Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Man, what are you guys on about?

Letting Tenri know she didn't have a chance wasn't cruelty, it was kindness. It made things easier on her, not harder. Compare the emotional rollercoaster that Ayumi had to go on because she didn't know it Keima was a lost cause, and how bitter she ended up about everything. Also consider that when he gave her that letter she was so young, she wasn't even really into him yet, I doubt it brought her world crashing down around her.

Keima was literally more of a dick to every single other goddess besides her. I mean, really, you guys didn't get that?

He probably could have worded it better than "you will never stand a chance" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Namtab posted:

He probably could have worded it better than "you will never stand a chance" though.

Yeah that's totally fair. I took that as just a part of the rushed ending and was alright with it because of that, but that's not really an in-universe excuse.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Keima's kind of a blunt rear end in a top hat. v:shobon:v

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Keima is incredibly intelligent and understands it's better for people to have a clean break rather than false hope.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Boogaleeboo posted:

Keima is incredibly intelligent and understands it's better for people to have a clean break rather than false hope.

He should've crushed 7 year-old Tenri hopes then or at least he should've told her personally.

And discounting how much of an rear end in a top hat Keima is there's a lot of problems with the ending itself:

- Why keep the goddesses on earth? (and that's if Diana wasn't the only one that stayed as an ultimate gently caress you to Tenri)
- What's gonna happen with Dokaido now?
- Urara and Kaori plots were a total waste of time
- The whole Ellie Deus Ex Machina thing
- Why Haqua and Nora are still on earth if the runaway squad went kaput
- How the gently caress is New Hell gonna work now...

gently caress, and I really liked this series :negative:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Elsie drove a huge spiritual fire engine around and neatly caught all the millions of runaway spirits that were in other places. She then made the fire engine alive so that he could prevent them from ever escaping, thus meaning the goddesses no longer had to be the barrier.

With there being no more need for the runaway squad Haqua and Nora are free to chill out and help that one lady with her deliveries. They wind up taking over that company.

The goddesses just chill with each other, goddesses like chilling out so no problems there.

I think that solves everything.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He should've crushed 7 year-old Tenri hopes then or at least he should've told her personally.

And discounting how much of an rear end in a top hat Keima is there's a lot of problems with the ending itself:

- Why keep the goddesses on earth? (and that's if Diana wasn't the only one that stayed as an ultimate gently caress you to Tenri)
- What's gonna happen with Dokaido now?
- The whole Ellie Deus Ex Machina thing
- Why Haqua and Nora are still on earth if the runaway squad went kaput
- How the gently caress is New Hell gonna work now...

gently caress, and I really liked this series :negative:

Tenri keeping Diana isn't really a gently caress you even if she was the only one. Was it not made obvious through out the entire series that Diana was the one who was in love with Keima far more than Tenri herself? That's why Diana was the one pushing and pushing and taking over Tenri's body to force the issue, also why she didn't get her wings until after Tenri told Diana about the contents of the Letter Keima gave her. Tenri had already accepted her eventual fate, and thus didn't go for it like the other goddesses hosts did. Tenri's love was shown by what she was willing to do to help Keima.

Dokaido no longer has to stay around to watch over Keima, as he's completed the game. As a human she's probably going to go do whatever it is humans do.

Elsie's thing was rushed and shoehorned in a bit, though their was some foreshadowing it just wasn't very good(Elsie getting attacked).

Haqua and Nora are still on earth because they were the ones fighting the big giant loving demons. They just forgot that Elsie ever existed. Elsie didn't retcon everything she just retconned her being a member of the runaway spirit squad.

The series was literally never about Nora or Haqua unless their paths crossed with whatever Keima was trying to do. They literally resolved the Hell plot in the Goddess arc in like a page and off panel in the middle of a chapter, and never speak of it again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That's my point, Wakaki could've put a few panels with Nora, Haqua and Rymuel leading New Hell, omit Diana appearance to imply the goddesses returned to heaven and just put all the former hosts hanging around without remembering Keima.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's my point, Wakaki could've put a few panels with Nora, Haqua and Rymuel leading New Hell, omit Diana appearance to imply the goddesses returned to heaven and just put all the former hosts hanging around without remembering Keima.

