Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yes, you can skip the core set and spend your pledged $100 base wherever you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Foolster41 posted:

Oh, can I buy add-ons without having to buy the core set and mix and match? Because a lot of these in the core set don't interest me as muich, but I'd like to get a bunch of the heros and some monsters.

You are not required to get a core set, even if you picked that option in the KS. You just get a pool of money to allocate as you see fit.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Bad Munki posted:

Yes, you can skip the core set and spend your pledged $100 base wherever you like.

I didn't pledge before. I'm a late comer. Could a late comer not buy the $150 core still but pick up the add-ons?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm sure that if the pledge manager lets you do it, you're golden. Can you set the core quantity to zero and pick other stuff? Then you're good.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

okay cool. Wasn't sure what would happen when I hit submit. I haven't commited myself yet anyway, I'm trying to decide between the core or not, or if I really want to should spend this much money. :P

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, you better decide soon, this thing closes in June! :derp:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

JerryLee posted:

I made the mistake of rattlecan priming an unpainted Bones once, and after stripping as much of it as I could with Simple Green and then letting the rest sit for a while, I was able to paint over it and now you can't tell it was ever tacky. So I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

I just got around to doing this and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip, JerryLee.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Hmm. I'm seriously considering buying up some NOVA/modern figures and putting together some armies for the Fallout miniatures game (Fallout:Warfare). I want to try it out, but I'm guessing playing with paper figures is going to get annoying real fast. I'm not sure what would be a good stand-in for a Brothrhood of Steel Elder or scribes. I've found a few interesting options for Elder.

Scribes are people in platemail with a tunic, so I think I'd have to find a fantasy one and remove the weapon and add a modern weapon. How hard would that be to do?

It's surprising how hard it is to actually find these, since I want something simple that doesn't look too fantasy/wizardish.

How difficult is it to swap weapons for figures? Any recomendations for putting details (the Brotherhood of Steel logo) such as with a stencil onto the figures? I'm not sure if it can be really done on flowing capes where the surface isn't flat.

Then again, maybe I should play the game with paper first to see if I like it, though I've heard good things, and the rules look pretty good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Bones are stupid-easy to convert if the weapons are modelled free of the body. They cut like butter and drill easily too.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Springfield Fatts posted:

I just got around to doing this and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip, JerryLee.

Glad to be of help :)

thespaceinvader posted:

Bones are stupid-easy to convert if the weapons are modelled free of the body. They cut like butter and drill easily too.

The problem is when they aren't :suicide: but yeah, for any given molding configuration, Bones is going to be much nicer to convert than the same piece in metal, resin or I daresay even hard plastic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Definitely easier than hard plastic; hard plastic deforms when bent and is difficult to put back to its original shape without permanent damage or snapping, bones you can bend any which way without worrying too much.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Cross-posting from the Oath thread. Proof that Bones sometimes do get painted:

I'm getting set for our long-overdue Bones II draft in a couple of weeks. A group of friends and I went in on the Kickstarter, separate them into piles, and play games. The winner of the game gets to draft first for a pile. When that piles been sorted, we play another game, then start drafting the next pile. Last year's draft involved much drinking and a game of play-dough monsters using whiskey bottles as terrain. If you took a swig from a bottle, you could move it. Often onto an opponent's monster. Good times!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Cool paintjob, Germ. And that sounds like a fun game.

I'm gonna be in a speed-paint contest next Saturday. Each contestant grabs a random mini from a box and has an hour-and-a-half to paint it.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Any suggestions for a good deathclaw stand-in in the bones line? Looking I don't see anything very close.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Foolster41 posted:

Any suggestions for a good deathclaw stand-in in the bones line? Looking I don't see anything very close.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rpr77377.html
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/62112/latest/62112

Closest I could find, friend.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Both of these are pretty good (I could just say it's a mutation of the original deathclaw). Thanks!

Edit: Crosspost from minitures painting thread.

Yesterday at the game shop I picked up a few new figures, and today did more painting done, (while watching some people play D&D appropriately enough).

