Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ktimekiller
Jan 9, 2012

Recently my computer crashed while it was on and would no longer turn on. At the time of crash, there was a burning smell, and I had artifacting the night previous in my games. After fiddling with it, I noticed that the computer does not start with the gpu's power plugged in. I however do not have an on board card or spare cards or different computers to test what might be the issue. One of the gpu fans no longer turn and is stiff to turn physically. When I boot with the gpu power unplugged but inserted into the slot, the one fan turns with the rest of the computer. It seems low that the problem is a fried gpu, but without other parts or computer I cannot check. My question is, does this seem like a gpu problem? Or could there be other problems. Gpu in question is a 560gtx ti. Let me know if you need more info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Oh wow!

First of all, you should reformat your post according to this template.

More than likely what happened is that the fan motor blew, causing the card to overheat and causing a subsequent crash. There may be permanent damage, or the card may be more or less immediately overheating or doing some other crazy thing when the computer is turned on. It may be salvageable if you feel like replacing the fan yourself (good luck finding one), but if you can just RMA the thing.

Neuntausend
Sep 11, 2012

Wir werden alle sterben.

"Electric" smell is never a good sign. But from what you described, it might have come from the fan motor. Have you tried unplugging the GPU fans? Maybe the broken one is creating a short circuit.

Have you checked the graphicscard for visible damage like burnt traces and blown capacitors? If you find those, your card is obviously toast.