Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, the guy in the thread all but comes out and says he would rather delay everyone's orders, including his, as long as he gets his first.

He also falls into a trap lots and lots of people who have never worked retail fall into, which is "The customer is always right so I don't care about stuff being literally impossible, I just want everything perfect and now and if you can't provide that you are a failure as a company"

It always bothers me that some people seem to find the idea of a little courtesy and a polite attitude to be such an abhorrent concept. The gent from Reaper in the thread really acted like the Gallant to the other fellow's Goofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Since the number of dollars you contributed to the kickstarter seems to be the only factor that matters to him, I propose Reaper offers a poll, wherein the weight of your vote is directly proportional to the amount you spent on the project. The options will be:

1) Everything else should be put on hold until Dipshit's order is processed
2) Everything will be handled according to plan, Dipshit's order will be processed when his turn comes up
3) Everything will be handled according to plan, except Dipshit's order will be the very last to be processed

My prediction of the results:
1) 600 points
2) 100,000 points
3) 3,300,000 points

Let the money decide! :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a picture yet of just everything included in the Vampire set, laid out on a table? Those guys sorta did it in that video, but they arrayed them in a big circle which isn't so great for showing just how much you get.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a picture yet of just everything included in the Vampire set, laid out on a table? Those guys sorta did it in that video, but they arrayed them in a big circle which isn't so great for showing just how much you get.

Yes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That works perfectly. I needed a good example of just how much is included in that thing. :allears:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jesus, it's like the joke opening on Spaceballs where the ship just keeps going, and going, and going. I am sad I missed out on it, but it's actually sort of comforting to not have that enormous pile of miniatures waiting to be painted.

It's an amazing haul for anyone that actually does tabletop RPGs though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ashcans posted:

It's an amazing haul for anyone that actually does tabletop RPGs though.

It basically converted some people I know who just don't "do" minis, because the deal went from "you'd be a fool not to" to "you'd have to be a certifiable insane crazy person eating his own dooks not to." So even the dudes who were happy enough with a D4 to represent the vampire and an old micro machine Darth Vader for the orc or whatever took notice.

It has forever skewed how I view pledge rewards. If you're trying to charge anything close to "retail" for your rewards, I laugh at your kickstarter. A deep, rumbling belly laugh. Reaper gave us fairly detailed miniatures for under fifty cents a pop.

Even at full retail, Bones aren't a bad value. It was pretty much the perfect storm for a good Kickstarter for the consumer. Established, trustworthy company wanting to expand an already proven product. Ridiculous value for the dollar. Stretch goal structure that encouraged constant evangelism and aforementioned crazy value making it actually a fairly easy sell. I know I posted at least once or twice on my facebook for the benefit of my nerdy friends and they went slack-jawed at the mountain of miniatures there hundred bucks would buy 'em and pledged.

I honestly don't think we'll ever see its like again.

And, yeah, I'm going to have to unrepentantly speed paint and dip a lot of this stuff, though there's some stand-outs I'ma take my time on. Backers basically bought themselves a DIY-Sysyphus kit.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I wonder how much of a pain it will be to remove their bases and put proper ones on. I always hate those irregular shaped already attached bases.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just leave those bases on and set them in hollow bases, fill with greenstuff.

Otherwise, an exacto should take it right off, the plastic cuts pretty easily.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So, "dip" methods are probably something I should get familiar with.

I tried Minwax on some warmachine models, but wasn't super pleased with how they turned out. The Army Painter stuff looks retarded expensive, but does it provide a better result?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I personally think if that's the look you are going for a good primer base (gray or white) and a thick-ish wash is more effective, and less of a pain in the rear end. GW washes, or a make your own with acrylic inks, flowaid, matte medium and water.

And if you prime white and use multiple colors of wash you can get some pretty amazing results for very little work.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Dipping only works on certain subsets of minis. Skaven, Deathwing, Blindwater, Tyranids and Menoth are all things with color schemes that are conducive to dipping. You're shading browns so you're only going to get good results on things that shade well to brown like yellows and reds (and obviously browns and flesh tones). Also if you aren't matte varnishing your dips they're gonna look like poo poo. Most bad looking dip jobs I see are based entirely on one of two things: A)No matte varnish B)Not removing enough of the dip when you spin/flick.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

And if you prime white and use multiple colors of wash you can get some pretty amazing results for very little work.
Yup. The IG in the background are white base with GW washes only - no "real" paints.

I had some better photos - I'll see if I can find them.

Of course, it takes a lot of washes to get a good color - I think a ten-man squad used up at least two bottles of Badab Black alone.

Washes are a godsend - you can literally slap on a basecoat, slather on a wash, and have a nice looking tabletop-quality model. And you don't have to deal with flailing wood stain all over the place.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Remember that you can apply the Quickshade/stain with a large brush, this is often more convenient than dipping (you don't have to throw stain all over the place).

BTW, has anyone tried dipping/staining Bones material already? If so, with what results?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

LumberingTroll posted:

I wonder how much of a pain it will be to remove their bases and put proper ones on. I always hate those irregular shaped already attached bases.

Pretty damned easy. Just take a hobby knife and cut it right off. Just be careful not to damage the feet.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Remember that you can apply the Quickshade/stain with a large brush, this is often more convenient than dipping (you don't have to throw stain all over the place).

