Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Bad Munki posted:

I'm looking forward to trying to embed LEDs in the bottoms of those translucent undead/elemental ones. :3:

Oh man I want to do this now.

CR2450s have long shelf lives, and can run a lot of current. Additionally (and perhaps best of all) its almost a perfect 25mm base. Couple that with some tiny 1.6mm LEDS and some resistors and you've got a glowing model in theory. You could probably even get some itty bitty switches and hide them under some simple model tombstones or something.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Bad Munki posted:

Everything I've heard says that you can actually get away without the resistor on a watch battery because they have such a high internal resistance. That's what I did for my glowing-rune standing stones, just wrapped an LED on to a 2032 and tucked it up inside the thing. They'd burn nice and bright for hours and hours and hours.

I think you'd want one on the ones I linked, since they are pretty small, and the voltage & amperage on the watch batteries I linked is kind of high (I couldn't find a weaker battery with a 25mm diameter) but yeah depending on LEDs you could probably get away with it.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Well, they can just email Reaper and ask them not to put anything non-fantasy in there. And pay extra for individual packing :v:

It seems a bit of an abitrary distinction to me as well, but having more sophie swap type things would've been neat. Seriously, when they offered that swap out Sophie option my respect for them just skyrocketed.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

JackMann posted:

Well, here's a fun case of entitlement. Keep reading this guy's posts throughout the thread. It's an astonishing case of just not getting it.

The funny thing is, that entitlement would make sense in a lot of contexts, just not this one. People who didn't have any modifications are getting their pledges first, because they can practically Drop-Ship them. They just toss the label on the box and send it, no shuffling required. Someone with an extremely complex order is going to take more time, because they actually have to move some things around, make sure its correct.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, I think everyone in this thread agrees that you'd have to literally throw out like half your order before you started to worry about not getting your money's worth.

After I pledged, I told my wife. When I told her I'd just spent a hundred bucks on D&D minis, she got annoyed, "You know I hate how overpriced those are, like its honestly not worth it." Then I showed he how many we were getting, and she just started laughing because we're pretty much set on minis now, and she's not going to have to chat up creepy dudes behind the FLGS counter to get them to part with their few remaining boxes of WotC ones at a price that isn't best described as "astronomical"

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Ravendas posted:

They got back to me about my problem.

Get a Cthulhu and some of the deep dwellers. I am regretting not getting a Cthulhu now (the concept art was all there was to go off, and I wasn't sold) because they turned out really nice.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
So out of curiousity, if I wanted to get enough paint to do the entire set (or more specifically for my wife to do it, because I cannot paint for poo poo) will any acrylic paint do? I ask because getting enough cool colors in official miniature paint is hella pricey, and since minis are a well known racket it wouldn't surprise me one bit if regular acrylic would work just as well.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

This is still a pretty killer deal. These are Badger's new "Minitaire" paints, which are intended for airbrushes, but that really just means they're nicely thinned. Which is what you have to do to most paint (including miniature-specific paints like games workshop, reaper, etc.) anyway to get nice smooth coverage.

They're constantly out of stock but I ordered some anyway in early February and got my set in mid-March. So far I'm liking them a lot, both for airbrushing straight and for brushing on. The metallics aren't as nice as GW metallics, and the ghost tints kind of work a little differently than GW inks/glazes, but for $130 with free shipping it's a crazy deal compared to 80 paints from any other miniature-paint company.

That is not half bad. I've been looking for Coat d'Arms stuff after reading up on the issue. Its the company that used to make GW paint, and as such is devoid of the citadel markup. That said I also just barely lost an ebay auction on a HUGE lot of Reaper master paints for about $1.15 a bottle, so I might keep trying on ebay while I wait for shipping confirmation. Anyone have some advice on a decent set of brushes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Weird, why would they do that? Seems like a lot of extra labor for someone and its not like anyone buying these is averse to gluing some arms on.

I know a few people actually who'd normally want nothing to do with the miniatures scene, and are buying these because most minis that help with games like D&D are colossally overpriced. Even having plain grey ones is a step up for some from pogs.

• Locked thread