Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pungry posted:

Mario Kart Wii is the best Mario Kart, thank you :colbert:

*Stares*

*Points*

*Does that scream thing from Invasion of The Body Snatchers*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Seer235 posted:

Guys, the best Mario Kart is clearly Diddy Kong Racing.

That's a funny way of spelling Crash Team Racing.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The gently caress you all talkin' about, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is the best Mario Kart.

I guess it's not that big a deal but I'm still impressed that you took down SMB in one video. Maybe this venture is a little more feasible than it seems at first glance.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just listened to an hour of you 2 going back and forth while watching Mario Bros.

Loved it. Thanks for doing this project.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have never drank a lick of beer in my 24 years of being alive but if the Mario 2 video starts with "HEY DID YOU KNOW THIS IS DOKI DOKI PANIC IN JAPAN" I may consider starting.

It's not Doki Doki Panic in Japan, it's Super Mario Bros. USA. :v:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Beaten to the joke

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kytrarewn posted:

The thing on that list that had me the most sad was that there were 4 million people (nearly a third of N64 owners) that didn't own Goldeneye and similar penetration for Ocarina of Time.

GTA: San Andreas selling twice as many copies as 3 or Vice City also doesn't help my mood much in that regard (though, I suppose that's probably in part due to the notoriety the "hot coffee mod" controversy caused).
Someone never flew a harvester or took a BMX (or a truck) up Mt. Chilliad.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

The thing on that list that had me the most sad was that there were 4 million people (nearly a third of N64 owners) that didn't own Goldeneye and similar penetration for Ocarina of Time.

GTA: San Andreas selling twice as many copies as 3 or Vice City also doesn't help my mood much in that regard (though, I suppose that's probably in part due to the notoriety the "hot coffee mod" controversy caused).

Goldeneye is a bad game though.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

kalonZombie posted:

It depends on the Gamestop. The local one in my town tends to have people who are knowledgeable about games and will genuinely steer you clear of games they think are garbage, even if it means losing a sale. Other Gamestops I've been to hire at least one girl with huge tits who doesn't know jack poo poo about video games in an attempt to get nerds to buy subscriptions to their garbage magazine. It's honestly a crapshoot.
I've found that the guys are just as likely, if not more likely, to be total idiots than the girls

johnboy3434 posted:

Having watched your entire Sonic marathon as well as your two Silent Hill LPs, I'm starting to wonder if this is your hardwired default response to every declarative statement. :cheeky:
... Is it?

it is :(

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have never drank a lick of beer in my 24 years of being alive but if the Mario 2 video starts with "HEY DID YOU KNOW THIS IS DOKI DOKI PANIC IN JAPAN" I may consider starting
are you mad about a video we haven't even recorded yet? New record!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Somethingdumb posted:

You know what you must do.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'll go shopping tonight :negative:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kytrarewn posted:

San Andreas had the best atmosphere and city design of any GTA game though?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Somethingdumb posted:

I swear to God if you guys do any Sequelitis jokes in Let's Play 25 Years of Mega Man, I'll be so cross with you.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Somethingdumb posted:

Well now you guys have to start off the video that way.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

As neat as the All-Stars remakes are, there is something much more iconic to the original NES versions. Maybe have a single bonus episode for all of SMAS at some point?

Did they remake the games again for the 25th anniversary All Stars for the Wii? Or did they just port the SNES game and sell it again?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The T posted:

Well now you guys have to start off the video that way.

Oh, it starts out innocently enough. Then it winds up like the Chaotix video and they say it over and over until ThisIsACoolGuy has a stroke.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spintzel posted:

Did they remake the games again for the 25th anniversary All Stars for the Wii? Or did they just port the SNES game and sell it again?

The latter.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Spintzel posted:

They didn't even port it. It's literally a SNES emulator with the SNES ROM on a Wii disc.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It seems so funny to me that only in like the last couple years has it become common knowledge among gamers in the west that Doki Doki Panic was indeed ORIGINALLY designed to be a Super Mario game, then changed part way through to tie in with the TV characters it used. Hell, Miyamoto himself worked on it heavily.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll go shopping tonight :negative:

Welcome to a new and better world, kid. *Passes out in own piss*

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010

They didn't even port it. It's literally a SNES emulator with the SNES ROM on a Wii disc.

Nintendo was lucky they put Galaxy 2 on the shelves in 2010, because if the SMAS rerelease was the only thing* we got for the 25th anniversary of the most widely-known video game in the world, there would have been nerd riots. It was laziness on an unprecedented scale. They didn't even use the version with Super Mario World tacked onto it, for God's sake!

*Yeah, we also got Mario Sports Mix that year, but no one in his right mind would count that.

johnboy3434 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 10, 2013

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Choco1980 posted:

It seems so funny to me that only in like the last couple years has it become common knowledge among gamers in the west that Doki Doki Panic was indeed ORIGINALLY designed to be a Super Mario game, then changed part way through to tie in with the TV characters it used. Hell, Miyamoto himself worked on it heavily.

...wait, it was? I thought Miyamoto just worked on it but it was always meant to be the Doki Doki Panic game.

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Despite the huge collection of Japanese-oriented fandoms in the English-speaking world, it takes for-loving-ever before BtS information like this crosses the language barrier. For example, in the Dragon Ball fandom, a series of in-depth guidebooks on the series have existed in Japan since the mid-90s, but the information and articles in those books didn't start receiving widespread fan translations until about five or so years ago. We're still learning tidbits about the series that Japanese fans knew before GT ended.

johnboy3434 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 10, 2013

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
No one cares about doki doki bullshit. SM2 hasn't even been posted yet. Shut up. We should all be talking about killing Bowser with fireballs; that's really cool.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dickey Butts posted:

No one cares about doki doki bullshit. SM2 hasn't even been posted yet. Shut up. We should all be talking about killing Bowser with fireballs; that's really cool.

