Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ArchWizard posted:

Breakfast food discussion made me wonder what Mario would eat, so I looked up Italian breakfast foods on Wikipedia. It turns out people in Italy just have coffee with bread/rolls with butter and jam. Sometimes they eat biscottis.

I don't know if I could take the Mario brothers seriously if I went into Starbucks one morning and saw them drinking espresso and eating biscottis.

Mario's Cartoon Italian. He eats a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs for every meal, and he eats it on a table with a checkerboard tablecloth and he wears a blue napkin as a bib. Also he eats it by slurping up a single noodle that allows him to consume everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somethingdumb posted:

He was just responding to something we discussed in the episode. Maybe dont take Mario 2 stat debates so seriously: either its all nonsense or none of it is.

Your calming influence and scrupulous demands for politeness and reason are by far the best part of your LPs. You boys are the philosopher kings of Let's Play.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, I was on the fence about Quiz, but the more I hear, the more I think he has the strength of will to return our nation to greatness. I pledge myself to Quiz. My life for you!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ultimetalhead posted:

Fair enough. I wasn't around for the Sonic LP and I'm just catching up.

I realize it's a ton of work, but if they were able to throw up so much content during the Sonic LP in such a short period of time, I'm just wondering what has changed.

They had recorded it all before they started, or at least had a huge lead of already-recorded material.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kalonZombie posted:

The Nintendo Power letters column was a weird place (that i got into at some point once).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can you do the chupacabra noise at least one more time guys? I can't get enough of that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a spooky ghost posted:

Hearing you guys talk about Ready Player One makes me wish it was a way better book. The book as a whole left a pretty bad taste in my mouth, to the point of, I guess, kind of forgetting that the premise and world-building concepts are sorta cool in their dumb way. But Cline's way of going about turning those ideas in a novel pretty much revealed how clumsy and weak an author he was handing characters and dialogue and everything else that goes into. It felt like fan fiction to me. And like I get it, geek culture geek book probably good intentions, but after about a third of the way through, whole thing sort of sunk into itself and ended up a total slog until the end.

It blows my mind that film rights to this thing were sold even before publication. I wouldn't want to be a part of the team that has to go and get the rights to use even half of the IPs that play pretty significant roles in the book.

We're turning into that planet from that one star trek where they all talk in cultural references all the time, aren't we?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, what the gently caress kind of weirdo still uses discussion forums in 2013?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zinco posted:

Here's a fun little TAS of someone loving up the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHlp143FCDk

So it's news to me that the viruses are aliens that came to earth on a spaceship. Also is that poo poo falling from the sky at the end a bunch of Dr. Mario's pills or millions more of the viruses?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do the Chupacabra again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zeikier posted:

Beyond some sound grammar rules that are conjured from the dirt that is English grammar, a lot of Strunk's guide boils down to his personal bias (or not liking how some young'uns use some words). It's nice getting some ground rules for the language, but now and then the rules are just silly and/or dated.

Brevity and directness are pretty pro guidelines when writing. Most of the things you're taught as rules for English are suggestions for clarity. Keith could probably set us straight wrt Strunk and White if he's still pursuing a writing career.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I watched for a bit this morning and drat you were fresh and feisty for being awake for like 20 hours straight by then.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there some context to give for Kasey? I don't want to be disrespectful and definitely want to learn more about the Illuminati, but she sounded a little bit like maybe she had taken some amphetamines before the interview.

I would especially like to know more about lizard people if there's a part 3 at some future point.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somethingdumb posted:

We were arguing about her libertarianism and she mentioned the illuminati (the first time i'd ever heard it from her) and it was so crazy that i just said gently caress it and turned my recorder on.

Doesn't she get that a strong, interventionist state would be the best protection against the Illuminati? Libertopia is basically a place where oligarchs rule openly and with total security, which is basically that conspiracy bullshit without the lizard people, schizophrenia, or coded anti-semitism. She's already telling you that 19th-century robber barons founded the Illuminati in the first place: what does she think is going to happen with less regulations or protections?

But don't worry--most clever teenagers go through a libertarian phase before learning humility at 19 or 20. Will there be a part 2?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Watching Lucas play a sonic 2 warms my heart so much. I want to watch him beat that game so much.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

drat guys, just hug that loving cat. All she wants is love and community. You can post a video of hugging the cat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This isn't Marko-related, but one of the videos you posted to your YouTube channel isn't viewable from inside the United States. Can you fix that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GauRocks posted:

That one Mario-related Super Scope game is actually a huge part of the Mario canon and a major turning point for the series, at least in America. Keep your eyes peeled during the intro.

