Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Meat and or cheese between bread is a sandwich.

Meat and or cheese between pastries (i.e. a Luther or a McGriddle) is technically a pie.

Alright chief, where would a hamburger using portabello mushroom caps for buns fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Meat and or cheese between bread is a sandwich.

Meat and or cheese between pastries (i.e. a Luther or a McGriddle) is technically a pie.
Now you got me thinking about calzones again and whether pizza crust counts as bread. If so, calzones really would be considered sandwiches and pizza open-faced sandwiches :psyduck:

The culinary arts must have been so much simpler before the sandwich, no wonder the chickencheese caused such an uproar earlier.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Urdnot Fire posted:

Now you got me thinking about calzones again and whether pizza crust counts as bread. If so, calzones really would be considered sandwiches and pizza open-faced sandwiches :psyduck:

The culinary arts must have been so much simpler before the sandwich, no wonder the chickencheese caused such an uproar earlier.

The chickencheese "uproar" was nothing but your bog standard Goons With Spoons snobbery over a thread about pedestrian sandwichery.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BgRdMchne posted:

I think any type of filling would do, such as a tuna sandwich, a mayonnaise sandwich, or an egg salad sandwich, but bread is definitely required.

On a different note, what's the difference between a chicken ballotine and a chicken galantine?

A ballotine can be served hot.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Urdnot Fire posted:

I think the pizza could be considered an open face sandwich, but a calzone is not a sandwich. It's a turnover.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SpazmasterX posted:

Alright chief, where would a hamburger using portabello mushroom caps for buns fall?

Psh, amateur. What about if you replace that sandwich's mushroom caps with fried chicken patties?

Is that still a sandwich?

Bonus question: are sandwiches and sammiches the same thing?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That mostly depends on whether the breading on the fried chicken counts as bread. If it does, though, then it's a bunch of toppings between two sandwiches.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That mostly depends on whether the breading on the fried chicken counts as bread. If it does, though, then it's a bunch of toppings between two sandwiches.

Snap judgement, no. But you could put this into a piece of frybread to make a burrap, perhaps.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
The correct way to define a sandwich is by whether or not the external portions, be they bread or otherwise, require any cooking or non-room temperature storage by the consumer before use over a prolonged time. I think this is the best definition as it allows for ice cream sandwiches but omits any delusions that pizzas are a sandwich as the base would require freezing or baking.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think it is more a matter of construction. A sandwich demands the traditional arrangement:

Bread
\/
Filling
\/
Bread

This a pretty inclusive and helps exclude wraps, tacos and the like.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm looking at a package of Ritz crackers at my desk & I'm thinking of putting a slice of cheese & a bit of bacon jerky between 2 of them. Is that a sandwich?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Android Bicyclist posted:

I'm looking at a package of Ritz crackers at my desk & I'm thinking of putting a slice of cheese & a bit of bacon jerky between 2 of them. Is that a sandwich?

Interesting loophole. Maybe only leavened bread counts?

Really though, the question is, "Where does bread end and crackers begin?"

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

:eng101: People a long time ago used to make bread sandwiches. I made a few when I lived at my lovely parents' house and they are pretty good. I would like you goons to also try it.

- 1 piece of untoasted bread.
- 1 piece of toasted bread, salted and peppered. I butter mine but that's optional
- another piece of untoasted bread.
- 2 huevos
- 1 rancheros

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That's a toast sandwich with huevos, don't be ridiculous.

A bread sandwich is three slices of bread.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

You'd know all about not eating my ridiculous huevos sandwich wouldn't you EAT THE EGGS RICOLA. t:mad:

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
But what if you put meat in between those three slices? Would that be a triple decker sandwich or two sandwiches stacked on top of one another?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
This is the most disorganized list I've ever seen.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My favourite sandwiches are made on onion buns. They're buns with onion on them. Bunions?

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

hate pants posted:

But what if you put meat in between those three slices? Would that be a triple decker sandwich or two sandwiches stacked on top of one another?

Wouldn't that just be a club sandwich? What would happen if you put a normal sandwich in between the patties of a double cheeseburger?

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

What is the difference between a "wrap" and a "burrito"? Serious question.

I asked my little brother this. He told me that burritos are folded in at the ends, but wraps aren't.

It kinda blew my mind.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Aleator posted:

Wouldn't that just be a club sandwich? What would happen if you put a normal sandwich in between the patties of a double cheeseburger?

Well, is a club sandwich one sandwich or two sandwiches?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Well, is a club sandwich one sandwich or two sandwiches?

One sandwich. So long as you meet the "Bread top and bottom" requirement the middle stuff is unimportant.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

This thread was tailor made for Dagwood.

EDITED: Just in case pictures with text are a no-go.

NienNunb has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Mar 29, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
That is not a sandwich. There's clearly an olive on top of that bread.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Olives are really good in sandwiches.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Is there a rule against "pictures with words on them" in this thread?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu you're my favorite

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Suzuki Method posted:

Olives are really good in sandwiches.

But that's on a sandwich

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Technicality. I often take the toothpick out and shove the olive in my mouth along with a bite of sandwich anyway.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The olive is just garnish, it doesn't disqualify the sandwich from being a sandwich.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Besides, maybe that the top part of the bread + the olive on top is just an open-faced sandwich part of the decker.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Hamburgers are just tacos in disguise.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Tacos are just tidy nachos and don't belong in the sandwich subcategories at all.

And calzones are a subsection of Strombolis, which are the cousin of both pizza and wraps.

Wraps, of course, being a burrito for fancy lads, while burritos are themselves just a rolled tortilla, which is merely an edible plate.

Other items in the edible plate family include chips and crackers.

So a sandwich is defined by items BETWEEN BREAD. Whereas all other bread/carb bases/substitutes are defined by the carb-based item under or around their toppings or fillings.

Come on, people. A child could figure this out.

The Anime Liker has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Mar 29, 2013

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Storgar posted:

Hamburgers are just tacos in disguise.

No, you goddamn charlatan, a hamburger is not just a taco in disguise. They each have a distinct flavor profile and texture that sets one apart from the other, how you would make this mistake is completely beyond me but evidently you're some form of drooling cancer on the culinary education of our world, assuming all meat/carb combinations are equivalent. Go read a book, learn the textural differences between bread and tortillas, about the artificial inflation of mexican cuisine prices; dig deep in to the abridged history of the Invasion of Kuwait and maybe you'll come out with enough knowledge to make a Gulf Slider without adding in salsa or something. :frog:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Tacos are just tidy nachos and don't belong in the sandwich subcategories at all.

And calzones are a subsection of Strombolis, which are the cousin of both pizza and wraps.

Wraps, of course, being a burrito for fancy lads, while burritos are themselves just a rolled tortilla, which is merely an edible plate.

Other items in the edible plate family include chips and crackers.

So a sandwich is defined by items BETWEEN BREAD. Whereas all other bread/carb bases/substitutes are defined by the carb-based item under or around their toppings or fillings.

Come on, people. A child could figure this out.

I would agree with you but Merriam-Webster includes "one slice of bread covered with food" as definition b for sandwich. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GruntyThrst posted:

I would agree with you but Merriam-Webster includes "one slice of bread covered with food" as definition b for sandwich. :shrug:

More proof that dictionary publishers have become weak, pathetic collaborators and descriptivists. :colbert:

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Hey how does everybody read het's name in their heads? Do you read it "hat" or "nyet" (which I assume to be the correct pronunciation)?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Hey how does everybody read het's name in their heads? Do you read it "hat" or "nyet" (which I assume to be the correct pronunciation)?

"het"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

getitoffgetitoff posted:

"het"

• Locked thread