Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

... and most if not all of us on these forums did, here's an inspirational video about the experience:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltun92DfnPY

And here's a cool, also inspirational video Abe recommends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5lYwO5IlU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous

"Pork Chop" is my trigger word; thanks for ruining my day OP.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

That was pretty lame. Someone called you Pork Chop, really? You had a birthmark and now you're a married mother of two? You had ADD or something? Sounds like someones got a case of WPP. The world isn't sunshine and rainbows and kids are douchebags, get over it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Captain Amerikkka posted:

That was pretty lame. Someone called you Pork Chop, really? You had a birthmark and now you're a married mother of two? You had ADD or something? Sounds like someones got a case of WPP. The world isn't sunshine and rainbows and kids are douchebags, get over it.

You've got one cold, hard heart dude.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

They still call it the White House
But that's a temporary condition, too.

That's pretty hosed up man, Captain America wouldn't endorse this tough love horseshit. I guess that's why you got demoted to Captain Amerikkka.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Jewel Repetition posted:

You've got one cold, hard heart dude.

Not really. I once saw a dude get held down after a football practice and have the handle of a broomstick shoved up his rear end by his friends. It perforated his anus. I felt really sorry for him and I still regret not being able to stop it. I felt sorry for the dude I knew that had his face broken in every place imaginable over owing someone five bucks. I feel sorry for the good friend of mine that got thrown into a goalpost and both of his ACLs destroyed because some upperclassmen decided it would be funny to abuse a smaller, weaker guy. I grew up around some pretty heinous violence. Pork chop is a sweet name and the birthmark chick turned out fine though so I'm gonna go ahead and say what they went through was no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

RndmCnflct
Oct 26, 2004

It was produced well. But yeah, get over it. He clearly didn't and he really needs to.

Pepsi-Tan
Dec 31, 2007
Now, more then ever.

Not really. I once saw a dude get held down after a football practice and have the handle of a broomstick shoved up his rear end by his friends. It perforated his anus. I felt really sorry for him and I still regret not being able to stop it. I felt sorry for the dude I knew that had his face broken in every place imaginable over owing someone five bucks. I feel sorry for the good friend of mine that got thrown into a goalpost and both of his ACLs destroyed because some upperclassmen decided it would be funny to abuse a smaller, weaker guy. I grew up around some pretty heinous violence. Pork chop is a sweet name and the birthmark chick turned out fine though so I'm gonna go ahead and say what they went through was no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Other people have been abused/bullied harder, therefore that negates the validity of other's abuse. Okay then

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes

as if someone with crippling depression could put together a video like that. what a poser

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

maybe i'm just too demanding

Changed the video to something a little more inspirational.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

I am cyberbullied constantly by members of my MMORPG guild for my poo poo DPS. The only reason they still bring me along is to laugh at me. I ask myself every day, "is tonight the raid where I end it all?", but I can never go through with it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Next time PT6A makes you want to buy him another red title, instead please donate to the Alberta Children's Hospital that he hates so much.

Call Me Abey posted:

Changed the video to something a little more inspirational.

Thanks, Abe, I was totally inspired by that video!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

They still call it the White House
But that's a temporary condition, too.

Jesus Christ dude, did you grow up in the Thunderdome? I've never heard of anyone getting pogosticked by a broom.

Darth123123
Jan 26, 2006

"This video approved for all ages". Can we get the orginal back please, or stack them so we get context.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Next time PT6A makes you want to buy him another red title, instead please donate to the Alberta Children's Hospital that he hates so much.

Darth123123 posted:

"This video approved for all ages". Can we get the orginal back please, or stack them so we get context.

No, this one is way much more inspiring!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

Done.

Those are all terrible things to happen. But physical violence isn't the only way to hurt someone. Emotional violence hurts just as bad, and the scars last just as long. I have a friend who was made fun of constantly in gradeschool for being ugly and she still cries about it to this day (she's in her twenties). But maybe no one ever got to you, and you didn't care what anyone thought. If so, you're lucky.