BTW, has anyone tried dipping/staining Bones material already? If so, with what results?

I can't find it now, but I saw a video where a guy tried various techniques on an un-primed Bones. Summary: Bones do take a layer of paint without priming, but inks and washes don't go onto an unprimed Bones very well because of the lower viscosity and less 'stickiness' without medium.

Since a base-coat will involve multiple coats anyways, base-coating directly onto a Bones appears to be an option to speed the painting process. However, the long-term durability (especially if most of these will end up seeing heavy table-top use) without a good primer to bind things together remains to be seen.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
No multiple coats; assume the "Army Painter method" - no primer (because Bones), basecoating (single coats, maybe double, paint with good coverage), dipping/brushing QS, matt varnish.

And speaking of primer, is Vallejo acrylic-urethane airbrush primer good for Bones?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The general consensus is that unprimed bones keep paint better than primed metal. There were a few people on the Reaper boards who subjected bones models to various stress tests to see how well they survived. The painted bones were bent, moved around, and only with severe bending did the paint crack. Another person left a painted bones figure in his pocket with his keys, and reported that it survived well, with only one place where the paint was noticeably damaged.

That said, be careful to wash the minis carefully before painting them. Some of them retain some mold release agents that can have rather unfortunate effects on your paint job. This can range from the paint simply refusing to stick (acting the way thinned paint does on the bones) or else coming off all too easily afterwards. A good scrub with soap and warm water tends to fix this, though.

EDIT: New picture of painted Nethyrmaul is up.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 10, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you are using acrylics, they are really pretty elastic and shouldn't crack of flake with a little flexing. I have painted banners onto tinfoil flat and then put in the creases, etc, afterward. It's pretty resilient.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
gently caress me, I'm buying a Sotar for that. Also, you may want to resize the image.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
That's a really lovely paint job. I'm so jealous that someone else has that model and got to paint it so badly. The head's good. The rest is lazy.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It looks like one of those cheap resin statues with an incense burner in the base that you'd see at Spencer Gifts.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lethemonster posted:

That's a really lovely paint job. I'm so jealous that someone else has that model and got to paint it so badly. The head's good. The rest is lazy.

It looks about as good as what I could do. :smith:

Not that I will get to paint one either.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I bought one to use with my Vampire Counts. I do not think I will be disappointed.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Over on the Reaper boards, a user by the name of Wren has written up three useful guides to Bones.

Bones: Frequently Asked Questions - Unofficial!

Bones: The First Coat is the Difference

Bones: Preparation (Glues, Putties, Mould Lines, Etc.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JerryLee posted:

It looks about as good as what I could do. :smith:

There's skill there but unless you're colorblind I hope you could pick out a better scheme.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

moths posted:

There's skill there but unless you're colorblind I hope you could pick out a better scheme.

I dunno it looks like a red dragon that has died and started to rot away. The purple seems to be the rotten flesh (scales?) to me.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

I actually like that scheme, probably more creative than what I'd come up with.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Once someone here said it looked like a Spencer Gifts candleholder that's all I can see.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This one time, seven posts ago...

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fix posted:

This is only gonna get worse as the median age of goons gets higher. In 30 years were all be posting on the spacenet from our minddrives about all those cool old threads we remember from two days previous.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 11, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fix posted:

Yeah, I was phoneposting and knew it was recent but couldn't be arsed to look how recent or who said it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is only gonna get worse as the median age of goons gets higher. In 30 years were all be posting on the spacenet from our minddrives about all those cool old threads we remember from two days previous.

gently caress that I'll have spurned the spacenet because I'm gonna have 3 brain chips underneath my real brain so I don't even have to have other people to talk to, I can discuss everything with myself and myself and myself. :smug:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Where's that from?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Battle Angel Alita(specifically Last Order, but not reading the original first is like reading Return of the King before the first two Lord of the Rings books). It's that old manga series that James Cameron wants to make a movie out of but keeps getting sidetracked by loving Avatar. It's some classic sci-fi, and enters realms both ridiculous(space karate master cyborgs) and hard sci-fi(evolution of future humans, utopian/dystopian societies, nanomachines, grey goo, meteor-based apocalypse, space elevators, etc). Oh, and copious amounts of crazy-detailed late 80's/early 90's violence. Brains everywhere!

It's good stuff and inspired a lot of sci-fi.

http://view.thespectrum.net/series/battle-angel-alita-volume-1.html

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 11, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You guys can make fun, but if you bought that as part of the Kickstarter, it would have cost you less than buying any random lovely dragon statue at whatever crappy kitsch store you can find.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I thought the style seemed familiar! Now I have to read Last Order.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ashcans posted:

You guys can make fun, but if you bought that as part of the Kickstarter, it would have cost you less than buying any random lovely dragon statue at whatever crappy kitsch store you can find.

I DID buy it as part of the kickstarter, and I'm pretty happy about that. The paintjob is what makes it look like a candle holder, not the sculpt.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

My point is that even if you take one of these miniatures and treat it as a piece of kitschy poo poo, you're still coming out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Looks alright to me - I think the lighting and background isn't helping anything though. Dark on dark doesn't always work out too well.

• Locked thread