I like the part where Bowser throws a lot of hammers.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Choco1980 posted:

So it got Kirby's Epic Yarn-ed halfway through production? Man, Nintendo has a long history of doing things like that.

(Kirby's Epic Yarn was not originally a Kirby game. It was supposed to be a new IP starring Prince Fluff. Eventually it was decided that Prince Fluff was a really boring protagonist and no one would like it, so they crammed the game full of Kirby characters until they thought it would sell.)

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

johnboy3434 posted:

Despite the huge collection of Japanese-oriented fandoms in the English-speaking world, it takes for-loving-ever before BtS information like this crosses the language barrier. For example, in the Dragon Ball fandom, a series of in-depth guidebooks on the series have existed in Japan since the mid-90s, but the information and articles in those books didn't start receiving widespread fan translations until about five or so years ago. We're still learning tidbits about the series that Japanese fans knew before GT ended.
Clearly you're unfamiliar with http://www.daizex.com/.

Edit: Haha, they're still doing the podcast. 329 episodes over 8+ years, all about Dragonball.

quakster fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 10, 2013

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

A new mario video for those of you that stay up all night!

All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (1986)
Part 1/1 (LP pt.7) [Youtube][Source]

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What a bizarre idea for a game.

I knew 95% of Sonic games but Mario games are a totally different story. I hope you guys show off more oddities like this.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Please don't let Keith play again. He bad.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well in a similar manner to the other thread Keith has to be the Luigi to Kyle's Mario right?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Pungry posted:

Mario Kart Wii is the best Mario Kart, thank you :colbert:
Even if that's true, 'Wii' wasn't really the part of 'Mario Kart Wii' I was taking issue with.

Seer235 posted:

Guys, the best Mario Kart is clearly Diddy Kong Racing.
This is fact.

Kytrarewn posted:

Nah, it's normal for game sequels to sell better than the original, especially for games as highly regarded as GTA3 and Vice City. Word of mouth builds over years, people who bought used copies late buy the sequel new at launch, etc. It's also not like San Andres wasn't a great game, either.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What a bizarre idea for a game.

I knew 95% of Sonic games but Mario games are a totally different story. I hope you guys show off more oddities like this.
Wait til you see the next one!

Yeah it was basically a virtual console game that they sold for $30. I'm not usually one for consumer outrage, but that was just a slap in the face.

death .cab for qt posted:

Yeah, you guys don't need to spend quite so long at the menu screen like that. Just jump right in, you can still talk about all the same stuff but also have something visually interesting going on.
When pressing the start button brings the most iconic level in all of video games and it will be gone in 20 seconds, you need to get stuff out of the way ahead of time.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have never drank a lick of beer in my 24 years of being alive but if the Mario 2 video starts with "HEY DID YOU KNOW THIS IS DOKI DOKI PANIC IN JAPAN" I may consider starting.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 10, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Play DDP instead, but act like it's SMB2. That way everyone's happy.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rocketlex posted:

(Kirby's Epic Yarn was not originally a Kirby game. It was supposed to be a new IP starring Prince Fluff. Eventually it was decided that Prince Fluff was a really boring protagonist and no one would like it, so they crammed the game full of Kirby characters until they thought it would sell.)

It did. I am always itching for a new Kirby game and that intro sold me so hard on a cuter, more adorible, Kirby.

"It feels like pants" :3:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
You guys don't have to complain about how bad I am at Mario when I start off by saying "I don't like Mario and I'm bad at it, look how bad I am". :colbert:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Somethingdumb posted:

You guys don't have to complain about how bad I am at Mario when I start off by saying "I don't like Mario and I'm bad at it, look how bad I am". :colbert:

I think Keith needs to play every Mario game to completion for now on.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Somethingdumb posted:

But you're soooo bad! I think you're just reckless, though- dammit you're a loose Mario cannon who plays by his own Mario rules!

Anyways this is really weird- they did this promotional version of the game and took the opportunity to change things they didn't like from the original, or for no reason I guess? Why did they change the art for the ground, trees, clouds, mushrooms, and moving platforms?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Monkey Fracas posted:

Anyways this is really weird- they did this promotional version of the game and took the opportunity to change things they didn't like from the original, or for no reason I guess? Why did they change the art for the ground, trees, clouds, mushrooms, and moving platforms?

Back in the day, you didn't save your assets from old games. They were done, they've been shipped, why do you need them anymore? They're taking up entire precious kilobytes! That's WAY too much space you could be using for something else. As a result, I think because they were working on Super Mario Bros. 2, they pulled the assets from there instead. They were on hand, the levels were relatively easy to recreate, and you saved a bit of money in the process.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Clearly you need to include Keith in a full two-player campaign for 3 and World. :colbert:

If it's anything like we just saw, I'd rather not.

"Oops, I died halfway through the level to a goomba. Now it's Kyle's turn again."

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 10, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Clearly you need to include Keith in a full two-player campaign for 3 and World. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
All Night Nippon might have actually come out after Lost Levels, they both came out in 1986 but ANN doesn't have an exact release date. It also apparently has the letter worlds from Lost Levels, and I think Luigi controls like he does in LL instead of controlling exactly like Mario does.

Also if continue makes you continue on that world then what the hell does retry do?

• Locked thread