Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I found out that I put in for Nethyrmaul, Kaladrax Reborn, and C'thulhu! I feel like I just got a hi-five from myself last year.

Something I didn't realize is that you can download the PDF game and eBook from your pledge manager. So that's something to look at this weekend.

I emailed Reaper earlier today (about ten minutes before the update went out) to ask if everything was going out at once or if complicated orders would go out later. Kit just wrote me back(!) and said Kaladrax puts me into Wave 2. It's also pretty rad that they wrote me back the same day. And also that he's still at work at like 8PM the night before a three-day weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's some kind of OSR fantasy thing called Swords & Wizardy, but it's gotten a bunch of awards so it may be pretty OK! At the price, I cannot legitimately complain.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm considering "painting" most of my bones with a black wash and using them as playing pieces. I don't want to go nuts, but I'd like a look that compliments the printed out terrain I'm into using.

But man alive I'm having trouble finding a wash that gets along with the bones plastic. Going to try GW's Nuln Oil next.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've had limited success with some washes, but I can't shake the feeling there's a perfect one I can produce in bulk.

I've read about gloss coating and then applying an oil wash, so the plastic surface would behave similar to a gloss coated model? I admit that I'm afraid of oil-based anything after a childhood of Testors ruining every brush and airplane my parents bought me. What's a good starting point for oil washes?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does anyone else remember them estimating MSRP at ~2x KS pledge levels? I know there were a few things I passed on, thinking that I'd be saving :10bux: at most, but the $75 tag on Kaladrax really caught me off-guard.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, I don't think they were trying to gouge anyone - if anything they left money on the table by underestimating costs in those cases.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've been prepping to run the 3.5 Expedition to Castle Ravenloft in 13th Age. The Vampire box should have enough figures to represent each unique NPC and most of the monsters. And then I put all the Castlevania chiptunes onto an MP3 player with built-in speaker. This is going to be the best game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Do NOVA Marines come from a specific setting or is that just Reaper for SciFi soldiers?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, it's crazy how people can be mad about bonus figures they can use in almost any SciFi setting, even near-future stuff.

But it's RPGs and the internet. People get mad here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It always seemed weird to me that Reaper's mascot character was a succubus with a clothes allergy instead of, you know, a reaper.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

JerryLee posted:

It looks about as good as what I could do. :smith:

There's skill there but unless you're colorblind I hope you could pick out a better scheme.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there an email when your stuff ships?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cool, I'll watch for that email then. Thanks for the information.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So what happened? Was it at customs in China and people thought it was in Texas customs?

Also that comments page, holy poo poo. What would they have Reaper do that they aren't already doing?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

After backing Ogre and a number of other delayed projects, I realized kickstarter delivery dates are just happy thoughts and dreams. The wait is part of why you're getting such an amazing deal. I think this may have been a lot of people's introduction to that process.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Have other people get the cases yet? I mean if that's all they ordered.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I got a tracking number! I am much more excited about this than I should be.

Also it looks like a lot of the stuff I passed on didn't get much more expensive. But C'thulhu, Kaladrax, and Nethyrmaul all ballooned to a price I probably wouldn't get them at. (No real use for, but they'd be nice to have.) But I got them! Cheap!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A lot of them are in Reaper's preview gallery.

The biggest increasers (so far):
C'Thulhu: $39.99
Kaladrax: $74.99
Nethermaul: $39.99
Wyrmgear: $24.99
Ebonwrath: $19.99
Vampire Box: $400

And honestly, the Vampire box probably is worth around $400 - especially if you're just getting started or don't own any miniatures.

e:
:stare:
Number of Packages: 1
UPS Service: GROUND
Weight: 9.7 LBS

moths fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 28, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yes, if you click on it the blurb reads:
Contains over 200 Bones polymer miniatures from the Reaper 2012 Kickstarter. Over $500 worth of miniatures for only $400!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I remember both Nethyrmaul and Cthulhu initially being listed much higher initially on the website, maybe that's what he's thinking about? They're both $40 now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Got home to find a mighty box! I can't get over how much bigger this stuff is than it looked!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I seem to be missing my Mr.Bones. I remember there were some problems with that one, is he getting mailed separately?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

TheLawinator posted:

So, what game do we play with all of these? It wouldn't be hard to stat em up in Song of Blades and Heroes, but are there any other skirmish games that can work with this kinda variety?