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous

Could you recommend some sweet weeping videos, OP?

Jkid
Apr 20, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

Those are all terrible things to happen. But physical violence isn't the only way to hurt someone. Emotional violence hurts just as bad, and the scars last just as long. I have a friend who was made fun of constantly in gradeschool for being ugly and she still cries about it to this day (she's in her twenties). But maybe no one ever got to you, and you didn't care what anyone thought. If so, you're lucky.

The problem is that many people are so naive on how much traumatic emotional violence can be. They just spew lovely advice to those who are still suffering from the after effects. They're lucky they don't get punched for spewing such advice to people who have been in mental anguish.

I know this because I get lovely advice when I was suffering from suicidal depression, and I wanted to punch people in the face. But it would make my problems worse, by them pressing charges for assault. So in most cases, they just put up with it with a straight face.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jkid posted:

The problem is that many people are so naive on how much traumatic emotional violence can be. They just spew lovely advice to those who are still suffering from the after effects. They're lucky they don't get punched for spewing such advice to people who have been in mental anguish.

I know this because I get lovely advice when I was suffering from suicidal depression, and I wanted to punch people in the face. But it would make my problems worse, by them pressing charges for assault. So in most cases, they just put up with it with a straight face.

To be fair, I think being raped with a broomhandle could be worse than that, despite how bad emotional violence can be.

EDIT: But then again, maybe not. If it was a one-time thing, it might well be easier to deal with than an ongoing programme of harassment. Having your anus perforated with a broom, or your ACLs damaged certainly sounds worse, though.

BillNyeTheNaziSpy
May 27, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jkid posted:

Agreed. Some people don't understand the true power of incredible own words and shaming.

Quality_Guaranteed
Jan 23, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yeah, I dunno. Bullying is horrible but I feel like its worse if you're a minority, female, homosexual, or some combination thereof. In my experience, straight white males tend to get mocked for being fat and/or because of their lack of social skills. Yeah it kinda sucks but at least it's within their own power to change it. You can lose weight and work on being more sociable and outgoing. But girls have to put up with so much more poo poo, as do gay kids and non-white kids, because of the added trauma of sexism, homophobia, and racism. Girls, for example, are under so much more scrutiny when it comes to their appearance than boys are, and the consequences for not being stereotypically attractive are incredibly harsh. Gay kids are often driven to suicide, and oftimes even teachers and faculty don't give a poo poo about their well being. Non-white kids have the gigantic poo poo sandwich of racism to put up with. These are extremely serious issues, and are far more difficult for a child to deal with because they're beyond the power of that one child. But with fat white boys, it's basically because of their man-boobs and Star Wars shirts.

Harsh but true. No child deserves bullying but there's different degrees of bullying, and some kids need more help and compassion than others. A chubby white boy should be told to lose weight, put away the Magic: The Gathering cards at lunch, and knock it off with the Monty Python jokes. But the horrible experiences that so many girls/gays/non-whites go through is a much more systematic problem. It's as simple as that.

BillNyeTheNaziSpy
May 27, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Quality_Guaranteed posted:

Yeah, I dunno. Bullying is horrible but I feel like its worse if you're a minority, female, homosexual, or some combination thereof. In my experience, straight white males tend to get mocked for being fat and/or because of their lack of social skills. Yeah it kinda sucks but at least it's within their own power to change it. You can lose weight and work on being more sociable and outgoing. But girls have to put up with so much more poo poo, as do gay kids and non-white kids, because of the added trauma of sexism, homophobia, and racism. Girls, for example, are under so much more scrutiny when it comes to their appearance than boys are, and the consequences for not being stereotypically attractive are incredibly harsh. Gay kids are often driven to suicide, and oftimes even teachers and faculty don't give a poo poo about their well being. Non-white kids have the gigantic poo poo sandwich of racism to put up with. These are extremely serious issues, and are far more difficult for a child to deal with because they're beyond the power of that one child. But with fat white boys, it's basically because of their man-boobs and Star Wars shirts.

