Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Otisburg posted:

So I got Cthluhu and the Mythos horrors and some of the erstatz deep ones. What would be a good way to combine these with the zombie survivor/shotgun badass/etc minis for some tabletop madness? I want to actually use the Cthulhu for something game-ey at some point rather than just have it sit on a shelf staring out, unused, unloved. Dead but dreaming.

The answer is always Gamma World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:drat:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

I ordered this gem storage set up and will be setting it up as soon as it arrives. I've been using snapware for years with custom made foam sections from furniture foam. The snapware works well in theory but the lids don't always stay on so you need to be careful or strap the boxes together to be safe.

http://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-quest-for-perfect-miniatures.html

Holy poo poo that's brilliant.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Germ posted:

I actually painted a Bones mini! This is the Mashaaf model that I'll be using as a Chimera in my Nurgle-themed Warhammer Fantasy army. I didn't use the base it came on; rather, I modeled up a set of maggot bases and cast them up in resin. the Mashaaf model is incredible; really huge and full of character.

I've been tempted to grab one, and I really should have during the KS, but due to sudden fund allocations I couldn't really indulge in minis at the time.

Your painting style really captures it, and it looks fantastic. Could it be possible to put a regular infantry-sized guy next to it for scale?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Germ posted:

Ack! Packed up the camera and lightbox, so :effort:

How about a Putrid Blightking? That, I have a shot of. Blightkings are on 40mm bases and a bit smaller than GW Ogres and a bit larger than regular infantry:

That's perfect. I think I might show this to my Nurgle CSM friend as an idea for Maulerfiends.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

How tall is the Minotaur Lord, by the way? From the highest shoulder to foot, preferably, but how high the halberd would also be nice.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I don't know, but since you bring that model up, I just wanted to say that I was tempted to get it but in retrospect am glad I didn't. It's got a pretty severe case of tiny head syndrome that either wasn't on the preliminary picture or that I didn't realize at the time. I guess some people prefer that look (most obviously, the sculptor) but it's a big turnoff for me.

Maybe I can find something that'd make an appropriate headswap, if I ever find the time for such a project.

I've seen it in person briefly and the head really isn't all that tiny, though I can see why that'd be a problem for you. Maybe get one of the Beastmen minotaur heads or something? Bulk up the back with more hair with greenstuff? I dunno.

The halberd is pretty noodly though and really needs a hot water bath.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Wasn't the easiest thing to measure, but I make it 95mm from foot to the flat part on top of his shoulder (not the spikes or ring), and when held straight the halberd is 130mm

Not as tall as I thought, but it'll do. Thanks!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

moths posted:

Does anyone have figure suggestions for a good vampire to mount on Nethermaul, or how I'd even go about doing that?

Probably the one that comes on the VC zombie dragon. As to where to mount him: probably between the wings. There's a spot right there that ought to be good, though you might have to built a saddle or something to make him fit properly.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JackMann posted:

I like the big eldritch betentacled thing pretty well.

Looks like a Dark Young from Lovecraft. Probably for the Pathfinder RPG.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

moths posted:

I saw some pretty cool Wyrmgear 40k conversions, aside from him and that Gorgon are there any large mechanical-looking Bones kits that would make great Daemon Engines?

Not really. Mashaaf could work well as Nurgle-aligned Maulerfiend though (or as a giant chaos spawn).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I'm tempted to get a set of those crusaders and see if they'll be convertible into pre-heresy marines somehow. If not, they'll be usable as generic knights for wargames/RPGs like someone said. At five for $8 it seems hard to go too far wrong.

You could always make them Crusaders for an Inquisitorial warband.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

90 dollars for a trio of Basilisks, there's a perfect place to start!

I dunno man, I'm seeing IG Basilisks on ebay for cheaper than that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JackMann posted:

Bryan posted this picture over on the Reaper boards:

He is just begging for a guitar.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, brand new ones? A bit surprised by that, unless age of sigmor has also damaged 40k by its mere existence.

Nah, not brand new, but I've seen one or two still on sprue go for like $17-20.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

If it reaches the goal I will totally buy that $60 monstrosity and paint it purely for the challenge of it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Throwing in at 2.15 million.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Whoops, yeah. 2.1 mil then.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Bad Munki is getting whatever miniature I deem fit to send him.

It will be horrible, I assure you, as befitting any goon who wins a bet.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

You better believe I will. There will be no shortage of shame heaped upon any dip-painted minis. "Blue Man Group Orc" will be shunned.

Even with the worst model I have, I'm still going to put more effort into it than it rightly deserves.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

All you other deadbeats can feel bad now because you are deadbeats! :v:

I haven't forgotten, I've just been drowning in schoolwork since the beginning of the semester. Plus, commission work, which takes priority.

also I can't find the terrible model I wanted to paint for you so I have to settle on a non-awful model, ugh

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

No, this is important, give me all the terrible.