What happened with New Hell literally doesn't mean poo poo to Wakaki, New Hell only mattered when it crossed paths with Keima. Once Keima lost the necklace his contract was fulfilled, and thus New Hell no longer matters to the plot.

Just like what happened in that battle in the goddess arc didn't matter so it got rushed through.

He had a scene with Tenri because out of all of the girls, she was the only one who had any amount of development as a character. And was essentially the heroine of the series.

If Tenri has Diana it's safe to assume the other girls have theirs as well. It's just that Tenri and Diana have been together for years and years, So Diana talks to Tenri far more than the other Goddesses talk to their host.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I don't know why anyone thinks Diana still being with Tenri is any kind of "gently caress you" to her.

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/the_world_god_only_knows/en/0/268/page/25

Unless I'm reading her words wrong, Diana is explicitly saying she's going to stay with Tenri until Tenri can find her own happiness. There's also nothing to suggest that the other goddesses are even still around since we don't see them. I feel like this is Diana choosing to stay with Tenri for the time being.

I agree that it feels rushed, but it could have been so much worse. Personally, I can't wait to see what Wakaki is going to do next.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Diana and Tenri are best friends. It would be pretty cruel if she left. Diana almost certainly means more to Tenri than Keima does, because they've spent the last ten years together.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Diana is explicitly saying she's going to stay with Tenri until Tenri can find her own happiness

Spoilers: Tenri will never be happy

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I'm not sure I buy the idea that "New Hell doesn't matter Wakaki doesn't care" considering he went to the trouble of making a series of encoded glyphs/writing for their language and stuffed those easter eggs everywhere.

Maybe he stopped caring. Maybe someone was behind him with a gun saying "That's right, big smile, everybody's happy" when he announced the end. I honestly don't know which, but I wouldn't rule out either.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Zogundar posted:

I'm not sure I buy the idea that "New Hell doesn't matter Wakaki doesn't care" considering he went to the trouble of making a series of encoded glyphs/writing for their language and stuffed those easter eggs everywhere.

Maybe he stopped caring. Maybe someone was behind him with a gun saying "That's right, big smile, everybody's happy" when he announced the end. I honestly don't know which, but I wouldn't rule out either.

Not so much not matter to Wakaki as not matter to the story being told, Keima never interacted with it directly so it is outside the narrative. Like his Dad, it has effects on the story but actually seeing either is not an integral part of the Story being told.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The only ending that matters and didn't happen is Elsie getting herself a fire truck. Everything else is not important. :colbert:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Man that was an abrupt ending. The thing with Elsie felt like it was a huge thing that could spiral anywhere, hinted at for weeks when she disappeared, and it was wrapped up within half an issue.

Actually pretty much everything after Kaori felt like nonsense. I loved the past arc, but once that was resolved it was like 6 months of just... nothing. Grown up Dokurou was cool, but there was nothing else at all.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Petiso posted:

Sure, it's possible, but that's not how it usually works. If you have a series that's been going at glacial pace for months suddenly rushing for the ending while awkardly trying to fit undeveloped plot points (yes, Elsie) editorial meddling is a lot more plausible than an author outburst.

I suspect that the editorial meddling was in *extending* the series in the first place. It seemed pretty clear that Wakaki expected to end it at the end of the Goddesses release.

I do agree that the pacing has been glacially slow since then.

Sad really. Pacing had been one of Wakaki's strong points--he had a real gift for closing a thread at almost exactly the right time.

He could have put in some very nice storylines while still heading to the ending.

Shrug. That doesn't bode well for a new series though ...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Elsie was a better Kanon than Kanon ever was. gently caress Kanon's inexplicable popularity.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
So, the series finally ended. And hell yeah for Chihiro ending; She was my favorite of the lot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Started reading this on a recommendation recently, about 50 chapters in and it's a real fun read so far! I still think the premise is pretty creepy/weird(wooing them, saving them with a kiss, and then they forget everything, though maybe that will change with recent "revelations"? Probably not) but it's still amusing and the cutesy way Elsie goes super-deformed is hilarious. Also her obsession with fire trucks.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

You're in luck because it gets better. ('till around chapter 189).
I'm interested in hearing your opinion on the final arc after that as you can blitz through it without waiting and I'm wondering how that affects it.