Harsh but true. No child deserves bullying but there's different degrees of bullying, and some kids need more help and compassion than others. A chubby white boy should be told to lose weight, put away the Magic: The Gathering cards at lunch, and knock it off with the Monty Python jokes. But the horrible experiences that so many girls/gays/non-whites go through is a much more systematic problem. It's as simple as that.

Agreed, I think I saw a great post in the Feminism thread that showed this very theorem by the well ordering principle.

Jkid
Apr 20, 2010

A chubby white boy should be told to lose weight, put away the Magic: The Gathering cards at lunch, and knock it off with the Monty Python jokes.

Problem is non-white people and girls can be told the same thing if they're into Magic cards. Their peers would basically send them a message that they should be get into inane pop culture bullshit, and popular music to "fit in" and learn to be miserable during middle/high school.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think these things affect the odds of being bullied more than the severity of any bullying which does occur (and that's certainly a thing that needs to change). If you're selected as a consistent target, it doesn't really matter why. I can't speak for anyone else's school, but I honestly can't remember anyone who was actually gay being bullied using homophobic slurs and whatnot -- it was more of a thing to call people who were already targets for other reasons, to piss them off (which, yes, is completely horrible. I, and I imagine my friends as well, regret doing it). The gay kids who were out were as accepted as anyone else. I don't remember any overt racism past middle school, but I was in a pretty homogenous school, which could explain it.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

I certainly wasn't brushing off the idea that emotional bullying can be traumatizing, I just think that video is garbage. The OP accused me of being heartless, which just isn't true. I saw all of that (and more!) happen at a Catholic high school over the course of two years before I transferred back to public schools and never witnessed anything near as hosed up as I saw in those two years. I was bullied constantly for no real reason, that's just the way it was there. I started working out three times a day as a freshman in highschool so I could successfully resort to violence if I needed to. I definitely understand that it can wreck your self esteem and leave a lasting mark on you, but I also believe if you're an adult making some overly sappy video about how some kids were mean to you 20 years ago you need to let it the gently caress go. The cool thing about life is that time never stops moving.

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005

If the original video is the one I'm thinking of then the constantly-on-the-verge-of-tears voice of the narrator made it impossible for me to watch and enjoy. Can't stand that poo poo.

Jkid
Apr 20, 2010

I certainly wasn't brushing off the idea that emotional bullying can be traumatizing, I just think that video is garbage. The OP accused me of being heartless, which just isn't true. I saw all of that (and more!) happen at a Catholic high school over the course of two years before I transferred back to public schools and never witnessed anything near as hosed up as I saw in those two years. I was bullied constantly for no real reason, that's just the way it was there. I started working out three times a day as a freshman in highschool so I could successfully resort to violence if I needed to. I definitely understand that it can wreck your self esteem and leave a lasting mark on you, but I also believe if you're an adult making some overly sappy video about how some kids were mean to you 20 years ago you need to let it the gently caress go. The cool thing about life is that time never stops moving.

The real question many people don't ask and never give a real answer to is: How to move the gently caress on? If the person is still suffering from the after-effects from bullying during the adult lives, that phrase "move the gently caress on" would be insulting and offensive, and time goes on means nothing to the person if all that negative socialization leaves him damaged goods.

But it was a one-off/one-day incident, that would make sense.

natetimm
May 24, 2007
MAYBE WITH THIS SYCOPHANTIC POST,
THE JOB CREATORS WILL FINALLY LOVE ME AND TREAT ME AS ONE OF THEIR OWN

Look, Daddy I'm even racist like you!

