Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ashcans posted:

My point is that even if you take one of these miniatures and treat it as a piece of kitschy poo poo, you're still coming out ahead.

Yeah, I think everyone in this thread agrees that you'd have to literally throw out like half your order before you started to worry about not getting your money's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, I think everyone in this thread agrees that you'd have to literally throw out like half your order before you started to worry about not getting your money's worth.

As long as you did Vampire, randomly throwing half in a volcano would STILL put you under a buck a mini.

The Bones Kickstarter is something we will tell stories to our grandchildren about.

So I got Cthluhu and the Mythos horrors and some of the erstatz deep ones. What would be a good way to combine these with the zombie survivor/shotgun badass/etc minis for some tabletop madness? I want to actually use the Cthulhu for something game-ey at some point rather than just have it sit on a shelf staring out, unused, unloved. Dead but dreaming.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Use Cthulhu as a piece of terrain, upon which battle must be waged. Standing on different locations provides different bonuses/penalties. :suicide:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Otisburg posted:

So I got Cthluhu and the Mythos horrors and some of the erstatz deep ones. What would be a good way to combine these with the zombie survivor/shotgun badass/etc minis for some tabletop madness? I want to actually use the Cthulhu for something game-ey at some point rather than just have it sit on a shelf staring out, unused, unloved. Dead but dreaming.

The answer is always Gamma World.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

My order just shipped. I actually yelled quite loudly when I got the email. I got Vampire, 2 NOVAs, 1 IMEF and a case, so it looks like they're moving pretty fast.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

JoshTheStampede posted:

After I pledged, I told my wife. When I told her I'd just spent a hundred bucks on D&D minis, she got annoyed, "You know I hate how overpriced those are, like its honestly not worth it." Then I showed he how many we were getting, and she just started laughing because we're pretty much set on minis now, and she's not going to have to chat up creepy dudes behind the FLGS counter to get them to part with their few remaining boxes of WotC ones at a price that isn't best described as "astronomical"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The Reaper folks got back to me. They expect to be done by late May. However, if it comes down to the wire, they'll let me change the shipping address so things'll get sent to my folks, and won't end up sitting in my apartment complex's leasing office.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

They got back to me about my problem.

I changed my order from international to domestic, though I paid for international. I asked if they could just throw in some random bones or something to make up for the $25us, if it wouldn't be too hard. Kit said I could request anything to make up the $25, and they'd add it in. Awesome!

My order was something like Vampire + Mythos Monsters + Spider Centaurs + The Pair of Little Dragons + Extra Fire Elementals. I want something usable (not Kaladrax), and something that can't really be easily swapped out for what I have (Hydra), or things that you'd need a lot to really use (Mind Your Manors).

What should I get? Ugh!

Leaning towards Forces of Natures (big elementals for 15), and maybe the Undead Giant for 10, though I'm afraid he'll come all bendy as he's so thin in parts, or maybe some more Townsfolk and Golems...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If folks are still looking for a Vampire-level set, I've sold a bunch since putting them up for sale but still have six left in stock, so let me know if you're interested before they're all gone!

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Ravendas posted:

I changed my order from international to domestic, though I paid for international. I asked if they could just throw in some random bones or something to make up for the $25us, if it wouldn't be too hard. Kit said I could request anything to make up the $25, and they'd add it in. Awesome!

My order was something like Vampire + Mythos Monsters + Spider Centaurs + The Pair of Little Dragons + Extra Fire Elementals. I want something usable (not Kaladrax), and something that can't really be easily swapped out for what I have (Hydra), or things that you'd need a lot to really use (Mind Your Manors).

What should I get? Ugh!

Leaning towards Forces of Natures (big elementals for 15), and maybe the Undead Giant for 10, though I'm afraid he'll come all bendy as he's so thin in parts, or maybe some more Townsfolk and Golems...

You should get fire giants to go with your extra fire elementals.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Captain Invictus posted:

If folks are still looking for a Vampire-level set, I've sold a bunch since putting them up for sale but still have six left in stock, so let me know if you're interested before they're all gone!