An Iconic Barbarian. Eyes obviously missing. I tried to be somewhat simple on details because I don't have many colors yet.

I did as I mentioned planning before and I got some guys for the fallout miniatures game. A minigun paladin (IMF: Reggie Van Zandt) and some SMG paladins (Nova Corp Soldiers). I think the minigun guy turned out well, but I had trouble picking good details for the soldiers and keeping the lines neat.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 5, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the minipainting thread.

JackMann posted:

While waiting for the basecoat on the base to dry, I went ahead and painted this guy. Took me about fifteen minutes. He's not a great paintjob, but it was a lot of fun, and I'll be able to use him at the gaming table.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I was thinking mixing paints would be a lot harder, but I'm trying to not spend money if I feel I don't have to, so I used a Army Painter Alien "Purple color" which is a very deep purple and mixed with white. Mixing is a easier than I thought! (i also mixed the silver with black to get the darker black for the minigun guy's gun and backpack above,

The color scheme is based on Winry Rockbell. I think I've stumbled upon a theme for my raiders faction in fallout, warfare. I already planned on painting a female sniper in the color scheme of Yoko Littner from Gurren lagen, and now I've been collecting pallets of other characters.

I wish there were more shirtless modern dude figures with a cape or coat, I might have to do doubles for Kamida and Simon.

Now that I've been doing this a bit, I see painting figures is not as hard to do as I thought it would be. I don't think I'm very skillful, but even someone with little skill can get, I think pretty fair results. The edges on the figures makes it very easy to get the colors to stay where it should for the most part.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 12, 2015

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Crosspost from the Mini Painting thread:

Iris of Ether posted:

I just finished painting a huge figure of my own:

Glow-in-the-dark eyes!

Poor Life Choices™

I got it done just in time for my friend's birthday, too, so she'll get the chance to have a horrifying 'friend' from the deep on her shelf now. :3:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Crosspost!

JackMann posted:

Linen white is one of the only paints where I've actually finished off the bottle. That and Walnut Brown.

Speaking of Reaper stuff, someone pointed out that the mousling was missing something. Musketeer for scale.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Iris of Ether posted:

Crosspost from the Mini Painting thread:

loving amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If folks are looking for cheap Dragons Don't Share, Khanjira, etc, I'm liquidating my Bones 2 stock at the moment. Lots of stuff can be had for basically a dollar or two above the kickstarter price, and prices on the Bones 1 stuff has been dropped too.

Khanjira's 35 bucks, and DDS is 50, most things are cheaper than even TheWarStore. The Core Set and Expansions are pricier since they go for quite a lot on Ebay, but I'm selling them for a bit less than Ebay prices, shipped.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699976&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post441380143

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes, this is exactly what I want.

Clearly female, clearly feminine, without tits falling out or whatever, complete with a real badass stance and tons of details. Hell, even Sophie's cleaning up her act a bit.

No thong bikini, she seems to actually be wearing a full-body flowing dress. The Modern Succubus, she is.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That Oni is loving dope.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

They really got the look of the art down on that oni. I'm loving it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes, this is exactly what I want.

Clearly female, clearly feminine, without tits falling out or whatever, complete with a real badass stance and tons of details.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I ordered another pretty deadly cause that lady oni :swoon:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Foolster41 posted:

I was thinking mixing paints would be a lot harder, but I'm trying to not spend money if I feel I don't have to, so I used a Army Painter Alien "Purple color" which is a very deep purple and mixed with white. Mixing is a easier than I thought! (i also mixed the silver with black to get the darker black for the minigun guy's gun and backpack above,

The color scheme is based on Winry Rockbell. I think I've stumbled upon a theme for my raiders faction in fallout, warfare. I already planned on painting a female sniper in the color scheme of Yoko Littner from Gurren lagen, and now I've been collecting pallets of other characters.

I wish there were more shirtless modern dude figures with a cape or coat, I might have to do doubles for Kamida and Simon.