This is a racist as gently caress characterization of white people in general cloaked in some sort of progressive-sounding horseshit. People get bullied for all sorts of reasons besides being fat or nerds. They could have a lovely-sounding name, be short, wear glasses, be poor and wear lovely clothes, or any other combination of stupid poo poo kids use to torture each other. The fact that you have to create some sort of hierarchy with white people squarely at the bottom instead of just addressing the problem at its root is ridiculous. Life isn't a contest to see who gets to claim the most or most righteous form of abuse. Getting your rear end beaten and abused for dumb reasons is awful no matter who you are and creating a narrative designed especially to tell white males experiencing it that their suffering isn't bad or politically popular enough to merit the same level of concern or action is just blatant loving racism.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Yeah, I dunno. Bullying is horrible but I feel like its worse if you're a minority, female, homosexual, or some combination thereof. In my experience, straight white males tend to get mocked for being fat and/or because of their lack of social skills. Yeah it kinda sucks but at least it's within their own power to change it. You can lose weight and work on being more sociable and outgoing.

Not necessarily. They might have autism, which makes getting social skills arduous and painful. And if they're overweight at a young age, their parents probably are too, and they're probably being fed/bought lots of snacks and sweets. Or they could have a glandular problem. Or they could just be naturally shy or introverted.

Also, there are a lot of reasons people can be made fun of besides their race/orientation. In fact, nowadays those are really uncommon because kids know they'll get in a shitload of trouble for them. But they can get ridiculed for being poor, being a foreign exchange student, having a handicap, being ugly, having a strange voice, having trouble at home, the list goes on. And most of this stuff can happen to anybody, including straight white males.

Although girls do definitely have it worse than boys. Boys are mostly made fun of for their qualities, but for the most part they can act however they want. Girls are obligated to say and do exactly the right thing at all times. Edit: In retrospect, boys can't really act however they want. If they're overly sensitive/girly, or intellectual/geeky, or they step on the wrong toes, they'll still get hammered down. But I maintain that it's even worse for young women.

If they want to play Magic or quote Monty Python or wear a shirt from a movie they like, then they should be able to. Repeatedly making Monty Python jokes to someone who doesn't care and has never heard of it would be more of a social problem they should fix, but usually it happens between likeminded people. No one should have to drastically alter their personality out of fear.

natetimm posted:

This is a racist as gently caress characterization of white people in general cloaked in some sort of progressive-sounding horseshit. People get bullied for all sorts of reasons besides being fat or nerds. They could have a lovely-sounding name, be short, wear glasses, be poor and wear lovely clothes, or any other combination of stupid poo poo kids use to torture each other. The fact that you have to create some sort of hierarchy with white people squarely at the bottom instead of just addressing the problem at its root is ridiculous. Life isn't a contest to see who gets to claim the most or most righteous form of abuse. Getting your rear end beaten and abused for dumb reasons is awful no matter who you are and creating a narrative designed especially to tell white males experiencing it that their suffering isn't bad or politically popular enough to merit the same level of concern or action is just blatant loving racism.

I really, really doubt there was any racism involved in that post. Although it's kind of weird that Quality_Guaranteed singled out the fat or nerdy abuse as not counting, since that's the kind people on the SA forums were most likely to go through. I'm not sure what that means.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Jkid posted:

The real question many people don't ask and never give a real answer to is: How to move the gently caress on? If the person is still suffering from the after-effects from bullying during the adult lives, that phrase "move the gently caress on" would be insulting and offensive, and time goes on means nothing to the person if all that negative socialization leaves him damaged goods.

But it was a one-off/one-day incident, that would make sense.