I'd recommend watching the anime as well. Maybe after chapter 189.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
As a butthurt little bitch I'd suggest to stop reading after chapter 189 though :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it's not on the retroactively series-ruining level of Usagi Drop's manga finale arc, I will probably just finish it since I tend to not leave things unread.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nah, it's just obviously rushed. Well, it'll start out slow, doing the usual thing of building and setting up plot points, and then suddenly the plot speeds to the ending the moment the manga is announced to be ending.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's unfortunate but not the end of the world.

Just finished chapter 64, it'd be nice to have another more constant character aside from Elsie, Katsuragi, and mom. And she has a neat gimmick. Nora and Ryou seem to be the Team Rocket for TWGOK, wonder if they'll show up a bunch. I really liked the sudden shift to Elsie returning home to hell and interacting naturally with most everyone too.

Still cute, and Elsie still rules. :allears:

Edit, it's exposition time, it's exposition time!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 4, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Captain Invictus posted:

That's unfortunate but not the end of the world.

Just finished chapter 64, it'd be nice to have another more constant character aside from Elsie, Katsuragi, and mom. And she has a neat gimmick. Nora and Ryou seem to be the Team Rocket for TWGOK, wonder if they'll show up a bunch. I really liked the sudden shift to Elsie returning home to hell and interacting naturally with most everyone too.

Still cute, and Elsie still rules. :allears:

Edit, it's exposition time, it's exposition time!

I'm enjoying your updates as a new reader, please keep posting them. :) I'd also be interested to hear what you think of the various girls, who you think is interesting/lame/etc.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Poor ramen girl gets forgotten

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HiveCommander posted:

Poor ramen girl gets forgotten

Just finished that one and it really reminded me of Ranma with the awful food. It was a good one but a bit disposable and had too little Elsie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Keima throwing up his own skull from being so mortified at Elsie's terrible explanation of what his job is to Diana got me guffawing. I don't really like him as a character but his reactions are priceless.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure when it happened specifically but I think Keima grew into a pretty decent lead. Mostly with how he was so much more competent and genre savvy about everything than anyone else. I want to say this really amped up during the goddess arc.

By the way, the first two seasons of the anime are very good and worth watching even if you're reading the manga. Or at least for the OPs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Body swap storyline, this is about the point I'd say a series is running out of ideas, but I figure there's plenty more good stuff ahead past this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Body swap storyline, this is about the point I'd say a series is running out of ideas, but I figure there's plenty more good stuff ahead past this.

Best Arc, Best Girl.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Best Arc, Best Girl.

I don't follow the anime, did that arc get the treatment it deserves? Really just the best.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

cafel posted:

I don't follow the anime, did that arc get the treatment it deserves? Really just the best.

Nope it was skipped over to get to the goddess arc

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
We needed a Yui spinoff instead of a Kanon one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

If you don't love Yui and Girl Keima then how do you live with yourself?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

cafel posted:

It got approximately 20 seconds of Keima saying something like "I captured Yui, we swapped bodies but I succeeded in the end" or something along those lines. gently caress the third anime.

Man I miss this manga. It may have lost its way a little but I never stopped loving it.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 5, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ActionZero posted:

It got approximately 20 seconds of Keima saying something like "I captured Yui, we swapped bodies but I succeeded in the end" or something along those lines.

gently caress the third anime.

The third anime was really good :colbert:
Then again, I don't particularly care about Yui or any other girl outside of Haqua, Ayumi, Tenri and Kanon v:v:v

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The third anime was really good :colbert:
Then again, I don't particularly care about Yui or any other girl outside of Haqua, Ayumi, Tenri and Kanon v:v:v

To this day I do not understand what people like about Ayumi or Kanon.

Also not liking Yui is an objectively wrong opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Best Arc, Best Girl.

Yeah after reading it it was actually really good for a body swap thing. Most of them are really bland but that was fantastic and has the best ending.

Great reaction faces :allears:

I love the tamagotchi-mouth faces the artist draws.

• Locked thread