Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I think the reason the flame on 75M never went down was because you started riding the elevator up to the top, then going to the left for the parasol. If you just climb the ladders you get to the parasol before the flame's made it to the top. It looks like he just follows you up and down the ladders.

Also everyone should watch King of Kong, I saw it with people who couldn't care less about video games and they loved it. It's legitimately good, not a "so bad it's good" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Donkey Kong Jr. and Mario Bros both aren't great. Sometimes I wonder why the series anniversary always seems to treat Super Mario Bros as the start, but then I see footage of Mario Bros and remember it isn't really worth celebrating.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

stereobreadsticks posted:

I didn't realize that the original Donkey Kong Jr. only had those two levels. I had Donkey Kong Classics for the NES as a kid and the version on that had two additional levels that I think were an improvement on the first and last levels.

I actually just looked up a video and it seems like the arcade version of Donkey Kong Jr. handled levels the same way Donkey Kong did, where the American version goes 1, 4, 1, 2, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, but the Japanese version just uses all four levels in the first rotation.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I like how the boxart for Pinball doesn't match the name at all.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Bowser was called Bowser back then, it's just all of the official American media like the cartoons and movie that called him King Koopa.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

MR. J posted:

Is that from the manual or some guide? Seeing the word "kill" on a Nintendo product is something I was not expecting.

It's from the manual. Nintendo's strict family friendly shtick must not've come until a bit later, I'm guessing sometime after the release of the original Zelda where Ganon explodes into a pile of bloody chunks at the end.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Waffleman_ posted:

The first level of the first New Super Mario Bros on DS is 1-1.

Do you mean it's called 1-1, or that it's literally the same level layout as 1-1? Because I'm pretty sure the latter isn't true.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
All Night Nippon might have actually come out after Lost Levels, they both came out in 1986 but ANN doesn't have an exact release date. It also apparently has the letter worlds from Lost Levels, and I think Luigi controls like he does in LL instead of controlling exactly like Mario does.

Also if continue makes you continue on that world then what the hell does retry do?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I found a video of the flying power-up in SMB Special and it sure is special.

"You want me to make Mario fly? Psssh, gently caress that, I'm just gonna recycle the code for swimming."

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Rocketlex posted:

I do know he's gone on record saying he finds Super Mario World too embarrassing to play these days. While he doesn't dislike it, he just sees all the things he would have done differently if he could make it again, and it makes him really hard for him to enjoy it.

I always thought that was interesting, and a good reminder that creative people will always find their older work embarrassing, even if it's considered legendarily good by their audience.

You're thinking of Super Mario Bros. 3. Super Mario World is a masterpiece and is Miyamoto's favorite Mario game.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Super Mario no Sweater is just someone not translating part of the name for no reason, some places just call it "I Am a Teacher: Super Mario Sweater"

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Of course not all Shy Guys are bad guys, they're individual people you racist.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Rockdash posted:

Nintendo designed the NES to look like a serious piece of hardware instead of a toy, because of the video game industry crash of the 80s. Basically the reason the console and carts were dull, colorless grey was because of those ET guys that they killed and buried under the ocean.

Weren't Nintendo going for the complete opposite though? They bundled ROB in to make the NES seem more like a robot toy than a video game console since no retailers wanted to stock those anymore. I think the gray color scheme was more so just to fit in with other electronics at the time, which is unfortunate since the Famicom is way cooler looking.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Law posted:

Just get a cat, assholes.

Some people want a pet that actually gives a poo poo about them.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
The Japanese Zapper is way cooler because it's just a revolver.

Also arbitrary mention that you can shoot the dog in the arcade version of Duck Hunt.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I didn't really care too much when you were kinda bad at Tetris but holy poo poo you are so bad at Dr. Mario.

Also Dr. Mario is not a "B-tier" puzzle game, game is legit.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
You get a lot more height with the cape by divebombing and then pulling up out of the divebomb. Also those blocks that lines of coins come out of are controlled with the D-Pad.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
The Japanese version of Super Mario Bros 3 actually works the same way, it was only the American version (and I guess by extension the European version) where getting hit turned you back into Super Mario. It's why Raccoon Mario turns small on the title screen of 3 after getting hit with a koopa shell.

