Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Rodyle posted:

Remember when this was about dating sim parodies?

Pretty sure that making the school wallflower into The Most Popular Girl on Campus(tm) is a galge staple.

You need to play more games ... :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

organism posted:

Maybe I missed something but the number reflects the strength of their desires, right? But the kids are mistaking it to be a popularity ranking? Since Tenri still doesn't have a ranking after beating the bully girl, comedy duo and now child model, how is she going to be number one (and thereby mess up Vintage's plan) if a ranking doesn't show up on her?

Elsie made a fake ranking on her ...

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/170925/the-world-god-only-knows_ch228_by_red-hawk-scans/7

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Quixzlizx posted:

"I really don't like this heroine."

While Keima has been shown with lots of empathy lately, I'm kind of hoping that he doesn't follow through in this case and actually lets her burn.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

cafel posted:

Man, that'd really show that ten year old girl. I mean she's a bitch, but let's keep some perspective here.

Um, as Keima points out, she gleefully handed lots of innocent girls over to the devils without a second thought. There's stupid things kids do and then there's intentionally sociopathic.

While some previous conquests had difficult personalities, they did not consciously cause their infestation nor did they intentionally subject others to it.

This is not true of Kaori. She inflicted the infestation on others knowing what was going to happen and wound up in this situation because she was not sufficiently wary.

Keima is going to save her ... but it would sure be a more interesting twist if he actually can't/won't.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Well, there's a bit of Chekov's Gun here. There aren't many main characters remaining that haven't been fairly fleshed out.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
You know, I'm really not liking this arc so far. And, I kinda haven't liked things in a while.

This manga was at its best when things were going *GLORIOUSLY* wrong and you had to sit and think "Holy crap. Keima is so in over his head." followed by "Holy crap. He has *zero* shame. That's AWESOME."

I haven't had that feeling in a while.

I almost hope that Vintage blows up, everything falls into a terrible heap, and Keima has to desperately apply the gaming world to make it all work out.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Looking back ... I didn't realize how slow the current pacing has gotten.

In the first 50 chapters we had:

Setup, Elsie, Ayumi 1, Mio, Kanon 1, Shiori, Kusonoki, Hakua 1, Chihiro 1, Nagase, Tsukiyo, and Hakua 2 *AND* 5 or 6 throwaways (Strawberry Cake, Birthday of KeiMom, Website, etc.)

Dang.

Edit: Forgot Ayumi 1

buzmeg fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 14, 2014

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Nate RFB posted:

They are not going to kill off the second most important character in the comic just like that, calm down folks.

I'm extremely interested in where this is going but so little is happening every week! It's frustrating.

Gotta admit I'm probably gonna demote this from weekly anticipation to the wait and binge list.

I stuck around for Lelouch-level "You need to play more games" fabulousness that just hasn't been present for a while.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
I'm actually hoping that Keima only partially succeeds in the past. So, a different set of girls have goddesses and when he goes back the world is completely different.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Um, Keima actually *married* Ayumi back about 187 (geeze, has it really been almost 2 *years* since that), no?

Anyway. The fact that this is going to end in 3 or so more episodes is disappointing, but this dropped off my must read list a while ago. Ever since we went time arc it just hasn't had the same level of ... drive?

Which is a shame, there were some great possibilities to subvert the cliches, and I was looking forward to it. However, Wakaki seems to have lost his sense of comedic timing that let him get away with running the cliches into the ground and out the other side.

He probably should have just closed it out at 189.

buzmeg fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 18, 2014

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

cafel posted:

Some sort of inverted nice boat ending? Keima really, really just wanted to be left alone with his games.

Actually, there are lots of different ways to make that work well.

All the girls forget about Keima, but he doesn't forget about them. He gets to go back to his life before it all happened and go back to his games ...

But puts the PFP down and walks out the door ... to everyone's surprise.

Honestly, I foresee him winding up with none of girls. It's pretty clear that Keima was never intended to wind up with any of them in a happy way. Wakaki has been tormenting poor Keima with this for a while now. And Japan *loves* its depressing, duty-over-love story endings ...

About the happiest ending I can envision is Keima goes back to story start with the exception that he actually keeps Elsea as his younger sister. And maybe Kei-Dad finally comes back home.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And according to Wakaki's blog, he's ending the series on his terms since people wanted for him to continue. :psyduck:

Well, it may be that what they actually want is "More Kanon". If that's the case, I'm happy for him to end it. (Now, if he'd bring back psycho, stun-gun girl Kanon, or Elsie as incompetent Kanon, that might be okay ... but I'll pass on generic idol Kanon).

But, what is it with the Japanese and depressing endings?

Keima gets pulled out of his gaming life, which, by all accounts, he is really happy with. He then saves a bunch of girls hearts while simultaneously getting his hurt a little more each time. He saves the world while he destroys the heart of the girl who actually likes him while crushing his own.

And this all appears to be rushing to a bad end.

Can't the guy at least have a happy ending? At least have everybody forget about his actions so he can restart from Step 1.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Petiso posted:

Sure, it's possible, but that's not how it usually works. If you have a series that's been going at glacial pace for months suddenly rushing for the ending while awkardly trying to fit undeveloped plot points (yes, Elsie) editorial meddling is a lot more plausible than an author outburst.

I suspect that the editorial meddling was in *extending* the series in the first place. It seemed pretty clear that Wakaki expected to end it at the end of the Goddesses release.

I do agree that the pacing has been glacially slow since then.

Sad really. Pacing had been one of Wakaki's strong points--he had a real gift for closing a thread at almost exactly the right time.

He could have put in some very nice storylines while still heading to the ending.

Shrug. That doesn't bode well for a new series though ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
The Goddess' Arc was nice, but I really missed the Spirit-of-the-Week mode.

I really don't have a good replacement for this manga. :(

• Locked thread