Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

sunburnedcrow posted:

New chapter is up

Wait, we have evil clones too?! What is going on? :psyduck:

Probably a demon from vintage using magic. I mean, if Elsie can do all this stuff then presumably anyone else could too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

And with the horrifying consequence of having the misconception he's either an alien explorer or a cheeky young crossdresser.

He is a cheeky young crossdresser though. I mean, she doesn't know what his plan is exactly, but it's pretty clear he has one, and is willing to crossdress for it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Western almost certainly means "European" in this context. A European-style house would refer to the architecture, as in anything not traditionally Japanese.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zogundar posted:

If that's the case then I guess the next question is, when does this sort of thing appear in the games he's been playing?? (I mean I can kind of see the Doctor one if it's a school nurse or something, if not for the pipe part, I'd think smoking would be a no no.. regardless of where, what kind of Doctors are allowed to smoke on the job??) Followed by, what difference does it make what kind of house it is?

It makes a bit more sense if by "mistress" they mean "young mistress," you know, someone more like Yui and not a literal mistress, but figuring out what they really mean would probably mean digging up the raws and- :unsmigghh:

They're not on the job 100% of the time, are they? Anyway, the way I imagine such a character is basically the same as Hinoki. An "adult" who looks down on you as a kid and doesn't take you seriously as a love interest. She's in control of her career, her emotions, and her life. Back in that arc he was making a big deal of bringing them to the same level, but ultimately he failed to woo her and had to rely on her connection to her sister. S-rank difficulty. Smoking is just symbolic of adulthood, and a pipe is more playful than a cigarette. I wouldn't take the doctor part too literally either.

As for the second, I think comparing it to Yui basically explains why he emphasizes "Western". An "Eastern" equivalent would be soft-spoken and submissive, like Yui was originally. Because those are considered traditional Eastern values. By contrast a Western mistress of the house is expected to be domineering, bossy, and maybe a bit sadistic. Keep in mind that we're on the "queen" scale.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mio was actually the first girl. Her name was Tsumagawa Mio back in the one-shot/basically pilot-chapter of the series back in 2007.

The pilot chapter is non-canon though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, at this point I think the series is in the middle of struggling to figure out why it hasn't ended yet. The goddess arc pretty much fixed everything in the present, implicitly. It seems to be adding time travel pseudo-captures as a way to stall. So while I can't can't say I enjoy this as much as the earlier stuff, I'm not really sure what else it could do. At least it's trying to return to the capture paradigm that defines the series.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Woah, they removed Fiore? Awesome, I hated her on the manga since she was just another big bad wannabe and an awful character. That being said, the another Vintage gal isn't better but at least she has more personality.

Fiore is kind of pointless on her own, but without her to react to both Haqua and Nora are less interesting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

buzmeg posted:

While Keima has been shown with lots of empathy lately, I'm kind of hoping that he doesn't follow through in this case and actually lets her burn.

He'll probably just take off her collar and prevent her from getting possessed by a ghost, but leave her with the crippling emotional problems. Recall that this current arc is supposed to be him setting up his future conquests: cutting her off here means he won't be obliged to "fill her heart" in the future.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm... actually kind of surprised that I called it. Take off the collar but leave her suffering.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, that was mostly a waste of a chapter. I didn't expect them to treat that as some kind of cliffhanger revelation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zogundar posted:

That bugged me too. It felt like a ret-con. Now it sounds more like a senpai-kouhai relationship. That's mostly one sided wishful thinking.

I don't think so. In the full context of the story, it sounds like they were raised together in the same orphanage (with Akari being the daughter of the person running it). This isn't a coworker relationship or a senpai-kouhai relationship, but an honest "adoptive family" relationship.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

First two seasons were just bad. Maybe watchable, but nothing special. They systematically took out everything good about the manga in various small ways like poor music choice and comedic timing. It's really no surprise that they did poorly: their sales are pretty much exactly what they deserved.

