Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Those hobgobs look nice, which is great because I already ordered three sets so I can have a dozen to use.

Still mad about the valkyrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

I just remembered I owe Bad Munki a painted Bone. I bet I'm not the only gambler who forgot. :(

I'm sorry Bad Munki.

I thought you sent me an invisible stalker.

in an invisible box

it's very well done

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
No, no, that was from me.

I still owe Munki a mini too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

senrath posted:

So apparently the Solar posted before wasn't the right one (it was one of several possible versions, but wasn't the one they actually were going with). The only difference is in the face, and it looks a lot less like a lion and more like a bestial human.

The backdown is strong with mantic

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I like the correct Solar better, it's a little less deviantart, a little more thundercats

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

For shame, people. All the cool kids already sent him their model.
:colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I thought you sent me an invisible stalker.

in an invisible box

it's very well done

I sent you a doppleganger. It's, um... one of those other things you got recently. Pretending to be it. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

An idea so crazy it just might work!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cross bonesin'

NTRabbit posted:

:puckout: OATH COMPLETE :puckout:

Same angle I know, but this is my first attempt at trying a backdrop in my lightbox, wanted to see how it turned out

Needs ironing and less zoom

It's going to be a beast of nature in Kings of War

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I like the high contrast pallet. I found the Bulette to be a lot of fun to paint.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How much longer will the pledge manager remain open?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think that it stays open until June? They said they would keep it open until several months before fulfillment for people to add things they wanted, and I don't think I have seen any updates about it closing earlier. I imagine we will get a rash of reminder emails to encourage people to add in more before they close it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Paolomania posted:

I like the high contrast pallet. I found the Bulette to be a lot of fun to paint.

Cheers, it's representing a unit with a lightning spell, so I wanted it to be blue, and the darkest blue I had looked really nice after a lighter shade of blue proved too light. The body is pink because it's meant to also be earth elemental themed, so I figured dwarf flesh painted thinly over squid pink would have a nice marsupial mole feel to it. Contrast worked better than I was hoping, especially since the first blue I used was ultramarine, and the midnight blue over the top was thin enough to make depth by accident.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I'll cross bone too :)

Schmetterling posted:

Oath Complete!

The Barn Owlbear is leaping for the Theme.

Probably :nws: if you enlarge the thumbnail, the succubus wears her heart on her chest for the Theme.

I wanted to do a non-red demon, and I think the blues and purples came out well.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

It's going to be a beast of nature in Kings of War

Neat, what paints did you use for the pink/fleshy colour? That scheme would look good for some Fallout-style molerats.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Weirdo posted:

Neat, what paints did you use for the pink/fleshy colour? That scheme would look good for some Fallout-style molerats.

The scales are VGC Squid Pink, then a thin layer of VGA Dwarf Skin. The belly is VMC Light Flesh, and the claws are Reaper Caucasian Flesh. The lot was then washed in SW Flesh Wash, before I went over the scales and edge highlighted them in Squid Pink again.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Schmetterling posted:

I'll cross bone too :)

I love the :swoon: eyes on the owlbear :3:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am trying to really finalize my pledge for Bones (ie, stop giving reaper more money). I decided that I need a dragon because in all my years of fantasy miniature addiction I have never actually gotten one, and this seems a pretty good chance. So what's the best one in the current offering?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tiamat

It's all the dragons

ALL OF THEM

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's hard to pick a best one, but imo Viridius is the worst one, it has some distinct features that should make it cool in thery, but that neck to torso join is really bad.

Kyphrixis with its integral stone base and majestic pose might be the best one for painting if you just want it to display... after :science: TIAMAT :science:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 4, 2016

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The one with the rider looked the sweetest?

I switched my pledge to all of the dragons and nothing else after some reconsideration. I'm kinda tempted to get a mystic circle though, it seems like it would be interesting wargaming terrain?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A few minutes with a sharp carving knife and some styrofoam will get you all the mystic circles and standing stones you could ever need.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I am not a big fan of Viridius and Diabolus because there seems to be something off with their overall anatomy. They are not really terrible, just not as good as the others.

I think I am going to end up choosing betwee Kypthrixis and Lavarath (the one with the rider) but I dunno, maybe I just need multiple dragons!

Bad Munki posted:

Tiamat

It's all the dragons

ALL OF THEM

You make a good point, but I should have specified that I am looking for a miniature dragon :v:

Spiderdrake posted:

I switched my pledge to all of the dragons and nothing else after some reconsideration. I'm kinda tempted to get a mystic circle though, it seems like it would be interesting wargaming terrain?

I am currently getting the Mythos expansion for neat lovecraft stuff, and the Graveyard expansion for some nice terrain - I think it will work well for something like Frostgrave or more spread out for something like Warmachine. The crypt looks pretty great, especially because the interior is nicely detailed as well so you could break it up if you wanted. I am probably also going to get the Mystic circle because in pieces it makes decent basic terrain and you can put it all together for a big centerpiece element.

