn't say there was an unfair or biased degree of worthlessness on the female side.

As for the cheating wife thing, I can't really comment since I can't read japanese, but I feel like there's probably more to that situation than is immediately apparent. But I could be wrong, I dunno.

I guess it all comes down to opinion in the end. But I just don't see it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Dickeye posted:

This comic is utter garbage with no redeeming qualities.

adtrw.txt

• Locked thread