The third season cut out a bunch of stuff, but honestly most of what they cut was a good choice in order to preserve the one thing they did well: which was put all the focus on the dramatic and compelling Chihiro sub-plot. People who were "meh" on the first two seasons absolutely loved the third because it finally did something right (they do comedy wrong). They cut out Fiore because she was a minor character who ultimately served no purpose whatsoever. If that's your complaint then you're being nothing but a manga purist who wants everything exactly the same as the manga, despite the fact that blindly following the manga with poor direction and pacing is what made the first two series fail in the first place.

The third season was hardly perfect (and cutting out Fiore left a small plot hole that would have been simple to fill, except they didn't bother), but its failings can probably be attributed to being the third sequel of something, meaning less people are willing to give it a chance. Not because they skipped your personal favorite scene or whatever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've been reading since chapter 1, and this arc has definitely been a low point for the series. The pacing is glacial, character development was kept in stasis after the end of the goddess arc and only started up again very recently, and the whole thing just feels like it's killing time. I guess I appreciate where the plot went with explaining Keima as the mastermind behind everything, but that definitely could have happened in way less chapters. And the stuff about Satyr just feels like the author trying desperately for the story not to end immediately now that goddesses are awake and powered up.

I guess the short answer is that I feel like we're in an extended epilogue. The plot "ended" at the end of the goddess arc, and all that's left are a number of minor loose ends that are very very slowly being cleared up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

I guess I don't get how Vintage controlling New Hell is a minor plot point because even the fully-charged Goddesses can't do anything to them.

Uh... who says? It was implied earlier that they sort of single-handedly ended the war and sealed the bad guys. There's certainly no indication that they're too weak.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like if Wakaki had planned to give Chihiro a better ending than that he probably wouldn't have immediately ignored her for 50 chapters of time travel shenanigans. Maybe she'll come up again for a happy ending, but it would have been fairly easy at that point to make her a regular, and he chose not to.

I agree though that the recent revelations aren't quite bad enough to be asspulls or anything, and it follows fairly logically from what we already knew, it just seems like it's not substantial enough to support the amount of chapters devoted to it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 14, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zogundar posted:

I mean jeez, Elsie barely even got any spotlight in that arc! You're telling me it was supposed to end with her off fighting in the Great Spice Wars? :colbert:

Err... yes? What exactly do you expect from a comic relief character?

And what loose ends were there going forward, rather than looking backwards? What problems were there left unsolved? The only conflict came from the post-facto revelation that Vintage was merely one arm of something even bigger, but that wasn't foreshadowed at all, nor is it particularly relevant. Lune was left unaccounted for, but she didn't need to be, if she was captured along with the rest of Vintage it wouldn't have felt unusual.

The rest of the stuff (what's up with the teacher and Akari, who set it up so Keima would meet the goddesses, what did Tenri tell Diana) is all backward looking, and that's exactly what led to this "answer arc" involving time travel. But, ultimately, nothing was accomplished other than what had already been accomplished. And nothing could because that's the nature of time travel. We already got our "happy ending" but there were some questions remaining about how it happened. Which were recently answered through what I've been calling an "extended epilogue". But we still already had our happy ending! That hasn't changed. There is no threat being posed to the powered-up goddesses, and no particular plans in motion by our faceless villains. There is quite simply nothing for the narrative to fight against, and no reason to believe that things won't work out "okay" in the future. They all lived happily ever after.

Well, that's not quite true, especially since we now have this artificial tension about whether or not Lune will interfere with Keima's time travel plans. But ultimately there's only tension here because he's trying to get back to the "happy ending" which can't exist without him. The fact that getting him back is so important isn't because there's anything they need him to do in the present, it's just because it's a loose end created by the time travel arc that needs to be tied up. The villain's known plan has been thwarted, the doom machine has been stopped, but then they pulled themselves up from the floor, beaten and bloodied, and taken the love interest hostage in one last desperate stand. There's tension, sure, and it creates a final dramatic moment, but it's just putting off the good ending that's already been achieved. You don't spend 50 chapters on that final, secondary, confrontation.

Now, I guess some people have been assuming without any evidence whatsoever that the goddesses will somehow need to further help to super awaken and super stop the plans of super Vintage, but honestly that's kind of contrived. That might happen if Wakaki wants to keep extending the series, but I don't really see what it would add to it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 14, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure you can really call Keima's state at the end of the goddess arc "happy".