Starting with those GBA ports all Mario games have started incorporating the US SMB3 system of getting hit turning you into Super Mario, and I've never been a fan because these games are easy enough as it is.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I like the current format, seeing the games in the order they came out is cool and the build-up to the next major game of playing a bunch of spin-offs was a lot of fun in the Sonic LP, as well as a nice break inbetween the "important" games. Mario games aren't that long if you're not 100%ing them, I don't think there'll ever be so many videos of one game in a row that it'll get boring.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Comrade Question posted:

tails lil buddy i am
unwell

(:nws: if you work at Nintendo or Sega or any other place)

Fuckin' christ. I was not ready for this.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Darthemed posted:

Kind of surprised nobody's mentioned this yet, but EARTH TO KYLE: Goonies II was actually the sequel to the Japan-only Goonies NES game.

Going off of this a bit, Mikey also appeared in the Japan only Konami Wai Wai World, which was a crossover between a bunch of "Konami" characters like Simon Belmont, Goemon and King Kong. It's weird that a character from The Goonies is playable in three separate games.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Who drew that picture of Mario in Body World and why didn't they do the art for the rest of the game. That looks so much better than literally everything else in the entire game.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Gimbal lock posted:

Was that the first Cannon use of the name "Peach" in America, or am I forgetting something?

The Super Scope is a bazooka, not a cannon.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Europe got the way better deal on this one, you get to choose from ten games including Wonderful 101 and Monster Hunter. I'm glad the US selection isn't entirely poo poo though. Haven't picked up Wind Waker HD yet because I don't want to pay $50 for a port of a game I still own in its original format, so I'm planning on downloading that one. Anyone in Europe who doesn't have Wonderful 101 should choose that though because it's the best game on the system.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Very upset at the lack of Tetris Smacktalk in this video. You're supposed to shittalk the opponent Keith, not the game.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm pretty sure Mario has a green outline because they just took the Luigi sprite from Mario is Missing and recolored it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
How long does it take Kyle to realize he can use Yoshi's tongue to catch Baby Mario. I can't imagine playing this game without knowing that.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Ometeotl posted:

Seriously, who has ever thought of the quality of Yoshi's Island as "controversial"?

Jeff Gerstmann doesn't like Yoshi's Island, and they mention Giant Bomb a lot so I think that's what they're thinking of. One person doesn't make a controversy though.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I think the reasons opinions differ so much more on Yoshi's Island than a regular Mario game is because the mechanics in Yoshi's Island are so much more complicated. Whether you're really good or really bad at Super Mario World the things you're doing are more or less the same, one play is just worse at doing those things than the other. In Yoshi's Island the experienced player and the new player might as well be playing different games.

I didn't really like YI much until I saw a speedrun and realized just how much you can do with the mechanics. Outside of rare occasions the game doesn't really force you to utilize mechanics like bouncing eggs off of walls or spitting out enemies into other enemies, so it's easy to go through the whole game without ever getting decent at it or picking up on the nuances of the game. You can kind of see this in play during both videos so far, where Kyle or Keith will find a flower or a ? cloud or something that's in an odd spot because the game's trying to teach you utilize the mechanics in some advanced ways, but because it's optional they quickly lose interest and continue onward.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Granted, this dumb thing was meant to be an answer to the N64's controller design, so maybe they could have considered giving it a shape that wasn't actually worse than the abstract art piece that is the N64 controller.

Okay, I legit don't get the "How the hell are you supposed to hold this thing?!?!" comments about the N64 controller. You hold the left prong if it's a 2D game. You hold the middle prong if it's a 3D game. I figured this out when I was six. It's not rocket science.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's an overly clever design that accomplishes nothing. It feels terrible in your hands, the c-buttons were basically only there to compensate for the fact that you couldn't use the d-pad and the analog stick at the same time, and that analog stick was made of graham cracker internally because no one has used a good N64 stick since roughly 1997.