Is it Nintendo's first openly gay couple?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ChaosSamusX posted:

Will this thread include spin-offs that are technically within the Mario Universe (such as the Wario series of games, all of the games with just Yoshi and no Mario in sight, etc)?

Was their second featured game not I Am a Teacher: Mario No Sweater?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lemur Crisis posted:

On-topic since political correctness has been mentioned in videos: This Keith effortpost is kind of really good.

Keith, you're the chillest guy on the internet. You're like a pop-culture Bob Ross, calming my rear end down with the chill truth and Pea Pod the squirrel.

I don't even know what Far Cry is, but if I did I would be furious at somebody about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The most offensive part of Far Cry 4's cover is the guy's suit. That sort of pink should have been banned in the 80's.

EDIT:

Actually, since we're all talking about your blog post:

This paragraph sets my teeth on edge. So, somebody who disagrees with you is either: racist, sexist, homophobic...or a company? A company of what? A company of heroes? A company of "problematic" people? Do you mean corporations? Because corporations aren't entities capable of racism, unless that racism is a means to create profit. gently caress, no, I wouldn't want to hang out with a whiner, and I wouldn't want to hang out with somebody who feels that it is essential we never offend anybody because god forbid, somebody's feelings get hurt. This is childish logic, it's like saying "either you're with me or you are evil". You're making broad generalizations of some sort of nebulous group of faceless creatures that could be "racists" or "sexists", a label that you can freely levy at anything or anyone to whom you can find justification for offense. I'm glad you have an intimate understanding of this imaginary enemy you have neatly created that you can tell me exactly what they think of me, personally, and the way I think and communicate.

Childish thinking is actually plugging your ears and yelling "IT'S JUST A JOKE WHY CAN'T YOU TAKE A JOKE IT'S NO BIG DEAL!" when people who have experienced things you haven't try to teach you what the world looks like from their point of view. An adult can listen to another person describe his or her response to life without resorting to deaf defensiveness and yelling "your argument doesn't exist because it's hard for me to imagine what it's like to be you!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You're either with us or against us.

I believe it was RUSH who said, "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the gun on the left? The Japanese SNES gun accessory? It looks like less of a pain in the rear end than the super scope.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best lesson I ever learned was to shut the gently caress up and listen when people started yelling at me for saying dumb poo poo.

Also that social justice is more than an empty debate club exercise that you engage in because it's fun to antagonize an earnest person with strong emotion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can Lucas try Mario Party if you need a fourth player?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jesus Christ just hug that cat. She is a good cat. Kiss her head and say, "you are a cat!" Post pictures.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm sorry that I harassed you about petting the cat when you're allergic, Keith. Your calm and direct manner makes the internet a decent place.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somethingdumb posted:

Maybe I'll get back to it. Not sure what I said in the episode but I watched -almost- the entire first season (but maybe the whole thing). I checked but couldn't really place an exact episode. I'm totally willing to believe there's something to it.

The last two episodes kick the show into an excellent gear that lasts for the following two seasons. It's a pretty clever show with amazing performances all around. Even Pacey, in his way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't know if it's cool to talk about other videos on the channel, but FoodBoyz is blowing my mind up in here. You inspired me to try a honeydew.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Has there ever been a main Zelda entry where someone had the brains to take out Link before he became a badass have it up to Zelda to save Link in order to fulfill the bullshit prophecy?

Let me tell you about a magical system called the CD-i, my friend...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In the original Zelda, I didn't think of the main character as a man or woman. I was 12. We should go back to that lively green androgyne square.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yoshi's Cookie was the most epic saga of discovery and mastery I have ever seen. I tune in for every video hoping to see more.

If Lost Levels had a crotch, I would kick it several times before pounding it in with a length of pipe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kyle, "Karn Evil 9" is on Brain Salad Surgery, which is like their best album. Go get it and concentrate with your full attention for like an hour while you listen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"And You and I" on Close to the Edge is so, so great.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pibb X-tra is best soda. I normally go for diet sodas, but I will cross over for Pibb X-tra.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Keith, your drunk English teacher sounds boss. Now that you're an adult, tell me you would be able to chaperone a high-school dance without being drunk.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, has anyone mentioned Super Hornio Bros. 2? It completely skipped my mind when they were doing the movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What's the french word for "recursion"?

Dolphin

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Frenchman was Rousseau, who hosed about 3/4 as much as Franklin. Locke was the British man who believed that salt caused all conflict between people because it meant you could stockpile preserved meat and become rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nickels? What are you, poor?

• Locked thread