Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

CaptainSweden posted:

What's funny is that after Donkey Kong was a hit Nintendo was given the license for Popeye and made a Donkey Kong-esque game later on.

What baffles me is why would anyone want to make a Popeye game in the first place. Did anyone even remember Popeye in the 80's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

NeoAnjou posted:

Someone ought to do a great genealogical diagram of which Mario games are considered to be direct sequels / in the same series to others. I thinking something like the Discworld Reading order:

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

For instance:

The Gameboy Series: Super Mario Land > Super Mario Land 2 > Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 > Wario Land II > Wario Land 3 > Wario Land 4

If you're including the Wario Land games you're forgetting the best one (and the best game on its system period), Virtual Boy Wario Land.

On the topic of the LP, you really should finish at least one of the two SMB 2 games, the US one is quite short and pretty easy.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Capilarean posted:

What baffles me is why would anyone want to make a Popeye game in the first place. Did anyone even remember Popeye in the 80's?

You're remembering Popeye right now 30 years after that.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Capilarean posted:

Robin Williams starred in the live action movie in 1980.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
As a child of the 80's, I can assure you that yes, Popeye was a thing at the time. People don't reminisce about him as an 80's thing in the same way people don't reminisce about Bugs Bunny being from the era, because neither were. But I assure you I watched a lot of both as a kid.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

NeoAnjou posted:

The 'main' RPG series: Paper Mario > Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door > Super Paper Mario.

You forgot Super Mario RPG. :colbert:

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Forget the college football metaphor. Picking the shittiest employees to work on the project was like Bad News Bears, Keith.

Why didn't it come to you?

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

NeoAnjou posted:

Someone ought to do a great genealogical diagram of which Mario games are considered to be direct sequels / in the same series to others. I thinking something like the Discworld Reading order:

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg
Man those reading orders really helped me out in book stores. I love the poo poo out of those stories.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

Man those reading orders really helped me out in book stores. I love the poo poo out of those stories.

Am I the only one that just read them in release order? There's a lot of subtle progression in the overall world.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

bobbertoriley posted:

So, who's gonna be our GuidedCosine to complain about Super Mario Sunshine and call F.L.U.D.D. the worst character and argue with everything that's going on?

I will HAPPILY fill this role. gently caress a Super Mario Sunshine. :colbert:

Also, Kyle, man up and play Super Mario Bros. 2. U.S. to completion, you wimp. It's EASY.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Vateke posted:

Am I the only one that just read them in release order? There's a lot of subtle progression in the overall world.

Yeah, but there's a couple stinkers in the early days, at least comparatively. Moving Pictures, Sourcery, everything after the assassin test in Pyramids...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Vateke posted:

I read them in release order also, for the same reason. I also disagree with some of those choices. Unseen Academicals fits in much better with the "Moving Pictures" line than it does the Rincewind line, since Rincewind is only a bit player in UA and it shares some elements with the former. Soul Music, I'd also put into the same chain, for the same reason.

If I were going to categorize them, I'd probably stick to many fewer categories though:

Original Arc
Ankh-Morpork
Lancre
Death

Small Gods is a standalone, and Pyramids can pretty well fit into the Ankh-Morpork arc since it's one of two (four, if you stretched the point rather a lot) books to describe a very important institution to the city.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pkollar posted:

try not to have fun while defying physics in delfino plaza. impossible.

forget the levels and cutscenes. just bounce on awnings and belly slide at 55mph

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

try not to have fun while defying physics in delfino plaza. impossible.

forget the levels and cutscenes. just bounce on awnings and belly slide at 55mph

Oh, I have tried and SUCCEEDED at not having fun. But I'll save that discussion for when they actually get to Super Mario Sunshine in the LP.

Four years from now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Capilarean posted:

Worse. I remember Popeye and Son, where Popeye Jr. doesn't eat spinach.

He eats spinach cookies :shepface:

MaestroUGC
Oct 31, 2012
You know, Sunshine wasn't the best 3D game in the series, but I remember enjoying it back in the day and still do. Apparently I'm in a company all alone there...

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Trash Boat posted:

You forgot Super Mario RPG. :colbert:

I didn't forget - it just doesn't have the same continuity with the Paper Mario series that other games have, so it belongs in a separate category... although admittedly one which only contains itself! Awesome game in general though.

...and as for Discworld (and I apologise to 19LettersLong's for starting this discussion) I think the intention is that lots of people accidentally hit the series mid-flow. I've met a number of people whose first Discworld novel was Small Gods which as has been mentioned, is quite unlike many of the others. It's useful to be able to say to someone 'Oh - you enjoyed XXX, maybe try YYY it's a sequel / it's not a direct sequel but follows a lot of the same themes', or 'Oh - you read ZZZ, try reading AAA instead - it's more like a classical fantasy/hard-boiled detective/historical novel'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Don't think of it as a derail, think of it as the thread having a Pratchett-style footnote :3:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Since it's a fusion of both Sonic and Mario, I personally think that you should do your own version of Somari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5UnpddQFJ8

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

stereobreadsticks posted:

If you're including the Wario Land games you're forgetting the best one (and the best game on its system period), Virtual Boy Wario Land.