I don't know man, you just do. I seriously can't understand people who are still living in a time where a bunch of morally underdeveloped half-monkeys did them wrong. Is it extreme emotional sensitivity or something? At some point everyone should realize that life goes on. You make what you make of it moving forward. It might sound cruel but I think the kind of people that make things like the original video were doomed from the beginning. There are lessons to be learned from everything in life, and bullying should at least be teaching you resiliency. If you take nothing from it and wallow in the past I wouldn't know what to tell you because in my mind it's an extremely atypical response to something everyone deals with in their life.

edit: Also, OP, you know you're about to get banned for editing that video back in right? Also that video legit sucks real bad so you should quit posting it anyways.

natetimm
May 24, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Not necessarily. They might have autism, which makes getting social skills arduous and painful. And if they're overweight at a young age, their parents probably are too, and they're probably being fed/bought lots of snacks and sweets. Or they could have a glandular problem. Or they could just be naturally shy or introverted.

Also, there are a lot of reasons people can be made fun of besides their race/orientation. In fact, nowadays those are really uncommon because kids know they'll get in a shitload of trouble for them. But they can get ridiculed for being poor, being a foreign exchange student, having a handicap, being ugly, having a strange voice, having trouble at home, the list goes on. And most of this stuff can happen to anybody, including straight white males.

Although girls do definitely have it worse than boys. Boys are mostly made fun of for their qualities, but for the most part they can act however they want. Girls are obligated to say and do exactly the right thing at all times.

If they want to play Magic or quote Monty Python or wear a shirt from a movie they like, then they should be able to. Repeatedly making Monty Python jokes to someone who doesn't care and has never heard of it would be more of a social problem they should fix, but usually it happens between likeminded people. No one should have to drastically alter their personality out of fear.

I really, really doubt there was any racism involved in that post. Although it's kind of weird that Quality_Guaranteed singled out the fat or nerdy abuse as not counting, since that's the kind people on the SA forums were most likely to go through. I'm not sure what that means.

Telling white males that their issues aren't as important or valid as others because of "endemic problems" is racist, pure and simple. Especially when you consider suicide rates. If there's any race currently experiencing an "endemic" problem of suicide besides Native Americans, it's white males.

http://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventi...cs/rates02.html

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't know man, you just do. I seriously can't understand people who are still living in a time where a bunch of morally underdeveloped half-monkeys did them wrong. Is it extreme emotional sensitivity or something? At some point everyone should realize that life goes on. You make what you make of it moving forward. It might sound cruel but I think the kind of people that make things like the original video were doomed from the beginning. There are lessons to be learned from everything in life, and bullying should at least be teaching you resiliency. If you take nothing from it and wallow in the past I wouldn't know what to tell you because in my mind it's an extremely atypical response to something everyone deals with in their life.

People have different coping styles, which mostly depend on how their life was going as children. If they had friends, a loving family, and hope to fall back on, then maybe bullying could be a learning experience. But if they didn't, or if they were just type who wears their heart on their sleeve, then it can affect their sense of self for the rest of their life. If someone's called stupid enough times, and they don't have anyone defending them or a strong reason to disagree, they'll carry on through the rest of their life thinking they're stupid. Or weak, or worthless, or destined to be alone, or whatever the favored ridicule was.

edit: Also, OP, you know you're about to get banned for editing that video back in right? Also that video legit sucks real bad so you should quit posting it anyways.

If I am, then I am. But people are curious to see it, and I still think it's beautiful, even if it's also depressing.

natetimm posted:

Telling white males that their issues aren't as important or valid as others because of "endemic problems" is racist, pure and simple. Especially when you consider suicide rates. If there's any race currently experiencing an "endemic" problem of suicide besides Native Americans, it's white males.

http://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventi...cs/rates02.html

Please, please don't derail this thread in the direction I see you going. I'm begging you.

natetimm
May 24, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

If I am, then I am. But people are curious to see it, and I still think it's beautiful, even if it's also depressing.

Please, please don't derail this thread in the direction I see you going. I'm begging you.

Your thread is poo poo to begin with. You've already had a moderator come in and beat you over the head for it and replace your video. Stop coddling this turd-baby of a thread like it's something special. It isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Wow

I mean this in the kindest possible way given that we're on a humor website but I worry a lot about you.