Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I have a lot of fond memories of this game, actually. I used to rent it all the time (did eventually buy it) and I'd play it with my best friend all the time. Apparently she got so lost that she ran around and eventually got max money and max lens.

But the battle really was kind of amazing for the time. I remember I'd run around just to fight and have fun with it... until the game high encounter rate killed that joy. It's really stiff and awkward now, especially now that there are better Tales games to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Hell, I was one of those Leon fangirls as a kid and now I have no loving idea what I was thinking. He's by no means the worst character or anything, but really doesn't deserve the love he gets. Even within the Tales series there are far, far better characters.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

The graphics themselves carry plenty of charm, though. Hell, I remember when Eternia came out and how people were kind of annoying they went for slightly more realistic, less "chibi" style. (Of course, I remember people being pretty hard on Eternia at the time. I really don't know why...)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I would kill someone for an English version of the PS2 remake, no lie.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I forget: later on, if you let Dalis die does that mean you're locked out of getting Mary back? I actually thought you could get Mary back sooner, because I recall when I had Dalis live I was annoyed how long it took to get her back. But that still doesn't sound right. Is there a benefit to letting Dalis live, other than not feeling like poo poo?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Volume posted:

Actually If you let him die you can get Mary back sooner than if you had let him live.

Ah, so I did remember correctly. Huh. Well, gently caress that guy, then.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

God this game is awful sometimes.

One thing I can distinctly remember is how loving awful the dungeons in this game are. Tales games in general have pretty lovely dungeons, but the old games were really dickish about it. I'm torn on which had worse dungeons: Phantasia, Destiny, or Eternia.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Spiffo posted:

It might be because I'm too used to it, but what was so bad about Eternia's dungeons?

Well, to be honest, it's really only that damned forest and Chat's hut that really tick me off. But maaan they tick me off.

In all fairness, I really shouldn't have grouped them with Destiny or Phantasia, but it's also been a while since I played either one of those...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Eternia also had a less sadistic encounter rate, at least that's what I recall. But yeah, for the first two games Holy Bottles are necessity to not go absolutely crazy.

The best thing these games ever did wasn't going 3D, or free-run, it was ditching random encounters.

EDIT: Actually, has anyone played the PS2 remake? Does it improve Destiny's flaws? Because, man, I could kill someone for an English release of that game if it does improve the game.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 10, 2013

• Locked thread