Did you remember to download the free PRG they bundled in?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I hope I can get an extra Kaladrax base because that thing is cooler than most of the pre made terrain I've seen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Should be easy enough, but the trick is break look organic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Would have been nice if my Mr Bones was included. :(

I can't really do anything about it until I've inventoried everything though, and that's going to take... a while.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fix posted:

It came with Kaldrax Reborn.

poo poo, that's another figure I'm missing. I wasn't sure if she was part if that box or just in the concept art for scale.

Who am I supposed to be emailing about these?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They've also kept their cool throughout a year+ of comments section bullshit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fix posted:

Nothing yet, but they recently put out an advisory warning that might point to changes in the future.

This is probably one of the most well-crafted CYA advisories I've seen. From here KS could do anything between absolutely nothing to eliminating stretch goals, and then point at this message and cite this message as warning of it. Although if stretch goals get barred, they'll probably just be moved off-site to the fulfillment pages and KS can claim even less responsibility for them.

E: I tried to move this over to the industry thread and wound up cross posting in both. :(

moths fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 21, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The NOVA guys look a lot like IntSec officers from Paranoia. I don't know what they'd be doing on a deathtrap ship full of murderous aliens with no chance of survival and given an impossible mission and well yeah ok they make perfect sense in Space Hulk.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I assume it's due to the US international shipping rates skyrocketing after the Kickstarter. If they weren't expecting that (and judging from other KS updates nobody was) they may have had to stagger shipping these huge-rear end boxes - especially if suddenly each box cost more to produce and ship than it brought in.

They couldn't come out and say "Sorry ROW but we're losing money on you" so rather than look like a lovely company, they said nothing. They chose to bleed out shipping costs over an manageable timeframe rather than face a gushing cash hemorrhage geyser all at once. That could be because they didn't have cash on-hand to deal with the suddenly inflated shipping rates, or maybe they didn't want the company to suddenly take a huge financial hit.

It also explains the shift in customer service tone. Everything was great but and suddenly they are in a position where they cannot mail people what they want and have paid for. And they want to do this, and they can't explain why they don't have that cash on hand because nerds don't and will never understand money.

If Bones II is offered to ROW customers, it's going to look very different next time.

This is all crazy :tinfoil: theory, but that's just my guess about what happened to you ROW guys. Does it show postage cost on your boxes? I'm curious if it's much higher than you pledge-paid for.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is that a bionic arm on the drummer? The drummer only has one arm?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What I the most don't like about this is that it's labeled Expansion #1.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Someone in the comments brought up an excellent point, which is that the expansions would be a great way to do the scifi models that were inexplicably hated by so many people last time. As it stands it's a great way to save $50, and pick up the Derro warband when I see it at my LGS.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I still feel weird about the expansion, especially since I'd buy a ton of those zombies for Deadzone

moths
Aug 25, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

Just remember that they will still be available for considerably less than $50 once the KS is over.

Oh definitely, and that's how I'll get the Derro. But horde figures (zombies, goblins, etc) make much more sense as a conventional add-on than as part of a bundle. ( ie: Put it where people will buy many instead of something you'll only buy once.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It devalues the stretch goals when they're bundled with the pile of figures I don't care to spend $50 on.

It's hard to get excited about stuff I'm not getting until retail.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It probably doesn't help that the core bonuses are labeled TREAT, implying that the paid stretch goals are the trick.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Phoon posted:

Probably going to bail on this, depending on how good the mars attacks ks is tomorrow. Mantic are uk based after all.

The shipping waves may have the unintended consequence of backers not jumping ship until the absolute last possible minute.

There are currently (and recently) some really great miniatures kickstarters, and Bones II is also competing with the shadow of Bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's a lot of dragon for :10bux:, drat.

• Locked thread