Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Shounen is a genre encapsulating dozens and dozens of ongoing manga in Japan. Primarily marketed towards boys and young men, they're often fantastical in nature and feature protagonists the reader can relate to. This thread is for everything that doesn't have a large enough fanbase here for its own thread, and to introduce brand new serializations to the forums that may eventually get their own thread. If it gets big enough, make a thread for it! Thread alumni include heavyweights like Beelzebub, Silver Spoon and Toriko.

How do I know if [manga] is actually Shounen?

Well, all the reader sites are pretty good about labeling that sort of thing. A couple good rules of thumb to follow are:

Is the lead protagonist female?

If so, there's a pretty solid chance you're looking at a shoujo or josei series. You'll want this thread instead. However, if the plot is very action oriented, it could be Shounen or Seinen.

Is the violence extremely graphic and/or is there uncensored nudity?

That's probably a Seinen series, marketed toward grown men and adults in general. They usually have serious, more realistic stories. Your historic and "hard" sci-fi manga usually fall under this category. You can find the seinen thread here.

So what's good to read right now?

There's several manga that get new chapters posted regularly in the thread! :toot:

Rosario+Vampire
By a bizzare coincidence, Tsukune Aono has accidentally gotten himself admitted to a youkai academy, a school attended by monsters. Just when he thinks he'll run away from there, he meets the beautiful girl Moka and his mood turns ultra happy. However, she transforms into her true form when the rosary on her chest is taken off--she's a vampire!

Witch Craft Works
Honoka Takamiya is a regular student whose only problem seems to be that he sits next to Ayaka Kagari, the school's #1 beauty. They have never crossed words before, and even a small interaction between them results in her fan club beating him. Yet, when a falling part of the school's building is about to send him to the afterlife, it was she who came to his rescue dressed as a witch, carrying him in her arms and floating on a broom. She continues to protect him using her fire magic until the attempt on his life ends. She tells him it is her mission to protect him, and that now she can finally protect him openly. Why was Takamiya attacked, who asked Kagari to protect him, and why does she refer to him as "my princess"?

It's not my fault I'm not popular!
Kuroki Tomoko is a super popular, high school girl, who has had 50 years of dating experience, and 100 boys... in the Otome game world. In the real world, she is a 15 year old shut in. However, when school isn't going as she expected, and she isn't as popular as she had thought she was, she takes a look at herself in the mirror for the first time in a few years, and has some shocking revelations...

Nanatsu no Taizai
The "Seven Deadly Sins", a group of evil knights who conspired to overthrow the kingdom of Britannia, were said to have been eradicated by the Holy Knights. Ten years later, the Holy Knights have staged a Coup d'état and assassinated the king, becoming the new, tyrannical rulers of the kingdom. Elizabeth, the king's only daughter, sets out on a journey to find the "Seven Deadly Sins", and to enlist their help in taking back the kingdom.

Again!!
The main character is a student attending his high-school graduation. Due to his appearance and personality, he didn't make a single friend during his three years of high school. As he remembers his days in the school, he wonders what his life would have been like if he had made different choices. In particular he wonders about his life had he answered differently when girl from the cheering club asked him to join. Since the cheering club was disbanded, he feels he should take one last look at their club room before leaving the school forever. However, he is misunderstood by another girl that was waiting for her boyfriend and as he chases her, she falls down the stairs. He goes to check on her but ends up falling too. He wakes up to find he is back to his first day in school. Thinking it's obviously a dream, he just tries to correct the mistakes he made during that day...until the girl shows up blaming him for pushing her down the stairs and what's worse bringing her three years into the past!

Sket Dance
The hilarious misadventures of the "Sket Dan"; a couple of high-schoolers who help out people as part of their club activity. Himeko, the hot-headed ex-delinquent with a soft spot for cute things and a taste for strange food. Switch, the brainy otaku who only talks via a computerized speech-application. And Bossun, the atypical leader of this looney bunch, with the amazing power to... concentrate very hard!

Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san (Cancelled :( )
Meet the tiny police station of rejects, consisting of Kanjuurou the snide chief, Haruki the common pervert patrol officer, and Kiruko, the rookie policewoman… who also just happens to be an insanely strong former military mercenary!

Sengoku Youko
"Stop your evil deeds and take the right path!" That is the creed of Youko Tama and her younger step brother, Jinka Sendou. The two demon siblings travel the country to stop the deeds of all evil doers, along with a scaredy cat swordsman they picked up along the way, Hyoudou Shinsuke. Their travels lie with many twists and turns, as well as wacky characters they'll meet along the way.

Zettai Karen Children
It's the 21st century, and the number of ESPers continues to increase. They are active in the military, diplomacy, politics, and in other places. They hold the key for global competition. A country that controls ESP can control the world! However individuals who posses higher than Level 4 are less than 3% of the population. There are only three Level 7 people who have government contracts. These three are Kaoru, Aoi, and Shiho, ten-year old girls, who work for B.A.B.E.L. With the guidance of Kouichi Minamoto , a twenty-year old genius, they catch criminals and evil ESPers. However even with all that, Minamoto still has to deal with their unruly and troublesome behavior.