No one is actually confused about how to hold it, it's just dumb as hell.

It's almost as if they were breaking new ground and hadn't perfected things yet. I'm not saying it's still a fantastic controller that holds up against the controllers today, but nobody was complaining about it while the N64 was still relevant. Nobody found it uncomfortable, or questioned why you couldn't use the D-Pad and the stick at the same time. It's only when you compare it to modern controllers that you can say "Man, the N64 controller was dumb." The Saturn analog pad is a joke, and the original Dual Shock is an uncomfortable piece of poo poo too but people have some kind of Stockholm syndrome for it just because Sony kept the design around for an extra sixteen years.

RZApublican posted:

Unfortunately this will never be the case because you're playing an N64 :v:

I played a poo poo-ton of Pokemon Puzzle League, and even if you can use the analog stick it is clearly not the preferred control option. But yeah, pretty much.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Zinco posted:

A lot of games reward exploration with tangible advantages, like new equipment or money or, in the case of Super Mario World, different paths and levels. Yoshi's Island rewards exploration with actual fun parts. I think that's a model that only really doesn't make sense if your objective is to just blow through the game to get to the next one, which is unfortunately kind of the point of a 30-year retrospective LP. The design is sound if you're approaching the game on its own terms. (There's probably a lot of movies, books, etc. where you could say approximately the same thing.)

Sorry bro it's 2014, everything has to be on the critical path or I ain't seein' it. Exploration is dead long live Calla Duty.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Geop's an LP mod and he has an LP where he constantly dies, misses obvious cues, gets lost and can't comprehend simple paragraphs of text in Game Literally Made for Babies The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, so I don't think there's an expectation that you have to be good at video games or edit out failure in LPs nowadays.

That being said I don't think LPs and LPers should be above criticism when they put out a bad video, but SA has been moving away from its rigid standards of what an LP is and isn't for a while now.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Paul Zuvella posted:

Being bad at a video game and making bad videos are separate issues.

I would say Geop is guilty of both of these, but if people like watching his Wind Waker LP that's their prerogative.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

SorataYuy posted:

Congratulations, you have an incorrect opinion. Also possibly a forum deathwish. *edges away from the person dumb enough to criticize a mod in the mod's own playground*

I don't think Geop's petty enough to probate or ban someone for just saying they don't like his work. Or petty in general for that matter.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Judge Tesla posted:

People getting awfully defensive about a dumb Yoshi game itt, but eh I'm waiting for the Mario 64 videos to come out so I can poop on that game, for it's time it was great but, it pales in comparison to Sunshine, level design wise.

I bet you're gonna be the one complaining when they (rightfully) poo poo all over Mario Sunshine for being tedious/repetitive.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Nintendo still owns the Seattle Mariners for the record. I wonder if Nintendo gets some kind of royalties from Sony to use their team in MLB The Show.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Pneub posted:

Pretty much every actor I can think of from the 90's dub was way better than who they're using now. They should've tried harder to get some of them back.

That's because they originally used an actual voice studio for the show. In a cost cutting decision after a couple of seasons they basically hired people off of the street, putting out a local casting call and hiring a bunch of people who had either done local theater or had literally never acted before.

Also to the guy asking about Dragon Ball I would recommend just reading the manga instead. Not only is it paced much better and doesn't have a bunch of terrible filler episodes, but it will also save you a poo poo load of time. Dragon Ball is 153 episodes, which at roughly 22 minutes a show works out to 3366 minutes, or 56.1 hours. That is a lot of Dragon Ball.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I think Jolly Roger Bay might be the only water level in all of video games I genuinely enjoy, but I'm sure the song goes a long way in that. The dynamic music that changes when you're in the water and in the cave is a subtle but nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
There seems to actually be two old country buffet twitter accounts and each of you are following a different one. That's in addition to the separate home town buffet account.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 8, 2015

• Locked thread