Man, some retarded part of me wants to buy another kit, but I don't think I should be spending even MORE money on minis when I already have more coming than I'll ever paint.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Ravendas posted:

Get a Cthulhu and some of the deep dwellers. I am regretting not getting a Cthulhu now (the concept art was all there was to go off, and I wasn't sold) because they turned out really nice.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Pathfinder Red is the best of the usable-size dragons, if you ask me. The giants are also really nice.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Or the Clockwork Dragon. I think I got the Pathfinder one too. Dragons dragons dragons dragons everywhere, I don't even like loving dragons o.O

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I would hold off on the Pathfinder Dragon or Jabberwock Since they're only retailing for 15 and 13 dollars, respectively, and cost 10 each in bones bucks (tm)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Swagger Dagger posted:

I would hold off on the Pathfinder Dragon or Jabberwock Since they're only retailing for 15 and 13 dollars, respectively, and cost 10 each in bones bucks (tm)

I think you are talking about the WotC red dragon, not the Pathfinder Red Dragon. It retails for $40
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dragon/latest/60028

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LumberingTroll posted:

I think you are talking about the WotC red dragon, not the Pathfinder Red Dragon. It retails for $40
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dragon/latest/60028

Better get it from paizo before they increase the price, then http://paizo.com/products/btpy8wor?Pathfinder-Bones-Miniatures-Red-Dragon

edit: Yeah you're looking at the metal one not the bones version.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
That is the bones one, $14.99 retail. That's inline with the bones costs. Its also a pre-order, they wont be selling them until all of the KS orders are filled.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Right, but his point is that you can get the Pathfinder Red for fifteen bucks once it hits stores, so he's only saving five bucks. On the other hand, he could save more by going for Cthulhu or something similar.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

Right, but his point is that you can get the Pathfinder Red for fifteen bucks once it hits stores, so he's only saving five bucks. On the other hand, he could save more by going for Cthulhu or something similar.

All good points, but I don't really have a need or want for a giant Cthulhu or a massive dragon like Kaladrax, so I passed on them.

I chose the Forces of Nature elementals, the big stone and plant creatures, and the Fire Giant King and Queen, just because I wanted some badass looking giants.

There were other things I wanted to buy as well, but that could wait until they are actually released for sale as bones.

So my whole order is:
Vampire x1 $100
TownsFolk x1 $5 (For the Hirst Arts inn stuff)
There Be Dragons x1 $15 (I have 0 dragon figures, these should be a nice, reasonably sized start)
Mythos Monsters x1 $10 (Little Cthulhu, Crawling Chaos and something else? Yes please)
Spider Centaurs x1 $10 (Driders? Awesome.)
Fire It Up! x1 $5 (More fire elementals, so I can have lots of fiery beasts at once)
+Forces of Nature
+Fire Giant King/Queen

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The giants are my favorite add-ons out of the whole set, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Ravendas posted:

+Fire Giant King/Queen
I didn't take the royal fire giants, and I regret it. Good move!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Added to OP, thanks.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
So out of curiousity, if I wanted to get enough paint to do the entire set (or more specifically for my wife to do it, because I cannot paint for poo poo) will any acrylic paint do? I ask because getting enough cool colors in official miniature paint is hella pricey, and since minis are a well known racket it wouldn't surprise me one bit if regular acrylic would work just as well.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Craft acrylics won't work as well. Different formulation, and they're cheap for a reason. The pigment isn't nearly as dense as in mini paints. You can use them, but they won't look quite as good, and will take more work. I'd save them for things like basing. Artist's acrylics are, as I understand, somewhat cheaper by volume than mini paints, and can work decent well. I haven't worked with them myself, so I can't really say much.

If you go onto the Reaper forums and post in their Paint forum, there's a member there named Pingo who's a professional artist, and she can probably steer you toward some good choices that won't look like rear end.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Depends on the brand TBH. In my experience there is almost no difference between ceramcoat and GW paints. At least the big tube of Ceramcoat "flesh" I bought some time ago is pretty much identical to old GW Elf Flesh. I've used Folk Art and Apple Barrel some as well and the biggest issue with them is that the paint thickness to pigment ration varies wildly among their paints. Some of their stuff like most of their browns can be painted on as is, but other things like their greens need to be watered down or thinned with matte medium to a more acceptable thickness. Apple Barrel tends to be thinner and sometimes have a more chalky finish to it but I have a tube of their white and fluo green that have served me well for a couple of years with no real issues.

