Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What's the Official Mod Position on open-faced sandwiches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aubergine Mage posted:

How would you say that compares to the terror that is the lettuce wrap?

What is the difference between a "wrap" and a "burrito"? Serious question.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Meat and or cheese between bread is a sandwich.

Meat and or cheese between pastries (i.e. a Luther or a McGriddle) is technically a pie.

Where do you stand on Monte Cristos?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GruntyThrst posted:

I would agree with you but Merriam-Webster includes "one slice of bread covered with food" as definition b for sandwich. :shrug:

More proof that dictionary publishers have become weak, pathetic collaborators and descriptivists. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shine posted:

What sort of lifting have you tried? There are very basic programs you can do 2x/week and still get the benefits of resistance training (stronger muscles, stronger bones, being attractive, etc). Did you work with a personal trainer? They tend to be dumb as hell and make their clients do stupid gimmicky poo poo that I'm pretty sure nobody actually enjoys.

Can you get a meaningful workout just doing pushups/pullups/situps?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shine posted:

Add squats (bodyweight, split squats, goblet squats) and replace the situps with planks (situps are hard on the spine) and you've got a decent little routine. The challenge with bodyweight stuff is making it harder other than adding more reps and such. It requires more creativity than "add 5lbs next time."

A few months ago, I tried doing a basic yoga thing (I bought a DVD called "yoga for inflexible people"), and while doing the cat/cow maneuver, I injured my back (hooray back spasms). Now I'm afraid of yoga. Should I stop being a pussy, or is this a valid thing to worry about?

VVVV Will do.

prefect has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Mar 29, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hate pants posted:

I absolutely adore running and I do it on a daily basis, usually 6-7 miles on an indoor track or jogging through nature. However, I loving hate lifting weights, partially cause I don't really know where to start and partially cause it makes me feel like a sore ball of poo poo. This has resulted in me being kind of a skinny fat runner shape with excellent endurance and muscular legs and the upper body of a prepubescent girl composed of mostly jello.

How do I go about fixing this? Am I just an exercise weirdo? This seems to be the opposite of most peoples problem where they hate the running.

I heard Hugh Jackman being interviewed on a radio show once, and the host asked him how he got into such good shape. The host talked about how he ran long distances all the time, but was just skinny. Jackman said that long-distance running makes you skinny, and if you want to build some muscle, you have to do sprinting. (He probably lifts weights too, but I distinctly remember his saying that sprinting could make you muscly.)

prefect has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Mar 29, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Can we talk about this please? Because I'm confused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_HlyQaTrfI

I bet it's the same stuff that's in wart remover. Salicylic acid. I didn't read the Wikipedia page too closely, but I'm pretty sure it essentially murders a few layers of your skin, which turn white and can be scraped off. :barf:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Inevitable posted:

Which is the best mario game?

Donkey Kong :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeXDNg7scyU
(Yes, I know this isn't the pristine, original version.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mysterious frankie posted:

She also portrayed Dian Fossey in Gorillas in the Mist, so she's something of an expert on the natural world.

Does she do the narration with an English accent? I am not interested in American-accented documentaries. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tbp posted:

Why not?

English people sound much more authoritative and knowledgeable. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

General Panic posted:

They should do a version with Attenborough, a version with Sigourney Weaver and then a version with whoever wins a poll on "Who Has the Most Annoying Voice Ever?" That way, you get the British option, the North American option and the comedy option, for maximum consumer choice.

I would have a hard time choosing between David Attenborough and Gilbert Gottfried.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

My upper lip is pristine. Def not the lip. I keep that thing sparkling. Just trust me. Kids, however, are like bird baths; they are covered in a rancid film and only grandparents like them.

You can get a solar-powered fountain to put in your bird bath to prevent it from getting all scummy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Haha, the idiot from that "eat a bug" show that tried to make a name for himself by calling out Carlos Mencia for stealing jokes is now stealing jokes from a dead (good) comic.

LOL Joe Rogan.

Rogan didn't put out the picture of him with Giraldo's quote on it, did he? It was probably just some guy being confused or trying to confuse people.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

StandardVC10 posted:

I thought that quinine didn't work anymore?

In order to get a medically-significant amount of quinine, you would have to drink an enormous amount of tonic water. (They just don't make it as strong as they used to.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

So just drink an enormous quantitiy of g&t's, problem solved.

This is my approach. Also how I stay protected from scurvy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EvilHawk posted:

I grew up drinking Asda/Sainsburys own brand vodka

drat. My parents never let me drink while I was growing up. :mad:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Acid is a cool drug when you're young and full of hope and ambition.

Everything is cool when you're young and full of hope and ambition.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sebmojo posted:

That's very very weak acid. And it's loads of fun.

Strong acid makes the fabric of the world dissolve as you look at it and you know people are just walking skeletons with meat attached going shlupshlup shlup and there are glowing rays coming off everyfuckingthing and every pattern is swirling and dissolving and holy poo poo I have another six hours of this jesus.

It's like this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RBwoUbvxx0

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Don't be tired or hungover when you drop. Seriously, make sure you get a good night's sleep because doing psychedelics when you are tired is a dumb idea unless you are one of those annoyingly cheerful people. Be excited to do it, and be in a space where you feel comfortable. Other than that, go for it, it's definitely an enlightening experience.

