Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Mio was actually the first girl. Her name was Tsumagawa Mio back in the one-shot/basically pilot-chapter of the series back in 2007.

The pilot chapter is non-canon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

These are the wrong answer because they are not Yui and thus unacceptable.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Rodyle posted:

These are the wrong answer because they are not Yui and thus unacceptable.

Yui is the only one who could trump the first girl wins rule. :smugbert:

Her scene in the anime was great, as expected, but I shortly after got real sad when I realized that there could have been a lot more. :smith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yui is a logical choice because she turns Keima into the first-girl-wins rule.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Mio was actually the first girl. Her name was Tsumagawa Mio back in the one-shot/basically pilot-chapter of the series back in 2007.

I think it's a safe bet to assume the oneshot's canon has no bearing on the series proper, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Now I really want to see Nikaido's ending :haw:

Now there's a capture arc I'd love to see. Hell, we could get some info one what's up with her and Akari, too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Whoa, poo poo man. I gotta sit down. Which first-girl-wins rule trumps the others?

(The correct answer is neither. Chihiro wins :colbert:.)

Also yeah, they need to get around to showing what's up with the teacher.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

Whoa, poo poo man. I gotta sit down. Which first-girl-wins rule trumps the others?

(The correct answer is neither. Chihiro wins :colbert:.)

She's also the only girl to be straight rejected by him, too :colbert:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

chumbler posted:

Wouldn't have needed to if they hadn't skipped the goddamn Hinoki arc :argh:

AnacondaHL posted:

Yui's hands need to be labeled a chemical hazard because they cause oxytocin poisoning upon contact with date-sim VN poopsockers.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Chapter 86 is still best chapter in the series, bar none.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yui and Chihiro are the only options as both of those two are the only ones who have managed to throw Keima off his game.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dexo posted:

Yui and Chihiro are the only options as both of those two are the only ones who have managed to throw Keima off his game.

Akari also managed to throw Keima off-balance, by kissing Keima as though she were just pressing a button.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can't be the only one that just thinks the longer Keima is a child, the more TWGOK becomes a habit read.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't be the only one that just thinks the longer Keima is a child, the more TWGOK becomes a habit read.

It's been a great twist so far so I have no idea what you're talking about.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I would have agreed with you until Kaori went flying way past batshit crazy town and turned into perhaps the biggest threat to Keima so far.

I look forward to Keima getting back to the present to see how things go down with present Urara and Kaori. I really hope they don't just sweep those two under the rug.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Ayumi was hilarious when she played "marriage chicken" with Keima, and also refused to play along until he proclaimed his love for her.

Don't hate the player for following the rules, hate the (gal)game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chumbler posted:

I would have agreed with you until Kaori went flying way past batshit crazy town and turned into perhaps the biggest threat to Keima so far.

He's still seducing a 12(?) year old girl though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm kind of feeling that way. My friend has stopped checking new chapters entirely and he used to be very enthusiastic about it. I think he's hoping this mega arc will end not too long after S3 and he can just plow through it and give the next arc a try.

It does feel like this arc wasn't really planned out.

Kal-L posted:

Ayumi was hilarious when she played "marriage chicken" with Keima, and also refused to play along until he proclaimed his love for her.

Don't hate the player for following the rules, hate the (gal)game.

Marriage Chicken is the greatest trope, please give me more, Japan.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

I kind of agree. Especially if this is, as Kal-L noted, a "close the loop" thing, I can't help but feel that the whole arc is meaningless.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it was a mistake to keep Dokuro out of these escapades, but otherwise it's been a pretty fun with how crazy it's gotten.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I haven't found my interest waning, but I tend to be less put off by weird pacing then others. Though it doesn't really seem that different then the whole Goddess arc, which I found to be weaker then the first general capture arc.

HellCopter posted:

I kind of agree. Especially if this is, as Kal-L noted, a "close the loop" thing, I can't help but feel that the whole arc is meaningless.

While I can see where this point of view originates, altered time lines outside of the very ending of a series tend to be a billion times more annoying then showing how things came to be through a self contained loop.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Agreed, the series is still enjoyable but I kinda prefered the "monster of the week" style from before.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Petiso posted:

Agreed, the series is still enjoyable but I kinda prefered the "monster of the week" style from before.

I don't think the series can ever return to that format, after the whole Jupiter sisters / goddess arc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly, at this point I think the series is in the middle of struggling to figure out why it hasn't ended yet. The goddess arc pretty much fixed everything in the present, implicitly. It seems to be adding time travel pseudo-captures as a way to stall. So while I can't can't say I enjoy this as much as the earlier stuff, I'm not really sure what else it could do. At least it's trying to return to the capture paradigm that defines the series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Petiso posted:

With Kaori and Urara, isn't that kind of what this has settled upon? Just this time with a dash of the "main" plot mixed in as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The story was "fixed" in that the immediate threat of Vintage was halted, but it's clearly still a lot of the shadows that exist to come for revenge or start a new plan. I never thought the story was over as that would leave out a few plot strings out.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
A problem for me is that I was looking forward to how Keima was going to deal with the Goddess Squad once it was completely assembled, and then he immediately gets separated from them and plot is focused on a new cast of characters. My mindset has been "OK, let's wrap this up and get back to the present" the entire time.

A more selfish problem for me is no Yui.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The pacing does kind of feel like it's gone to poo poo. It used to feel like something was getting done every chapter. Not so much now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I think there really could be a place the manga could be going instead, an arc that I'd be interested in, and that would be a CONGRATULATIONS SHINJI IKARI arc. Seriously, I'd like to know more about what makes Wakaki tick, since he has mentioned before that he went through some rough times before starting up TWGOK, and I think I can see a lot of that in the few moments that Keima isn't...quite up to snuff.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Is there interest in a TWGOK anime thread? Episode 4 had some unintentionally hilarious voice acting. I think Tsukiyo's VA was, uhm, mis-directed on the, uhm, "sounds" to make during her angel wings scene.

Anyways, I thought the author said he had an idea of how this would all wrap up, but maybe he's been getting pressured to align the end with the end of the anime season which threw off the pacing of the original plan.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

TWGOK Anime Thread: Yui Goido Arc Memorial

AnacondaHL posted:

Episode 4 had some unintentionally hilarious voice acting. I think Tsukiyo's VA was, uhm, mis-directed on the, uhm, "sounds" to make during her angel wings scene.

Well, the godesses do get their power from love, right? v:v:v

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Anyways, I thought the author said he had an idea of how this would all wrap up, but maybe he's been getting pressured to align the end with the end of the anime season which threw off the pacing of the original plan.

What? Don't tell me the lovely anime is bleeding back into the manga somehow.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Zogundar posted:

What? Don't tell me the lovely anime is bleeding back into the manga somehow.

Nah, more like standard business practices. You can't have a manga end while it's anime is still airing. (source: Bakuman :v:)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/the_world_god_only_knows/en/0/238/

Chapter 238. Goddammit Keima, have this breakdown after you save the world. :argh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guess that's it for TWGOK. Been fun you guys.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The most dangerous temptation of the devil is persuading you that you're the devil, too. :smith:

Of course this could just be a ploy to get Tenri to root for him on her own accord!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Heavy lies the mantle of Godhood.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uh Keima? You still have a neck bomb around your shoulders! :ohdear:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

Uh Keima? You still have a neck bomb around your shoulders! :ohdear:

Does he at the moment though? I don't think he does.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
also the world will be destroyed if he messes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think it's probably just another ploy by Keima.

• Locked thread