Now that I've been doing this a bit, I see painting figures is not as hard to do as I thought it would be. I don't think I'm very skillful, but even someone with little skill can get, I think pretty fair results. The edges on the figures makes it very easy to get the colors to stay where it should for the most part.

You need to work on making sure your coats and coverage is even - just on that figure I can see several patches that are missing paint, or where colors have overlapped. Part of it is brush control, part of it is making sure the lighting is good (I always miss bits and make mistakes when the lighting is bad).

Also, I know you don't want to spend money, but pick up some washes, you'll see an immediate improvement for little effort.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Guess what showed up in the mail today!

I had totally forgotten about our little wager here on the kickstarter final tally, and wasn't reeeaaally expecting to see anything in the mail, so I was a bit confused when a small package showed up with something about goons as the sender. Signal is the man of the hour, though, and comes through with a nice little fighter dude! He'll fit right in and will certainly see time on the table. As always, the camera is harsh, it looks nicer in person. :)

All you other deadbeats can feel bad now because you are deadbeats! :v:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Wait, so yours is missing a chunk of his head too? Is he supposed to be like that?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The head's just a bit parallelogramish, looks like. The detail is all there, it's just squished one way. Looks like a conversion of one of their older sculpts.

Also, that upped my painted bones count by 8%! I think I'll put him.......riiiiiiiiiiight......HERE.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You need to work on making sure your coats and coverage is even - just on that figure I can see several patches that are missing paint, or where colors have overlapped. Part of it is brush control, part of it is making sure the lighting is good (I always miss bits and make mistakes when the lighting is bad).

Also, I know you don't want to spend money, but pick up some washes, you'll see an immediate improvement for little effort.

Yeah, I usually have spots like those show up, and I go back and have to repaint again. I noticed this, but I'm waiting until I paint another figure to do more painting. It took a few passes with my other figures to cover them. It looks like i'm hitting all of the areas that turn out white later, but when it dries it just disappears, particularly on ridges. I'm not sure why.

I have a home-made wash (though I did't wash this one yet), though I think I got the formula wrong, and I have to start over with it, or just buy one.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Bad Munki posted:

All you other deadbeats can feel bad now because you are deadbeats! :v:

I haven't forgotten, I've just been drowning in schoolwork since the beginning of the semester. Plus, commission work, which takes priority.

also I can't find the terrible model I wanted to paint for you so I have to settle on a non-awful model, ugh

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Slimnoid posted:

also I can't find the terrible model I wanted to paint for you so I have to settle on a non-awful model, ugh

No, this is important, give me all the terrible.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Bad Munki posted:

No, this is important, give me all the terrible.

Are you sure you want the masterpiece on the left?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

M...mom?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

The head's just a bit parallelogramish, looks like. The detail is all there, it's just squished one way. Looks like a conversion of one of their older sculpts.

Also, that upped my painted bones count by 8%! I think I'll put him.......riiiiiiiiiiight......HERE.

I'm glad I could contribute even a little to helping that wall of shame :D

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, I usually have spots like those show up, and I go back and have to repaint again. I noticed this, but I'm waiting until I paint another figure to do more painting. It took a few passes with my other figures to cover them. It looks like i'm hitting all of the areas that turn out white later, but when it dries it just disappears, particularly on ridges. I'm not sure why.

I have a home-made wash (though I did't wash this one yet), though I think I got the formula wrong, and I have to start over with it, or just buy one.

Are you priming your figures?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are you priming your figures?

That may be my problem, I hadn't because I was told reaper figures don't need priming. I'd been just doing a coat of black on the crevices, as I was shown in the workshop I went to.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You don't need to prime, but do make sure you wash them before you paint, and leave each layer enough time to dry before handling, and don't thin your first layer. Acrylic can be a little fragile for a couple of days after first application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

You don't need to prime, but do make sure you wash them before you paint, and leave each layer enough time to dry before handling, and don't thin your first layer. Acrylic can be a little fragile for a couple of days after first application.

You may find spray priming easier anyway, generally it gives a nicer "tooth" for paint to adhere to than just the bare resin. Just aim for a thin, even coat of primer.

• Locked thread