REMEMBER! If you find a series with a bunch of chapters you haven't seen posted in here before, check to see if there's not a thread already!

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
And for historical purposes, here's the previous thread.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Nice work, Spazmaster X.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This series is pretty cool because it's basically Japanese X-Men.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zorak posted:

Nice work, Spazmaster X.

Oh ho, praise from Caesar is praise indeed.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
One of my favourite series is Konjiki no Gash, which is somehow transliterated into my language as 'Gouache'. I liked it mostly because the guy really knows how to jerk my tears and the fights (until the last arc) had been creative and entertaining. So on that note, there's an extra chapter, set after the ending! It's short and sweet, though it makes me wish the series didn't end the way it does.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Is anyone else weirded out by the fact that a Naoki Urasawa character was just introduced in Nanatsu no Taizai?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Is anyone else weirded out by the fact that a Naoki Urasawa character was just introduced in Nanatsu no Taizai?
I'm not familiar with Urasawa's works but are you talking about the lady assassin at the end of Chapter 20?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No. King is drawn completely in Urasawa's very distinctive style, which doesn't really match any of the other characters.

Also, why the hell would you waste time with Nanatsu no Taizai if you haven't read any of Urasawa's magnificent completed(!) mangas? Here is the Naoki Urasawa thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432538

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Speaking of NnT:

Ch. 20: Ah, I get it - this whole arc is just Ban and King competing over who will get the Moonlight Greatsword. :tenbux: says Meliodas will land the finishing blow before either gets it and ruin everything.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Hello new thread. Have some Again!! Ch. 31, won't you?

To build on the OP's write-up, Again!! is cool because it manages to take the piss out of lots of classic shonen elements without becoming a total parody. Imamura knows for a fact that he's got to change, but that doesn't mean he's buying into any of this hot-blooded burning spirit hard work guts fight power of friendship bullshit.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Is that dark haired guy they always show on the cover supposed to be Imamura?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Jackard posted:

Is that dark haired guy they always show on the cover supposed to be Imamura?

If you're talking about this cover, that's Hiro-kun, Fujieda's crush/stalkee.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SpazmasterX posted:

It's not my fault I'm not popular!
Kuroki Tomoko is a super popular, high school girl, who has had 50 years of dating experience, and 100 boys... in the Otome game world. In the real world, she is a 15 year old shut in. However, when school isn't going as she expected, and she isn't as popular as she had thought she was, she takes a look at herself in the mirror for the first time in a few years, and has some shocking revelations...

Holy hell, this is awesome and also horrifically depressing at the same time. Will be reading this.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Speaking of It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular, its spinoff It's Not My Fault My Friend's Not Popular had a short new chapter! I wonder if Komi will eventually phase out of the story or appear in the main story.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
BREAKING NEWS! Weird people come to Tokyo. Kiruko 14.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

toanoradian posted:

BREAKING NEWS! Weird people come to Tokyo. Kiruko 14.

That was excellent. It's not usually the case that ordinary people in a shonen manga react to stuff like Kiruko like an ordinary person should. Kiruko's face of disappointment at the coldness of the big city was excellent. A good chapter, not fishing for very awkward fanservice.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Mary Annette posted:

If you're talking about this cover, that's Hiro-kun, Fujieda's crush/stalkee.
Oh that guy. Why do they keep showing him in front on the cover? He hasn't been around since the beginning.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Also, why the hell would you waste time with Nanatsu no Taizai if you haven't read any of Urasawa's magnificent completed(!) mangas? Here is the Naoki Urasawa thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432538

Because we enjoyed this author's previous work? Thats kind of a dumb question; Urasawa doesnt have to be related to someones reading at all.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You should probably link to the Mizukami thread if you're mentioning Sengoku Youko; that's where new chapters of that series are usually discussed. I'd highly recommend every series discussed in that thread.

In terms of undiscussed stuff I read... I'd recommend Yamada and the Seven Witches. It's the second serialization of the creator of Yankee-kun to Megane-Chan and centers around the eponymous characters, all of whom have special powers that activate when they kiss another person. Admittedly the last part of the premise is a bit dumb (why a kiss?), but the story is all about finding the other Witches, working out how their powers work, and using those powers to solve problems. Characters are generally pretty intelligent, even the "dumb delinquent" main character, and it's scanlated in a way that gives most of the major characters distinct voices. It's one of the better weeklies.