Edit: Just don't use any craft acrylic metallics! The flake size for their metals is much too big to use for modelling purposes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is still a pretty killer deal. These are Badger's new "Minitaire" paints, which are intended for airbrushes, but that really just means they're nicely thinned. Which is what you have to do to most paint (including miniature-specific paints like games workshop, reaper, etc.) anyway to get nice smooth coverage.

They're constantly out of stock but I ordered some anyway in early February and got my set in mid-March. So far I'm liking them a lot, both for airbrushing straight and for brushing on. The metallics aren't as nice as GW metallics, and the ghost tints kind of work a little differently than GW inks/glazes, but for $130 with free shipping it's a crazy deal compared to 80 paints from any other miniature-paint company.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

This is still a pretty killer deal. These are Badger's new "Minitaire" paints, which are intended for airbrushes, but that really just means they're nicely thinned. Which is what you have to do to most paint (including miniature-specific paints like games workshop, reaper, etc.) anyway to get nice smooth coverage.

They're constantly out of stock but I ordered some anyway in early February and got my set in mid-March. So far I'm liking them a lot, both for airbrushing straight and for brushing on. The metallics aren't as nice as GW metallics, and the ghost tints kind of work a little differently than GW inks/glazes, but for $130 with free shipping it's a crazy deal compared to 80 paints from any other miniature-paint company.

That is not half bad. I've been looking for Coat d'Arms stuff after reading up on the issue. Its the company that used to make GW paint, and as such is devoid of the citadel markup. That said I also just barely lost an ebay auction on a HUGE lot of Reaper master paints for about $1.15 a bottle, so I might keep trying on ebay while I wait for shipping confirmation. Anyone have some advice on a decent set of brushes?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep in mind that the Minitaire paints are in 1oz bottles, while games workshop paint pots are 0.4oz each. Although the Minitaire stuff is also thinned. Check the volumes on other brands too because they do vary.

I feel like you could maybe check out the general painting/modeling thread (I know, it has thousands of posts, ugh) because they do a lot of good recommendations for things like paint, brushes, etc.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Red_Mage posted:

That is not half bad. I've been looking for Coat d'Arms stuff after reading up on the issue. Its the company that used to make GW paint, and as such is devoid of the citadel markup. That said I also just barely lost an ebay auction on a HUGE lot of Reaper master paints for about $1.15 a bottle, so I might keep trying on ebay while I wait for shipping confirmation. Anyone have some advice on a decent set of brushes?

Anything labeled as "kolinsky sable" will be great brushes. Common suggestions are Windsor & Newton Series 7, DaVinci Maestro, Raphael Escoda, and Rosemary & Company. You can get at least the first of those for about 5-8 bucks a brush on dickblick.com or similar art supply clearance houses. For minis, you will probably want a size 0 and a size 1. Then go buy some super cheapo brushes that you like the feel of at an art store, for like a dollar a brush, for things that might tear up your brushes faster, like drybrushing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Welp, got my shipment the other day, I can answer any questions anyone who hasn't gotten theirs might have. Not sure why mine's already here when the friend that told me about the deal ordered his at least a week earlier and he's still received nothing.
I got a Vampire + for some reason just some giant orc that is a dupe and then more townsfolk, which are also a dupe. Durrr, maybe I was drunk when I sorted out my order.

Be prepared to open a lot of loving plastic bags. Practically everything is bagged individually. Also, put down the super glue because except for the giant wings on the giant griffin, everything is assembled.

Quality of sculpts seems to range from fair to good, nothing immediately stood out as mega-spectacular or atrociously bad. The plastic is really soft, though. Things like swords and other spindly bits seem to bend very easily, I wonder about paint cracking and the like once they are finished.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

AlternateAccount posted:

Quality of sculpts seems to range from fair to good, nothing immediately stood out as mega-spectacular or atrociously bad. The plastic is really soft, though. Things like swords and other spindly bits seem to bend very easily, I wonder about paint cracking and the like once they are finished.

