Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
This series really is much better then it has any right to be based on its premise. It's one of those series that I have a hard time recommending to people because after I setup the basics of the plot I get looked at the kind of way that makes me interject 'No, really, it's good!' It's got some really nice humour and a good to decent plot with nice pacing. The thing that really saves it is that the characters for the most part manage to play with or at least sidestep most of the cliche pitfalls you find in this type of genre, with the main character being the most prominent example.

My theory is that the creator managed to skimmed off all the bad stuff from the main series, but ran out of space to store it and had to cram all of it into the Kanon spin-off, which is easily some of the most inane, terrible poo poo I have ever read (which I guess shows that I don't read very widely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

I have to hand it to this manga, I never have any idea of where it's going to go next.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It would be completly amazing if thanks to this we end up with a confident Tenri not that different to Yui :haw:

Actually things probably happened exactly this way originally in a giant loop just like the Dokuro bit. Remember this whole send Keima to the past thing kicked off when Tenri told the goddesses about something from her past. She probably remembers all of this happened in addition to the school trip and it all plays into the thing she has for Keima.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Krinkle posted:

These feel way too short. Is this one of those series that's released inside a larger magazine?

I don't think they feel that short for a weekly. 18-20 pages is pretty standard. I think the week we missed a short time ago probably helped make things feel a bit slow.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

failedninja posted:

To be fair the artist does have this habit of stretching short conversations across multiple pages and filling it up with silly expressions and game references. I don't mind, since the expressions can keep me preoccupied for quite some time, but not much actually happened in this chapter.

Eh, I'm not really contesting that because this kind of thing is subjective, but a couple things happened. We found out who is behind the weirdness at the school and why they're doing it and it was established that Tenri is strangely unaffected. Based on this Keima has put a plan into motion to subvert Vintage and we get at least a rough sketch of what he plans. I guess I like the more relaxed and goofy flow a bit better then trying to cram the set up and more then the initial bit of the plan into a single chapter, but to each their own.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Or maybe... not? I guess? :shrug:

Unless ANN is misreporting I'm not sure how this is going to work with all the stuff before it they have to cover first.

Maybe they're skipping all or most of those conquests. A bunch of them aren't important to the overall plot, but they'll need to cover Tsukiyo and Yui before starting the Goddess arc and that would still make for a very cramped 3rd Season. And it would be too bad if they cut the swimmer, I thought her chapters were really neat because of the shift to the conquests point of view.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Zogundar posted:

The rumor mill about the 3rd season has it that it's going to skip all of the conquests after the end of season 2 and just go straight into the Goddess arc (And probably just be 12 episodes long.)

Someone please say it ain't so. There's enough material there for like a good 60+ episodes (Counting all seasons.)

Also they aren't getting Rie Kugimiya to do Tsukiyo, dammit

That's kinda impossible if they want to include all the goddesses. Unless Tsukiyo and Yui just kind of show up out of nowhere.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Amazingly Capable posted:

Why the hell was Tenri's oxygen tank connected to her gloves and boots? Is this some kind of modern avant-garde moe? Is it okay for Keima to be bringing all this future moe technology back to the past? I'm worried about the stability of the timeline here.

Keima's actions here are the inspiration for the wider moe movement of our time. He has doomed us all to watch lovely anime with his closed loop time travel shenanigans.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

sunburnedcrow posted:

New chapter is up

Wait, we have evil clones too?! What is going on? :psyduck:

Doesn't seem to far fetched for Vintage to have a close eye on the event and figured out something is up with Kiema and Tenri. Not much of a stretch to use magic to take on Kiema's appearance to lure away Tenri.

Always nice to see Kiema cutting through the plot so quickly with his quick analysis of the situation. Such a refreshing contrasts to the oblivious protagonists who have obvious flags right in front of their faces.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Rodyle posted:

http://blog.wakakitamiki.coolblog.jp/?eid=1311103

As usual, the Japanese make the wrong choices.

Kanon at number one justifies all the irrational irritation I have had with Japan. Christ, she's done all of one thing in the series and that was to be struck with a near fatal injury. I shake my head at Haqua too, but at least she's done something and had some character traits sketched out.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Zogundar posted:

If that's the case then I guess the next question is, when does this sort of thing appear in the games he's been playing?? (I mean I can kind of see the Doctor one if it's a school nurse or something, if not for the pipe part, I'd think smoking would be a no no.. regardless of where, what kind of Doctors are allowed to smoke on the job??) Followed by, what difference does it make what kind of house it is?

