Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

I will fill several more sterlite containers with plastic crack.

Stay strong, brother. You and me both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

As a total reaper KS newbie, what is the turn around time on this stuff? It looks like the ideal expenditure for practicing wacky painting techniques other than fine detail work, is that about right? Will an august conclusion give me something to paint in the winter, or will it be more of a project for summer 2016?

Also: is there a list somewhere of their different lines and how to prep them based on source? I've read the KS minis are mildly hydrophobic and don't take well to priming, but sources seem to suggest the retail stuff is different but also that reaper stuff sold in stores might end up being from the KS or some other nonsense.

I know I can go to google (sort of) but I trust the answers on this subforum way more than the nonsense out there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It depends on when you buy in. You pledge for a particular wave, and as more people pledge, they add more waves.

That being said, the first KS was waaaaaaay off target due to a number of reasons. The second was a lot closer, but still not dead on, and they also set the waves further out from the end of the KS. I expect this one to almost certainly be no more than 6 months from your scheduled wave as a worst-case scenario, but I also expect the projected dates to be further out still. Either that, or smaller rewards.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Oh hey, here's a weird tip with Bones that I'd been meaning to post somewhere but didn't get around to...

For anyone who doesn't already know, Bones doesn't take well to water-thinned paint because of the hydrophobia that Spiderdrake mentioned. The usual recommendation is to paint a basecoat of unthinned paint, which understandably causes many people raised on THIN YOUR PAINTS to break out in hives. (Frankly, I don't think it's all that bad if you're careful, but it would be all the better if you could safely thin it.) So what do?

You can get around this (so I understand) by using matte medium rather than water to thin your paint down, but there's a simpler solution: just grab a bottle of VMA or any other paint that's made for airbrushes or pre-thinned for another reason. You can brush it on and it's thin, but since it's made that way rather than by having water added to it, it shouldn't bead up on the Bones plastic like water does. Once you've 'primed' it with this paint, you can thin down subsequent layers as much as you please.

I've tried this on several Bones so far and it seems to work a treat. :)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
It's important to understand that they don't do the manufacturing in house. They're hoping to do so eventually, but we're talking about in the next five to ten years. Right now, they've got a very limited ability to do injection molding in their factory, and not nearly enough to fulfill a Kickstarter.

So the minis are produced in China. This involves lots of e-mails back and forth, sending molds around, and then doing quality control. Once Reaper has samples that they're satisfied with, China will ship the minis over in shipping containers, which will take multiple shipments. Finally, they'll arrive at Denton and be sorted into packages and shipped out.

Reaper's learned a lot from the last two kickstarters, but there are a lot of moving parts. They'll give their best estimate of when they'll be able to ship, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong that are out of their control.

In the meantime, Reaper's existing minis are in stores and fairly available and a lot cheaper than most alternatives. If your FLGS can't get them for you, you can order direct from Reaper's website (though they prefer people buy local).

As far as the no-priming, it really applies to spray primers. The plastic of Bones is sensitive to some of the chemicals in rattle-cans. Brush-on primers work fine, or you can use the airbrush paints Jerry suggested. Reaper's brown liner is another good option for a first step "priming" that also brings out a lot of the details. If you do go the unthinned paint route, just remember that only the first layer needs to be unthinned. It doesn't really obscure too many details, since the layer of unthinned paint won't be any thicker than primer+thinned paint.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I recently painted a Bones model without any priming, painting my base colors directly on with unthinned Minitaire paint (which is already thinned for airbrushing). It worked fine.

I did it because my primary color was yellow, so I didn't feel like painting a white undercoat onto a white plastic figure.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

Bones 3 launches tomorrow!
We're going to be launching our Bones 3 Kickstarter Project tomorrow morning, Tuesday, July 7, at 10 AM Central Time, (-5 GDT).

Looking forward to seeing what they have this time, so far even though I only painted 2 minis from it, I've already got a use for something like 2/3 of the Bones 2 I impulse purchased :buddy:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
live in 8 hours, prepare your wallets!
https://www.reapermini.com/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

200% funded 4 minutes in.

Got my wave 1 seat, now to actually stop for a moment and see if I want any of this stuff. :downs gun:

e: They have basically no chance to keep updating their stretch goals in anything even approaching near real time with the pledges coming in.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 7, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I just threw in $1 to secure access to the pledge manager. Even if I had the spare cash to plop down for a core set, nothing in there appeals to me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

senrath posted:

I just threw in $1 to secure access to the pledge manager. Even if I had the spare cash to plop down for a core set, nothing in there appeals to me.

I pledged for the core set to secure my wave 1 shipping, I figure if I'm not interested, I can back out in a couple weeks once things have settled down. Grabbing an early shipping slot is free, if you change your mind later.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Aaaagh, it's still saying pledge processing after I jumped onto wave 1 right after the kickstarter opened up. If this thing freaks out and dumps it somehow I'm gonna be way bummed.

That's a lot of lizardfolk. :stare:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Interesting that the $1 level has a maximum number. I put in for the Wave 1 shipping but might drop to Wave 3 at $1, nothing in the standard set is jumping out at me but I'm sure there will be some cool big monsters that coming along later. Plus...TIamat!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Interesting that the $1 level has a maximum number. I put in for the Wave 1 shipping but might drop to Wave 3 at $1, nothing in the standard set is jumping out at me but I'm sure there will be some cool big monsters that coming along later. Plus...TIamat!

It did last time, too. They'll open up more with later and later shipping as it fills.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

GaistHeidegger posted:

Aaaagh, it's still saying pledge processing after I jumped onto wave 1 right after the kickstarter opened up. If this thing freaks out and dumps it somehow I'm gonna be way bummed.