Be careful not to hang around with negative and/or depressing people. I've ruined a few people's acid trips just by being myself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tbp posted:

I'm not following.

I should hope not. :gonk:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Illegibly Eligible posted:

Why do such a large number of dogs do this when they're perplexed? It certainly isn't learned behavior and I fail to understand how it serves any evolutionary advantage. Did this come about due to selective breeding?

It's adorable, which is a definite evolutionary advantage. :3:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

toanoradian posted:

What is your favourite word to pronounce? Mine is either skedaddle or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Edit: Misspelled the latter word.

"Dastard"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

General Panic posted:

Better than Van Damme, not as good as Van Gogh though.

Did you know they pronounce it "van goff" in England? I didn't.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I like framboise.

That chick was, like, the Pele of anal.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Segmentation Fault posted:

Today's a special day so you need to bring out the big guns.

WYNGZ*

*WITH NO WING MEAT

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Segmentation Fault posted:

They give you a pouch of frozen buffalo sauce you're meant to empty into a bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds. They make a strong point about not microwaving the pouch itself which leads me to believe some dumb motherfucker tried that and ended up with a puddle of melted plastic and hot sauce in the middle of their microwave. The amount they give you is so small I ended up throwing some sriracha and italian dressing into it to make it go further.

My theory is that somebody microwaved the sauce to boiling and got shot in the face when opening it, leaving them disfigured like the phantom of the opera.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Youremother posted:

PYLF Something Awful forums member

(don't actually do this, never be mean to anyone.)

It's me; I hate myself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

You Are A Elf posted:

Come to think of it, I knew nobody that actually had and used 8-track tapes back in the day (it was either records or cassettes), and even though I had a couple of stereos with 8-track players built-in as a kid, I always used one of these bad boys to listen to cassettes (and later, CD players with a tape adapter. An adapter in an adapter! :haw:).

One of my most prized childhood posessions was an 8-track of the Star Wars soundtrack. I would listen to it in my parents' Volkswagen bus. Then one day the 8-track, the 8-track player, and all the wheels were stolen from the car.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NienNunb posted:

Are Bitcoins just a lame and worthless as I imagine they are? Like, what do you do with them? Are they like Chuck E. Cheese tokens?

As I understand it, instead of running background applications to fold proteins and cure diseases or to search for aliens, these people use background applications to create magical tokens that have no point whatsoever.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heresiarch posted:

I did the research, and in an effort to share my suffering with as many people as possible, I then wrote what is currently the OP for the bitcoin thread in GBS.

I highly recommend that nobody read it because bitcoins are stupid and you will feel stupider after you understand how they work.

That's an excellent post you wrote, and I enjoyed reading it. :thumbsup:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

General Panic posted:

Reddit is lovely but some people have far, far too much invested in proving the point, imo. Everything that's lovely about it would just be going on somewhere else on the internet if it didn't exist, and whilst it's funny to point and laugh, that sort of thing gets very, very repetitive after a while.

I'll admit not getting this at all at the time of the reddit threads, but in retrospect I actually prefer PYF now we don't do mock threads, and they kind of seem to be in decline generally.

Don't you get it? If we aren't fighting against Reddit 100% of the time, the smug Internet atheists win! :monocle:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trauma Tank posted:

But I'm smug, an internet person and an atheist! Am I still cool as long as none of those are defining parts of my personality? :ohdear:

I'm not sure anybody is cool if they're on the Internet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

General Panic posted:

I'm not sure anybody is cool, full stop. It's a Platonic ideal, like the Form of the Cool or something. Nothing in real life will ever match up to it.

Not even Miles Davis? :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

I grilled a steak for lunch today and sat outside and ate it. Then I went inside because my fatass neighbor and her friends all went to tan and it started smelling like baking ham. Advise.

Do you dislike the smell of baking ham? I kinda like it, myself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trauma Tank posted:

He didn't, they were for use as bait.

I'd never have the guts to go noodling.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Coffee And Pie posted:

Not to mention the fact that you've got your arm in a goddamned fish.

Also, do they have snapping turtles in the same rivers that they have catfish? You could lose fingers. :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trauma Tank posted:

It's my favourite hangout thread.

And HondaRider, the TCC mod got ousted for telling a heroin addict slowly chronicling her death by heroin on the forums that rehab would be a waste of her time and to instead take LSD. He then had a giant breakdown over people thinking that perhaps this isn't the gold standard of advice for the 'harm reduction' drug forum. Then also Pile of Kittens got demodded like two weeks after becoming the new PI mod for probating, and maybe trying to ban, I don't remember, someone (who had the nerve to have a rap sheet) for calling out a PI regular for being an rear end in a top hat and/or overreacting to their 7-year-old niece because they put down a chicken at the wrong point and another chicken injured it. This caused a big ol' FYAD thread, beyond this I don't know the details of this one.

Don't mess with Big FYAD. :ohdear: :tinfoil:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Did EPW just step down or did I miss something crazy?

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

She stepped down today. I was hoping you guys wouldn't talk about it because Synthy is going to be upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KILLALLNERDS.EXE posted:

My favorite thing is that EPW is not a mod anymore bcause she was poo poo :twisted:

That's not cool. :(

She probated me a bunch of times, but she was a nice person even then.

• Locked thread