Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

More like artificially delay everyone from Wave 2+ because they don't want to deal with Wave 1 crying about it.

They could start assembling orders with what the majority of stuff, and be on wave 3 or so (minus the defective sculpts) by the time replacements arrive. At that point they could top off Wave 1, mail it, top off Wave 2, mail it, etc. There'd be no gap between waves, which means some Wave 2 would hit before Wave 1.

Or will they delay ~12,000 people's wait times just so 2,000 Early Birds get to feel smug about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I don't know where you're getting the 'feeling smug' thing about. When Reaper structure their entire kickstarter around 'hey, this is the order your pledges will go out in' and then they hypothetically cut across that, I don't think it'd be wrong wrong for those Group 1'ers to feel a little annoyed. Maybe a little bit petty, but on the other hand I think it could be called petty for someone to expect them to change up the advertised shipping order just so they can get their minis faster :shrug:

Also, no doubt a lot of people from Wave 2 would be affected by the same 'we're recasting your minis' thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have their plate full and don't really want to sift through everything to verify that yeah, Jim Bob's order can go ahead and go out in front of everyone else's.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im an early bird and I would be annoyed if any wave 2s got boned before me. Whether im entitled to be annoyed isnt relevant because I still would be.

All they are doing is avoiding a definite future problem for their CSRs

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Not to mention, there's this statement from them in the comment section:

Reaper posted:

We are going to adapt our timetables so that as many backers as possible still ship in the month we had originally planned for. We are not pushing all waves back by the same amount - only as long as is absolutely necessary. We are hoping that Nov & Dec backers will ship 100% on-time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's not like there's some special subset of molds that's only for Wave One that's holding them back. Any figure that they need to redo is probably going to be all over every wave, so it's not just a matter of them holding Wave 2+ back out of spite; a significant number of those waves would need to wait anyway, and given that the entire point of the wave system was to smooth out some of the clusterfuck that Bones 1 fulfillment turned into at certain points, I don't think you can blame them for not wanting to re-complicate things on either the logistical or PR fronts.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
As long as they don't repeat the international shipping fiasco, I don't care. This time they actually post about the delay, and do it in advance! So, a huge improvement IMHO.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remade an SA-Mart thread for my Reaper(and other things) stuff. I also lowered some prices, added paints and carrying cases, among other items!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well, CAV is up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Godspeed, Bones Kickstarter III: Bone Hardest: 'Twas All For Bones, but I am so incredibly completely uninterested in those minis. :(

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Godspeed, Bones Kickstarter III: Bone Hardest: 'Twas All For Bones, but I am so incredibly completely uninterested in those minis. :(

Yeaaaaah... sharp angled mechs with long straight guns might not be the best way to showcase the Bones material.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

moths posted:

Well, CAV is up.

I've heard the game wasn't very good, has anyone played it?

A good minis wargame that used affordable bones miniatures would be wicked.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Yeah it doesn't float my boat either.

I wish Reaper had of done a proper unpacking of their offerings for Bones II. I'll likely be waiting until the mini's show to see how they have turned out.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Bucnasti posted:

Its mediocre, and doesn't really have any flavor. BGG rating 6.82.

$5 for a bones figure doesn't really help their cause any. They also didn't put the dollar amount on the "stretch goals" The figures they show in the vid look ok as far as weapons and hard edges go, but I doubt that is practical full production quality and not cherry pick of the lot.

Edit: they do put the dollar amount, its on the ugly space map at the top, not on the images of the streatch goals. This KS feel bad all around to me...
Every stretch goal is another $12k so far. It adds a single figure to the core pledge, and another figure you can add on for $5.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 1, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bucnasti posted:

I'm not that into Battletech but it seems like the overall design is close enough for at least a Mechwarrior game.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Check out those bent weapons....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

moths posted:

Well, CAV is up.
These minis look like poo poo

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

LumberingTroll posted:

Check out those bent weapons....

I was under the impression that they could adjust the durometer of the plastic to give them harder edges and more ridged pieces. Didn't they do something like that with the clockwork dragon wings?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Bucnasti posted:

I was under the impression that they could adjust the durometer of the plastic to give them harder edges and more ridged pieces. Didn't they do something like that with the clockwork dragon wings?

The wings are clearly another material entirely. Its sitting on my shelf right now, in all of its ugly glory.

Edit: holy poo poo the appologists in the comments on the KS.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They did seem to thicken the barrels up a bit to avoid bendy-guns, but I can't see myself ever getting into CAV or having any use at all for these figures.

Much less dropping $100 on them. Or anyone else I know. What the gently caress are they thinking? These look like grocery store capsule toys.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

On top of any potential issues with the material and the casting quality, this is just way too niche to capture anywhere near the sort of excitement as the Bones kickstarters. Which I'm sure they knew going in, but it will be annoying to watch all the people doomsaying about it.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Then they should have rethought the entire project and made it have greater appeal, doing anything with the intention of under performing your previous work is stupid, especially when you are banking on word of mouth and excitement.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Reading the kickstarter, it seems like the "Early Birds" will be getting the trial Bones casts, but everyone else will wait a year for the casts in some entirely "new" grey plastic material. It's utter speculation on my part, but entirely possible that the grey material is a bit more rigid to hold those details better?