Bad Munki posted:

A few minutes with a sharp carving knife and some styrofoam will get you all the mystic circles and standing stones you could ever need.
You aren't wrong, but the one from Bones is going to be way more durable in terms of having stuff bounce off it, or if you want to take it to different gaming locations. It's also only $15, which is probably worth it to me just to to not have to clean up after cutting a bunch of styrofoam. On the other hand, that $15 is a whole other dragon, so its not really best value unless you're already feeling pretty solid for miniatures.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Get Tiamat, leave the heads detachable, and finally role play this:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ashcans posted:

You aren't wrong, but the one from Bones is going to be way more durable in terms of having stuff bounce off it, or if you want to take it to different gaming locations. It's also only $15, which is probably worth it to me just to to not have to clean up after cutting a bunch of styrofoam. On the other hand, that $15 is a whole other dragon, so its not really best value unless you're already feeling pretty solid for miniatures.

You're paying $15 for the convenience of having durable terrain that you don't have to assemble yourself and which you can get right to painting the moment you open the box. As someone who has had hand-made terrain disintegrate due to ham-fisted players not paying due respect, I'll take that convenience for stuff that won't be destroyed when someone breathes on it funny.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Slimnoid posted:

You're paying $15 for the convenience of having durable terrain that you don't have to assemble yourself and which you can get right to painting the moment you open the box. As someone who has had hand-made terrain disintegrate due to ham-fisted players not paying due respect, I'll take that convenience for stuff that won't be destroyed when someone breathes on it funny.

Oh well that's easy to deal with see you simply take the carved up piece of styrofoam and seal it with a bit of resin and then use some RTV silicone to make a two-part mold and then use that mold to cast more durable standing stone in plaster or resin and then just do a little cleanup on the final casting and OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

New question about the existing Bones models!

I have been horribly bad about moving forward any of my actual miniature projects, and I want to try and kickstart myself with some random fun figures that I don't care about ruining. Anyone have recommendations from the Bones range already in production for figures that are cheap, characterful, and interesting to paint? I don't care about setting/theme at all, whatever might be inspiring works.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ashcans posted:

I have been horribly bad about moving forward any of my actual miniature projects, and I want to try and kickstart myself with some random fun figures that I don't care about ruining. Anyone have recommendations from the Bones range already in production for figures that are cheap, characterful, and interesting to paint? I don't care about setting/theme at all, whatever might be inspiring works.

Their collection of orcs in bonesium is pretty good. And if you track down someone still trying to sell some of the original bones kickstarters, there was a box of like 30 of the fuckers for ten bucks, you might be able to get a nice pile of those on the cheap that way, and then you've got a bunch of duplicates which I always like when I'm playing around with styles/themes/techniques, good for comparing the end results.

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones%20orc

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I enjoyed painting the Bones trolls (released before the Kickstarter) and the purple worm - lots of character and texture.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ashcans posted:

If you like big creatures, Nathavarr is a very good set and comes with a big-rear end dragon, some terrain, and some fun heroes.

Their minotaurs are good, and they have a lot of very fun wizards.

And a cyber-gorilla.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ashcans posted:

After painting a few, I'd say that it's more fun to paint big Bones models than small ones. The detail gets a bit annoying and won't come off as nicely as in hard plastic or metal on the smaller stuff IMHO. But I'm currently painting this troll, and it's a blast. I also really liked painting the Bugbear.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thespaceinvader posted:

If you like big creatures, Nathavarr is a very good set and comes with a big-rear end dragon, some terrain, and some fun heroes.

Their minotaurs are good, and they have a lot of very fun wizards.

And a cyber-gorilla.

It's under Dragons Don't Share on the reaper site, Nathavarr doesn't turn up any results

I enjoyed painting Hill Giant Golan and Hill Giant Krug

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Their collection of orcs in bonesium is pretty good.

I've also seen these converted into mutant Vikings and ogres with a simple headswap - they're probably the best way to get into KoW Ogres on the cheap.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

moths posted:

I've also seen these converted into mutant Vikings and ogres with a simple headswap - they're probably the best way to get into KoW Ogres on the cheap.

Any chance you have pics?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I wish I'd saved them. IIRC one guy used KoW ogre heads to make them ogres, while someone else used chaos warrior heads to make Humongous-style mutant barbarian / marauders.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Thanks for the advice guys! I am going to pick up the cyber-gorilla and the ankheg, and probably another one of the larger models (still debating which one). I am also going to grab a couple man-size ones so I can get a sense of what those are like for detail, etc. Dragons Don't Share looks awesome, but hits a little bit above the size of project I am aiming for.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The recent ogres and bugbears are real good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ashcans posted:

Thanks for the advice guys! I am going to pick up the cyber-gorilla and the ankheg, and probably another one of the larger models (still debating which one). I am also going to grab a couple man-size ones so I can get a sense of what those are like for detail, etc. Dragons Don't Share looks awesome, but hits a little bit above the size of project I am aiming for.

I'd recommend the Pathfinder Red Dragon as being probably the most fun one I've painted so far and with the least issues.

The Owlbear is great.

The Storm Giant is good if you want to practice painting muscles...

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

So in conclusion, just go pick out whatever you think looks sweet as hell cause there's a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yep, and it's all at a pretty great price point.

• Locked thread