From what people are saying, that isn't a problem unless you really cake the paint on.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Cue over a month of impatience and gnawing on my desk while the basic vampires receive their boxes :argh:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Cue over a month of impatience and gnawing on my desk while the basic vampires receive their boxes :argh:

The reports of Vampire+ coming in just get me a little bit more excited and a little bit more motivated to finish the minis I have yet to paint before mine comes.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've got someone picking up one of my Vampire boxes at ReaperCon and mailing it to me.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Mage posted:

So out of curiousity, if I wanted to get enough paint to do the entire set (or more specifically for my wife to do it, because I cannot paint for poo poo) will any acrylic paint do? I ask because getting enough cool colors in official miniature paint is hella pricey, and since minis are a well known racket it wouldn't surprise me one bit if regular acrylic would work just as well.

The topic came up on the Reaper boards, and several people chimed in.

Basically, the issue is that craft acrylics have poor-quality pigments, and they're not very dense. Coverage won't be great, and they work pretty poorly for drybrushing, thinned layers, and washes. People can get decent results from them, but they take a lot more work to get anything like the same result.

Artist's acrylics will have better quality pigment in greater density. However, the paints are much thicker than mini paints. You'll need to thin them down a quite a bit. Golden matte acrylic is apparently less thick than other artist's acrylics, with a consistency around the same as Elmer's glue. Still thicker than you want for a mini, but less thinning is needed. They're what our resident paint expert Pingo uses.

Mini paints will give you a much more consistent mix, and come with flow improver, matte elements, and sometimes drying retarder. They'll require some thinning to use (varies by brand), but far less than craft or artist's paints. You'll have a lot more shades that are designed specifically for D&D-style minis. While they cost more, keep in mind that they'll last you quite a while. One member of the board is still using pots of paint that haven't even been made for twenty years. With proper thinning, you shouldn't have to replace a bottle for many, many minis.

Essentially, craft paints work to an extent, but you'll have to work a lot harder to get decent results, and you'll never be quite as good as you could with better paints. Artist's acrylics cost more than the craft paints, but less than mini paints. They'll do the job pretty well, but they require a bit more work. Mini paints are the most expensive per volume, but they really are the best available paints for the job. It all comes down to how much you're willing to pay vs. the effort you have to put in, and what level of quality you're ultimately striving for. If you just want something you can plink down on the table, you can get away with craft paints. If you want to get better results faster, go with the artist's acrylics or mini paints.

EDIT: Also, working with craft paints is a bad idea if you ever intend to move on, because you learn a lot of bad habits. If you intend to get good at it, invest in some solid paints. You don't really need all that many different paints to start with. Get your main colors and mix, building up the rest of your colors as you go.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 16, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JackMann posted:

One member of the board is still using pots of paint that haven't even been made for twenty years.

Me too (unless you meant me in the first place). Some of my old GW Citadel paints that I bought between 1989 and 1991 got permanently separated, but most of them are still fine and I'm still using them.

Also, there's no need to put double spaces between sentences when you type. SA removes them for display (although they're still in your text when I quoted it, which is how I noticed), and proportional fonts (which means essentially any font that's not specifically monospace) already have an extra-wide space after a period.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Actually, I meant a fellow who goes by the name of Buglips (or are you Buglips?)

And yes, I know, the double space is unnecessary. But it's so ingrained by now I can't break the habit. When I write something meant for publication, I have to do a find-and-replace to get rid of all the double spaces.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Me too (unless you meant me in the first place). Some of my old GW Citadel paints that I bought between 1989 and 1991 got permanently separated, but most of them are still fine and I'm still using them.
Hell, yes. The other day, I needed an off-black and I opened a pot of Salamander Black from the Space Marine paint set - you know, this set:

From twenty-four loving years ago...

After a good shake, it was good as the day I purchased the set. Awesome. I really wish GW would return to those pots - paint lasts forever and there it that convenient lip in the lid for quick touchups. Every bottle since then has sucked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Those look a lot like the pots P3 uses.

• Locked thread