Are you sure you want the masterpiece on the left?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ashcans posted:

You aren't wrong, but the one from Bones is going to be way more durable in terms of having stuff bounce off it, or if you want to take it to different gaming locations. It's also only $15, which is probably worth it to me just to to not have to clean up after cutting a bunch of styrofoam. On the other hand, that $15 is a whole other dragon, so its not really best value unless you're already feeling pretty solid for miniatures.

You're paying $15 for the convenience of having durable terrain that you don't have to assemble yourself and which you can get right to painting the moment you open the box. As someone who has had hand-made terrain disintegrate due to ham-fisted players not paying due respect, I'll take that convenience for stuff that won't be destroyed when someone breathes on it funny.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I'm really on the fence about getting the not-Tiamat.

On the one hand, it's flippin' huge and looks really great. Nice detail, great design, and it's only $60.

On the other hand, that $60 could get me a lot more models, and I question as to whether or not I'll ever actually paint the drat thing. I have their Cthulhu and I haven't so much as looked at it since I bought it some time last year. I'm also looking to spend at most a $100, and $50 of it is pretty much automatically taken by the Graveyard expansion. Additionally, a friend is getting Ma'aldrakar, so if I want to see one in person I can always go over their place and marvel at something neither of us will ever paint.

:sigh:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Really, I'd advise you to pass on it. You already have a big gribbly you admit you haven't done anything with, so you can pretty much guess the trajectory on this one too. Especially if you are trying to keep your cost down, you can either spend that $60 on that enormous dragon.... or you could get the base set (30 miniatures, I think?) or get one the regular dragons and the one of the other expansions, or four other small dragons, or... you get the idea. I think its an amazing miniature, but I know that I can get the same outcome by putting a large box in my closet and pretending it's actually in there. Instead I'm blowing my budget on a whole bunch of smaller miniatures that I might actually paint and use.

Yeah that's pretty much my guiding principle here. I'd rather have a bunch of attainable-to-paint stuff than one big dream project I'll never do.

It's a bit sad to think about but I'm sure I can buy it down the road if I ever do get a wild hair up by rear end about painting something large.

Leperflesh posted:

Or you can do what I do: triple your budget, spend it all on the smaller and medium sized minis, and then never paint any of them!

Like I said before, my rates are very reasonable. :whatup:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

How much do you charge, to give me the sense of fulfillment and accomplishment and pride of ownership of having painted all my own minis? Also please throw in an estimate for satisfying my powerful nostalgia for a youth spent playing tabletop minis games that never actually happened, but which I wished had been happening when I was a teenager? Lastly, please provide a summary of charges for having people I respect come over to my place and lavish me with peer approval in recognition of my unparalleled and highly valued miniature painting skills?

About :10bux: and a bottle of Dad's Old Fashioned root beer.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Went and finalized my order.

quote:

Kyra and Lavarath x1
Undying Lords x1
Titans of the Tide x1
Fire Giant Jailor x1
Fire Giant Warrior & Bodyguard x1
Mr & Mrs Bones x1
Armory of the Grave x3
Graveyard Expansion x1
Kyphrixis x1
Armory of Vice x1

It's a little more than I intended to spend ($120) but I grabbed all the stuff that I both wanted, and figured I'd actually paint at some point.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I may well never get round to painting my Bones which would be a shame :(

Just paint up models for the heck of it. It'll keep your skills sharp and prevent you from falling out of practice.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JackMann posted:

I got a rock.

You lucky bastard. All I got was a skeleton holding an axe :sigh:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm too lazy to take proper care of an airbrush. Cleaning the whole thing out just to swap colors? Ugh.

As Felime said, cleaning an airbrush isn't terribly difficult. In fact, all you really need is water and airbrush cleaner (which in my case is just glass cleaner) and running it through a couple of times to flush out whatever colors you used. Maybe take out the needle and wipe it down with a clean cloth, but a good airbrush requires minimal care to keep it going. The Patriot 105 is especially good for this, as that thing is the AK-47 of goddamn airbrushes; it'll work through virtually any abuse you put it through, and any it can't, Badger's got a limited lifetime warranty.

The REAL problem* with airbrushing, really, is finding a proper place to use it. Having a place to ventilate the air is pretty important (though I've gotten away with just using the basement), especially if you or someone you're living with is susceptible to airborne particles. A respirator will run you maybe $30 and will keep your throat from being ravaged by whatever noxious poo poo you blow out into the air; combine it with a ventilation box and airbrushing becomes pretty safe.