It makes a bit more sense if by "mistress" they mean "young mistress," you know, someone more like Yui and not a literal mistress, but figuring out what they really mean would probably mean digging up the raws and- :unsmigghh:

Don't know about the Western Mistress bit, but strong/predatory female doctor/scientist who smokes is a decently common archetype in anime stuff. They're not related to school settings so much, usually they run a clinic. Often they practice Chinese medicine for an excuse to have them in the Chinese style dresses, the pipe thing plays into this. I don't play dating sims, so I'm not exactly sure how they'd work in a game setting, but they are an anime/manga thing.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Sonata Mused posted:

I have never understood why people like Chihiro.

I find the idea of a character who's gimmick is that they have no gimmick amidst a see of insane gimmick characters to be charmingly quaint.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

So...you enjoy meta characters?

Aren't most of the characters in this series kind of meta? It's about a dude who plays a lot of dating sims who then goes on to detachedly court a bunch of anime stereotypes. The whole thing is an exercise in meta.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

I haven't found my interest waning, but I tend to be less put off by weird pacing then others. Though it doesn't really seem that different then the whole Goddess arc, which I found to be weaker then the first general capture arc.

HellCopter posted:

I kind of agree. Especially if this is, as Kal-L noted, a "close the loop" thing, I can't help but feel that the whole arc is meaningless.

While I can see where this point of view originates, altered time lines outside of the very ending of a series tend to be a billion times more annoying then showing how things came to be through a self contained loop.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Heavy lies the mantle of Godhood.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Skychrono posted:

Hey all. I don't see a thread for the anime so I'll try to ask here and avoid spoilers...

The goddesses anime is almost over and it's pretty great. About how far past that is the manga? And are the parts they skipped worth reading? Thanks!

The manga looks to be somewhere between three fourths and almost a full arc ahead of the anime. The bits they skipped over are definitely worth reading, it includes arguably one of the best captures in the entire series.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

buzmeg posted:

While Keima has been shown with lots of empathy lately, I'm kind of hoping that he doesn't follow through in this case and actually lets her burn.

Man, that'd really show that ten year old girl. I mean she's a bitch, but let's keep some perspective here.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Kal-L posted:

First heroine is always the best. :colbert: But the Yui ending would also be hilarious.

Technically she wasn't the first. Elsie ending best ending.:getin: Not really.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Elsie continues to be amazing any moment she gets screen time.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

paragon1 posted:

No poo poo Sherlock.

No, I'm pretty sure that the series is shifting gears and every chapter we'll have several grisly deaths of long time established characters. Expect Keima to go in the next chapter.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

pointlessone posted:

Well, that's one way to end it, that's for sure.

Some sort of inverted nice boat ending? Keima really, really just wanted to be left alone with his games.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Dexo posted:

I haven't been to /a/ in years but haha, I havent seen them so butthurt since Onani Master Kurowsawa

Wait how could they be upset over that? Even though overall I'm satisfied with the way TWGOK is wrapping up no one can denied it's rushed and could probably have been done better with just a few more chapters to even out the pacing. Onani Master Kurowsawa was pretty great throughout though and I thought the ending was pretty rad.

Also Chihiro End is pretty great. This series is my anime kryptonite, I care way too much about it.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Man, I find that /a/ stuff so bizarre. I mean for a while this was one of the manga series I enjoyed reading the most, and while it had been in a slump for a while I still followed it closely and enjoyed the ending, but I can't imagine getting this invested in who Keima ends up with. But then again I've always had a soft spot for Chihiro.

I honestly don't feel bad for most of the girls because they're in their teens, they'll get over it, but man, what the hell is Dokurou even going to do now? Can't go really go back to New Hell since she's human, has no family and probably not a hell of a lot of close friends because for her entire human existence she's been focusing on keeping watch over Keima and the Goddesses. It's a bit of a bummer.'

edit: Oh drat, we don't ever see what happens to Kaori, do we? I'm just going to assume Keima wrecked her so hard she just kinda of faded out of the fabric of the story.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A real world where demons and goddesses walk among mankind :v:

But seriously, the thing what happened with Chihiro is something that happens to everyone she would've gotten better eventually. Tenri has to live now with a goddess inside her as a permament memento of her failed first love. Dick move.

Alas, the heart wants what it wants. Or wants as the author dictates in this case.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Best Arc, Best Girl.

I don't follow the anime, did that arc get the treatment it deserves? Really just the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

TWGOK has pretty much no right to be as good as it is considering its premise.

Yeah, when a friend first recommended it to me I thought it was a round about way of calling me an rear end in a top hat. Do I look like the kind of guy who wants to read a series about a gaming nerd tricking anime girl stereotypes into liking him? What the gently caress?

• Locked thread