On the topic of the LP, you really should finish at least one of the two SMB 2 games, the US one is quite short and pretty easy.

The SNES version of Lost Levels is also much easier than SMB1 with its much more forgiving checkpoints.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I'm more looking forward to Luigi's Mansion becoming the new Tails' Adventure. Good luck you two.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010
Not gonna bother watching anything until a Mario Teaches Typing video is put up.

Seriously though, way to set ambitious goals.
I think I may be looking forward to the games that haven't been posted more than the ones that have though.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Guys, I just want to clear up that if you think we're not going to play the game you REALLY REALLY want us to play, we totally are. The list of games we have is loving disgusting.

pkollar posted:

Also, Kyle, man up and play Super Mario Bros. 2. U.S. to completion, you wimp. It's EASY.
I've actually got a pretty good amount of experience with SMB2 so maybe? It's pretty long, though, and being familiar with it doesn't mean being good at it. So probably not.

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah, but there's a couple stinkers in the early days, at least comparatively. Moving Pictures, Sourcery, everything after the assassin test in Pyramids...
You're crazy, Sourcery was good

NeoAnjou posted:

I think the intention is that lots of people accidentally hit the series mid-flow. I've met a number of people whose first Discworld novel was Small Gods which as has been mentioned, is quite unlike many of the others. It's useful to be able to say to someone 'Oh - you enjoyed XXX, maybe try YYY it's a sequel / it's not a direct sequel but follows a lot of the same themes', or 'Oh - you read ZZZ, try reading AAA instead - it's more like a classical fantasy/hard-boiled detective/historical novel'.
Most people I know started with Mort, which I think is an alright place to being. The only person I know to have started at anything other than Colour of Magic or Mort started at Guards

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Somethingdumb posted:

When I was reading them, I just generally read what looked interesting. Even though there's a progression, the stories themselves are standalone enough that I didn't get confused.

Then again, I also started with Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic, which I've heard people say not to do. I believe I read most of the Rincewind novels in order.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Just here to throw another shout-out to Donkey Kong for the GB. Man, that game was so badass. I remember playing it and being shocked when I was six and it was so much more. :allears:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Maybe to astonish everyone, but the very first Discworld book I ever read was Night Watch.

So, basically, I'm hosed. I started from the best, and now everything else just can't measure up.

Except for Thud! that was really cool.

Oh and Colours of Magic and Equal Rites as well! Wait, was that the one that was basically a parody of Macbeth? I read the witch one where it was Macbeth and the one scene has the old woman nagging the angry soldiers until they feel properly admonished and ashamed of themselves and shuffle out of the door with some apologies, but not before wiping their feet and maybe having a nice spot of tea.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

Maybe to astonish everyone, but the very first Discworld book I ever read was Night Watch.

So, basically, I'm hosed. I started from the best, and now everything else just can't measure up.

Except for Thud! that was really cool.

Oh and Colours of Magic and Equal Rites as well! Wait, was that the one that was basically a parody of Macbeth? I read the witch one where it was Macbeth and the one scene has the old woman nagging the angry soldiers until they feel properly admonished and ashamed of themselves and shuffle out of the door with some apologies, but not before wiping their feet and maybe having a nice spot of tea.

Nope, that's Wyrd Sisters you are talking about. Equal Rites features some of the same characters (Witches), but as far as I can see it is quickly forgotten in the continuity? I don't know, it's weird. I started reading Discworld last year and I'm going in order, I'm up to Moving Pictures (which I sort of like for all the silly movie references, but it will just NOT end) now. My favorites are still the first ones (Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic) with some weak points along the way (Sourcery and Equal Rites ugh). Reading the whole series is a daunting task, seeing as there are like forty books in it by now? And it's starting to get stale, maybe I should mix in other books along the way.

More on topic, this LP is going to be insane. I watched (most of) the Sonic LP, but couldn't really get into some of the other ones you guys have made. You managed to introduce me to GiantBomb at least! And I can see your comedy style is very similar to them. Is the podcast still alive? I also gave a listen to your episodes way back when.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Man I must be the only one who can't stand Rincewind. I get that he's a parody of the typical hero, but he's such a one-trick pony. Every drat story he's in is about him getting into an adventure while desperatly trying avoiding it, whining about how heroes get early grave and are idiots because of it, then do the heroic thing almost always while trying to save his own skin, ,most of the time. I mean it's acceptable for a story or two, but I really got sick of him in later stories.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Let's be honest here. Even the worst Discworld book is gonna be pretty good. There's a quality floor.

MUCH LIKE MARIO GAMES

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Here's the real question: Are you guys going to stream the Super Mario Bros. movie?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh my god, you maniacs. I still don't know how you survived the Sonic thread, and now this?