That's why "happy ending" was in quotes, but there's nothing wrong with a bittersweet ending. It's not like the series made use of that either: he switched naturally back into seduction-robot mode for most of the time travel arc until he suddenly had a secondary breakdown that honestly should have happened earlier. That's what I meant by character development being kept in stasis. And of course he's no closer to being happy now than he was then, unless his trust of Tenri turns out to have had a profound effect on him that he doesn't bother showing in any way. And if he does show it by, say, apologizing to Chihiro when he gets back then we suddenly have our perfect happy ending.

IE: extended epilogue.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

And going further on that, I think there was a chapter in this arc that put this state in the spotlight. That's gotta count for something now, right? ...Right?

I did like that part, but it doesn't make the rest of the arc retroactively better.

Uh... I'd like to note that I'm not trying to say the whole thing was terrible or even unnecessary, but mostly that it was poorly paced. I feel like it could have been resolved in much fewer chapters in a much more satisfying way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Elite posted:

Really what has changed through 50 chapters of time-travel? Uhh well we got a backstory for Dokkaido and we learned a little about Tenri. 50 chapters!

Arguably Deus Ex Grandpa is important too. Sort of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

They are not going to kill off the second most important character in the comic just like that, calm down folks.

I'm extremely interested in where this is going but so little is happening every week! It's frustrating.

Uh... Elsie hasn't been important for a long time, and even before that she was fairly replaceable. Although I wouldn't expect her to die here anyway. She probably just disappeared because the future disappeared, and she's a part of the future. So she's exactly as dead as the old man, Keima's mother, and every single other person on the planet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

What? That's great, but how? I thought it said the next issue comes out March 5th!

The version we read on the internet often comes out before the magazine is actually published. Early scans are leaked fairly consistently.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I agree that three chapters is plenty to get a satisfying ending. This isn't an action series, so we don't need to spend any time on Satyr, and it's not really a romance either so I doubt we'll get kind of conclusion on that front (which I guess you could also say is the "choose no one... yet" ending). They'll pull him back to the future, fix the world with magical magic, and have an epilogue of some sort that with appropriate emotional weight (probably by seeing the rest of the letter). The End.

I really don't mind the premise behind the time travel/child Keima arc, but it really should've been half as long or so. The "captures" contained within it seem a bit thrown in and peripheral, so less time should have been spent on them, even if they ultimately provided meaningful allies necessary to advance the plot (Deus ex Grampa and Dokuro).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zogundar posted:

Both the 3 chapters thing and the idea that the last volume would have a few extra are educated guesses. So are extra length chapters. The first chapter was roughly 3-4 times a normal chapter's length after all.

Yeah, but there was a pitched battle going on. There was build up with Sinister Figures and Ominous Foreshadowing. Now.. I think some monsters attacked.. something? For some reason? And someone is probably responsible?

Super-Vintage. Or whatever. Lune's the only member with a face though, so for our purposes she's the leader, and she's down for now at least. It's simple enough for the Goddesses the magic away any arbitrary number of faceless monsters in a montage or off-panel entirely. This is quite simply not something the readers should expect to care about.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HiveCommander posted:

There's no doubt, it's coming to a close. I'd like it to continue on longer, but a part of me knows that there's not much more to be done with the series. This chapter's really convinced me that we'll get an Ayumi end, but I like the energetic types so I'm ok with that. Poor Chihibros, things were looking pretty promising for you guys over the last 100 chapters.

I have never once considered an Ayumi ending as a serious possibility, and nothing in this chapter convinced me otherwise. Isn't it pretty much evenly spread out over the goddess hosts? A "no one" ending is way more likely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HiveCommander posted:

She's been getting a lot of events. After the 'wedding' I thought that she was a very solid contender, alongside Tenri. Ayumi getting a fairly big writeup in Keima's letter was another hint of favouritism, and her tsun attitude to bringing Keima back in this chapter... We should all know that tsundere first main heroines usually win.