Absolutely the biggest advantages to airbrushing is priming, base-coating, and varnishing. Even if all you use it is for is those reasons, you're cutting out a lot of time and energy, and the up-front cost saves you a lot in the long run. Being able to prime and varnish at any time of the year is incredibly useful.

* The other problem is of course, learning how to thin paint down to the proper consistency. I can't be assed most of the time and just use ready-made paints like Vallejo and Minitaire, but if there's custom colors you want to use, you'll have to learn it the hard way.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kyra and Lavarath x1
Undying Lords x1
Titans of the Tide x1
Fire Giant Jailor x1
Fire Giant Warrior & Bodyguard x1
Mr & Mrs Bones x1
Armory of the Grave x3
Graveyard Expansion x1
Kyphrixis x1
Armory of Vice x1

I resisted getting the not-Tiamat because I knew I'd never actually paint the drat thing, and I really have nowhere to put such a massive thing. Plus, a friend got it as their sole pledge, so I at least get a chance to see it first-hand whenever our orders come in.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Same, but I didn't let rational decision making like that stop me from getting it anyway :downsgun:

Additional rationale is that someone is undoubtedly going to want to commission me to paint it somewhere down the road and the thought of painting two of them fills me with an existential dread that's beyond description.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm kinda feeling the same way, though that's mostly because I can't quite figure out how to put the roof onto the mausoleum so that it's removable.

I've been debating on how to do that too ever since I saw the update featuring it. Is there nothing for the roof to kind of 'catch' on to let it rest? If not, I suspect you could do something with plasticard to create little notches somewhere. Maybe with rare earth magnets while you're at it, if you're whacko enough.

Since I'm in wave 3 I won't be getting my mausoleum until at the very least next week (and probably closer to the week of June 5th), but I'm determined to make the roof detachable.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

It's happening.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I got my order in today :toot:

I got everything I ordered with two exceptions: the Frost Giants. I instead got the Fire Giant Warrior and Bodyguard. Whoops! I'll have to wait until Reaper posts instructions on how to fix an order, but since they're the only parts that got messed up I'm not too hung up on it. They're still nice models anyway so if I get to keep them (which is likely the case) then I'll consider it a bonus.

Edit: Actually I'm a moron and thought I ordered something entirely different. My pledge manager told the truth and I got everything I originally ordered. Whoops!

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 8, 2017

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I put together that ship golem and drat, he's pretty big.

He's about 5 1/2" tall and pretty easy to put together. Only 6 pieces, too: legs, torso, two arms, face plate, and tiny shoulder cannon. The arms were pretty bent and had to do the hot/cold water reshaping trick to get them into place, but other than that assembly was a breeze.

Fauxtool posted:

hey this giant dragon i bought is way too big. I knew it was big from the pictures, but jesus christ its too much
Does anyone want to buy my maaldrakar off me? I cant see myself ever painting something this big

If you're in the US I might be interested.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

california

PM me so we can discuss details.

JerryLee posted:

"See that anchor up there? Guess where it's going to go."

I'm gonna use this line for my next D&D-ish game.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I feel like someone mentioned this before but I couldn't find it.

I was sorting through the Graveyard set, and I'm a little confused by the fences and posts. There are a bunch of stone posts that are intended to go between the fence sections. Based on the design and pictures, they should go with the wider section at the top - this is the only way the fences fit flush. But the top of the posts have holes in them. In the same bag are a bunch of little squares that I assume are intended to plug the holes, but they have 'Made in China' on one side and a huge piece of flash on the other. Neither of these seems like a great choice for post top - I'll have to sand the words away or trim down the flash.

Am I missing something here, or is this just awkward step you have to take in assembly? It's hardly the end of the world and I am guessing there is some reason they couldn't orient them with the hollow section at the bottom, it's just surprising because everything else is so painless.

Yeah, you're supposed to glue the little squares down on the top there. Cutting the flash off and sanding it down was pretty quick and painless, compared to trying to get rid of the 'made in china' lettering.

I think someone else mentioned it here, but the lettering was probably part of their deal with the Chinese factory that manufactured the stuff. Gotta be printed somewhere on the piece in question.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Managed to sneak in a Wave 1 $1 pledge. If nothing else I'm in for that sweet zombie dragon when it gets unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

People who paint their skeletons all one color are not doing a good job painting skeletons. Real life bones are usually not a uniform white.

e. That sounded overly snarky so I'll just add that in addition to doing nicely browned natural bone looks, there's no reason why your skeletons can't be for example painted with magic runes or decorated with scary red sigils or something.

This. I painted my entire KoW army with blue skeletons because why the gently caress not, and they ended up going together really well as a result.

• Locked thread