That's a lot of lizardfolk. :stare:

Same for me, when I finished pledging only 34 backers were done, but by the time it finished processing I was backer #1173 and nearly missed wave 1

Not that wave 1 means anything for international, going by my Bones 2 experience.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It looks like their little pixel art map vaguely correlates to what the stretch goals are, so there's sort of a preview of what's coming. I'm guessing wild west space cowboy stuff is the next stretch goal?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I'm also stuck in the processing loop for wave 1. If that doesn't go through, I'll take wave 2, that's also scheduled for August, but you'd think they'd have their internal processes ironed out by now. I mean, this is their fourth go at these.

...Unless we broke Kickstarter. Did we break Kickstarter? :ohdear:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

The Wave 1 Core set is now claimed by 2062 out of 2000.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm also stuck in the processing loop for wave 1. If that doesn't go through, I'll take wave 2, that's also scheduled for August, but you'd think they'd have their internal processes ironed out by now. I mean, this is their fourth go at these.

...Unless we broke Kickstarter. Did we break Kickstarter? :ohdear:

We broke Kickstarter, same as last time.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Same for me, when I finished pledging only 34 backers were done, but by the time it finished processing I was backer #1173 and nearly missed wave 1

Not that wave 1 means anything for international, going by my Bones 2 experience.

Mine is processing as well, but I am fairly certain that your spot is reserved before processing ends. I would imagine that even if the credit card check fails for some reason, we'd still have a Wave 1 spot secured and would just have to use a different payment method.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, it's showing 20482065/2000 backers at wave 1, I guess there's some flex room allowed there, probably for precisely this situation.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

Mine is processing as well, but I am fairly certain that your spot is reserved before processing ends. I would imagine that even if the credit card check fails for some reason, we'd still have a Wave 1 spot secured and would just have to use a different payment method.

Given that more people got a Wave 1 slot after my previous post (up to 2065/2000 now), I'm inclined to believe this is correct.

Bad Munki posted:

Well, it's showing 2048/2000 backers at wave 1, I guess there's some flex room allowed there, probably for precisely this situation.

I think it's less flex room and more "Kickstarter's system is poo poo and can't handle this volume properly."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

senrath posted:

I think it's less flex room and more "Kickstarter's system is poo poo and can't handle this volume properly."

Tomato, tomato.

Come on, reaper, show me some more stretch goals!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
been trying to pledge since 8:00. bummer

well it took 37 min, but im in wave 2!

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 7, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I want that mule and the chinese dragon-dog!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
They better have the Ms. Bones figure planned :3:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I really wonder why they only did an 18-day campaign. They could have at least started it later, so it would end after the first of the month, i.e., payday for lots of people.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

lilljonas posted:

I have that foo dog in metal and it has giant balls out back. :thumbsup:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

lilljonas posted:

Those are the only models from the core that I like. I figure on just buying them separately at a later date.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

krushgroove posted:

I really wonder why they only did an 18-day campaign. They could have at least started it later, so it would end after the first of the month, i.e., payday for lots of people.

perhaps they dont want it getting too huge and have smaller more often bones sets planned. That would certainly be easier on logistics.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

krushgroove posted:

I suspect they looked at their other campaigns and figured they got 80% of their money in the first couple weeks, so this way they could both get all the sweet moolah, and keep the campaign more manageable. Also, maybe they don't have as much poo poo ready to convert as before?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Those are the only models from the core that I like. I figure on just buying them separately at a later date.

I'll probably do the same, the non-US shipping cost was high enough last time that I couldn't convince myself to buy anything but the core set.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

krushgroove posted:

There's also been talk of them launching another kickstarter in the not too distant future focused specifically on expanded lines of pre-painted miniatures, so the shortened time frame might be in part to accommodate that too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Stuck in a $100 pledge to reserve a space in an early wave if I want it, but won't hesitate to cancel if it doesn't massively appeal to me, it's not looking amazing so far.

If it's good though I'd be happy to do a joint buy with other UK goon(s) like I did with Krush last year.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thespaceinvader posted:

If it's good though I'd be happy to do a joint buy with other UK goon(s) like I did with Krush last year.

Yeah, same for sure

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

GaistHeidegger posted:

There's also been talk of them launching another kickstarter in the not too distant future focused specifically on expanded lines of pre-painted miniatures, so the shortened time frame might be in part to accommodate that too.

That's confirmed for sometime this fall. Legendary Encounters. It'll be interesting to see how well that one does. I know there are a lot of people who want pre-paints, but I don't imagine there's a ton of cross-over with the people who pledged in the Bones campaigns.

Also, really liking the liners coming up in the paints. Brown liner is basically a godsend when painting Bones.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Reaper knows I can't not buy giants and I can't not buy paints.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I like the lizardmans but not enough to be in for 100 bucks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

evenworse username posted:

I like the lizardmans but not enough to be in for 100 bucks.

I'm quite sure the lizard men won't be the end of it.

I am sad they probably won't ever do anything like bones 1 again where the core pledge ended up being something like 43 cents per mini.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They've just added orcs, yetis, savage worlds characters, and a set of PC minis to the core pledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I overslept this morning so I'm in wave 2. I really have to control spending this time, I can't just get ALL THE MINIs. I think the 18-day KS makes a lot of sense: previous kickstarters have all had a really slow period a couple weeks in; most of the pledges are in the first couple days and the last couple days. Why not cut out that slow period and just capitalize on the two main surges?

• Locked thread