Ayumi got the biggest "finale" because of her place within the Goddess arc, but nothing about that made her seem any more important to Keima (in fact, he said "I don't love you" during the only moment where he promised to be honest). And the arc itself was actually about Chihiro.

As for the letter, she got a relatively large section because Tenri was showing that part to her. I mean, obviously the fact that we went out of our way to show Ayumi being uncooperative puts her above most of the other goddesses, but they were never important (sorry Yui fans). I guess she's slightly below Tenri now in narrative importance, except from the perspective of Keima she lacks the crucial "someone I trust" factor. Although I suppose that could be remedied quickly if necessary. I think it's far far more likely though that Keima isn't romantically interested in anyone. He called them all his "friends" in the letter after all. Incidentally, Ayumi was unceremoniously grouped into that category with no distinction.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

As far as I can tell, we just got Elsie's secret origin story which has nothing to do with the rest of the story and doesn't really change how we perceive her character either. I feel like the author had this written out in his notes from a long time ago but never got a chance to work it into the narrative.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The implication I get from that (not having read the whole thing), is that he'd wanted to end it for a while now but people kept telling him to extend while it was popular. Which is a compliment, sort of, but he still wants to end it. Maybe I'm projecting my own feelings on the matter though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

As a Chihiro fan I'm fairly unmoved because of the awkward execution, but as an anti-Ayumi fan I'm super excited to see people's dreams crushed. Sorry.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

Part of me is hoping that she turns him down if only for the shitstorm it would generate in some of the fan base.

I think that would be the best ending, honestly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Now that I actually thought a little about this chapter Kind of a dick move towards Tenri, she waited ten loving years and was instrumental for everything to happen and this girl who knows Keima for a year tops, is the true heroine

Depends on what he wrote to her in the letter, doesn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if he told her his true feelings towards Chihiro and let her down gently from the very beginning. She's always been characterized as not really trying to win, much to the annoyance of Diana.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

pinegala posted:

What's the significance of this again? I can't remember since Diana disappeared x chapters ago

Way back in the Goddess Arc, Diana was bugged that all the other goddess hosts were getting wings from their love power. The fact that Tenri hadn't implied to her that Tenri's love was less powerful, which contradicted her worldview. During the climax of the arc Tenri told her *something* offscreen which prompted a "why didn't you say anything earlier?!" and gave her wings. In retrospect, she obviously divulged the contents of the letter.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A lot of people view (harem) romance stories as competitions, and they root for their favorite characters while ignoring what the characters themselves may think. There's a certain type of person who thinks that Chihiro is boring, which is a reasonable opinion on its own, but then extrapolates that to mean that Chihiro shouldn't "win" because she doesn't deserve to. Because the reader doesn't enjoy her screentime. The series becomes strictly a popularity contest and the narrative falls to the wayside.

These people should be pitied and rehabilitated. Honestly this way of thinking is derived from the sorts of games that the series itself parodies, so while it's not a surprise that they ended up interested in TWGOK it also implies that they failed to appreciate it in the metafictional way it's obviously designed for.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Knowing the real Keima is only half the battle anyway. Keima has never indicated that he cared about Haqua at all, and in fact kind of hates her for never giving him information he needs. Although you could argue that he originally treated Chihiro the same way.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 12, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Diana and Tenri are best friends. It would be pretty cruel if she left. Diana almost certainly means more to Tenri than Keima does, because they've spent the last ten years together.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Unfortunately, I think there's a good argument to be made that it's all downhill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Razzled posted:

Sorry this is the manga thread but I just finished watching the anime version and there doesn't seem to be a thread for that. But man it was just way better than it had any right to be, the series overall is just inexplicably good. Does the manga extend beyond the anime at all or do they wrap up in the same way?

Basically all the ending parts with Chihiro were crazy sad! I'm so glad I accidentally stumbled on this though, I'm not even sure how...

There's a really long arc after where the anime left off, but while it has its high points I don't think it adds that much to the series overall. If you're going to read the manga though you should probably start from the beginning or the end of the 2nd season to catch up on all the stuff they skipped.

• Locked thread