I also feel like repeating an earlier poster's suggestion, that if you come out of this project alive you should do a Zelda thread. Get all three of the biggest game franchises into a tri(force)fecta of awesome.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

My first experience with Donkey Kong was the arcade version in DK64 where you only had one life and you had to complete the loving thing twice to finish the game. Coupled with the reliance on random chance as you mentioned and the fact that Jumpman was difficult to control (especially on Level 3), it turned me off the drat thing for a while once I'd finished it. Either way it's a really good game, especially since it was the first of its kind.

For anyone interested in the early history of Nintendo and the game industry up to the early 90s, I highly recommend Game Over by David Sheff. It starts off by looking at their early business ideas, such as the Ultra Hand and their light gun ranges, before discussing the development of their early games like Donkey Kong and the Game and Watch series, and ultimately focusing on how Minoru Arakawa and Howard Lincoln built up Nintendo of America - especially after the Video Game Crash of 1983.

Good first video, best of luck for the thread ahead.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

I've actually got a pretty good amount of experience with SMB2 so maybe? It's pretty long, though, and being familiar with it doesn't mean being good at it. So probably not.

Did you guys play like a freakishly different SMB2 than I did? That game can be cleared in an afternoon and really seriously isn't that hard. Or maybe it's just because I always played as Peach and floating is OP.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Markovnikov posted:

Equal Rites features some of the same characters (Witches), but as far as I can see it is quickly forgotten in the continuity?

Pretty much. Equal Rites was Granny Weatherwax's first appearance (not Nanny Ogg or Magrat, though), and Esk is never referenced again until a much, much later book.

So far as Donkey Kong id concerned, though, I can still remember dragging over a stool so I was tall enough to watch my brother play in the arcade (I was five when it came out). Maybe it was because I couldn't actually play them to begin with and got in the habit, but somehow I always preferred watching other people play arcade games to pumping the quarters in myself.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

pkollar posted:

Did you guys play like a freakishly different SMB2 than I did? That game can be cleared in an afternoon and really seriously isn't that hard. Or maybe it's just because I always played as Peach and floating is OP.

Peach isn't as OP as she seems. She's the new player trap. Floating seems like the "easy" button until you play the game a bunch and realize that it's literally the only positive she has as a character. She tall, giving her a massive hitbox, she's slippery as all get out, yet somehow not as fast as the brothers, and she well, throws like a girl, giving her the worst offensive ability, which really hurts you on the bosses. Luigi's the real "easy" button. Mario throws just a little farther, and is a little more precise with his speed and movement, but that high jump makes up for it. There so many spots where it's tricky for some of the characters to progress vertically, while with Weegee, you just say screw it, high jumping past.

The big thing about a lot of the early mario games is that they're like, 85% levels that expect you to work out platforming puzzles, and 15% go as fast as you can levels, but the game is shaped in such a way as to make you think it's encouraging you to move as fast as you can at all times. Usually this makes you move too fast and trick yourself into failing. The whole point of 2j is that it's all puzzle levels where you have to do more than just "run to the goal, jumping over pits and bad guys". The first super mushroom is a puzzle itself, that wants you to jump and hit the brick next to it as little mario to bounce it over the block and out of it's cage. That sets the tone for the rest of the game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Somethingdumb posted:

You're crazy, Sourcery was good

It was better than the other two, but that's because it was pretty much The Light Fantastic again.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
This is going to take years and be glorious. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

The character of this thread is going to be a little different as there aren't so many lovely Mario games. It's not like Sonic where there was a solid, what, decade of marginal at best games? But let's forget that. It's time to Do The Mario.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 1, 2013

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MaestroUGC posted:

You know, Sunshine wasn't the best 3D game in the series, but I remember enjoying it back in the day and still do. Apparently I'm in a company all alone there...

Nah, it's one of my favorites, too, solely because of how much fun it is to run around as Mario. I think I spent as much time racing through elaborate routes in the levels as I did with the actual game. Galaxy was better at pretty much everything else but it's still something Sunshine really nailed.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Sunshine is a fine game, but a poor Mario game. It took the wrong lessons from Mario 64 to heart.

Mario has never been a 3-D exploration game, and making it one was a bad choice. Sunshine does a lot of very nice things, and has a lot of great ideas that would later show up, improved, in Galaxy. But it isn't a very good "Mario" game, and comes across as inferior to its own predecessor in every element besides technical. There's more to say, but it'd be nice if we waited until the game was actually relevant to the LP before dissecting it.

Super Mario World is clearly the best Mario game, and Galaxy 1/2 the best 3-D Mario game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
My only problem with Sunshine is that the actual platforming physics aren't as good at Galaxy. Mario has less friction and I find myself sliding off of platforms far more frequently in that game. In Galaxy, he's very "sticky," and even when he does slide it has a lot of controllable weight to it, which is to the benefit of the platforming.

• Locked thread