There's also Akame ga Kill!, which is basically right at the shounen/seinen edge. It's about a country kid who moves to the capital of a corrupt fantasy empire and falls in with Night Raid, an assassin's organization working with the anti-empire rebels. Characters are likeable, the fights are good, and people can and do die. It's not the most morally complex story, but it's gray enough to stay interesting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At the very least Mizukami is seinen, even if it does appear to be shounen at first glance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Datenshi Gakuen Debipara is a manga with an incredibly generic premise. However, it is actually a comedy and not a shounen fighting manga like the description would suggest. It is actually hilarious, even.
http://mangafox.me/manga/datenshi_gakuen_debipara/

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Datenshi Gakuen Debipara is a manga with an incredibly generic premise. However, it is actually a comedy and not a shounen fighting manga like the description would suggest. It is actually hilarious, even.

Nothing about the art style says 'comedy' to me, but it's got real potential. Rin is the best kind of idiot.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009

Feels like a parody of Persona or YuGiOh without actually saying it. Interesting so far.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Einander posted:

In terms of undiscussed stuff I read... I'd recommend Yamada and the Seven Witches. It's the second serialization of the creator of Yankee-kun to Megane-Chan and centers around the eponymous characters, all of whom have special powers that activate when they kiss another person. Admittedly the last part of the premise is a bit dumb (why a kiss?), but the story is all about finding the other Witches, working out how their powers work, and using those powers to solve problems. Characters are generally pretty intelligent, even the "dumb delinquent" main character, and it's scanlated in a way that gives most of the major characters distinct voices. It's one of the better weeklies.
How long does it take before it gets to the Witches? I thought this was going to be like Tokyo ESP...

e: actually now I miss Mx0 - a guy with no magic ends up in a magic school and has to bluff his way through various problems that crop up. It reached 99 chapters before being cut short due to lack of interest overseas.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 29, 2013

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

New Knights of Sidonia.

Wonder how that whole transmigration thing is going to work out.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Jackard posted:

e: actually now I miss Mx0 - a guy with no magic ends up in a magic school and has to bluff his way through various problems that crop up. It reached 99 chapters before being cut short due to lack of interest overseas.

I still miss this one, what a tragedy

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Tsumugi for Saimoe 2013. :cthulhu:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 29, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
New weapons! Cool new ships! A sweet new super-powerful ally!

Oh god it's all going to get totally hosed up isn't it. :ohdear:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
One that never gets mentioned that more people should read is Gamaran: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/gamaran/

It's a fight of the week style comic with lots of sword fighting dudes. The combat is visualized better than any of the other comics I'm reading right now and the story is just getting to the point where they're going to fight the big bad that has been depicted as the strongest guy all series long. It doesn't get talked about much here because there isn't much to actually discuss, though. Most characters have an average life span of three issues so most discussion would probably be "Oh, this new guy is kind of bad rear end" followed by "welp, he's dead".

Still, you should read it if you like comics about dudes fighting with swords (and sometimes other sharp/pointy objects).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Two new chapters of: Hadaka no Taiyou.

I really get the feeling that this is a cross between Yankee-Kun & Megane-Chan and Bakuman. We've got a club led by a feisty but one-track-minded girl, and they get into all sorts of hijinks, and the theme is making manga. The art style kinda reminds me of YK&MC as well. It's some great stuff, check it out!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Two new chapters of: Hadaka no Taiyou.

I really get the feeling that this is a cross between Yankee-Kun & Megane-Chan and Bakuman. We've got a club led by a feisty but one-track-minded girl, and they get into all sorts of hijinks, and the theme is making manga. The art style kinda reminds me of YK&MC as well. It's some great stuff, check it out!

Genshiken too if they're going to go with the same "Empty club room test" gag as they did there.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I come bearing some late Easter candy. A new Rosario+Vampire! Unfortunately it's not by the same group that normally does it, so there's a few QC issues. Still plenty readable though.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Last chapter of Princess Resurrection.

I guess Buchi kept his weird pod-people alien powers.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Good news: It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular just got licensed in the US by Yen Press.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-30/yen-press-adds-inu-boku-ss-watamote-wolf-children-kingdom-hearts-manga

:woop:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! Ch. 32!

In which Chankuma can't even make it through the title page without being a creeper, Fujieda gives a chalk talk, Usami dishes out some headbutts, and it looks like an old enemy is out to get Imamura!

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 3, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The rumors are flying that Kiruko is going to be ending in WSJ Issue #22/23 and that Medaka Box will be ending in #24. Allegedly a new manga by Ohba/Obata (Death Note, Bakuman) will be coming out to replace one or both.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Angry Grimace posted:

The rumors are flying that Kiruko is going to be ending in WSJ Issue #22/23

Say it ain't so, Joe!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Angry Grimace posted:

and that Medaka Box will be ending in #24. Allegedly a new manga by Ohba/Obata (Death Note, Bakuman) will be coming out to replace one or both.

Nooo

But sweet new a new manga from them will be pretty good at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

The rumors are flying that Kiruko is going to be ending in WSJ Issue #22/23 and that Medaka Box will be ending in #24. Allegedly a new manga by Ohba/Obata (Death Note, Bakuman) will be coming out to replace one or both.

:sigh: Damnit. I knew something like this would happen. Original, creative manga never survive in WSJ.