Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Watching you guys play Yoshi's Island is like watching Pentacostal Christians have sex. Just going through the motions with only the end result in mind, while totally missing out on all the fun and joy of the act itself.

Yoshi's Island is entirely too long of a game. It's definitely cute, and there are some mechanics to it, but it is incredibly boring most of the time. There would be nothing to the videos if they only talked about the game. And who thought a baby screaming would be fun to listen to every time you got hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I'd say it leans more towards the 15 hour mark, but yes. Super Mario World was a long game, but it had diverging paths that could speed the game up or slow it down. There were secrets to find. This game takes that away and gives you :siren:POINTS!:siren: I believe it was a big step back. Also as another one said, there are points of no return that make exploring some areas thoroughly a pain if you forget you can't go back.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Didn't know I'd spark such a response! But for my 2 cents, they could've added another visual cue such as a chat box saying WAHHHHHH! coming from the baby. They could've left the sound alarm being the beeping that they have on top of the screaming. Even having the screaming, they could've added it in as a mechanic that when a monkey/mask guy nabs the baby, he's covering the babies mouth so you don't hear the kid, but they didn't do that either.

It's weird because I know one sound effect should be a minor issue, but they made it an issue because for some people that's just too much. A baby screaming just isn't what you want to hear. I'm in the minority likely but of all the Mario games I've played growing up, Yoshi's Island is one I've never been able to finish or pick back up. I've played Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine to completion. I just can't do this one so I appreciate these guys efforts and them skipping the nooks and crannies makes it all the nicer.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I for one like content to be spread out. If they focus on a game like Exile it could be done in 3 sittings easily with the Lets Play over in 2 weeks of editing time. And that'd be spreading it out.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Gandalf21 posted:

I rewatched all of Dragonball and DBZ a few years ago and came away feeling that Dragonball was the much better show overall.

I share this sentiment. Dragonball is awesome and everyone should watch it. It's corny and while it does suffer some of the bloat that DBZ and GT later had, its just a percentage, nowhere near as inflated for length.

Some of my favorite stuff:
Goku learning how to read and count from Roshi's adult magazines.
Krillin's tournament victory via remembering he doesn't have a nose.
Everything Emperor Pilaf does.

Also, that is clearly not a river of blood in a PG game. It's spaghetti sauce. Those Koopa's really like spaghetti.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 11, 2015

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Depends on what you mean by "doing well". He did do a good job at getting through levels, but when you watch you can clearly see that 1. They aren't paying attention and 2. They aren't giving a poo poo about collecting things. I tried watching the actual video and you get frustrated at them not picking up things in plain sight, or not trying to get to the side areas. Watching them win the level, though, beats out watching 20 minutes of the same level because they aren't paying attention to the obvious puzzle solutions.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I didn't mean to say I want them to pick up everything in the game. There is a middle ground between running through the stage as fast as possible and finding everything there is to find. You can see them run by a flower, easily reachable, and just not press the jump button. I can see where that would annoy some gamers OCD. I honestly hope they DON'T go crazy and collect every single star or something in Mario 64. That'd take ages.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
One of the favorite things about Mario RPG was that you didn't have to grind at all. It isn't bright to skip everything imaginable, but you didn't have to re-clear areas to keep up in levels. The game was enjoyable at an easy pace.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

DKC is and has always been bad.

There are stupid people that exist that still to this very day believe the SNES is somehow running real-time 3D graphics in that game.

Whoa whoa whoa there. I can believe in people being idiots, but DKC is in no way a "bad" game. First one could definitely use polish and DKC2 is widely considered a great game.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I would like them to move on. They obviously aren't into it, it'd be a terrible slog. Don't make every game be a Yoshi's Island.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Dresh posted:

At least now the game would force them to go to the shop in order to progress. I wouldn't mind if K&K revisit this game at some point, but there's no need to focus on it for now. And, like the shop and toad's capture in the first area, I am a bit worried about what other things they may completely miss.

It's funny you mention missing things with the first sentence. You actually aren't required to go to the shop to progress at all. I think I made it through 2 goes of the game when I was younger before I even found out going back to the shop was a thing.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Well they were in a hurry presumably and not fighting things. Not fighting things in RPG's will tend to get you underpowered. If they'd cleared (or even half cleared) 2 of the 3 screens they needed to take to fight Croco, they would've gotten to level 3-4 w/o needing to do the star 3 times.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Nighthand posted:

I'm guessing it was Atrus that painted the pictures in the castle, during his art school phase. Or maybe Sirrus or Achenar, since the worlds aren't really complete.

Incomplete worlds are totally Gehn. S & A never learned how to make them.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Your reaction about "I've never seen this many 450lbs+ people at once" is similar to my reaction to when I lived in Texas. You know maybe... one person with a lazy eye in your life. In Texas you just kind of see it a lot more often. Like a unique person each day and you just start to think to yourself... "Why am I seeing so many people like this all of the sudden?"

I enjoy Old Country Buffet, but you're totally right. It's either huge people, or its huge families with 10 year old kids running around w/o supervision. Or both.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Dear God. :stare:

Three lightning bolts and no dick moves with the big jump in Wario Stadium.

And then it was all redeemed by the DK map.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 27, 2015

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
The impression I got of the early games: Bowser/DK: slow accel., highest top speed, heavy Mario/Luigi: middle ground in everything Toad/Koopa(SNES): Fast accel., high handling, light Peach/Yoshi: Fastest accel., low handling, heavier than toad, but i felt lower top speed.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Mario Party was a punishment. Especially on the N64 with the awful hard joysticks. I remember rotating it with the palm of my hand so much I caused the skin to blister.

Also gently caress whoever thought the best thing to do at the end of the games was to add in Dumbledore "gently caress you Slytherine" points. Unless you have a commanding lead of 4+ stars you can lose at the end from that dickery.

E: Also, good job on picking Luigi. Luigi master race.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 13, 2015

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I absolutely LOVED Mischief Makers except for the awful control scheme on the SHAKE SHAAKE~! But you get used to it after a while.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I consider Banjoe-Kazooie less a platformer and more a "collect random junk for infinity" game. See: Dragon, Spyro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I don't know if i can finish the video. How is it possible for two adults to not beat the first level of a Dr. Mario game.

• Locked thread