I threw them 10x:10bux: because it's a ton of robots I am sure I'll find a use for. I definitely don't plan on playing CAV with them, however.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

Then they should have rethought the entire project and made it have greater appeal, doing anything with the intention of under performing your previous work is stupid, especially when you are banking on word of mouth and excitement.

Why? It will probably get funded and so they'll be able to make their relatively niche product for fans of niche product. They haven't stopped making other bones and they won't not do Bones 3 because of this (assuming they were going to anyway). Not everything Reaper puts up on kickstarter needs to be a multi-million-dollar undertaking just because they've had some that were.

I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that "a very specific game and the minis for that game" is targeted at a narrower demographic than "minis for literally everything forever, just in case you ever wanted to have the demon lord of the dead pose next to the TARDIS." Reaper probably knows what they want to do with this kickstarter and they're going to do it. More power to them, even though I won't be going anywhere near it.

e: I guess they could have waited and hitched this to Bones 3 instead but why make fans of this game wait that long if they can reasonably do it now?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
No, its the exact same material, they are just adding a gray tint to the bones material now because its impossible to see any detail in them.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

No, its the exact same material, they are just adding a gray tint to the bones material now because its impossible to see any detail in them.

welp

Hubis
May 18, 2003

JerryLee posted:

Why? It will probably get funded and so they'll be able to make their relatively niche product for fans of niche product. They haven't stopped making other bones and they won't not do Bones 3 because of this (assuming they were going to anyway). Not everything Reaper puts up on kickstarter needs to be a multi-million-dollar undertaking just because they've had some that were.

I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that "a very specific game and the minis for that game" is targeted at a narrower demographic than "minis for literally everything forever, just in case you ever wanted to have the demon lord of the dead pose next to the TARDIS." Reaper probably knows what they want to do with this kickstarter and they're going to do it. More power to them, even though I won't be going anywhere near it.

e: I guess they could have waited and hitched this to Bones 3 instead but why make fans of this game wait that long if they can reasonably do it now?

Yeah. If anything, this is arguably precisely what a kickstarter should be used for -- potentially niche products that a company would gladly do if there were enough of an audience to cover the up-front costs, but where the market is specific enough to not be a sure win.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

And given that it's already over double its funding goal, it pretty obviously has enough fans to justify doing.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'm honestly happy to have a product I don't feel compelled to buy. I already have half of Bones 1 unpainted, and Bones 2 coming in a few months. If bones 3 doesn't come until 2015 I would be perfectly happy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Battletech figures cost a ridiculous amount of money. People who play battletech might buy these things to proxy them. That's probably the main appeal.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Battletech figures cost a ridiculous amount of money. People who play battletech might buy these things to proxy them. That's probably the main appeal.

That's the use for pretty much every Reaper mini, even if "use them in your D&D game" is sort of a loose definition of proxying. I actually wish Reaper had a killer app tactical game system that encompassed their entire range, but I'll probably never get that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JerryLee posted:

That's the use for pretty much every Reaper mini, even if "use them in your D&D game" is sort of a loose definition of proxying. I actually wish Reaper had a killer app tactical game system that encompassed their entire range, but I'll probably never get that.

Play Mordheim with Reaper Bones figures. The only things you're missing, maybe, is skaven.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Play Mordheim with Reaper Bones figures. The only things you're missing, maybe, is skaven.

I think there were ratmen in Bones 2.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bucnasti posted:

I think there were ratmen in Bones 2.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You can just use kobolds and similar small humanoids for Skaven as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can use stand-ins of pretty much anything. Even human peasantry could work as stand-in Skaven.

I once saw someone midget-ize Space Marines and use them for counts-as Squats at my old gaming store hangout. It worked way better than you'd think, Squat Trikes were just shortened Marine Bikes, etc.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Captain Invictus posted:

You can use stand-ins of pretty much anything. Even human peasantry could work as stand-in Skaven.

The fastest loving peasants ever.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The fastest loving peasants ever.

its social commentary on poor people being sub human rat people

im not stalking you. you just post in all the same threads I do

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Catalyst is selling the old-school lance packs in their (improved) plastic for $20 now

which, at $5/mini, means Reaper's going to have to do a little better than this. If the stretch goals include some of the CAV support vehicles it might actually be a good deal -- those things are still stupid expensive for what you usually get.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh drat I didn't know catalyst was doing that.

Yeah in that case those reaper models aren't going to cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etP6_Ukj6AM

Holy gently caress did I buy that much what have I done? :psyduck:

• Locked thread